Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Contactless cards and the future of cash (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709860)

1andrew1 03-03-2021 14:38

Contactless cards and the future of cash

One Brexit benefit today. The contactless card limit has been raised from EU limits to £100 by the Chancellor.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56263582

Chris 03-03-2021 14:47

Re: Britain outside the EU

Yeah, so don't lose your wallet, because an opportunist thief could rack up quite a bill. I wonder how good the banks' computer systems are at spotting sudden uncharacteristic spending and stopping the card?

Angua 04-03-2021 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072853)
One Brexit benefit today. The contactless card limit has been raised from EU limits to £100 by the Chancellor.

The Dutch raised theirs to €100 last year.

1andrew1 04-03-2021 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36072934)
The Dutch raised theirs to €100 last year.

My bad, I really thought I'd found a genuine Brexit benefit!

Sephiroth 04-03-2021 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072943)
My bad, I really thought I'd found a genuine Brexit benefit!

It was a Covid benefit anyway.

1andrew1 04-03-2021 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36072958)
It was a Covid benefit anyway.

Never let it be said that I don't try to find Brexit benefits! ;)

tweetiepooh 05-03-2021 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36072853)

My main card doesn't have contactless on it and I would have the same from other providers if they offered it.

It's silly some traders now won't take cash (our local Chinese takeaway). My son went down for some chips but they wouldn't server him. He didn't have card with him.

papa smurf 05-03-2021 10:54

What has happened to the old you can only buy on a card if you spend more than a fiver brigade.

Chris 05-03-2021 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073128)
My main card doesn't have contactless on it and I would have the same from other providers if they offered it.

It's silly some traders now won't take cash (our local Chinese takeaway). My son went down for some chips but they wouldn't server him. He didn't have card with him.

I'm not sure I understand this ... are you saying you would choose not to have any access to contactless payment, even though you are aware an increasing number of shops will not accept cash? If so, why?

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Contactless card/cash discussion moved into its own thread as it's nowt to do with Brexit.

TheDaddy 05-03-2021 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073132)
I'm not sure I understand this ... are you saying you would choose not to have any access to contactless payment, even though you are aware an increasing number of shops will not accept cash? If so, why?

I never used contactless until the pandemic and was more than happy to go elsewhere if the shop keeper objected to cash, now it's me that doesn't accept change!

Pierre 05-03-2021 11:11

Re: Contactless cards and the future of cash

Puts on Tin foil hat.......

It's all about control, the state and big finance wants to know exactly how much money you have and where, how you spend it and where.

They want to close banks and cash machines and go completely digital, dis-advantaging anyone that doesn't

Takes tin foil hat off.........

spiderplant 05-03-2021 11:36

re: Contactless cards and the future of cash

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073133)
What has happened to the old you can only buy on a card if you spend more than a fiver brigade.

They are still out there. Last week I bought a sandwich and drink from a garage near Blackburn. They wanted 90p extra to use a card. First time I've used cash in about a year. :)

papa smurf 05-03-2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36073141)
They are still out there. Last week I bought a sandwich and drink from a garage near Blackburn. They wanted 90p extra to use a card. First time I've used cash in about a year. :)

90P, I think i would have thrown the sandwich at the cashier;)

heero_yuy 05-03-2021 12:14

The only time I use cash these days is to get the daily paper.

What does annoy me is that now and then the contactless is declined and I have to put in the card and the PIN meaning I have to touch the keys that someone else has just touched.

I know it's added security but still annoying.

Chris 05-03-2021 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36073141)

That’s illegal. They can set a minimum card purchase amount and refuse transactions below that amount but they aren’t allowed to charge for using a card. Call your council’s trading standards department and let them know - they should send someone round to have a word.

pip08456 05-03-2021 12:52

Quote:

Quote:

Visa's Core Rules for European merchants state the following:

A Merchant must not establish a minimum or maximum Transaction amount as a condition for honoring a Visa Card or Visa Electron Card.

Mastercard Rules also prohibit merchants from setting this charge:

A Merchant must not require, or indicate that it requires, a minimum or maximum Transaction amount to accept a valid and properly presented Mastercard or Maestro Card.

It’s not just card networks that clearly state that merchants should not be asking customers to spend a certain amount for card payments. Card reader companies are similarly bound to the Card Scheme rules of any card network they are designed to accept. If your card reader provider discovers that a business has been breaking these rules, they can suspend its account.

In short, there may not be a law against setting a minimum spend on card, but by placing a minimum card payment limit on transactions, merchants run the risk of being fined or suspended by their service providers.
https://gocardless.com/guides/posts/...ayment-limits/

Carth 05-03-2021 13:30

Imagine the queues at the checkouts when the internet borks ;)

Hom3r 05-03-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073128)

It's silly some traders now won't take cash (our local Chinese takeaway). My son went down for some chips, but they wouldn't server him. He didn't have a card with him.

