Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   PC getting slow , would really appreciate your recommendations please (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711478)

caroline 17-11-2022 12:30

PC getting slow , would really appreciate your recommendations please

so my pc is getting slow now so i want to upgrade it to make it faster when coming on and going between pages , i would really appreciate your recommendations as to what to buy as i am really not techy on these things .

so currently i have
4 gig of ram
motherboard - GA-H55M-S2H

and are thinking about buying scandisc ssd plus 1 TB sata 111
to run widows on as i have a very old hardrive in it at the moment [12 yers old ]

what would you recomend if anything , do i need to buy a new motherboard if so what one ? .

pip08456 17-11-2022 12:49

Re: pc getting slow , would really appreciate your recommdations please

The SSD will speed things up and may be enough for you.

Jaymoss 17-11-2022 12:50

More ram and an SSD

Check to see if you have 1 ram stick or 2 ( your board has 2 slots. If you have 1 stick you could source a 4GB stick to double it if it is 2x2 then I would buy a 8GB dual memory pack if you can find one (DDR3)

Can not argue the choice of SSD

tweetiepooh 17-11-2022 12:51

RAM is usually the easiest and most effective speed up but will depend on how your motherboard is populated. ie if you have spare memory slots it's easier.
SSD can also speed things up but could be more work, you may need a cradle as SSD's are smaller than standard desktop SATA disks.
A new mother board may need new Windows license. Going that way may be cheaper to get a new PC. New motherboard likely needs new RAM and new other bits and pieces plus new Windows license.

Jaymoss 17-11-2022 12:53

Amazon actually stock 8GB kits. (8GB is max board supports) https://www.amazon.co.uk/motoeagle-1...zcF9tdGY&psc=1

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36140205)
RAM is usually the easiest and most effective speed up but will depend on how your motherboard is populated. ie if you have spare memory slots it's easier.
SSD can also speed things up but could be more work, you may need a cradle as SSD's are smaller than standard desktop SATA disks.
A new mother board may need new Windows license. Going that way may be cheaper to get a new PC. New motherboard likely needs new RAM and new other bits and pieces plus new Windows license.

No mechanical parts to an ssd so you can simply just fit one screw or velcro it to the bottom of the case or chassis somewhere

I literally just sold my ole i7 2700K system from the same era. Still more than capable so no need for a new board imo

caroline 17-11-2022 13:38

thankyou for the replys , i have 4 gig of ram , should i get more ?

my motherboard is 12 years old thats why i thought maybe get a new one , but dont know what one ?
can anyone find one in the sales please , want a good one thoe that i wont have to replace for some years

Halcyon 17-11-2022 13:52

Definately upgrade the RAM to atleast 8GB.

SSD will speed things up too.

Dude111 17-11-2022 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline
thankyou for the replys , i have 4 gig of ram , should i get more ?

Wow all you guys have so much Ram...... Im glad I can get by with 56.8 Megs! (Its 64 Megs but 8 are reserved for the monitor video)

I guess its because windows uses the swap file if it needs more.. (And it does as sometimes I see that file huge)

Paul 17-11-2022 14:58

Re: PC getting slow , would really appreciate your recommendations please

SSD will speed it up, if you use it as your main disk.
Reinstall the OS on it, or move the OS to it, their are utilities that can do this.
This is assuming you have at least Windows 7, anything before that doesnt handle SSD so well.

Jaymoss 17-11-2022 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36140214)
Definately upgrade the RAM to atleast 8GB.

SSD will speed things up too.

8GB is the max the board takes. Seeing as it is not silly expensive I would definitely upgrade to that

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36140228)
SSD will speed it up, if you use it as your main disk.
Reinstall the OS on it, or move the OS to it, their are utilities that can do this.
This is assuming you have at least Windows 7, anything before that doesnt handle SSD so well.

I use backupper. Will clone the disk or take a system image to put on the new disk.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36140227)
Wow all you guys have so much Ram...... Im glad I can get by with 56.8 Megs! (Its 64 Megs but 8 are reserved for the monitor video)

I guess its because windows uses the swap file if it needs more.. (And it does as sometimes I see that file huge)

you do know the swap file is stupidly slow compared to ram plus you are likely running a stupidly slow PATA hard drive

Halcyon 17-11-2022 16:24

Sometimes its better for a fresh install. Back up your files but a fresh install of the OS.

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36140227)

I've always wondered, Is there a reason you run an out of date (security risk), old computer? What on earth can you be running that needs such an old machine?

Jaymoss 17-11-2022 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 36140240)
Sometimes its better for a fresh install. Back up your files but a fresh install of the OS.

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

I've always wondered, Is there a reason you run an out of date (security risk), old computer? What on earth can you be running that needs such an old machine?

I run a windows 98 virtual machine that would do it all anyway hahaha

Corey N Georgie 17-11-2022 18:13

I agree with whats being said here, upgrade ram to atleast 8GB and a good quality SSD of atleast 240GB in size.

DocDutch 18-11-2022 07:00

looking at the motherboard it is DDR3 you'll be hard pushed to find that still new :(

depending where in the world you are might be cheaper to get a new computer off the shelf.

this is the list of supported CPU's https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...rt#support-cpu

I would go for a replacement pc to be honest will be cheaper and a lot faster even a very basic pc with a ssd in there will be so much faster than what you got.

Jaymoss 18-11-2022 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 36140294)
looking at the motherboard it is DDR3 you'll be hard pushed to find that still new :(

depending where in the world you are might be cheaper to get a new computer off the shelf.

this is the list of supported CPU's https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...rt#support-cpu

I would go for a replacement pc to be honest will be cheaper and a lot faster even a very basic pc with a ssd in there will be so much faster than what you got.

21 quid for 8GB £25 for an SSD where you gonna get an off the shelf PC for that hahaha

https://www.amazon.co.uk/motoeagle-1...zcF9tdGY&psc=1

Depending on the CPU the board it could still be more than adequate for the needs. My Dad is still running an SKT 1156 i7 PC. And is still more than happy with it