Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Contactless cards and the future of cash (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709860)

pip08456 05-03-2021 12:52

Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073133)
What has happened to the old you can only buy on a card if you spend more than a fiver brigade.

Quote:

Visa's Core Rules for European merchants state the following:

A Merchant must not establish a minimum or maximum Transaction amount as a condition for honoring a Visa Card or Visa Electron Card.

Mastercard Rules also prohibit merchants from setting this charge:

A Merchant must not require, or indicate that it requires, a minimum or maximum Transaction amount to accept a valid and properly presented Mastercard or Maestro Card.

It’s not just card networks that clearly state that merchants should not be asking customers to spend a certain amount for card payments. Card reader companies are similarly bound to the Card Scheme rules of any card network they are designed to accept. If your card reader provider discovers that a business has been breaking these rules, they can suspend its account.

In short, there may not be a law against setting a minimum spend on card, but by placing a minimum card payment limit on transactions, merchants run the risk of being fined or suspended by their service providers.
https://gocardless.com/guides/posts/...ayment-limits/

Carth 05-03-2021 13:30

Re: Contactless cards and the future of cash

Imagine the queues at the checkouts when the internet borks ;)

Hom3r 05-03-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073128)
My main card doesn't have contactless on it and I would have the same from other providers if they offered it.

It's silly some traders now won't take cash (our local Chinese takeaway). My son went down for some chips, but they wouldn't server him. He didn't have a card with him.

My takeaway only takes cash.

It's the only cash I've used since March last year.

I will normally use cash for anything under £5.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073133)
What has happened to the old you can only buy on a card if you spend more than a fiver brigade.

It was a rule on a café/bakers I used between the first and second lockdown, but they then preferred card for all items

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073132)
I'm not sure I understand this ... are you saying you would choose not to have any access to contactless payment, even though you are aware an increasing number of shops will not accept cash? If so, why?

My nephew had a bank card which didn't have contactless, but it did have chip & pin.

papa smurf 05-03-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36073165)
My takeaway only takes cash.

It's the only cash I've used since March last year.

I will normally use cash for anything under £5.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

It was a rule on a café/bakers I used between the first and second lockdown, but they then preferred card for all items

Still have a couple of diy outlets in Cleethorpes that charge 50p if you spend less than £5 on a card

Hom3r 05-03-2021 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073170)
Still have a couple of diy outlets in Cleethorpes that charge 50p if you spend less than £5 on a card

Surely that is illegal?

Chris 05-03-2021 13:53

It is illegal. Trading standards will sort it if you call them. They are legally allowed to just refuse card payments below a certain level but as pip noted above, that may still breach the terms of their contract with their payment processing service.

papa smurf 05-03-2021 13:57

I have to purchase some yacht varnish and paint thinners for the boat soon so i will test them on it.

Taf 05-03-2021 14:49

I drilled my card as the banks will only supply contactless. With the aerial wire cut it's impossible to use as contactless (I did test it a few times).

jfman 05-03-2021 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073148)
That’s illegal. They can set a minimum card purchase amount and refuse transactions below that amount but they aren’t allowed to charge for using a card. Call your council’s trading standards department and let them know - they should send someone round to have a word.

Reminds me of my favourite card transaction. Cash machine outside a shop had a fee, minimum spend was £5 so I bought a Magnum ice cream and asked for £20 cash back.

Hugh 05-03-2021 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36073186)
I drilled my card as the banks will only supply contactless. With the aerial wire cut it's impossible to use as contactless (I did test it a few times).

Can I ask why?

papa smurf 05-03-2021 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073193)
Can I ask why?

Are you sure you can handle the answer?

Hugh 05-03-2021 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073203)

How will I know, unless I see it?

It’s a risk I’m willing to take - "Danger" isn’t my middle name...

Paul 05-03-2021 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073203)

Thats enough of the your nonsense.

I'm also curious why anyone would purposely disable contactless.

heero_yuy 05-03-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36073211)

I'm also curious why anyone would purposely disable contactless.

Given that Faraday cage wallets are available so you can control when the card is accessible.

Taf 05-03-2021 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073193)
Can I ask why?

I have 2 friends who had to jump through hoops for months to get back payments that were taken without their knowledge. Both were asked to enter the PIN in shops before they had done any shopping.

Calls to the card companies revealed that several transactions had taken place in the local area earlier that day, using contactless payments.

I don't trust contactless at all.