Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Nightmare of a night (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709401)

Hom3r 30-09-2020 10:53

Nightmare of a night

My mum finally came home from the care home on Monday, she had a light lunch , but later in the day she couldn't keep stuff down, we put this down to the fact she was home and in all what was going on she would settle.

I slept on the sofa as she was paralysed and needed moving, I was up at 1:30am, 3:30am and 5:30 to mover her.

On Tuesday she didn't look good so I called 111 in late afternoon, while waiting for the next level to call me back my mum was just sitting there not responding to me, even when I pinched her ear. so calling 999 they help me keep calm while throwing the covers on the floor to lay her flat, then the paramedics turned up and she started to respond, but she was dehydrated and they took her in, but because of Coronavirus we weren't allowed to go.

My sister called several times and she seemed to be answering their questions.

I went to bed at 10pm as I had only 5 hours sleep the night before, I got a call at 11:30pm and gave the Dr some back history on her.

Then at 1:54 am I got call to say she had stopped responding to treatment and we should get there, my dad couldn't face it so I went with my sister, and stayed with her.

She died at 3:15 am.

papa smurf 30-09-2020 11:02

Re: Nightmare of a night

Sorry for your loss sounds like you did everything you could possibly do,take care of yourself.

Damien 30-09-2020 11:06

So sorry Homer :(

Hugh 30-09-2020 11:27

Sorry for your loss - as Papa says, please taken care of yourself.

joglynne 30-09-2020 11:55

Oh Hom3r I am so sorry. You were a wonderful Son and did everything in your power to make her comfortable. Take care of yourself sweetie. xxx

Mr K 30-09-2020 11:57

Sorry for your loss.

Try and make some time for yourself in the next few days e.g. get out for walks and some 'me' time. Helped me through a similar time.

Chris 30-09-2020 12:04

I'm really sorry to hear this.

You're going to feel pretty rotten for a while, especially dealing with the funeral under present restrictions. But it will pass. In time the pain will fade and happier memories will come to the fore. Even as you remember your mum at the very end, choose to remember that you were able to care for her at the very end. Every time you woke in the night was one more chance for you to spend time with your mum and do something for her. It will be hard to see it in those terms for a while yet. Don't force it. But peace will come.

I'm one of those that prays, so I will.

mrmistoffelees 30-09-2020 12:20

So sorry for your loss, as others have said, please look after yourself and your family at this terrible time.

Maggy 30-09-2020 12:25

Sorry for your loss. take care of your father, he will need all your support.

Ken W 30-09-2020 12:36

Very sorry for your loss

1andrew1 30-09-2020 12:53

Very sorry to hear this news.

Look after yourself and don't feel guilty about taking time out from all the inevitable tasks that arise in such situations for yourself.

jfman 30-09-2020 12:55

Oh no. I'm so sorry, Homer.

Sephiroth 30-09-2020 13:08

Sincerely echo all the condolences you've received, Hom3r.

pip08456 30-09-2020 13:11

Sorry for your loss Homer. She'll always be with you though.

heero_yuy 30-09-2020 13:21

Sorry to hear of your loss Hom3r. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Be strong.

Inactive Digital 30-09-2020 13:30

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss Homer. Take care.

Grimpy 30-09-2020 13:31

Sorry to hear this, RIP.

GrimUpNorth 30-09-2020 13:43

Sorry to hear the sad news, it's been a pretty crap six months for you. As others have said it does get easier but remember it's OK to not be OK and there are people out there (and here) who are there to help if you need it. All have to do is ask.

Julian 30-09-2020 14:25

So sorry to hear this Homer.

Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Mad Max 30-09-2020 15:19

Oh man, what a shame, really sorry for your loss, Homer, may she rest in peace.

Paul 30-09-2020 15:35

Sad news. RIP :(

Hom3r 30-09-2020 16:46

Thank you for your words.

I've just been told that Cause of Death was "sepsis & aspiration pneumonia".

She didn't appear to be suffering, and she just stopped breathing

Taf 30-09-2020 18:58

So sad to hear this.

Jimmy-J 30-09-2020 19:32

Sorry for your loss Hom3r. Take care of yourself.

OLD BOY 30-09-2020 19:55

So sad to hear your news, Hom3r. We are all thinking of you, as you can see. ^^^

RichardCoulter 30-09-2020 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36052160)
Thank you for your words.

I've just been told that Cause of Death was "sepsis & aspiration pneumonia".

She didn't appear to be suffering, and she just stopped breathing

I've had pneumonia, but i'm not sure what aspiration pneumonia is though. I can't help but wonder if Covid has anything to do with this (they're now talking about people who have 'long form covid'), if not it certainty won't have helped her lungs.