My takeaway only takes cash.

It's the only cash I've used since March last year.

I will normally use cash for anything under £5.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:

It was a rule on a café/bakers I used between the first and second lockdown, but they then preferred card for all items

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073132)

My nephew had a bank card which didn't have contactless, but it did have chip & pin.

papa smurf 05-03-2021 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36073165)
My takeaway only takes cash.

It's the only cash I've used since March last year.

I will normally use cash for anything under £5.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

It was a rule on a café/bakers I used between the first and second lockdown, but they then preferred card for all items

Still have a couple of diy outlets in Cleethorpes that charge 50p if you spend less than £5 on a card

Hom3r 05-03-2021 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073170)
Still have a couple of diy outlets in Cleethorpes that charge 50p if you spend less than £5 on a card

Surely that is illegal?

Chris 05-03-2021 13:53

It is illegal. Trading standards will sort it if you call them. They are legally allowed to just refuse card payments below a certain level but as pip noted above, that may still breach the terms of their contract with their payment processing service.

papa smurf 05-03-2021 13:57

I have to purchase some yacht varnish and paint thinners for the boat soon so i will test them on it.

Taf 05-03-2021 14:49

I drilled my card as the banks will only supply contactless. With the aerial wire cut it's impossible to use as contactless (I did test it a few times).

jfman 05-03-2021 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073148)
That’s illegal. They can set a minimum card purchase amount and refuse transactions below that amount but they aren’t allowed to charge for using a card. Call your council’s trading standards department and let them know - they should send someone round to have a word.

Reminds me of my favourite card transaction. Cash machine outside a shop had a fee, minimum spend was £5 so I bought a Magnum ice cream and asked for £20 cash back.

Hugh 05-03-2021 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36073186)
I drilled my card as the banks will only supply contactless. With the aerial wire cut it's impossible to use as contactless (I did test it a few times).

Can I ask why?

papa smurf 05-03-2021 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073193)
Can I ask why?

Are you sure you can handle the answer?

Hugh 05-03-2021 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073203)

How will I know, unless I see it?

It’s a risk I’m willing to take - "Danger" isn’t my middle name...

Paul 05-03-2021 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073203)

Thats enough of the your nonsense.

I'm also curious why anyone would purposely disable contactless.

heero_yuy 05-03-2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36073211)

Given that Faraday cage wallets are available so you can control when the card is accessible.

Taf 05-03-2021 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073193)
Can I ask why?

I have 2 friends who had to jump through hoops for months to get back payments that were taken without their knowledge. Both were asked to enter the PIN in shops before they had done any shopping.

Calls to the card companies revealed that several transactions had taken place in the local area earlier that day, using contactless payments.

I don't trust contactless at all.

peanut 05-03-2021 16:55

Crooks using card reading equipment can swipe money as you walk
They can also steal information that they can then use to steal your identity
It even possible when contactless cards were in bags and jacket pockets
The equipment needed is available for as little as £30 online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-street.html

It's old news, but with stories like this you can see why people are against the £100 limit or they are disabling the chip altogether.

Jaymoss 05-03-2021 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36073147)
The only time I use cash these days is to get the daily paper.

What does annoy me is that now and then the contactless is declined and I have to put in the card and the PIN meaning I have to touch the keys that someone else has just touched.

I know it's added security but still annoying.

I carry a small bottle of 70% antibacterial hand gel and use it regularly on the few occasions I touch anything outside

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36073138)
Puts on Tin foil hat.......

It's all about control, the state and big finance wants to know exactly how much money you have and where, how you spend it and where.

They want to close banks and cash machines and go completely digital, dis-advantaging anyone that doesn't

Takes tin foil hat off.........

They pretty much know how much you have and where it is anyway unless you fiddle the dole or work cash in hand. Most everything else is recorded somewhere anyway

papa smurf 05-03-2021 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36073219)
Given that Faraday cage wallets are available so you can control when the card is accessible.

I have one of those, had it for a few years now was only a few quid.

Jimmy-J 05-03-2021 17:28

I was waiting for the bus yesterday, and as soon as it appeared in the distance, I suddenly realised I'd forgotten my bus pass! Luckily, I had my contactless card and used that to pay the fare.

Mr K 05-03-2021 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 36073235)
I was waiting for the bus yesterday, and as soon as it appeared in the distance, I suddenly realised I'd forgotten my bus pass! Luckily, I had my contactless card and used that to pay the fare.

I love a story with a happy ending :)

Contactless is very convenient, not sure about £100. You should be able to opt out if you're not happy with that amount or set your own limit.

jfman 05-03-2021 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36073211)
Thats enough of the your nonsense.

I don't disagree but there is some scaremongering around readers taking contactless payments from passers by or from jackets at or near the till in a bar.

