Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ntl bottom in USwitch poll. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=46940)

Neil 05-05-2006 11:26

ntl bottom in USwitch poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Reg
Three of the UK's leading broadband providers have been slammed for being pants, according to research carried out by price comparison website uSwitch.com.

Its survey of 16,000 grown-ups by pollsters YouGov found that BT, NTL and AOL - who between them account for half of all broadband subscribers in the UK - came bottom in seven out of nine categories between them.

And when it comes to overall customer satisfaction, NTL came bottom of the pile, closely followed by BT.

Click me for more info.

At least ntl are consistent at one thing....

Jules 05-05-2006 11:31

Re: ntl bottom in USwitch poll.

Well I understand why Bt are at the bottom :)

James Henry 05-05-2006 13:22

Neil beat me to it. I was going to offer my heartfelt congratulations to ntl on once again coming bottom in another customer satisfaction survey.

I'm sure they could pay a company to do a survey for them and still come bottom.

Still so long as the targets for call handling, etc, are being met everything must be ok, right?

Neil 05-05-2006 13:30

The fanboys/girls will no doubt be along soon with all the reasons that this poll is unfair/biased etc etc etc, but the fact is (as I pointed out in my post above) that just about the only thing that ntl seem able to do consistently is come bottom in Customer Satisfaction Surveys. :rolleyes:

It's no coincidence, ntl have had a reputation as the worst company for customer service for several years.

Nothing changes-the issues that people come on here & post about are no different to what they were 5 years ago:

1) BS from CS Reps.

2) "Engineers" not turning up.

3) Promised callbacks not happening.

4) Billing wrong.

5) Lack of "Manager" to escalate issue to.

6) Lack of empathy from CS/Tech Support.

7) Telephone ping pong.

It really is still poor, & ntl only have themselves to blame.

I just hope Sir Richard Branson knows what he has let himself in for.

orangebird 05-05-2006 15:01

I don't think these surveys are all that - for this or any other product/service for that matter. If you add up all the customers of all the companies named in this survery (that came out good or bad), 16000 won't even be 0.5% of the total customer base - how can anyone draw a conclusion from opinions of 0.5% of customers? :shrug:

Neil 05-05-2006 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
The fanboys/girls will no doubt be along soon with all the reasons that this poll is unfair/biased etc etc etc

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird
I don't think these surveys are all that - for this or any other product/service for that matter. If you add up all the customers of all the companies named in this survery (that came out good or bad), 16000 won't even be 0.5% of the total customer base - how can anyone draw a conclusion from opinions of 0.5% of customers? :shrug:

pwn3d!! :D :angel:

The thing is, I reckon if you surveyed every ntl customer, ntl would still come bottom.

They don't have a reputation for being the company with the worst Customer Sevice for nothing.

orangebird 05-05-2006 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
quote=Neil]The fanboys/girls will no doubt be along soon with all the reasons that this poll is unfair/biased etc etc etc

pwn3d!! :D :angel:

No, I'm not. I didn't say that the survey was right or wrong, or unfair, or biased. I just think that having an opinion about goods or services based on the findings of less than 0.5% of the total providers customer base isn't good enough.

Quote:

The thing is, I reckon if you surveyed every ntl customer, ntl would still come bottom.
You reckon. Oh well, take that as gospel then eh?

Quote:

They don't have a reputation for being the company with the worst Customer Sevice for nothing.
No, they don't. They can be ****. I totally agree with you there. But again, I can't believe that anyone would make decisions/selections based on a survey made up of the opinions on a piddling %age of customers.

I really couldn't care where ntl come in the survey. However, if this very tiny representation give you some extra energy to grind that old axe Neil, fill your boots sweetheart.

jtwn 05-05-2006 15:16

Generally, the people who actually bother filling out surveys are the ones who have had bad experiences and have a chip on their shoulder about it. Hence why the big three are there because there are more customers to be angry - its quite simple Neil!

Having had a a ronseal experience with ntl would I bother to fill out a survey if [whoever] sent me one? No.

Bob 05-05-2006 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Generally, the people who actually bother filling out surveys are the ones who have had bad experiences and have a chip on their shoulder about it.