It's good that she didn't appear to be suffering and I too will say a prayer for your mum to ask that she passes on to the next stage without fear or confusion. God bless you & your family Hom3r.

alanbjames 01-10-2020 03:44

So sorry for your loss mate :-(

Dude111 01-10-2020 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r

Then at 1:54 am I got call to say she had stopped responding to treatment and we should get there, my dad couldn't face it so I went with my sister, and stayed with her.

She died at 3:15 am.

I am so sorry for your loss :(

Kursk 01-10-2020 10:06

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Remember your mum in her good times. The pride she has in her family and the unselfishness of being a good mother. We learn from our parents all our lives, even as they leave us.

God bless you and your family. Stay strong and healthy in honour of your mum and for all those around you.

Hom3r 01-10-2020 20:27

My dad if finding to much to handle, so my sister and I will do as much as we can and involving our dad as needed.

We will possible sort out a plot on our own and if possible near roses as that is her middle name. Also the possibility a Rosewood coffin, depending on cost as she would what to spend silly money.

I have good moment and bad, I start to talk about thinks and start to quiver.

pip08456 01-10-2020 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36052275)
My dad if finding to much to handle, so my sister and I will do as much as we can and involving our dad as needed.

We will possible sort out a plot on our own and if possible near roses as that is her middle name. Also the possibility a Rosewood coffin, depending on cost as she would what to spend silly money.

I have good moment and bad, I start to talk about thinks and start to quiver.

I'm not surprised your father is having a hard time , he has lost a partner of many years just as you and your sister have lost a mother. It is a difficult time for all of you more so when it comes to making the funeral arrangements as that suggests a moment of finality.

The next week or so is going to be especially difficult as all these details have to be sorted out. Inside you are going to be hurting like hell but outside you have to appear to be strong to support you father, sister and the rest of the family.

Once everything is resolved make sure you take the time to mourn in whatever way is best for you. We are all different in how we that but we all need to.

Hom3r 01-10-2020 22:11

Thanks for the messages guys, my mum and dad where married for 54 years, this year was only the second anniversary they did go for a meal, but I was able to take him and sit outside with her.

Hom3r 15-10-2020 14:10

On Tuesday the 13th of October we laid my mum to rest, my sister and I chose a lovely spot which is a double plot so when my dad's time comes he will join her.

But because of coronavirus restrictions, only 30 people are allowed, but do to some family having to shield, self isolate or just getting back from furlough only 16 people attended.

My dad, myself, sister, brother in-law, nephew & niece left form my hose to the cemetery in the limo, after we had a drink.

The woman doing the funeral (not a minister) read what my dad, myself, sister, aunt & uncle had written, but my niece got through her tears and read her message with her brother holding her hand.

There was one light bit and that was playing the Elvis song, Are you lonesome tonight - the laughing version, which people did enjoy.

After this all 16 of us stood at at the graveside, and in typical funeral weather it as raining and the ground getting muddy, but that didn't matter as we through 6 red roses on her coffin.

The guys driving out limo were excellent and help my dad walk from the car to the grave side and stand as he through his rose in, he even gave his umbrella to my dad to keep dry as he got wet.

Afterward we chatted briefly to family and then the 6 of us came back home and had a cuppa, later we had a huge Chinese meal and more drinks, and chatted about our mum.

So my sister's family had to get 2 cabs home because cabs cannot have people in the front.

I get some moment were I feel teary.

We have said to family that coronavirus permitting we will have a family get together close to her birthday next August.

jfman 15-10-2020 15:22

Wishing you well Hom3r.

denphone 15-10-2020 15:30

l can only echo those same thoughts as my thoughts are with you Hom3r.

Mick 15-10-2020 15:37

Sorry for your loss, Hom3r and I share others compassionate wishes.

Maggy 15-10-2020 16:29

Sending you a virtual :ghugs: Take care of your father he will really need your support.

joglynne 15-10-2020 18:12

Another virtual hug from me Hom3r. If you need us you know you have friends on CF who are here to have a quiet chat if you need us.

Jo xx

heero_yuy 15-10-2020 18:28

Glad everybody who could attend were able to. Our thoughts are with you.

Hom3r 18-01-2021 17:21

A follow up to this.

If things can't get any worse.

The other day my dad had problems with the TiVo remote as he couldn't remember what to press and as he was stress he couldn't get his words out, but he calmed down and was OK.