It does remind me of the once I genuinely thought I'd been scammed. £27.40, couldn't work out why.

The next day in work described my outrage to a colleague as we had been standing at the bar. This is a joke... etc. etc. My colleague replies

"Two Staropramen and 20 quid cashback?"

Suddenly it all made sense. I do more often use phone payments but not out of an inherent distrust of contactless - just I have my phone on me more often than my wallet. Like a true Scotsman.

Mad Max 05-03-2021 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073247)
I don't disagree but there is some scaremongering around readers taking contactless payments from passers by or from jackets at or near the till in a bar.

It does remind me of the once I genuinely thought I'd been scammed. £27.40, couldn't work out why.

The next day in work described my outrage to a colleague as we had been standing at the bar. This is a joke... etc. etc. My colleague replies

"Two Staropramen and 20 quid cashback?"

Suddenly it all made sense. I do more often use phone payments but not out of an inherent distrust of contactless - just I have my phone on me more often than my wallet. Like a true Scotsman.

Had to look that up, never heard of that beer before.

jfman 05-03-2021 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36073249)
Had to look that up, never heard of that beer before.

It's fantastic if you can get a good draught pint of it. The Griffin in Glasgow was my haunt then although bizarrely they stopped doing it in favour of Moretti.

Hugh 05-03-2021 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36073227)
Crooks using card reading equipment can swipe money as you walk
They can also steal information that they can then use to steal your identity
It even possible when contactless cards were in bags and jacket pockets
The equipment needed is available for as little as £30 online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-street.html

It's old news, but with stories like this you can see why people are against the £100 limit or they are disabling the chip altogether.

I have notifications on my bank and credit card (x2) accounts - if a transaction happens, I get a text notification.

I’d know immediately if someone was using one of my cards.

Mad Max 05-03-2021 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073250)
It's fantastic if you can get a good draught pint of it. The Griffin in Glasgow was my haunt then although bizarrely they stopped doing it in favour of Moretti.

Been in that pub, was a few years ago now, I think I've saved a small fortune by not being able to get out for a few beers.

papa smurf 05-03-2021 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36073274)
Been in that pub, was a few years ago now, I think I've saved a small fortune by not being able to get out for a few beers.

yea but you're going to make up for it;)

spiderplant 05-03-2021 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36073219)

If you get one, test it to make sure it works. Mrs P bought a Faraday pouch to keep the key for her new car. It was totally useless.

She now keeps the key in an old toffee tin, which works perfectly.

Sephiroth 05-03-2021 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073251)
I have notifications on my bank and credit card (x2) accounts - if a transaction happens, I get a text notification.

I’d know immediately if someone was using one of my cards.

Yes - I get mobile notifications of money in/out on all my bank accounts - current and savings.

newapollo 05-03-2021 23:12

https://www.facebook.com/videojanet/...95685727187287

Hugh 05-03-2021 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by newapollo (Post 36073301)

Thanks for that - I’ll make sure to look out for anyone pressing a contactless payment terminal against my crotch* when I’m out...

*I keep my wallet in my front trouser pocket

RichardCoulter 06-03-2021 02:26

A cashless society will help HMRC cut down on tax evasion e.g. window cleaners and cut down on benefit fraud. Contactless helps with the fight against Covid.

If your card is used fraudently, the banks should refund you under the Payment Services Regulations.

It's also safer than carrying cash or keeping it at home and will disrupt illegal activities so, on balance, I think i'm in favour.

Pierre 06-03-2021 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073316)
A cashless society will help HMRC cut down on tax evasion e.g. window cleaners and cut down on benefit fraud. Contactless helps with the fight against Covid.

If your card is used fraudently, the banks should refund you under the Payment Services Regulations.

It's also safer than carrying cash or keeping it at home and will disrupt illegal activities so, on balance, I think i'm in favour.

Yes, let’s get after them window cleaners.

Paul 07-03-2021 01:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36073247)

Scaremongering is all it is.

Yes, Im sure it could happen, if everything fell into place.
The again, your card could be cloned in an ATM, or when paying anywhere where you lose sight of it for a few seconds. You could be scammed by email, online purchase, or many other things.

Just more tin foil had brigade.

1andrew1 07-03-2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36073405)

The again, your card could be cloned in an ATM, or when paying anywhere where you lose sight of it for a few seconds. You could be scammed by email, online purchase, or many other things.

I've had my debit card cloned and it was more an inconvenience than anything else. The fraudsters made a small value transaction (£1.70 car park) to test that it worked. Then they tried to order some IT equipment online about nine times but each time that transaction failed. This alerted the bank who rang me straight away, cancelled the card and reversed the car park transaction.
The bank said it could have been cloned anywhere so not to worry about it.

RichardCoulter 08-03-2021 00:17

A consumer advice show has just said that people can be made liable for at least the first £50 that is spent before they report a card as lost or stolen. Apparently, they are "very reasonable about this" {unusually for banks).

