Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Jaymoss 21-02-2022 19:03

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

if GM scores it a 2 it's got to be worth a watch

Stephen 21-02-2022 19:25

Probably a solid 6/7 out of 10 then.

General Maximus 21-02-2022 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36114091)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36114004)
You do need to bear in mind I am easy to please with movies though

Jaymoss 21-02-2022 19:56

and?

I do not think anyone on this forum takes your reviews seriously

General Maximus 21-02-2022 20:28

You can dismiss my opinions and laugh at me all you want but it doesn't mean they aren't genuine, sincere or a true reflection of the film. I give praise where it is due and constructively criticise when necessary.

To give you some perspective, I heavily criticised The 355 and Moonfall; both terrible films. Like you Paul, said I was too critical about Moonfall.

The 355 cost $75m to make and made $26m at the cinema ($49m loss).
Moonfall cost £150m to make and has made $32m at the cinema ($118m loss)

I think that says something about the wider audience agreeing with me rather that a few people on this forum who think everything is fantastic. Have you ever thought that the reason why there aren't more negative comments is because people don't see the point or can't be bothered? I felt like that with the season finale to Boba Fett despite how critical or opinionated you may think I am. Some things are just so bad that they aren't even worth the time or effort and there have been a few occasions when the only reason why I have posted a review for a film was to warn people not to watch it.

Jaymoss 21-02-2022 20:34

Oh I am 100% sure they are your genuine opinion and I do not laugh at you for expressing them. It is just your flawed reasoning on realism

People are more likely to complain than compliment

Stephen 21-02-2022 21:06

I watched Moonfall and rather enjoyed it. Just what I want in a disaster movie. Entertaining and a good fun movie. Don't expect realism or the best acting performances.

Paul 21-02-2022 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36114091)

It was, I watched it last night, good entertainment.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36114096)
Probably a solid 6/7 out of 10 then.

Yes, I'd give it 6/10.

General Maximus 21-02-2022 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36114119)
Don't expect realism or the best acting performances.

It's when things just get too silly for me and are just beyond belief and it ruins the film. Just three things off the top of my head in Moonfall:

1) They try launching the rocket and it fails for whatever the reason was and Halle Berry gives her moving speech, tells everyone to evacuate and you see literally everyone leaving. 5 minutes later when they decide they can launch and are going to go it alone all of a sudden there is a crew on the shuttle pad to help them get in and secure the hatches etc.

2) The rocket takes off. We know from many many times in real life that the rocket has to take off at a very specific angle to optimise fuel consumption and even heavy winds delay launches by days. In Moonfall you literally had a) a tidal wave impacting it and not making it fall over and b) it being submerged under water (which they acknowledge) and still managing to achieve thrust and take off

3) At the end when a tree falls on one of the characters and he is trapped and the moon gets close enough to the Earth that gravity is low enough that someone can lift the tree off him. If gravity is that low why doesn't the person lifting the tree float away?

They are just three things which stood out like a sore thumb. I could write a flipping book on Moonfall but they are the kind of things which kills me. I can watch films like the Fast & Furious films and accept them as good fun action films (apart from the last one which also had a stupid space scene in it) but I find stuff like Moonfall painful to watch. It isn't even funny. In contrast, The Day After Tomorrow is a fantastic example of a quality disaster film which tries to put realism and science into the story/script which makes for a more immersive experience. The Core is another good one as well.

Paul 21-02-2022 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36114108)
Some things are just so bad that they aren't even worth the time or effort and there have been a few occasions when the only reason why I have posted a review for a film was to warn people not to watch it.

What you mean is some things are bad in your opinion.
Not everyone has your rather narrow "realism" view of everything. :erm:
Posting your dislike is fine, everyone has their own views - but "warn people not to watch it" ? Thats a bit too much - I can make up my own mind. ;)

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36114156)
It's when things just get too silly for me and are just beyond belief and it ruins the film. Just three things off the top of my head in Moonfall:

1) They try launching the rocket and it fails for whatever the reason was and Halle Berry gives her moving speech, tells everyone to evacuate and you see literally everyone leaving. 5 minutes later when they decide they can launch and are going to go it alone all of a sudden there is a crew on the shuttle pad to help them get in and secure the hatches etc.

