Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   2021 Box Office Stats (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710353)

General Maximus 05-09-2021 14:30

2021 Box Office Stats

Although we are heading towards the end of the year I thought now is the perfect time to see how the year has gone so far because I think we are going to see a big change over the next couple of months as some big films get released. The box office has been dominated by Chinese movies and even more so last year as the biggest market, the US, has been in various lockdowns and restrictions and cinemas have been closed.

We are used to seeing films around the $1bn mark populating the top 10 but nothing could be further from the truth atm which is a reflection of how the industry has been affected by covid. I am really surprised Fast 9 has done as well as it has and it probably isn't too far off what was predicted pre-pandemic. I am disappointed Free Guy isn't doing better, it is such a good film and I thought it would do $400m+.

I wanted to have a look at things now because we have arguably got the best films of the year coming out soon. Shang Chi has just been released and over the next few months we have got No Time To Die, Eternals, Ghostbusters, Spiderman and The Matrix; each of which you would expect to circle the $1bn mark so one would expect the top 10 to dramatically change. I can't wait to see how Shang Chi does over the next couple of weeks.

General Maximus 04-10-2021 10:56

Re: 2021 Box Office Stats

I thought it would be worth a look to see how things are going before James Bond drops into the box office. I am gutted that Shang Chi hasn't done better and is lagging behind Godzilla. It begs the question as to whether any film will hit $1bn this year. There are only a few big releases left; James Bond, Dune, Ghostbuster, Spiderman and Matrix 4.

Damien 04-10-2021 12:36

Well Bond has had a good start: https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...niel-craig-007

Breaking past $100 million without the US or China box office yet.

General Maximus 04-10-2021 12:41

It thoroughly deserves it.

General Maximus 25-10-2021 10:13

Thought we could take another look before Dune jumps up the ranks. No Time To Die has comfortably taken the No. 5 spot and will probably creep up to No. 4 now that it is released in China and the US. I am gutted that Shang Chi hasn't done better.

General Maximus 13-12-2021 17:37

I thought now would be a good time for a quick catch up before Spiderman and The Matrix break onto the scene. No Time To Die has comfortably taken the No. 3 spot and Eternals and Dune have joined the top 10 knocking out Black Widow and Free Guy.

It is going to be interesting to see how Spiderman does given that it is what I call a pure MCU film, isn't a new instalment in the franchise and the continuation of the story. It is going to be the most popular by far of the NCU releases this year and it would be amazing if it can crack the $1bn barrier given that no other film has done it this year. It would be a fantastic achievement for Marvel.

General Maximus 20-12-2021 18:48

Spiderman has catapulted itself straight into the No. 6 spot and I imagine it will easily gross $1bn by years end and take the No. 1 spot.

Paul 20-12-2021 19:16

No Ghostbusters then.
Shame as I thought it was quite entertaining.
I'm off to see Spiderman in about an hour from now.

General Maximus 20-12-2021 19:30

It was No. 22 last week and Spiderman jumping in the ranks has pushed it down to No. 23. It has grossed $174m globally which I think is a damn shame. It deserved to do better.

General Maximus 25-12-2021 09:34

Lets get a drumroll going for the imminent jump to the No. 1 spot and crossing the $1bn threshold.

General Maximus 28-12-2021 10:48

Well it has done it. It has hit $1bn globally and hasn't even been out two weeks or released in China yet. It is the only film this year and post-pandemic to hit $1bn and it is expected to go up to $1.75bn during it's full theatrical run and worldwide release.

General Maximus 31-01-2022 11:48

Spiderman is going from strength to strength and currently sits at $1.7bn gross worldwide. What is absolutely killing me is that Eternals has done better than Dune. It is like we are living in a mirror universe where everything is backwards.

Damien 31-01-2022 14:37

Dune got a release on HBO Max in the US though, probably contributed to that box office.

General Maximus 31-01-2022 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36111772)
Dune got a release on HBO Max in the US though, probably contributed to that box office.

Good point. Out of curiosity rather than looking at total cash I wouldn't mind seeing the stats for total ticket sales plus home rentals so you know how many people actually watched it. It would give films like Black Widow a boost as well. They must tabulate that sort of stuff so they know what the physical demand is and then they presumably use that information to decide how they are going to release a film and which avenue is going to be the most profitable for them.

Damien 31-01-2022 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36111778)
Good point. Out of curiosity rather than looking at total cash I wouldn't mind seeing the stats for total ticket sales plus home rentals so you know how many people actually watched it. It would give films like Black Widow a boost as well. They must tabulate that sort of stuff so they know what the physical demand is and then they presumably use that information to decide how they are going to release a film and which avenue is going to be the most profitable for them.

Doubt they'll ever give that information as it's sensitive. They don't want competitors to know if a certain genre/actor/theme is a hit right away.