However, if they believe that you've been negligent or taken your time to report the loss, this can be more up to the value of the value spent!

Negligent is a very subjective term though. Have you been negligent leaving it unattended somewhere? I would say yes, but have you been negligent by losing it out of your pocket? Not so clear cut.

I suspect a lot of people lie when they report a loss or theft.

Maggy 08-03-2021 09:10

I keep my cards inside a credit card hard wallet inside my bra.

RichardCoulter 08-03-2021 10:02

Good idea, though personally i'm not going to start wearing a bra just to keep my cards safe :D

Hugh 08-03-2021 10:07

Use a merkin instead...

Mad Max 08-03-2021 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073485)
Good idea, though personally i'm not going to start wearing a bra just to keep my cards safe :D

:D

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073487)
Use a merkin instead...

:shocked:

tweetiepooh 08-03-2021 11:53

I have a nice wallet that holds my cards and cash (coins and notes). When in office wear it sits in my shirt pocket else in my hip pocket, why should I buy a new wallet?

I like the opportunity to use cash as while you can use cash the government can't stop you trading. It's not the current ones you need worry about but the potential future rules. If there is no cash they could stop groups of people from buying or selling.

It could be sold as a way to protect from convicts, you lock their "account" so it can only be used for prison scrip, relatives can add to it, they can earn to it but if the escape they can't use "real" money.
OR
Use for military on deployment, they can use scrip for buying on base but not with locals and locals can't get scrip or however you want to reduce smuggling etc. Officials locals could take scrip and sell "approved" items/services.
OR
Use for foreign currency, you account could get a wallet for foreign currency you can fill up and then spend without the normal CC add on for foreign transactions.

Paul 08-03-2021 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36073478)
I keep my cards inside a credit card hard wallet inside my bra.

That must get some interesting looks when it comes to paying. :erm:

OLD BOY 08-03-2021 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36073405)

...Or someone could steal your cash. Nothing is 100% safe. At least if your card is stolen you can cancel it, and get a refund from your bank. When you have cash stolen, you'll be very lucky to see that again.

mrmistoffelees 09-03-2021 09:00

I can't remember the last time i used cash in the UK, I rarely even take my wallet with me, I pretty much now just use Apple Pay and either my phone or my watch.

BenMcr 09-03-2021 10:18

Mobile and watch payments need to have another form of activation though in order for them to work even for within the contactless limit.

For Apple you have to wake your watch or do biometric ID on the phone. Android devices and watches need something similar most of the time (though sometimes it's as simple as making the phone is 'awake')

It's why you can now do higher transactions with two forms of verification from the PCI guidlines which are:

'Something you know, such as a password or passphrase. Something you have, such as a token device or smartcard. Something you are, such as a biometric.'

My bank Natwest have recently allowed me to manage contactless (along with other payment methods) on my debit card. This now matches the app-based card providers.

I'm hoping the next stage on this will be to allow me to set my own contactless limit below the default if I want to.

jonbxx 09-03-2021 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36073615)
Mobile and watch payments need to have another form of activation though in order for them to work even for within the contactless limit.

For Apple you have to wake your watch or do biometric ID on the phone. Android devices and watches need something similar most of the time (though sometimes it's as simple as making the phone is 'awake')

It's why you can now do higher transactions with two forms of verification from the PCI guidlines which are:

'Something you know, such as a password or passphrase. Something you have, such as a token device or smartcard. Something you are, such as a biometric.'

My bank Natwest have recently allowed me to manage contactless (along with other payment methods) on my debit card. This now matches the app-based card providers.

I'm hoping the next stage on this will be to allow me to set my own contactless limit below the default if I want to.

Yeah, I use my phone now for payments rather than card now as I need to open my (Android) phone with a fingerprint. Definitely feels more secure than just tapping a card...

RichardCoulter 09-03-2021 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36073634)
Yeah, I use my phone now for payments rather than card now as I need to open my (Android) phone with a fingerprint. Definitely feels more secure than just tapping a card...

I'm surprised that something like fingerprints aren't now used instead of a PIN on cashpoint machines.

Chris 09-03-2021 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073648)
I'm surprised that something like fingerprints aren't now used instead of a PIN on cashpoint machines.

Your biometric data would have to be securely collected by your card issuer at the time you open the account. It’s not impossible to do but it would complicate the process a lot. ATMs would have to be updated and then card processing companies would come under pressure to replace every card reader with one that can read a thumb print. That would cost a fortune.

Most Americans don’t even have chip and pin yet, which is a pain in the ass when you’re trying to take a card payment off them with one of the small business friendly card readers out there, that work in conjunction with your phone or iPad because you end up asking them to sign your screen, and the result is illegible and rarely comparable with whatever’s on the back of their card.