2) The rocket takes off. We know from many many times in real life that the rocket has to take off at a very specific angle to optimise fuel consumption and even heavy winds delay launches by days. In Moonfall you literally had a) a tidal wave impacting it and not making it fall over and b) it being submerged under water (which they acknowledge) and still managing to achieve thrust and take off

3) At the end when a tree falls on one of the characters and he is trapped and the moon gets close enough to the Earth that gravity is low enough that someone can lift the tree off him. If gravity is that low why doesn't the person lifting the tree float away?.

and there is your problem ... :angel:
You seem to think everyone watching a film gives a flying frack about "fuel consumption", "wind delays", "specific angles".
Its called entertainment, you should try it sometime instead of trying to pull apart everything you watch. :)

Stephen 21-02-2022 23:44

Quote:

Snip

I accept the film for what it is, entertainment and a science fiction disaster film. I don't expect realism or perfection. I watch it for escapism and things blowing up and going wrong. If you are expecting things to behave as they do in the real world, then of course you will be disappointed. I mean the moon is a flipping spaceship thing for a start!

Day after Tomorrow was also by the same director. He also wrote them along with writing and directing 2012, 10,000BC, Independence Day, Snargate. So I know really what to expect.

He has also been labeled as the Master of Disaster. Which I'd agree with.

Also in regards to you mentioning the finale of Book of Boba Fett it was utterly fantastic.

General Maximus 21-02-2022 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36114157)
instead of trying to pull apart everything you watch. :)

That's the thing, i dont. But things have to have a certsin ring of truth or realism around them to enjoy them as a serious action/disaster movie or they risk being OTT and laughable as in this case and becoming more action comedy. There were people in the row in front of me in the cinema laughing at it pretty much the whole way through the film every time something stupid happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36114160)
Day after Tomorrow was also by the same director.

I know, that's why I mentioned it. I also loved the other films you listed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36114160)
the finale of Book of Boba Fett it was utterly fantastic.

I ain't sayin nuffin. This is one of the rare occasions where my lips are sealed. It was so bad I can't even be bothered to moan about it.

Stephen 21-02-2022 23:50

On the subject of Uncharted movie goers seem to be enjoying it as over on Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a critics rating of just 40% approval, but it’s a certified hit among audiences: 90% of viewers recommend it. It’s a largely similar story on Google, where it currently commands a score of 4.2/5 – and on IMDB, it’s achieved a less stellar but still respectable 6.7/10 user score at the time I checked it.

Paul 22-02-2022 00:04

Quote:

In contrast, The Day After Tomorrow is a fantastic example of a quality disaster film which tries to put realism and science into the story/script which makes for a more immersive experience.

Hmmm, really ?
Quote:

It received mixed reviews upon release, with critics highly praising the film's special effects but criticizing its writing and numerous scientific inaccuracies.
Quote:

The Core is another good one as well.

Realism ? Seriously ?
Quote:

The film focuses on a team whose mission is to drill to the center of the Earth and set off a series of nuclear explosions in order to restart the rotation of the Earth's core.
Its not even remotely realistic.

For the record, I enjoyed both, they are very entertaining, but neither is accurate or realistic.

cimt 22-02-2022 01:47

He needs a YouTube channel where he says how shit every film is because it isn't realistic enough. Reality TV must be a must watch.

I don't actually mind a younger Drake anyways, I've played the games and you do get to see him as a teenager. No problem seeing him younger than 30.

General Maximus 22-02-2022 17:19

Death on the Nile: 7/10

A good murder mystery with beautiful vistas and plenty of locations and scenic shots to compliment the setting of the film. Time is taken to establish the characters and certain story arcs at the beginning of the film in order to indulge in the thicker plot later on. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next instalment in the franchise. As always, seeing Gal Gadot was the icing on the cake.

Chris 22-02-2022 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36114238)
Death on the Nile: 7/10

A good murder mystery with beautiful vistas and plenty of locations and scenic shots to compliment the setting of the film. Time is taken to establish the characters and certain story arcs at the beginning of the film in order to indulge in the thicker plot later on. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next instalment in the franchise. As always, seeing Gal Gadot was the icing on the cake.

Are they intending to make more Poirot?

I'm a big fan of the 1978 adaptation starring Peter Ustinov. I'm curious to see how they got on with this one but it will be difficult for me to watch it impartially. :D

General Maximus 22-02-2022 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36114241)
Are they intending to make more Poirot?

I dont know but as with Reacher the character and style of story telling make the possibilities endless. I have never read the books so am not au fait with the stories but who is to say the next one cant be in China. I loved what they did with this one in Egypt.

Chris 22-02-2022 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36114245)
I dont know but as with Reacher the character and style of story telling make the possibilities endless. I have never read the books so am not au fait with the stories but who is to say the next one cant be in China. I loved what they did with this one in Egypt.

