Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Office 365/Outlook problem (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705807)

iadom 11-12-2017 21:06

Office 365/Outlook problem

2 Attachment(s)
I have Office 365 on my main PC and am allowed to install it on at least four other devices.

My wife has a brand new laptop so have installed the full Office 365 suite on that.

I set up the Outlook 2016 mail account using her own email address but for some reason I only get five of the folders/options that show up in the email account in Outlook 2016on my PC.

Googling and going through the help files has not been able to help me so far in adding at least some of these options.

I have attached two screen shots to show what I mean.

BenMcr 11-12-2017 21:24

Re: Office 365/Outlook problem

How are the mail accounts set up? POP / IMAP etc?

iadom 11-12-2017 21:54

POP3 on desktop but imap on new lappy.

BenMcr 11-12-2017 22:58

That'll be why then.

With a POP account, you get an Outlook PST file, and this creates lots of special items that are used by Outlook locally including Calendar and Contacts.

IMAP is a synced system, but is designed for mail only. It won't copy any special folders across. So as Calendars and Contacts aren't part of the IMAP system, even if they exist in any Webmail services, they won't be copied.

It's why so many businesses use Exchange Server - it's a way of getting things like shared folders and Contact lists when they don't exist is the 'classic' mail protocols.

iadom 12-12-2017 09:15

Hmm, I did try to set it up as a POP account but it failed, checking back I may have entered pop.ntlworld.com and not pop3.ntlworld.com.

Could that account for the failure to register?

BenMcr 12-12-2017 10:21

Yes, that's the wrong pop server.

However if you try again, for all server names you should use the virginmedia.com ones i.e. pop3.virginmedia.com and smtp.virginmedia.com.

All domains can use these now, and it's the recommended settings.

iadom 12-12-2017 10:39

Does that mean I can or should change my current ntlworld email address as well. Or will my old email address still work if the settings are changed to virginmedia?

Would the fact that my email address is the primary address from when I first joined Ntl . My wife’s email account was added several years later, could this have a bearing on which folders appear.

BenMcr 12-12-2017 10:51

As I said, the folders show are specifically down to whether it's set up as POP or IMAP in Outlook.

As to whether you should update your settings, it depends which settings you're using now. You should definitely be using the secure ports for POP (or IMAP) and SMTP. Virgin's current advice is to also use the virginmedia.com servers but that's not required at this stage.

iadom 12-12-2017 16:35

Thanks for all your help Ben, will have a play around with that later. New laptop is a Christmas present for the missus so have to work on it surreptitiously ATM.:)

One last question, sorry for being a bozo but am I correct in understanding that if I change my server settings to the .virginmedia.com ones the mail servers will still recognise my @ntlworld.com email and password?

Jim.

Quick edit, changed from .ntlworld.com to .virginmedia.com in my Windows Live Mail app and it timed out with error message. Will go back to .ntlworld.com and change the settings on the laptop to pop3 as soon as I get a chance.

BenMcr 12-12-2017 17:27

When you change from ntlworld.com to virginmedia.com settings, you need to make sure you've got the security and ports right as well:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...-Media-domains

The older servers allow for insecure settings, virginmedia.com doesn't

iadom 12-12-2017 18:05

Thanks again, after a lot of messing around I seem to have got the virginmedia.com mail servers working on Windows Live Mail, now to try Outlook.

Matthew 13-12-2017 06:35

Note if using Outlook client there are 2 views, down on the bottom left you have the icon where you can go to calendar and contacts, there is also the folder list which is different from the mail view. When in mail you get inbox, drafts, sent, deleted etc but when you go folder view you see everything including calendar. Only purpose that used to serve me was when using Public Folders with Exchange.

Hope that helps.

iadom 04-01-2018 15:29

Nearly all sorted, just one slight problem importing email folders to new laptop.

Main PC has Windows Live Mail and Outlook 2016 installed.

I was able to export all the folders I wanted from Live Mail to a .pst file and then successfully imported those into Outlook 2016 on the main PC without any problems.

However when I tried to import them into Outlook 2016 on the laptop I encountered a snag.

First of all I copied the Outlook.pst folder from my main desktop PC to the Outlook files folder on the new laptop over my home network.

I then attempted to import them into Outlook 2016. This also seemed to be going fine until it choked on one single folder which includes 3 sub folders. Every other folder imported perfectly but this one threw up this warning.

'The items in the 'Events Group 2017' folder cannot be imported/exported. Your chosen folder name is invalid.
This is most likely because you included your IMAP servers hierarchy delimiter in the name of the folder.'

I haven't altered any of the folder names and had no problem when importing them from Win Live Mail to Outlook 2016 on my desktop.????

AFAIK I didn't alter the names of any of the folders, is there any way I can remove this 'delimiter'

Any suggestions as there are quite a lot of messages in these folders.:(

Jim.

Edit. Would simply renaming the folders work?

safetywatto 06-01-2018 10:17

Not sure the previous comments made clear you can't have POP and IMAP for the same email account it has to one or the other