BenMcr 09-03-2021 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073648)

You mean like this

https://www.rbs.com/rbs/news/2019/10...edit-card.html

Quote:

NatWest first UK bank to unveil biometric credit card
The first biometric fingerprint credit card issued by a UK bank begins its three-month national trial today. NatWest is piloting cutting-edge, biometric fingerprint technology with 150 customers, in partnership with Mastercard and Gemalto, a Thales Company.

The bank has previously piloted biometric debit cards, but this will be the first-time credit cards have been issued. The biometric credit cards will offer contactless payments using fingerprint verification for transactions up to £100, an increase on the current £30 limit.

As well as retaining contactless functionality, the fully integrated card can be used as normal in ATMs and for online shopping. Additionally, there are no hardware changes needed to accept biometric cards, so cardholders can use them at existing contactless and Chip and PIN terminals. The card is powered through the card terminal and when a customer presents a card, a green light on the card indicates that the fingerprint has been matched successfully.

45rpm 09-03-2021 18:11

Who would be crying If cash was abolished? Answer: all the bad guys. People smugglers, drug dealers, thieves and cheats.
A huge amount of crime would be switched off overnight, robberies, muggings, car theft.
Ok, a lot of honest folk like you and me would be inconvenienced but we would manage.
For sure, some of the very elderly might struggle at first but that is also manageable.

We’ve all done it, paid cash for Joe to do a cheap job on the house or car. Although it’s not a bad crime, it’s still naughty. Also, when the work is no good, it can be impossible to get recompense.
I think society would be far richer if we phased out cash. Starting with the £50 note; its introduction (IMhO) was a big mistake.

RichardCoulter 09-03-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36073668)
Who would be crying If cash was abolished? Answer: all the bad guys. People smugglers, drug dealers, thieves and cheats.
A huge amount of crime would be switched off overnight, robberies, muggings, car theft.
Ok, a lot of honest folk like you and me would be inconvenienced but we would manage.
For sure, some of the very elderly might struggle at first but that is also manageable.

We’ve all done it, paid cash for Joe to do a cheap job on the house or car. Although it’s not a bad crime, it’s still naughty. Also, when the work is no good, it can be impossible to get recompense.
I think society would be far richer if we phased out cash. Starting with the £50 note; its introduction (IMhO) was a big mistake.

True, though muggings would still happen for mobile phones etc.

Hugh 09-03-2021 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073694)
True, though muggings would still happen for mobile phones etc.

Most modern smartphones can be "bricked" remotely, or even traced through a "find my phone" app.

RichardCoulter 09-03-2021 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36073698)
Most modern smartphones can be "bricked" remotely, or even traced through a "find my phone" app.

Plus what would they do with it? I assume that they sell them on for cash these days.

I read that the system of blocking mobiles by something to do with the IMEI number can be circumvented by thieves:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...at+do+I+do+now

Is there some newer technology that improve upon this?

tweetiepooh 10-03-2021 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36073668)

As in my earlier post - yes cashless could block some of the low level criminal types (the high flyers would find ways and crime would move even more to the cyber space arena). But what if a future regime declares you or your social/racial/sexual/religious/etc group "bad guys"? What if the "good guys" are the one that agree to vote/follow/believe/accept what the rulers dictate? Yes you can vote electronically for the opposition, that's you democratic right as it is ours to control the spending of subversives out to destroy our wonderful way of life.

Cash prevents or at least reduces this risk as people can still trade without that trade being logged or controlled. It's always worth asking "what if?".

And no I haven't knowingly paid cash to avoid VAT/taxes other that very small jobs less than £20 or so and the last few of those the trader wasn't VAT registered.

Chris 10-03-2021 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073743)
As in my earlier post - yes cashless could block some of the low level criminal types (the high flyers would find ways and crime would move even more to the cyber space arena). But what if a future regime declares you or your social/racial/sexual/religious/etc group "bad guys"? What if the "good guys" are the one that agree to vote/follow/believe/accept what the rulers dictate? Yes you can vote electronically for the opposition, that's you democratic right as it is ours to control the spending of subversives out to destroy our wonderful way of life.

Cash prevents or at least reduces this risk as people can still trade without that trade being logged or controlled. It's always worth asking "what if?".

And no I haven't knowingly paid cash to avoid VAT/taxes other that very small jobs less than £20 or so and the last few of those the trader wasn't VAT registered.

These are pretty big 'ifs.' Even in a society entirely without card payments, your cash has to go in and out of the bank unless you're going to keep it all in your mattress. The last place I saw giving out wages in little brown envelopes on a Friday was a shop my missus worked in part time when we were first married, 20 odd years ago. These days almost everyone is paid electronically and you have to transact with a bank to get the cash in your hand. Almost every domestic service provider you deal with will resist cash payments very hard indeed, more or less compelling you to use the electronic banking system for online payment or direct debit, which uses electronic payment for every transaction even though you only authorise it once to start it off. There are a multitude of opportunities for an oppressive regime to control you by interfering with this system whether or not you pay with cash in your corner shop.