There’s an absolute ton of material for adaptation available - every one of the 70 TV episodes starring David Suchet is based on either a full novel or a short story featuring Poirot and written by Agatha Christie. As far as I know, nobody has ever made a completely original screen production based on the character, though if they have the rights, they could do so. They might upset the purists however, and films of this type do rely on a fan base for a certain guaranteed level of success.

General Maximus 23-02-2022 08:59

Just had a quick look. It has only been out 1 week and has already grossed $76m for a production budget of $90. Hopefully it bodes well for a third instalment.

SnoopZ 23-02-2022 10:08

And Uncharted grossed over $100m over its long weekend at the Global Box Office, looking forward to watching this.

General Maximus 04-03-2022 03:51

The Batman (2022): 7/10

A pleasant surprise, I was expecting this to be a another mediocre turnout of the DC movie machine but it had me gripped throughout. Even though it is the same familiar characters which we have seen time and again this is less like the superhero and comic books iterations which we have seen before and a more grounded grittier version. The visual effect were top notch, the fight scenes very well choreographed and the soundtrack was simple but very powerful and effective. Some people moan about 3 hour films but you didn't feel it in this because it was so good. The film was as long as it needed to be to tell the story it wanted to, it was well paced and never felt like it was dragged out.

I don't know how this sits in the DCEU but I would happily see more. Another pleasant surprise, I defo prefer Robert Pattinson as Batman than Batfleck.

It goes without saying that it is one of those films that needs to be seen on the big screen for the sheer scope of the film and more noticeably on this occasion the sound.

Stephen 04-03-2022 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36115522)
The Batman (2022): 7/10

A pleasant surprise, I was expecting this to be a another mediocre turnout of the DC movie machine but it had me gripped throughout. Even though it is the same familiar characters which we have seen time and again this is less like the superhero and comic books iterations which we have seen before and a more grounded grittier version. The visual effect were top notch, the fight scenes very well choreographed and the soundtrack was simple but very powerful and effective. Some people moan about 3 hour films but you didn't feel it in this because it was so good. The film was as long as it needed to be to tell the story it wanted to, it was well paced and never felt like it was dragged out.

I don't know how this sits in the DCEU but I would happily see more. Another pleasant surprise, I defo prefer Robert Pattinson as Batman than Batfleck.

It goes without saying that it is one of those films that needs to be seen on the big screen for the sheer scope of the film and more noticeably on this occasion the sound.

Have you read many of the Batman or Detecive comics? Batman is more dark and gritty than anything else.

tweetiepooh 04-03-2022 10:31

I had a big, single volume set of Batman stories as a child but got lost lent to a neighbour. Darkish but nothing like today's stories and much brighter when Robin was introduced. Fun ones with Batman/Batwoman married with children and retired. Robin and Batgirl are new Batman/Batwoman and the kids the new Robin/Batgirl.
I think the new stories just from news and the films are too dark. Prefer the silly 60's TV/films.

General Maximus 04-03-2022 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36115533)
Have you read many of the Batman or Detecive comics?

The only comics I have ever read are the Asterix comics. What I meant is

Spoiler: 
unlike the previous versions we have seen where he has a lot of technology, gadgets, batmobile, bat bike, bat plane etc he doesn't have any of this in this film. It doesn't spend any time at Wayne Enterprises or focus on technological development. This is more of a grounded psychological story about Bruce Wayne and less of what I would class as traditional Batman. Yes Alfred is in it but as a bare minimum. There isn't the usual billionaire socialite misdeeds and Alfred playing the father figure and mentoring.

I think you will be surprised at how different this film is compared to all the other version we have seen. It is analogous to how Daniel Craig's James Bonds compared to the other instalments in the franchise. As an example, I loved the action in the Dark Knight trilogy and it was a step up from what we have seen in the past but when you watch this it feels like it is real and he is actually punching the shit out of everyone. It may be to do with Robert Pattinson's acting or the sound editing or both but you definitely feel it and there were a couple of times I screwed my face and went "oof" because you could feel the pain :p:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36115534)
Prefer the silly 60's TV/films.

Shark repellent bat spray

ThunderPants73 07-03-2022 10:14

Gosford Park 7/10

SnoopZ 13-03-2022 00:31

The Adam Project. 7/10

It was ok it hit my enjoyment factor ok but it could have been better.

