Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : With the rise of the big players do we risk losing our identity ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706640)

muppetman11 30-07-2018 11:37

With the rise of the big players do we risk losing our identity ?

Virgin Media under Liberty Global

Sky potentially soon under Comcast ownership

Viacom owning Channel 5

Itv having so much speculation about being a potential takeover target by bigger media companies.

The rise of the streamers like Amazon and Netflix

With all this overseas involvement do we risk losing our identity and also risk seeing less and less UK content ?

pip08456 30-07-2018 11:44

Re: With the rise of the big players do we risk losing our identity ?

That is the globalist agenda.

Hugh 30-07-2018 12:01

The Cable Companies in the UK (when they started in the 90s) were mainly owned by US companies (PacBell, Jones Cable, Nynex, Videotron, United Cable, Telewest, etc.).

Maggy 30-07-2018 16:27

I don't think it's possible for us to lose our identity provided we bother to remember our history.

Raider999 30-07-2018 16:57

I am sure we will get more foreign content (mostly inane USA series)

pip08456 30-07-2018 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35957284)
I don't think it's possible for us to lose our identity provided we bother to remember our history.

Our society is changing though and a greater percentage year by year have a different history.

As we keep getting told we are now milticultural, my concept (and your) of history could well be totally different to my neighbours.

Maggy 30-07-2018 22:33

It's the rewriting of our history to suit modern tastes that's the real danger..the tearing down of our historical heroes like Nelson or our literary heroes like Kipling to suit modern day values is to be resisted.Also much of our history is entwined with that of our multicultural society because of our colonisation of much of the globe and incessant wars across many centuries.

LFC Scouser 11-08-2018 18:04

I can actually see where OP is coming from. The UKTV mess was likely from an American perspective (afterall, all the replacement content minus The Weakest Link is from the other side of the Atlantic - who the $!@% wants to watch repeats of 'Allo 'Allo?). I think with globalisation comes a loss of culture, accents and phrases are merging... if you look at some young people today they're gaining language from places they've never seen the skies over.

British TV will always have it's place - the Yanks lap it up and it is undeniably a part of our history.

But, we need to be responsible for preserving our identity in the media and in the real world as otherwise it will be cast aside.

gba93 11-08-2018 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC Scouser (Post 35958977)
who the $!@% wants to watch repeats of 'Allo 'Allo?).

Fortunately we don't all share the same tastes and I'm sure there are many, many people who do want to watch repeats of 'Allo 'Allo even if you don't.

Paul 11-08-2018 18:15

I'm pretty sure my identity is not in any danger.

tvtimes 16-08-2018 09:03

As a country we may be watching more US content than ever, but there's still a rise in home grown commissions and our own commissions are having a lot of success across the pond as well. So, no, I don't think we're losing our identity.

Stephen 16-08-2018 10:46

Its not just cable though is it. Almost all big companies are now owned by even bigger companies overseas.

OLD BOY 16-08-2018 12:59

If you ask me, we've already lost our identity. We will all be living under Sharia Law within a couple of decades if things continue to move in the multicultural direction we have taken.

There is a rapidly decreasing percentage of native British living in my area now, and if this is reflected in towns and cities all over the UK, it's too late now to regain it.

So we just have to accept it, I guess, and just hope that there will still be some British programmes still being made in years to come.

Otherwise, UKTV will be the only British option left! :D (Sorry, had to get that one in!).

pengedragon 16-08-2018 13:26

Wow

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

I thought this was one of the few places left on the net where I didn't encounter offensive claptrap

Sadly I was wrong

tvtimes 16-08-2018 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35959936)
If you ask me, we've already lost our identity. We will all be living under Sharia Law within a couple of decades if things continue to move in the multicultural direction we have taken.

There is a rapidly decreasing percentage of native British living in my area now, and if this is reflected in towns and cities all over the UK, it's too late now to regain it.

So we just have to accept it, I guess, and just hope that there will still be some British programmes still being made in years to come.

Otherwise, UKTV will be the only British option left! :D (Sorry, had to get that one in!).

Whether a joke or not that is shocking.