As a side note, I would suggest putting a little less faith in eschatological readings of Revelation that hang on 19th century American hysteria around the tribulation. Such things have become wildly popular in Charismatic circles but they were not the orthodox belief of the church for most of the last two millennia. We are not on the cusp of having beastly payment barcodes stuck to our wrists or foreheads. ;)

Carth 10-03-2021 10:49

I use cash whenever I can, call me an old farty luddite, I care not a jot :p:

I find cash very useful around birthdays, anniversaries etc, the wife knows I've taken £200 from the account, but has no idea where I've spent it. If I use card payments, she knows where I've spent the money and probably what on.

oh, and I will gladly pay (for example) a plumber £20 cash to replace a tap instead of £40 'through the books'. This may be due to the fact I am unable to claim tax relief on my 3rd London residence, for a fancy structure to house my ducks in the duck pond, and for the 4 members of close family I claim are personal secretaries :D

papa smurf 10-03-2021 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36073754)
I use cash whenever I can, call me an old farty luddite, I care not a jot :p:

I find cash very useful around birthdays, anniversaries etc, the wife knows I've taken £200 from the account, but has no idea where I've spent it. If I use card payments, she knows where I've spent the money and probably what on.

oh, and I will gladly pay (for example) a plumber £20 cash to replace a tap instead of £40 'through the books'. This may be due to the fact I am unable to claim tax relief on my 3rd London residence, for a fancy structure to house my ducks in the duck pond, and for the 4 members of close family I claim are personal secretaries :D

Went shopping this morning for the first time with no cash in my wallet, I put it in a birthday card the other day, I always pay by card but usually carry cash with me just in case the card machine is on the blink.

Ken W 10-03-2021 11:06

I went to a shop and they wanted cash only no cards

45rpm 10-03-2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073743)

Perhaps you could help me (us?) understand and list even one thing that you have purchased that you would want to keep private. In other words, what is it that you buy that would embarrass you if the authorities knew?

As for controlling your spend - I am totally lost.

Sure, if you're dealing in dodgy cat-converters, I can understand your point. Otherwise, please explain. Thanks.

heero_yuy 10-03-2021 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36073755)
I always pay by card but usually carry cash with me just in case the card machine is on the blink.

Likewise. I carry enough cash to cover just in case. I only have the one debit card and no credit cards.

Sephiroth 10-03-2021 11:39

I carry a load of cash because it's been there for the past year.

Chris 10-03-2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36073768)
I carry a load of cash because it's been there for the past year.

We had a family city break in Chester last October before things started locking down again. I got £100 out of an ATM in the city centre for kids' pocket money and whatever, but then almost everything we did all week was paid by card and I've barely left the house since we got back home. I still have £90 worth of pristine polymer Bank of England notes in my wallet.

Maggy 10-03-2021 11:49

My village butcher won't accept cards on orders less than £8. He's the only one.

papa smurf 10-03-2021 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073769)
We had a family city break in Chester last October before things started locking down again. I got £100 out of an ATM in the city centre for kids' pocket money and whatever, but then almost everything we did all week was paid by card and I've barely left the house since we got back home. I still have £90 worth of pristine polymer Bank of England notes in my wallet.

Are ye Scottish ;)

Ken W 10-03-2021 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36073770)
My village butcher won't accept cards on orders less than £8. He's the only one.

Our village shop will only accept cards for greater than £5.0

Sephiroth 10-03-2021 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36073789)

I hope it's not the village shop I use! Last time was there, cards were no problem.

RichardCoulter 10-03-2021 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36073789)

I don't know why shops impose minimum payments for card payments. Shops pay a %, usually based on turnover, so it doesn't matter if one customer spends £100 on their card or 100 spend £1 on their cards.

In days gone by it could be argued that it takes up too much time to process piddly little bits at the till, leading to queues, but these days with contactless it's probably quicker than a cash customer as they don't need to check the note under UV light, check & give out change etc.

All minimum payments do is irritate customers, which can lead to lost sales.

Perhaps there's evidence that supports the view that imposing a minimum charge increases average customer spend??

Ken W 11-03-2021 05:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36073790)
I hope it's not the village shop I use! Last time was there, cards were no problem.

Yes it is the village shop that you are thinking of, I have not been to that shop for some years and the may have changed their policy.

BenMcr 11-03-2021 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36073851)
I don't know why shops impose minimum payments for card payments. Shops pay a %, usually based on turnover, so it doesn't matter if one customer spends £100 on their card or 100 spend £1 on their cards.