Chris 13-03-2022 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36116473)
The Adam Project. 7/10

Considering it’s a made for TV movie I think it’s actually very good. Netflix is spoiling us. There was a time when TV movies were almost universally pants. But at the moment there are some real big hitters happy to work with Netflix on smaller projects like this and they bring their big hitter mates with them. Ryan Reynolds, Jennifer Garner, Zoe Saldana and Mark Ruffalo is a stellar line up in anyone’s book, and they didn’t disappoint.

peanut 13-03-2022 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36116473)
The Adam Project. 7/10

I'd give it 7/10 too. Weren't too bad. Felt like it was aimed for 12 year olds mainly and was trying a bit too hard. But it was okay, and agreed that it could have been better.

Cobbydaler 16-03-2022 04:41

The French Dispatch. Really enjoyed it.

General Maximus 19-03-2022 08:52

Deep Water: 5/10

Quite disappointing. I was really looking forward to this as I thought it was going to be another Gone Girl plus I love Ana de Armas. It is all style and no substance because there is no explanation or justification for why Ana de Armas' character behaves the way she does, no back story to the characters or family and everything happens for the sake of the story which makes it completely unrealistic.

Halcyon 21-03-2022 12:03

A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures

A lovely family movie about a turtle that travels the world and witnesses the changing seas, global warming, etc, whilst building friendships along the way.
Great for kids.

ThunderPants73 21-03-2022 13:29

SnoopZ 26-03-2022 23:43

Spider-man: No way Home

9/10 loved it.

General Maximus 27-03-2022 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36117582)
Spider-man: No way Home

9/10 loved it.

did you watch both end credit scenes?

SnoopZ 27-03-2022 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117585)
did you watch both end credit scenes?

I think I saw 1 end credit scene when I was fast forwarding the end titles so will have to Google to see what I missed.

Edit - ok I skipped the 2nd scene as i was in the CinemaHD app.

General Maximus 31-03-2022 15:56

Morbius: 4/10

Yet another case this year of the trailer making the film look a million times better than it actually is and it is a shame because I was really looking forward to this. It is all style and no substance and literally went from him acquiring his powers to dealing with the bad guy. It could have done with an another 30 mins added to the running time to develop the origin story and see him explore his abilities.

There is a scene in it which looks like it is ripped out of Batman Begins and even the music was pretty much the same. I had to look up the composer to see if Hans Zimmer did this film (which he didn't).

Unless I was half asleep there is one thing which really really confused me. The film starts off with an opening scene in what is present day with him on an island doing something and then says "25 years ago........" and flips back. We never get back to him on the island and see the outcome of what he was doing so I don't understand the point of it. It was literally pointless and served no purpose.

I would say this is a Sunday afternoon film but it isn't even that. It is the film you watch when you have ran out of Sunday afternoon films and have nothing else left.

Stephen 31-03-2022 16:18

So by most viewers standards its probably fairly decent;)

General Maximus 31-03-2022 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36117867)

not this time :p:

I don't normally pay any attention to reviews as I like to have and only care about my own opinion on in films and tv series but in this instance I am not alone:

Paul 31-03-2022 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36117867)

TBH, I didnt think the trailers made it look that good, it sounds like it isnt going to be (not seen it yet).

Stephen 31-03-2022 19:23

TBH I don't really fancy it.

Pierre 01-04-2022 21:05

Just watched Sonic 2, it was good, the kids loved it. At 2 hours it was just a bit too long. The was a “wedding” sequence that could have been cut.

Idriss Elba as Knuckles is very good.

Post credits scene, definitely a third movie and knowledgeable Sonic fans won’t be disappointed

Stuart 03-04-2022 00:00

Watched Sonic 2 today. Enjoyed it more than i thought. It's a bit cheesy, but a good laugh (especially for the kids) and a couple of good easter eggs.

Also saw Morbius last night. Good points: Matt Smith as Milo (Morbius's surrogate brother and the bad guy), excellent effects (particularly the sequence where the go on the "Chicago" metro ("Chicago" is in quotes, as the station is clearly one of the Jubilee line patforms at Charing Cross, but it looks incredible when Morbius flies out in front of a train, and flies out into the Chicago metro).

Bad points: The climatic fight scene that manages to be simultaneously confusing, and less impressive than most of the fights featured in Buffy The Vampire Slayer (which were impressive TBF, but Btvs was a TV series, and I expect more from a high budget movie, especially with the massive advances in Computer GFX since Btvs).
Also, pretty much everything else, although the woman who is Dr Morbius's assistant has potential to be interesting in any sequels (she isn't really interesting in this, beyond looking stunning), and the post credits scenes hint at an interesting future.

