Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : Star Trek: Discovery (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701680)

SnoopZ 27-11-2021 09:31

Re: Star Trek: Discovery

Disappointed there are no subtitles for it on Pluto, looks like I will be watching it via the CinemaHD everything is free app in future.

cheekyangus 27-11-2021 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36102837)
Disappointed there are no subtitles for it on Pluto, looks like I will be watching it via the CinemaHD everything is free app in future.

I did see the words Close Captioned on a menu option when I was looking at Pluto apps yesterday afternoon. I only noticed it on one of my devices though. There are different implementations of Pluto TV App on VM and Roku. Roku had the Closed Captioning. I wasn't on the look out for subtitles during Discovery, and was watching on VM, not Roku, last night.

Stephen 27-11-2021 14:55

Do they at least have it in HD?

SnoopZ 27-11-2021 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36103174)

The quality looked HD, I didn't watch much, this was on Firestick.

cheekyangus 27-11-2021 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36102799)
Well Pluto TV didn't crash under the strain, the picture was better than SD, but wasn't Full HD, I'm guessing 720p, the colours were a little off.

It was ages until the first ad break, but they seemed regular after that.

There were 2 episodes tonight. I'll look later to see if they are available On-Demand.

The S4 storylines were interesting enough. An ongoing one was intriguing enough. Not perfect, but I'll continue to happily watch.

The most annoying thing was that they showed the end credits after an ad break both times, though they did go right into the next episode without another ad break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36103174)

My verdict on picture quality earlier.

Chris 27-11-2021 20:14

We had a power cut about 8.30 last night and it still hasn’t come back on. So I didn’t get to see Discovery in the end, and I won’t get to see it tonight either. All being well we will have power back before the final repeat broadcast at 9pm tomorrow.

Paul 27-11-2021 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36103233)
We had a power cut about 8.30 last night and it still hasn’t come back on. So I didn’t get to see Discovery in the end, and I won’t get to see it tonight either. All being well we will have power back before the final repeat broadcast at 9pm tomorrow.

You could always 'borrow' a copy from someone ;)

General Maximus 27-11-2021 22:52

Yeah, just make sure you return it afterwards.

Stephen 28-11-2021 15:20

I don't get a TV streaming service in 2021 that operates on the broadcast TV style system. It makes no sense what so ever.

Paul 13-12-2021 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36102316)
.... and the less said about stupid junior officer Tilly being in command the better.

I guess you're happy after last weeks episode then. ;)

General Maximus 13-12-2021 09:39

Absolutely. Tbh I didn't want to say anything because it all sounds too good to be true. I am keeping my fingers, toes and everything I can crossed that she doesn't come back.

cheekyangus 13-12-2021 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36105433)
Absolutely. Tbh I didn't want to say anything because it all sounds too good to be true. I am keeping my fingers, toes and everything I can crossed that she doesn't come back.

I suspect she'll be back as an occasional guest star. It felt like a budget cut decision, much like many storyline decisions on TV shows. Lots of storyline decisions are budget influenced, directly or indirectly. Most of the rest of the crew aren't on screen this season (so far). Reduced cast storylines, or just main cast, are regularly alternatives to bottle episodes on shows these days.

Stephen 13-12-2021 09:55

I am sure Mary Wiseman was pregnant during filming. They were doing everything they could to hide it.

General Maximus 13-12-2021 10:39

I don't care what the reason is as long as she is gone :dunce: It was absolutely absurd that a junior officer who had no command or leadership experience and who had not been to Starfleet Academy was given the responsibility of looking after the ship and crew. What is even more of a joke is that senior officers who had that knowledge and experience relinquished command to her. Regardless of how essential their role was at the time (e.g. engineering), one of them should have said "I am a Commander and as a senior officer I'll take command and Lt Cmdr Fred Bloggs will take over as Chief Engineer temporarily". We all know how it works.

Rillington 27-12-2021 14:41

Has Discovery ever been shown on linear television as I've never seen it mentioned in any TV listings.