On Wednesday my sister was talking to him and his speech started to stutter (He had a stutter when he met my mum, but she managed to get him to control it) so my sister said to call 999, which I did, they turned up and did the stroke tests but this didn't seem to be the case, they managed to speak to our GP and arranged for a District Nurse to come and take bloods.

She arrived at 10:30 and did the bloods, just before 6pm I had just taken some baguettes out of the oven when the Dr called and said one of the tests was positive for a clot, and we should go to A&E straight away.

So sitting in A&E waiting (While there a guy was bought in who clearly had Covid-19, but was whisked away).

A doctor saw us, and he believes my dad had a transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or "mini stroke", which based on the stress in the last year I'm not surprised, he said that an appointment will be made for us to go to Romford's Queens hospital for a scan and gave us some Aspirin to help, we didn't get home until midnight.

So now we play the waiting game.

joglynne 18-01-2021 17:35

Oh sweetie I am so sorry to hear your news. You and your family have not had an easy time. Sending you all virtual hugs. xx

jonbxx 18-01-2021 18:35

Sorry for your loss. We wish you the best in these tough times

TheDaddy 18-01-2021 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36067089)
A follow up to this.

The other day my dad had problems with the TiVo remote as he couldn't remember what to press and as he was stress he couldn't get his words out, but he calmed down and was OK.

On Wednesday my sister was talking to him and his speech started to stutter (He had a stutter when he met my mum, but she managed to get him to control it) so my sister said to call 999, which I did, they turned up and did the stroke tests but this didn't seem to be the case, they managed to speak to our GP and arranged for a District Nurse to come and take bloods.

She arrived at 10:30 and did the bloods, just before 6pm I had just taken some baguettes out of the oven when the Dr called and said one of the tests was positive for a clot, and we should go to A&E straight away.

So sitting in A&E waiting (While there a guy was bought in who clearly had Covid-19, but was whisked away).

A doctor saw us, and he believes my dad had a transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or "mini stroke", which based on the stress in the last year I'm not surprised, he said that an appointment will be made for us to go to Romford's Queens hospital for a scan and gave us some Aspirin to help, we didn't get home until midnight.

Bad luck with Queens... :(

Hope it all goes well though :tu:

Halcyon 19-01-2021 08:24

Really sorry for your loss Hom3r. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Take care.

denphone 19-01-2021 08:27

l can only echo the same sentiments to Hom3r as all the other posters here.

Mr K 19-01-2021 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36067089)
A follow up to this.

Hope everything is ok. Fwiw my Mother has had a few TIAs, effects were temporary in her case and she seems to recover from them. Hard to really tell as she has dementia anyway.

Chris 19-01-2021 09:34

So sorry to hear this latest news Hom3r. My mum had a TIA a few years ago. As it comes under the general heading of “stroke” the hospital should take it very seriously with tests and a treatment plan. Doubtless they’re busy with Covid related stuff but keep in mind that they should be staying on top of this to reduce the risk of it happening again, so keep asking the questions. Also, as TIAs are not normally a one off, you will have to make sure someone is checking in on your dad once he’s home just to make sure all is ok.

Maggy 19-01-2021 09:51

:ghugs:

Hom3r 19-01-2021 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36067135)
So sorry to hear this latest news Hom3r. My mum had a TIA a few years ago. As it comes under the general heading of “stroke” the hospital should take it very seriously with tests and a treatment plan. Doubtless they’re busy with Covid related stuff but keep in mind that they should be staying on top of this to reduce the risk of it happening again, so keep asking the questions. Also, as TIAs are not normally a one off, you will have to make sure someone is checking in on your dad once he’s home just to make sure all is ok.

I live at home and do all the cooking etc.

As you say Covid is a nightmare as our support is not allowed near us (AKA sister and co), which I cannot wait to get back.

Hom3r 28-04-2021 11:10

We did 3 visits to Queens and he has a partial blockage in an artery, but because of his weight and age, surgery isn't a good idea.

But he seems back to his normal self and we do look after each other, but we do sometimes wind each other up.

As lockdown is easing we have been able to sit in my sisters garden and have lunch.

looking forward to being able to sit in her living room for the first time in nearly 15 months.

But cannot weight for the need hugs in June.

Hom3r 29-07-2021 17:48

Well the nightmare is easing, on Tuesday my sister came over, and we sorted out all her clothes.

On Wednesday, My sister cam with me when we took 10 sacks to a local charity shop.

We are planning to get together on August 15th at my sisters, on what would have been her 75th birthday, her sister and brother In-law are coming over if the weather is suitable for us to sit outside, I understand as they don't want to risk anything.