General Maximus 03-04-2022 00:13

So taking all that into consideration and bearing in mind this thread is "rate the last movie you saw", what score would you give it out of 10? I am curious as you have already commented that 90% of the movie was cack.

Tinky 03-04-2022 14:31

Two mules for sister Sara -1970 western

I've seen this before and enjoyed it 8/10

Paul 04-04-2022 00:28

Morbius: 5/10
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36117862)
Morbius: 4/10

Yet another case this year of the trailer making the film look a million times better than it actually is ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36117882)
TBH, I didnt think the trailers made it look that good, it sounds like it isnt going to be (not seen it yet).

In the end, I found it slightly better than expected from the trailers, but not brilliant, so five.

Dude111 18-04-2022 00:06

I last saw SAW II (2005) on VHS :)

I think it shoukd have ended with 2.... It was a good sequal but no more were actually needed........

General Maximus 18-04-2022 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36118071)
but not brilliant, so five.

:clap:

General Maximus 26-04-2022 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36114119)
I watched Moonfall and rather enjoyed it. Just what I want in a disaster movie. Entertaining and a good fun movie. Don't expect realism or the best acting performances.

I have got my moment of fame as well :D

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2022/04/12.jpg

Stephen 27-04-2022 02:06

Seen it. I watch every honest trailer. They are pretty funny most of the time e.

Jimmy-J 27-04-2022 03:43

Ambulance 3/10

General Maximus 06-05-2022 13:28

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: 7/10

A very interesting story with a few very pleasant surprises which gave me big smiles. Visually spectacular and the story is setting a few things up. If I had to niggle I would say there wasn't any humour in it unlike most other MCU films. It did try in several places but it just didn't work; it wasn't funny.

Definitely worth watching at the cinema. There are two post credit scenes as always, one half way through and one right at the end. A new trailer for Avatar 2 is shown prior to the film starting so keep your eyes peeled so you don't miss it. It looks amazing.

If you would like to discuss this film in more detail I have started a separate thread here so you don't have to worry about putting everything in spoiler tags.

Stephen 06-05-2022 13:32

I totally enjoyed it and laughed a few times.

Sam Raimi definitely put his effort in. It's 100% a Raimi film. Many horror elements and humour worked in. Brilliant.

General Maximus 10-05-2022 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36114271)
And Uncharted grossed over $100m over its long weekend at the Global Box Office, looking forward to watching this.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 12:31

Firestarter: 4/10

It is okay and borderline watchable. Although it is produced by Blumhouse I would say it is more scifi horror (leaning more towards scifi ) than pure horror and the problem is that it doesn't do either very well. It is horror without the horror and it is scifi without a good quality story. Everything is very superficial, the whole premise of the story is that the little girl can start fires and cause immense devastation but when she does do it the camera is always focused on her facial expression rather that showing us a visual effects extravaganza and what it actually happening. I could go on but I won't.

My parting comment and food for thought from my realism factor: if she can miraculously teach herself some discipline and control her powers in the space of a few hours/days in the woods then wtf didn't she do it before?

General Maximus 13-05-2022 19:05

The Northman: 2/10

The less said about it the better. Just watch Vikings instead, it is a million times better.

Stephen 13-05-2022 19:20

You must be a minority there, I really enjoyed it and also 7.7/10 on IMDB and 89% rotten tomatoes.

So most others did too.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 19:49

I honestly wanted to turn it off after 10 minutes and I kept going in 10 minute chunks hoping it would get better. The problem is that you can't help but compare to it Vikings and it fails in every respect. It lacks the scale, the story and everything else that Vikings does. The guy is supposed to be a king and the bulk of the film is spent on a farm. All the fight scenes felt overly choreographed and sluggish. Again, if that is all we ever had we wouldn't know better but I have seen it done better 1000 times in Vikings. People can argue that I shouldn't be comparing the two but it is only natural when you choose to make a film about Vikings and there has been a tv series around for the last 10 years. If I was making a film I would be aware of the comparison and be telling everyone we need to do it as good as Vikings and better.

Stephen 13-05-2022 20:03

Is Vilings accurate though or is it glammed up for TV? I've never seen it.

The Northman feels more visceral and looks gritty like you'd expect the era to be. They would likely be big brawls with big hits but because they were bigger its likely to seem slower. From the reviews I glanced over most were impressed by the look and feel of the film and how it draws you in.

