Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Robert Mugabe dead (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708134)

MalteseFalcon 06-09-2019 10:37

Robert Mugabe dead

Former Zimbabwe independence leader turned authoritarian leader has died aged 95.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-49604152

From what I gather of his life, he was a well respected leader until he turned into a dictator. Zimbabwe can only get better now. Apparently, he was ousted in a military coup in 2017 and was in Singapore having treatment since April.

OLD BOY 06-09-2019 13:14

Re: Robert Mugabe dead

Yes, the British had high hopes for him at the beginning. It's a shame, because the new Zimbabwe had such good economic prospects. His people did not deserve the trauma that man inflicted on them.

Maggy 06-09-2019 16:56

Too many corrupt despots after the end of former colonies..Something they acquired from former masters of said colonies.

nomadking 06-09-2019 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36009122)
Too many corrupt despots after the end of former colonies..Something they acquired from former masters of said colonies.

:confused: They were more peaceful and democratic than those who took over.

Chris 06-09-2019 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36009130)
:confused: They were more peaceful and democratic than those who took over.

Aside from having a top layer of government imposed from a foreign country, that is. Whatever the possible merits of colonial rule might have been, democracy is a strange claim to make.

nomadking 06-09-2019 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36009131)
Aside from having a top layer of government imposed from a foreign country, that is. Whatever the possible merits of colonial rule might have been, democracy is a strange claim to make.

Your claim was about where despots took over.

On the whole these countries didn't exist before colonisation. What went before that, wouldn't have been peaceful or democratic.

Maggy 07-09-2019 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36009147)
Your claim was about where despots took over.

On the whole these countries didn't exist before colonisation. What went before that, wouldn't have been peaceful or democratic.

Rubbish! All those colonies were independent countries in their own right. They didn’t want or even get a chance to say no to colonisation.

Sephiroth 07-09-2019 22:07

Hope he rots in hell.

heero_yuy 08-09-2019 07:11

I hope Shinigami's got a nice hot seat for him.

Ramrod 08-09-2019 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36009309)
Hope he rots in hell.

Seconded

tweetiepooh 09-09-2019 12:49

I would not wish hell on anyone.

The problem in Zim and maybe coming to South Africa is that there are those who want the land but don't care about farming it "industrially". In both cases you still need those who can farm on big scale to feed the large urban populations. Dividing up land to smaller "kraals" to pay off you supporters satisfies those supporters but can't scale up.

Maggy 09-09-2019 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36009474)

The problem in Zim and maybe coming to South Africa is that there are those who want the land but don't care about farming it "industrially". In both cases you still need those who can farm on big scale to feed the large urban populations. Dividing up land to smaller "kraals" to pay off you supporters satisfies those supporters but can't scale up.

:tu:

Sephiroth 09-09-2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36009474)

Not even a genocidal monster? Not Hitler/Himmler either?

Chris 09-09-2019 17:27

Ooh, we’re straying perilously close to a theological discussion ... haven’t had one of those in a long time ... :angel:

Sephiroth 09-09-2019 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36009525)
Ooh, we’re straying perilously close to a theological discussion ... haven’t had one of those in a long time ... :angel:

Nah. "Diabolos" is not a deity. I believe from my lesson, a wannabe.

Somewhat like Mugabe, one suspects.