Although that's true now, it is the case that the fees used to be per transaction, so it's possible that some retailer agreements are still based on that.
Quote:

Perhaps there's evidence that supports the view that imposing a minimum charge increases average customer spend??
I always thought it was a combination of the per-transaction fee (same reason why Amex acceptance is so spotty due to their higher fees), and the floor limit for cards that trigger a 'full auth' transaction, rather than an offline one.

Now that pretty much all card machines are always connected then the full auth thing is less of a problem but again that may depend on the setup.

As a related observation, my local pharmacy is still cash only (or was when I went last year). So I generally end up using others.

RichardCoulter 11-03-2021 15:20

I guess it goes both ways then, as the policy will make some spend more, but put other customers off.

tweetiepooh 12-03-2021 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36073758)
Perhaps you could help me (us?) understand and list even one thing that you have purchased that you would want to keep private. In other words, what is it that you buy that would embarrass you if the authorities knew?

As for controlling your spend - I am totally lost.

Sure, if you're dealing in dodgy cat-converters, I can understand your point. Otherwise, please explain. Thanks.

Once cashless it becomes possible for someone "in control" to prevent you buying or selling. They could monitor what you buy and sell, where you do it.

Again it's not the powers now that would be a concern but what a future regime could do if the tools and mechanisms are in place.

Chris 12-03-2021 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073990)
Once cashless it becomes possible for someone "in control" to prevent you buying or selling. They could monitor what you buy and sell, where you do it.

Again it's not the powers now that would be a concern but what a future regime could do if the tools and mechanisms are in place.

But they can do this already. It is functionally impossible for you to maintain a normal, 21st century British lifestyle while spending only cash. You have to interact with the financial system, and someone 'in control' and with malign intent could already make that very difficult for you.

Cash is in reality now only used for small purchases and there is little more an oppressive regime can do to you by interfering with that, than it could already do by interfering with the systems by which you pay for transport, housing, insurance and utilities.

tweetiepooh 12-03-2021 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36073996)
But they can do this already. It is functionally impossible for you to maintain a normal, 21st century British lifestyle while spending only cash. You have to interact with the financial system, and someone 'in control' and with malign intent could already make that very difficult for you.

Cash is in reality now only used for small purchases and there is little more an oppressive regime can do to you by interfering with that, than it could already do by interfering with the systems by which you pay for transport, housing, insurance and utilities.

True but with cash it is possible to "go underground" and use cash. You could even sell stuff to get cash to buy other stuff. Without cash that becomes a whole lot more difficult.
With cash "dishonest" traders could accept cash at a premium because they can use cash too.

Chris 12-03-2021 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073997)
True but with cash it is possible to "go underground" and use cash. You could even sell stuff to get cash to buy other stuff. Without cash that becomes a whole lot more difficult.
With cash "dishonest" traders could accept cash at a premium because they can use cash too.

Perhaps, but you’re now so far down the rabbit hole you’re describing a dystopian fantasy, very far removed from anywhere we could plausibly find ourselves in the foreseeable future. If you think that future is plausible enough that you need to argue for measures to help you cope with it there are other things you also ought to be doing, like digging a massive bunker under your house and filling it with long-life rations.

The reality is that when a domestic money system fails, or doesn’t enjoy the confidence of the people, the people find other tokens of exchange. Hence the widespread use of the US Dollar in 1990s Russia. I believe cartons of cigarettes were quite popular currency too.

RichardCoulter 12-03-2021 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36074010)
Perhaps, but you’re now so far down the rabbit hole you’re describing a dystopian fantasy, very far removed from anywhere we could plausibly find ourselves in the foreseeable future. If you think that future is plausible enough that you need to argue for measures to help you cope with it there are other things you also ought to be doing, like digging a massive bunker under your house and filling it with long-life rations.

The reality is that when a domestic money system fails, or doesn’t enjoy the confidence of the people, the people find other tokens of exchange. Hence the widespread use of the US Dollar in 1990s Russia. I believe cartons of cigarettes were quite popular currency too.

Yes, if/when cash is made obsolete, i'm sure that something else will be used as currency, particularly by the criminal underworld.

It's already happened with online currency by the use of cryptocurrency.

Chris 12-03-2021 16:32

Cryptocurrency is a way of doing it, but let’s not forget that gold and other precious commodities are also a universally accepted store of value. There will never be a shortage of ways to pay for something that a government can’t track - none of which need seriously concern us here. The barrier to our financial system isn’t caused by our government, nor is it ever likely to be. It is the increasing use of technology and remote customer service that makes it harder for those who have difficulty engaging with such things, for whatever reason. Cash in some form is therefore unlikely to disappear any time soon.