General Maximus 13-05-2022 20:23

I believe it is historically accurate with regards to characters, locations and events. The problem a lot of people have is the time line. They condense hundreds of years of history into years and a couple of decades. That is why they ended Vikings and brought in Vikings Valhalla. It allowed them to do a significant time jump and move onto something new.

Dude111 14-05-2022 04:07

I last saw SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) on VHS :)

10/10

Disneys best movie!!

Chris 14-05-2022 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36122318)
I last saw SONG OF THE SOUTH (1946) on VHS :)

10/10

Disneys best movie!!

:erm:

General Maximus 14-05-2022 09:34

I have never heard of it so I have just looked it up and I had this as well growing up (in the 90s) but it wasn't called Song of the South, it was called Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. They must have changed the name at some point.

Stephen 14-05-2022 09:58

Always been called song of the South. Its a film Disney wish to forget. Its almost been erased from existence.

Chris 14-05-2022 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36122328)
I have never heard of it so I have just looked it up and I had this as well growing up (in the 90s) but it wasn't called Song of the South, it was called Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah. They must have changed the name at some point.

It’s the one that never gets shown on TV any more, and isn’t available on Disney+, because it depicts slavery in the southern US as basically fine, because the slaves were mostly happy, and employs dialogue that turns its black characters into parodies.

It was also never released on VHS in the USA so I’m curious how truthful our resident retro American got his copy from.

Damien 14-05-2022 14:34

It would be interesting to see it from a historic perspective.

General Maximus 14-05-2022 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36122332)
It was also never released on VHS in the USA so I’m curious how truthful our resident retro American got his copy from.

Who said i lived in the US?

cimt 14-05-2022 14:53

He's on about Dude. I'm sure he's just trolling us all at this point.

General Maximus 14-05-2022 15:04

Ah ok

Jaymoss 26-05-2022 00:52

Memory with Liam Neeson, Guy Pearce and Monica Bellucci. Decent enough movie worth a watch 7:10

ThunderPants73 30-05-2022 16:01

The Lost City

2/10 for the ten minutes I managed to bear it. Always loved Sandra Bullock but this was horrendous, and the woman is starting to look like an ad for cosmetic surgery. Painful.

Pierre 02-06-2022 22:18

Top Gun, brilliant. Watched in 4DX! Not the best medium

tweetiepooh 06-06-2022 10:30

Paddington 2 - lovely, nice gentle Pentecost Sunday afternoon viewing.

Qtx 25-07-2022 01:06

Thor Love & Thunder......imagine if they decided to make this woke by making Thor emasculated and a bumbling idiot and replaced him with a stronger female Thor then made the movie about the replacement instead. Then make the mighty Zeus wear a dress and prance about and Thor ride a space ship that has LBQTXYZ+ rainbow coloured chem trails behind it.

Sounds like a joke right? Its not. Not impressed

Damien 25-07-2022 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 36129395)
Thor Love & Thunder......imagine if they decided to make this woke by making Thor emasculated and a bumbling idiot and replaced him with a stronger female Thor then made the movie about the replacement instead. Then make the mighty Zeus wear a dress and prance about and Thor ride a space ship that has LBQTXYZ+ rainbow coloured chem trails behind it.

Sounds like a joke right? Its not. Not impressed

I think the rainbow is just a rainbow. It's meant to contrast the colour against the villain's lack of it, hence why they go into shadow in the next few scenes.

Zeus is often depicted in a robe, which isn't far from a dress, in Greek Mythology.

Hugh 25-07-2022 13:32

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36129432)
I think the rainbow is just a rainbow. It's meant to contrast the colour against the villain's lack of it, hence why they go into shadow in the next few scenes.

Zeus is often depicted in a robe, which isn't far from a dress, in Greek Mythology.

Depiction of Zeus from a 5th Century BC amphora.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1658754108

Qtx 25-07-2022 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36129432)

I see what your saying but with everything else woke in, I'm not convinced its that innocent.

A tennis/cheerleading skirt is a lot different from a robe and they way they made him prance down the stairs holding his skirt...seriously, you wouldn't convince a blind person that was not a skirt :D They even got him tossing his weapon like a cheerleader tossing their baton. They turned Zeus in to a woman too.

Hugh 25-07-2022 18:49

2 Attachment(s)
Hoplite warriors in Ancient Greece wore short skirts…

http://www.thewarriorsofgreece.com/facts.html

https://www.realmofhistory.com/2016/...reek-hoplites/

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1658771511

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...2&d=1658771869

Qtx 25-07-2022 21:13

Point taken on the skirts. To be honest I have only ever seen Zeus the god depicted as wearing a robe before. But when you see everything he does is rather camp, its easy to put it all together and thats before ignoring his bad Mario brothers like accent...