How rare is if for people to take the time out to say well done to a company who provides a good service? Compare that the number of people who take time to have a go at a company for providing poor service. You can tell because whenever I have congratulated any company they always seem shocked.

We are told at university that any survey with 1000 respondants is excellent and at that level, whatever conclusions you make they are said to be pretty accurate. However, you are always reminded that this is still a very small proportion of your sample population and you shouldn't assume that that is what everyone thinks.

16,000 is a good response rate and therefore has some accuracy. But you can't assume thats how the other 3 million feel :)

Neil 05-05-2006 16:05

Can someone please explain to me why is it that ntl have such a poor reputation across the board?

While they're at it, can they explain why ntl consistently score so poorly in Customer Satisfaction surveys?

One thing's for sure-it's not coincidence.

Bill C 05-05-2006 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Henry
Neil beat me to it. I was going to offer my heartfelt congratulations to ntl on once again coming bottom in another customer satisfaction survey.

I'm sure they could pay a company to do a survey for them and still come bottom.

Still so long as the targets for call handling, etc, are being met everything must be ok, right?

Not looked at it yet but me wonders how low down ukonline are in the poll :)

James Henry 05-05-2006 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird
No, they don't. They can be ****. I totally agree with you there. But again, I can't believe that anyone would make decisions/selections based on a survey made up of the opinions on a piddling %age of customers.

I really couldn't care where ntl come in the survey. However, if this very tiny representation give you some extra energy to grind that old axe Neil, fill your boots sweetheart.

Only problem there is that you are presuming that 16k people to be unrepresentative. They might actually be perfectly representative. ntl's reputation is dire, and they've been on Watchdog which is hardly an indication of quality service.

That said I have a few issues with the poll as a whole, but another one where ntl come bottom does suggest there's a fair amount of fire behind the smoke ;)

ntl = the Lidl of internet, TV and phone. Cheap as you like and that's how they get the punters in, not quality :)

Bill C 05-05-2006 16:20

What always worries me about U-Switch when they do there surveys is this.

How many of the top and bottom company's on there poll pay commission to u-switch when a customer transfer service on there web site. When u-switch say there are impartial i have to admit i take that with a mountain of salt when they take commission from said company's.

James Henry 05-05-2006 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited
Not looked at it yet but me wonders how low down ukonline are in the poll :)

Probably slightly above last ;) End of day it was the usual tactic from ntl that got you to stay wasn't it sir? Get the discounts out as the promised upgrade to fix your area had slipped by a month.

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlimited
What always worries me about U-Switch when they do there surveys is this.

How many of the top and bottom company's on there poll pay commission to u-switch when a customer transfer service on there web site. When u-switch say there are impartial i have to admit i take that with a mountain of salt when they take commission from said company's.

Yep quite agree that's why I said I had issues but the consistency of ntl coming last means that either the entire polling industry is out to get them or they really are that bad.

I have visions of it being front page news when they are in a survey and don't come last, although that'll probably be in part thanks to Telewest diluting their dissatisfaction as Telewest have traditionally done pretty well in these.

Chrysalis 05-05-2006 16:28

No doubt people will continue to try and discredit all these polls that show consistent results.

If I am not mistaken tho the poll is about general customer satisfaction rather then customer service so people disgruntled could be about service quality problems such as crap broadband speeds rather then billing problems so it isnt at all surprising.

Quote:

NTL Telewest director of internet Chad Raube said: "Consumers have voted with their feet and we are the largest provider of broadband services in Britain."
More like retentions working very hard to keep those numbers up Mr Raube, sorry but it clearly shows the state of the company when they wont hold their hand up to problems and brush them aside.

---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
Generally, the people who actually bother filling out surveys are the ones who have had bad experiences and have a chip on their shoulder about it. Hence why the big three are there because there are more customers to be angry - its quite simple Neil!

Having had a a ronseal experience with ntl would I bother to fill out a survey if [whoever] sent me one? No.

you not getting one makes them impartial?

guess what I have big problems with ntl but I didnt get one either so thats blown your argument out the water :)