Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   350M : Changing MTU Size (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706126)

alanbjames 08-03-2018 00:44

Changing MTU Size

Hi Guys, im wondering if anyone can answer a question for me.

Im using Private Internet Access as a VPN and sometimes the speed can be dire even on different servers around the globe. Now looking at the manual for my Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 it states that if u have slow VPN speed to change the MTU size but it doesnt give a clear indication as to what size to try.

I know default is 1500 but can anyone point me in the right direction.

BTW... all ports are routed correctly for the VPN in port forwarding so that isnt the issue.

Thanks.

kalleh 08-03-2018 01:02

Re: Changing MTU Size

Issue could be your route to the vpn is congested ? Has it always been bad or is this a recent thing.. Possibly your route from VM -> their carrier is congested or on a poor link.

1500 is max unless you enable Jumbo framing then it can go to 9k most likely not supported by the vpn

in terms of lower values you could try 1492,1432,1488

Paul 08-03-2018 03:22

You can use ping to test values ;

Quote:

ping -l 1472 -f example.com
if the ping succeeds, you have a good MTU.

If it fails with "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.", then the MTU is too big.

FYI, 1472 works ok on my PC.

General Maximus 08-03-2018 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35939915)
BTW... all ports are routed correctly for the VPN in port forwarding so that isnt the issue

It is unfortunately and that is why I stopped using PIA a couple of years ago. I can't remember the exact option because I haven't got the client anymore but there were two fields, one for specifying a port number and one for something else. If I left both of those empty (which you can) the vpn would be fine and most people would probably be non the wiser. The problem I had was that when I used torrents they would start off at 1-2MB/sec and after a minute or so my vpn connection would drop and I would have to reconnect again, the torrent would start going again and then a minute later the connection would drop again. The only way I could get round it was to force port forwarding (which connects you to a more limited pool of servers) and whatever the other option is which maintained a stable connection but it would never go above 70k/sec. Once my 1 year subscription was up I left it because it was useless. I don't know what the technical ins and outs are but your speed issues are down to the fact that you are using port forwarding and whatever they are doing their end.

alanbjames 08-03-2018 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35939941)
It is unfortunately and that is why I stopped using PIA a couple of years ago. I can't remember the exact option because I haven't got the client anymore but there were two fields, one for specifying a port number and one for something else. If I left both of those empty (which you can) the vpn would be fine and most people would probably be non the wiser. The problem I had was that when I used torrents they would start off at 1-2MB/sec and after a minute or so my vpn connection would drop and I would have to reconnect again, the torrent would start going again and then a minute later the connection would drop again. The only way I could get round it was to force port forwarding (which connects you to a more limited pool of servers) and whatever the other option is which maintained a stable connection but it would never go above 70k/sec. Once my 1 year subscription was up I left it because it was useless. I don't know what the technical ins and outs are but your speed issues are down to the fact that you are using port forwarding and whatever they are doing their end.

What VPN do u use now? My year is up in June.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35939919)
You can use ping to test values ;

if the ping succeeds, you have a good MTU.

If it fails with "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.", then the MTU is too big.

FYI, 1472 works ok on my PC.

I will try this thanks.

General Maximus 08-03-2018 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35939976)
What VPN do u use now? My year is up in June

I don't. I wanted a vpn at the time because I was using 2 public trackers but I have switched to a strict private tracker now which is invite only. I am reluctant to try other vpns because PIA was supposed to be the best and if "the best" can't provide a stable connection or reliable speed over the alleged multiple gigabit links then there is not much hope.

alanbjames 08-03-2018 18:30

I Hear tunnelbear VPN supposed to be good.

pip08456 08-03-2018 20:32

I use VPNArea

https://www.bestvpn.com/vpnarea-review/

kev445 09-03-2018 09:23

Have they removed the traffic shaping? They used to allocate a fixed chunk of bandwidth to torrents and VPN from memory. I know that used to impact me in the evenings when I was using our company VPN.

Peter729 09-03-2018 10:54

A little off topic but I now see that PIA no longer allows you to view IPlayer when you are outside the Uk.

pip08456 09-03-2018 11:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev445 (Post 35940083)
Have they removed the traffic shaping? They used to allocate a fixed chunk of bandwidth to torrents and VPN from memory. I know that used to impact me in the evenings when I was using our company VPN.

IIRC traffic management is only on upstream now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 35940092)
A little off topic but I now see that PIA no longer allows you to view IPlayer when you are outside the Uk.

VPNArea still has a BBC iPlayer server.

Peter729 09-03-2018 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35940097)
IIRC traffic management is only on upstream now.

VPNArea still has a BBC iPlayer server.

I was told that although the VPN providers rotate there IP addresses the BBC soon recognises them and blocks access!!!

pip08456 09-03-2018 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 35940100)
I was told that although the VPN providers rotate there IP addresses the BBC soon recognises them and blocks access!!!

Then you continue to believe whoever told you. I have no problem with that.

I do know others that can continue access elsewhere.

THB I have no interest in any BBC content.

Peter729 09-03-2018 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35940117)
Then you continue to believe whoever told you. I have no problem with that.

I do know others that can continue access elsewhere.

THB I have no interest in any BBC content.

I can only relate what I was told by someone who is usually a good source, the explanation appears to be reasonable but I have no way to verify its accuracy or validity so neither believe or disbelieve it. I do know that my PIA VPN no longer allows access to BBC Iplayer when I am overseas.

pip08456 09-03-2018 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter729 (Post 35940126)
I can only relate what I was told by someone who is usually a good source, the explanation appears to be reasonable but I have no way to verify its accuracy or validity so neither believe or disbelieve it. I do know that my PIA VPN no longer allows access to BBC Iplayer when I am overseas.

Then try a VPN that allows it. VPNArea will refund a one month payment ( as a new customer) if it doesn't deliver what it says on the tin.

OK you have to pay 1 month in advance but if after 7 days it doesn't do what they say and you are unhappy they will happily refund you the (about £8.00) you paid.

If you end up happy you can get a yearly sub at about half the price. What have you got to lose?