Links to some gifs/short clips which I don't think contain spoilers but don't watch if you are worried about potential of any story being given away.

Spoiler: 
The rainbow sparkles coming out the ship were not coming out of the darkness..it was when they were visiting Zeus i saw it the first time . I didn't crop it well and the source is not the best so didn't quite capture how rainbow like it is. You need to see it properly to really understand what im saying.
https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2022/07/2.gif

Prance: https://i.imgur.com/UpanCoN.mp4

Cheerleader baton: https://i.imgur.com/1oLNYgm.mp4

Allowable under copyright for parody and critical analysis ;)

Qtx 25-07-2022 23:34

Forgot to mention another woke thing is they made a whole species gay and a main character.
Its like EVERY Marvel movie has an LBQTXYZ+ character, male characters are always weak, while their female replacement or co-star now made main star is ultra strong and the saviour of everything.

I can't wait for phase 6 as I assume phase 5 movies being made now are all going to be just as woke and hopefully by phase the ridiculousness would have stopped.

Damien 26-07-2022 08:19

I really think you're overthinking it believing pretty mundane decisions to be the result of wokeism.

I don't think the male characters are weak, they're just a bit bumbling. Spiderman, Ironman, and Capitan America all are presented as strong characters both literally but also in terms of character. Marvel's style for a decade now though is to make them quippy and have moments of stupidity to try and make it lighter in tone and the characters relatable. It's a bit lazy of them but it isn't because of wokeism. Besides the bumbling male character has been a trope for decades.

Thor is more extreme but only because these are the more lighthearted of the Marvel films. Hemsworth intentionally brought in Taika Waititi to make this kind of film because he didn't want to play the serious Thor from the first film.

Marvel is trying to diversify their cast and outreach. Look at Ms Marvel, a show with a Pakistani-American hero that has the partition of India as a plot point, but that's a pretty healthy thing for them to do and also an economically sensible thing for them to do. Is that really woke? If it's justified by the plot and not shoehorned in for no reason? I don't think Marvel films do that.

Jaymoss 26-07-2022 09:37

There was a day not long ago when being Woke used to mean being awake to what is really going on in the world (funnily enough adopted by conspiracy theorists) now it means something totally different. Shame really

Qtx 26-07-2022 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36129502)
I don't think the male characters are weak, they're just a bit bumbling. Spiderman, Ironman, and Capitan America all are presented as strong characters both literally but also in terms of character.

Most of those respective movies were made before they went OTT on gender and inclusivity politics.

The new Doctor Strange was not about Doctor strange, he was minimalised to make it about a hispanic woman with two mums. Characters that have always been male were made female, such as on the council and the men made weak and the women strong. Thor did something similar. Woman Thor who is made to look stronger and more prominent than the actual Thor.

Its not just Marvel its everywhere. As I said before, even stranger things shoe-horned in a lesbian thing halfway through the first episode and then did nothing with that until the last episode where they shoe-horned in a few minutes of the lesbian thing just minutes before it ended. Its so forced in.

Lightyear was another movie where the script was done but then they wanted to add all the woke stuff and added it in to the script after it was finished. Something we see time and time again. A lot of these movies are not doing as well as expected and there are people boycotting them because of it too.

Amazons Lord of the Rings based Rings of Power is going full woke too and having to hire actors/influencers to do fake interviews to shout about how good it is and how diverse it is etc, while pissing off genuine fans by the stuff they are doing for inclusivity and gender politics. Thats a whole other story and thread but so much wrong with that.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36129507)
There was a day not long ago when being Woke used to mean being awake to what is really going on in the world (funnily enough adopted by conspiracy theorists) now it means something totally different. Shame really

Words meaning do change sometimes. Crypto used to mean cryptography but now is more used in relation to cryptocurrency.

Woke rhymes better with broke, otherwise the Go woke, Go broke phrase would be a less memorable complicated affair ;)

Ms Marvel is them trying to get a different audience. It makes sense financially if they feel they can get a demographic interested in Marvel films who were not before. Its ok if it mostly appeals to one demographic. The majority of normal Marvel film audience are not however LBGT+ and including something like this in EVERY movie hurts them more than it helps their virtue signalling.

