Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   350M : Latency / Packet Loss to Cloudflare (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709639)

fizzyade 31-12-2020 02:17

Re: Latency / Packet Loss to Cloudflare

Whatever it is, it's either co-incidence that it seems to stop at around 00:30 (people going to sleep) or something else.

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2020/12/14.png

spiderplant 31-12-2020 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36064366)
Whatever it is, it's either co-incidence that it seems to stop at around 00:30 (people going to sleep) or something else.

It may well be traffic-related. Do you know roughly what time it starts happening? It seems to be OK at the moment.

fizzyade 31-12-2020 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064374)
It may well be traffic-related. Do you know roughly what time it starts happening? It seems to be OK at the moment.

I was running the test all night, the ICMP dropping seemed to start occurring at about 4 in the morning, and got drastically worse as time went on:

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2020/12/15.png

However, today (as you have said) it doesn't seem to be preventing packets getting to the final destination, the hop itself seems to be dropping ICMP packets with a TTL which would cause a time exceeded reply from that hop.

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2020/12/16.png

Synthetic 31-12-2020 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064357)
I've reported this. Ticket ref F008701533

Thank you :)

fizzyade - I was thinking the same, it'd probably be less stressful to just deal with the packet loss than try and explain it to the VM call centre!

spiderplant 31-12-2020 15:01

This should be fixed now. VM have two links to Cloudflare, but one of them was down, so all traffic was being routed down the other, which became overloaded at peak times. The second link is now restored. Please can you check & confirm?

fizzyade 31-12-2020 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064418)
This should be fixed now. VM have two links to Cloudflare, but one of them was down, so all traffic was being routed down the other, which became overloaded at peak times. The second link is now restored. Please can you check & confirm?

Still seeing high packet loss on that hop, but as per the post this morning the cloudflare hop is working fine, so I assume Hop 7 is just dropping ICMP packets.

spiderplant 31-12-2020 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36064428)
Still seeing high packet loss on that hop, but as per the post this morning the cloudflare hop is working fine, so I assume Hop 7 is just dropping ICMP packets.

Yes, I see that too, but can't really report it as a fault

fizzyade 31-12-2020 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064430)
Yes, I see that too, but can't really report it as a fault

Out of interest, is there a reason that it does it on Hop 2? I assume it's some sort of rate limiting or DDOS mitigation kicking in.

If you ping the second hop say every 5 seconds, it will happily reply. But start pinging at 1s (or faster intervals) and after a few replies it then stops.

If you run 2 separate pings say at 2s intervals, you'll see that one of the pings losing replies, then all of a sudden it'll switch to the other one losing replies, one of them though will usually reply, you can see it flip flop.

spiderplant 31-12-2020 23:08

Sorry, I don't know why that happens

Synthetic 01-01-2021 10:36

All seemed good last night, thanks again spiderplant for raising, wondering if virgin were already aware, seems like the sort of thing they should be monitoring..

spiderplant 01-01-2021 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synthetic (Post 36064493)
All seemed good last night, thanks again spiderplant for raising, wondering if virgin were already aware, seems like the sort of thing they should be monitoring..

Excellent.

I think they were aware that one link was down but didn't realise it was customer-affecting.

Synthetic 01-01-2021 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064496)
Excellent.

I think they were aware that one link was down but didn't realise it was customer-affecting.

Ah I see, so if this happens again we might need to (kindly) ask you to give them a prod again? :D

fizzyade 02-01-2021 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36064496)

That's slightly concerning! Link down, "no bother lads, we've got another one".

The fact that it took us, end-users, using monitoring tools to identify and confirm that there was an issue is not great, as I said earlier if you weren't around then I dread to think how long this could have rolled on for.

This is especially true when the frontline support will invariably run some diagnostics, possibly put our routers back into routed mode before declaring that an engineer needs to be sent out.

As I've said multiple times, business users desperately need an online support forum where there are actually people who are technically switched on so that when issues occur we can get them fixed. I t just seems very strange that residential users have a support forum (with techs who actually know that many issues don't involve resetting the hub or sending out an engineer).

Anybody who's lost the will to live speaking to technical support will probably feel the same.

Synthetic 02-01-2021 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36064624)

The fact that it took us, end-users, using monitoring tools to identify and confirm that there was an issue is not great, as I said earlier if you weren't around then I dread to think how long this could have rolled on for.

This is especially true when the frontline support will invariably run some diagnostics, possibly put our routers back into routed mode before declaring that an engineer needs to be sent out.

As I've said multiple times, business users desperately need an online support forum where there are actually people who are technically switched on so that when issues occur we can get them fixed. I t just seems very strange that residential users have a support forum (with techs who actually know that many issues don't involve resetting the hub or sending out an engineer).

Anybody who's lost the will to live speaking to technical support will probably feel the same.

My thoughts exactly, how long would this have gone on for if we didn't have spiderplant to help us!

spiderplant 02-01-2021 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzyade (Post 36064624)

It's because of the Christmas change freeze. Faults that aren't believed to be customer-affecting don't get fixed until after freeze ends. As soon as I pointed out this one actually was customer-affecting, it was fixed straight away.