Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fridge Freezer Settings (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711439)

alanbjames 28-10-2022 23:53

Fridge Freezer Settings

What setting should a fridge freezer be on?

I have mine on 4.

What temperature should fridge and freezer be and can someone recommend a thermometer to check please?

Jaymoss 29-10-2022 00:00

Re: Fridge Freezer Settings

4 degrees fridge -18 freezer

Chris 29-10-2022 00:15

^ this, although you can get away with having your fridge at 5, or even 6 if you don’t keep stuff in it for any length of time.

If your fridge has an internal dial numbered 1-5 this is a power setting, not a temperature setting. Counter-intuitively with this sort of control, the highest numbered setting (5) will result in the lowest fridge temperature. The setting you require depends on various factors including what you put in the fridge and the termperature of your kitchen. If your fridge has one of these controls rather than a thermostat marked with temperature, then it might be worth getting hold of a fridge thermometer and calibrating it that way.

Or, just go old school and keep the power setting as low as you can get away with. If your food doesn’t spoil before you want to use it then the setting is probably ok (or could afford to go a bit lower).

pip08456 29-10-2022 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36138748)
^ this, although you can get away with having your fridge at 5, or even 6 if you don’t keep stuff in it for any length of time.

If your fridge has an internal dial numbered 1-5 this is a power setting, not a temperature setting. Counter-intuitively with this sort of control, the highest numbered setting (5) will result in the lowest fridge temperature. The setting you require depends on various factors including what you put in the fridge and the termperature of your kitchen. If your fridge has one of these controls rather than a thermostat marked with temperature, then it might be worth getting hold of a fridge thermometer and calibrating it that way.

Or, just go old school and keep the power setting as low as you can get away with. If your food doesn’t spoil before you want to use it then the setting is probably ok (or could afford to go a bit lower).

Its also worth pointing out that the fridge setting has no bearing on the freezer.

spiderplant 29-10-2022 10:23

Any general purpose thermometer will be fine. You might even have one in your phone.

I keep the fridge at 5'C, because at 4'C it starts getting frost damage to things like lettuces and potatoes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36138750)
Its also worth pointing out that the fridge setting has no bearing on the freezer.

Depends on the model. With some, if the room is very cold and the fridge set too warm, it can fail to switch on at all and the freezer will defrost.

nomadking 29-10-2022 11:31

I keep an eye on mine with a wireless fridge/freezer thermometer. On the base station I can see the current and min/max temps(past 24 hrs). Aimed at professional kitchens but is reassuring, especially in hot summer weather.
Fridge setting is at 4.5, with a room temp of 20-23degrees C. Fridge temp is -1 to +3.5, freezer -27 to -20.

alanbjames 29-10-2022 16:58

There's no separate setting for freezer.

Paul 29-10-2022 18:06

Mine has the 1 - 5 dial, we keep it on 3.

Itshim 29-10-2022 21:42

My AEG freezer defaults to -18 the fridge I have no idea.

Hom3r 30-10-2022 10:50

I bought a fridge and freezer thermometer, and it sends the temp to a unit on the outside of the fridge. so I see a digital readout of the current temperature.

alanbjames 30-10-2022 16:06

Just had these delivered and put them in the fridge and freezer so will leave a few hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Taf 30-10-2022 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 36138871)
Just had these delivered and put them in the fridge and freezer so will leave a few hours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think they might not like being subzero in a freezer. IPX3 is not that waterproof, and button cells voltage and currents drop at low temperatures.

Put it in a sealed plastic bag and only open the bag after the device has returned to room temperature, or condensation will form, finding any tiny leak that exists.

nomadking 30-10-2022 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36138872)
I think they might not like being subzero in a freezer. IPX3 is not that waterproof, and button cells voltage and currents drop at low temperatures.

Put it in a sealed plastic bag and only open the bag after the device has returned to room temperature, or condensation will form, finding any tiny leak that exists.

Alkaline batteries don't like freezer temps, but Lithium are ok, Had to buy lithium AA batteries for my freezer probe.

alanbjames 30-10-2022 19:25

Well the thermometers have been in there a few hours, The freezer is -16.7*c and fridge is 9.4*c and food does stay fresh.

Jaymoss 30-10-2022 19:31

That is not optimal temp for the freezer and the fridge is deffo to warm too. I am guessing the thermometers are wrong. Try swapping them see if the results are the same.