RichardCoulter 12-03-2021 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36074021)
Cryptocurrency is a way of doing it, but let’s not forget that gold and other precious commodities are also a universally accepted store of value. There will never be a shortage of ways to pay for something that a government can’t track - none of which need seriously concern us here. The barrier to our financial system isn’t caused by our government, nor is it ever likely to be. It is the increasing use of technology and remote customer service that makes it harder for those who have difficulty engaging with such things, for whatever reason. Cash in some form is therefore unlikely to disappear any time soon.

Maybe they will scrap cash, but keep the £5 note and anything below it, apart from copper.

Edit: But then what's to stop someone paying for £5,000 worth of drugs in fivers!!

Sephiroth 13-03-2021 20:32

Well, you did have the opportunity for deleting your post which contradicts itself.

45rpm 19-03-2021 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36073990)

I still don't see what spending the ordinary Jo(e) would wish to keep secret from the authorities.

Perhaps you can give me one example of something you buy that would cause you a problem if the government found out. It's the same question whether we live in a democracy or future dictatorship.

Hom3r 19-03-2021 10:57

I still have around £15 left of the £300 I took out last March, I've only spent cash in my Chinese Take-way which is cash only.

I will normally use cash for stuff under £5, but in the last year I've used contactless.

For me Upping the limit to £100 isn't an issue as my weekly shopping bit is around £60.

Plus My wallet has so much plastic in it isn't in my trouser pocket

tweetiepooh 19-03-2021 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36074801)
I still don't see what spending the ordinary Jo(e) would wish to keep secret from the authorities.

Perhaps you can give me one example of something you buy that would cause you a problem if the government found out. It's the same question whether we live in a democracy or future dictatorship.

How about buying Bibles? They may not be banned but in some countries the authorities could be interested in those buying them, especially in editions for children/young people and in local languages.

Sephiroth 19-03-2021 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36074801)

I wonder how Europe gets on with gender and cash?

As you all know, many/most European languages embody gender (not sex) in their vocabulary. For example, the Euro in German is neuter in gender.

In Polish, the Zloty is masculine but cash, gotowa, is feminine..

Scope for the woke brigade to get in on the act? And definitely scope for going cashless in Poland.

pip08456 19-03-2021 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36074811)
I wonder how Europe gets on with gender and cash?

As you all know, many/most European languages embody gender (not sex) in their vocabulary. For example, the Euro in German is neuter in gender.

In Polish, the Zloty is masculine but cash, gotowa, is feminine..

Scope for the woke brigade to get in on the act? And definitely scope for going cashless in Poland.

Don't get started on French!:D

Chris 19-03-2021 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36074807)
How about buying Bibles? They may not be banned but in some countries the authorities could be interested in those buying them, especially in editions for children/young people and in local languages.

Again ... risk assessment takes account not just of the worst that could happen, but also its likelihood. if we got to the stage where our government was in to oppressively monitoring religious affiliation, there would be a whole lot of other things to worry about than whether you could still pay for a Bible with a £10 note.

I think you've been reading a bit too much Frank Peretti. ;)

tweetiepooh 22-03-2021 10:06

My Dad worked on big banking projects BACS and then Chip and Pin for VISA and his view was always that these things are good but having the option of cash does prevent or greatly reduce the chances of preventing trade.

Revelation 13:16–18 (ESV): 16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

I believe that this will happen, I don't know what "the mark" will be but removing cash would make the implementation of the above much more possible.

Chris 22-03-2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36074957)
My Dad worked on big banking projects BACS and then Chip and Pin for VISA and his view was always that these things are good but having the option of cash does prevent or greatly reduce the chances of preventing trade.

Revelation 13:16–18 (ESV): 16 Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, 17 so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. 18 This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

I believe that this will happen, I don't know what "the mark" will be but removing cash would make the implementation of the above much more possible.

Yeah .... back in my youth group days we all thought it would be barcode tattoos, and we were amazed and awestruck because (apparently) the start/midpoint/end markers on a barcode are all a number 6 ... 666 ... geddit ...

Anyhow, what you're proposing is a a big, big stretch, based on a theologically pre-millennial view of history. It's worth remembering that pre-millennialism was an alien concept in Christian thought until the mid 19th century. For most of church history Revelation has *not* been seen as a warning of seven years of etc etc etc and we ought not to be persuaded by that view just because a few glitzy American authors have filled the Christian fiction shelves with it. ;)

Pre-Millennialism is a dangerous concept because it tends to lead to Christians treating the world as a basket case to be retreated from, and thereby blunts the vital message of Jesus' teaching in places like the Sermon on the Mount, where engagement, rather than resignation and retreat, is clearly what he has in mind.

Which takes us both thoroughly off-topic and somehow into the sort of territory that was a constant sub-plot on this forum back in its early days. :D I should add that back in those days I was as fervently pre-millennial as the rest of them. The difference is I'm coming to the end of a theology degree and I'm about to enter full-time ministry, so I've had the luxurious blessing of nearly four years to study this sort of thing in depth. Historical context is a great thing in theology.