Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Connecting a cooker (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707456)

ThunderPants73 04-03-2019 09:46

Connecting a cooker

Hi, I'm thinking of getting a duel fuel cooker. Currently I have a full gas cooker, but I have an electric power switch behind it which lights up when switched on, so it's already wired to the mains. Would I need an electrician to connect a cooker to it, or is this something that I can legally do myself?

Thanks.

Chris 04-03-2019 09:50

Re: Connecting a cooker

You can do it yourself provided you do it to the legal standard, same as any DIY electrical work in your own home.

However, as you’re dealing with a very high amp ring and it may not have been used for a while, it is safer to get it checked by a qualified electrician. The high current drawn by an electric oven will generate heat at all the terminals where wires are joined, and the poorer the joins, the greater the risk that the heat could melt surrounding plastic or cause a fire.

Taf 04-03-2019 11:17

What Chris said, many high current switches now come with double screw fixers that help reduce the heating risk.

But beware that even connecting or disconnecting a bayonet-fitting gas pipe is now required to be done by a Gas Safe engineer. Money for old rope, but it's now a requirement.

Also note that many electric cookers now come WITHOUT a mains lead as the actual connecting-up can be frought with legal problems through regulations.

heero_yuy 04-03-2019 11:29

Quote:

Quote from Taf:

Also note that many electric cookers now come WITHOUT a mains lead as the actual connecting-up can be frought with legal problems through regulations.
I recently did a cooker swap for a friend and re-used the old cable as no new one was supplied. Being an electronics engineer I am deemed as sufficiently qualified to do the job.

Stuart 04-03-2019 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35985167)
You can do it yourself provided you do it to the legal standard, same as any DIY electrical work in your own home.

However, as you’re dealing with a very high amp ring and it may not have been used for a while, it is safer to get it checked by a qualified electrician. The high current drawn by an electric oven will generate heat at all the terminals where wires are joined, and the poorer the joins, the greater the risk that the heat could melt surrounding plastic or cause a fire.

Personally, I find that good advice when dealing with anything electrical (and certainly gas) is to get a professional in if you aren't sure.

ThunderPants73 04-03-2019 15:56

Thanks boys, not going to risk it. I'll get a man in......

Ken W 04-03-2019 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35985258)
Thanks boys, not going to risk it. I'll get a man in......

Very wise.

raging bull 04-03-2019 19:36

Many electric hobs can be used off a 20amp supply, the oven being used on gas.
Rating plate would show electrical power required.

[1Kw consumption equals a 4amp load.]

ThunderPants73 07-03-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by raging bull (Post 35985302)
Many electric hobs can be used off a 20amp supply, the oven being used on gas.
Rating plate would show electrical power required.

[1Kw consumption equals a 4amp load.]

I want the opposite - gas hob, electric oven.

pip08456 07-03-2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35985637)
I want the opposite - gas hob, electric oven.

Present ovens run off a 13amp socket.

raging bull 08-03-2019 07:04

I would still check the electrical supply requirement plate on the cooker!
Just to add to the above:
I took delivery of a replacement cooker 12months ago, supplier wanted 75pounds to test/connect my new oven.
Took delivery only, I decided to replace the short cable connecting the oven to the joint box positioned directly behind.
6mm 3core PVC cable used which cost @6pounds from my local DIY store, 1hr later oven up to temp with a joint in the oven!

Maggy 08-03-2019 07:31

Get a qualified professional on the recommendation of a friend.