Movie rating sites have gone downhill in recent years and blaming review bombing they fiddle with the results to make it better for the studios who complained to them. They call it weighting but it goes well beyond that. Then we have Rotten tomatoes which I used to like but they changed their ratings too so it was hard to say a movie was bad even if a lot of critics said so. Its run by someone who spent most of their career working at Disney so it was no surprise to me that Ms Marvel rated extra high there despite all the bad reviews if you actually sat and went through them. Its a site I no longer trust for reviews.

Because of the state of wokeness among movies and tv now, it has given rise to sites such as https://rightwingtomatoes.com/ which gives wokeness ratings as well as breaking it down in to diversity, misandry etc. These sites wouldn't exist without the current stupidness we are having.

Paul 15-08-2022 00:02

Bullet Train - 7/10.

Wasnt sure what about this, the trailers made it look vaguely interesting.
I gave it a shot, and it was really quite good (a little gory at times, hence the 15 rating). :)

Damien 15-08-2022 08:22

I've been on that bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto! Less eventful when I did it.

Dude111 16-08-2022 03:57

I last saw the movie FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (1981)

10/10!!

Mr K 21-08-2022 22:53

Psycho (1960), 9/10 , on Sky Arts tonight.
Norman seems fairly sane by today's standards... Definitely a care in the community case.

SnoopZ 28-08-2022 23:12

Top Gun:Maverick I give it 10/10 as it kept me glued and followed on really well from Top Gun.

Damien 30-08-2022 11:00

Nope.

7/10 - Very good film. Some good horror but really not a film you should know much about before seeing it.

Paul 24-10-2022 23:50

Black Adam 5.5/10.

DC never seem to get super hero films quite right.
This one certainly had plenty of action, tons of it in fact, but not so much actual story.

The other "heroes" (JSA) were all ones I never heard of, and forgettable.
In short, it was OK, but not something I feel an urge to rush out and watch again.

ThunderPants73 25-10-2022 10:23

Pulp Fiction for the umpteenth time 9/10
Loses a point because the Butch & girlfriend story-line was an annoying downer to an otherwise immaculate movie.

Paul 19-12-2022 21:28

This film is long ... at 3 hours and 10 minutes its the longest film I have ever watched.

Could it have been shorter ? - probably, there are a few bits that I think were longer than necessary, but most of it was relevant to the film.

Despite the length, I did enjoy it, the effects & action were good, and the underwater scenes looked great.

SnoopZ 20-12-2022 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36142255)

This film is long ... at 3 hours and 10 minutes its the longest film I have ever watched.

Could it have been shorter ? - probably, there are a few bits that I think were longer than necessary, but most of it was relevant to the film.

Despite the length, I did enjoy it, the effects & action were good, and the underwater scenes looked great.

Titanic is probably my longest movie which is a little longer than this.

Paul 01-01-2023 03:29

Strange World - 3/10.

The previews had looked average at best, but since I have limitless, I thought I would go and see this anyway.
My mistake, I really should have read the reviews first - apparenly its quite a flop, and it was soon obvious why.

Another case of Disney being more interested in ticking all the woke boxes instead of making a decent film.
The star [a weak] white male (with daddy issues) was of course married to a [strong, clever] coloured woman.
[who again inexplicably exists, as they all live in a land with no climate that would remotely result in coloured skin].

They have a teenage son, who is [of course] gay .... so add a dose of environmental disaster and you get the general idea (wind power saves the day, hurrah).
The actual plot (as such) was all over the place and almost incomprehensible, in the end I think they all lived inside a giant turtle floating in an earth like sea (!).

Not something I would waste time watching again.

Mr K 01-01-2023 11:36

Carry on Cleo 9/10

As well as the classic 'infamy, infamy they've all got it it in for me' line, there's the Roman slave traders 'Marcus and Spencius' :)

Jaymoss 04-01-2023 16:02

Matilda the Musical 10/10 brill movie
The Menu 8/10 good film. Strange concept
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery 8/10 really well put together

SnoopZ 21-01-2023 23:59

Nobody, I was glued to it so it gets a 10/10 from me.

Jaymoss 22-01-2023 00:24

Medieval 8/10 based an the Bohemian warrior Jan Žižka who never lost a battle

TheDaddy 25-01-2023 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36144131)
Medieval 8/10 based an the Bohemian warrior Jan Žižka who never lost a battle

He's the guy who insisted on having his skin turned into drums for his soldiers after his death, think I'll keep an eye out for this

Jaymoss 25-01-2023 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36144368)
He's the guy who insisted on having his skin turned into drums for his soldiers after his death, think I'll keep an eye out for this

yep hahaha