Hom3r 30-09-2021 14:28

Wow, the year has flown by, I've got back from the cemetery with my dad and sister.

Later today they will come over for a chinese takaway.

Halcyon 01-10-2021 10:32

It is good to see you have family around you again and can remember the good times. :tu:

Dude111 10-10-2021 21:42

Im glad things are better!!!!!!!!

:)

Hom3r 29-07-2022 13:28

I’m back.

On the 5th July my dad was taken to hospital with sepsis markers, but actually tested positive Covid-19, I tested and was too positive.

He came home the following day, and was confined to upstairs as we don't have a loo downstairs, but it was hard there as it hit 31c.

On the 13th, he called me in to his bedroom at 7am as he had stabbing pains in his stomach, at 4:30 I was called by the hospital to say that he had a Perforated Ulcer and Peritonitis, and would require surgery, and he had a 40% change of survival, My sister was in Bury St Edmonds for an overnight stay, she did a 1˝ drive in 1 hour, and was able to see him before he went to surgery.

I slept on my sister's sofa. The following day we went to see him in ICU, but as he had Covid we had to don full PPE protection and wear a air filter, a consultant said that they were supporting his heart and other organs, and he had a 20% chance of survival, and if his heart stopped they wouldn’t do CPR as it wouldn’t be in his best interests both my sister and I agreed, so I spent another few nights at my sister.

They started to remove sedation several days later, but had to reverse it and put him on dialysis, but a few days later it was removed, on Saturday 23rd he was moved to HDU (It’s the same, but the person doesn’t need sedation or support), his brother saw him on the 24th, and that evening I was at my sisters having a BBQ when HDU flashed on my phone and a surgical team spoke saying that there was a blood from the surgery site, but they didn’t know if it was external or internal, if internal it would require urgent surgery and he would be unlikely to survive.

The following day we were told that it was just external.
On the 27th as we were sitting there was a bed available, but he required a single room so stayed.

Yesterday (28th) he was moved to a single room, he’s slowly getting there.
He is talking but, struggles with what day it is, and he wants to come home (but this is unlikely before August end), he’s even planned an escape, by saying he wants to go to the loo, but walk home.

Paul 29-07-2022 13:36

Sorry to hear about your dad, but hopefully hes getting better.

joglynne 29-07-2022 15:09

Oh Hom3r I am so sorry to hear what you have all been going through. I realy hope he continues to improve and that he is able to come home to you.

<<<Hugs >>>
Jo xx

Taf 29-07-2022 15:25

Best of luck for your father.

TheDaddy 29-07-2022 15:35

All the best :tu:

Tinky 29-07-2022 19:04

Hom3r Hope your Dad continues to get better and can get home soon. :hugs:

Mr K 29-07-2022 21:05

Best of luck. Even though your Dad is desperate to get home make sure you can cope. Hospitals have a tendancy to discharge before patients and their families are ready,

(BTW My Father-in-law made a successful escape attempt from hospital a few years ago. He made it a couple of miles in his PJs and nearly got to our house before the police picked him up this was just after he'd had a knee replacement! His Parkinsons was bad but he was still physically fit and had a good homing instinct ! )

Hom3r 02-08-2022 12:43

I live at home and when we get an idea of a planned release date (I can't see this before end of August) I will look at becoming a full time carer and what benefits he does claim for that he's entitled too.

Trouble is some he can't claim if he doesn't claim for others.

Luckily my cars paid for and I only have minor out goings ATM.

pip08456 02-08-2022 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36130115)
I live at home and when we get an idea of a planned release date (I can't see this before end of August) I will look at becoming a full time carer and what benefits he does claim for that he's entitled too.

Trouble is some he can't claim if he doesn't claim for others.

Luckily my cars paid for and I only have minor out goings ATM.

It might be an idea to contact Citizens Advice now to find out what he is entitled to and get everything ready for his claim.

Hope all goes well for his recovery.

Hom3r 24-08-2022 20:28

Well, after many nights waiting for the call, my dad told me that tomorrow he is being transferred to a rehabilitation hospital some 45 mins drive away rather than the 10-minute walk we currently have.

so the process of getting him walking, after being bed bound since July 5th has started.

pip08456 24-08-2022 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36132260)
Well, after many nights waiting for the call, my dad told me that tomorrow he is being transferred to a rehabilitation hospital some 45 mins drive away rather than the 10-minute walk we currently have.

so the process of getting him walking, after being bed bound since July 5th has started.

Which do you prefer, your dad waking again or a 10 minute walk?

nashville 25-08-2022 15:47

Not been on here for a while . So sorry to hear this. Thinking of you all