Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   BT TV service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707614)

OLD BOY 22-04-2019 11:09

BT TV service

If you subscribe to BT broadband, I gather you can also get a box to receive BT Sport 4K for £20. I know you also need an aerial to receive the Freeview channels, but if you just want BT Sport, can you receive it without an aerial?

The BT with Sky option is very poor value for money by the looks of it.

telegramsam 22-04-2019 13:50

Re: BT TV service

Isn't BT broadband much more expensive than Sky's though?

Chris 22-04-2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35991816)
If you subscribe to BT broadband, I gather you can also get a box to receive BT Sport 4K for £20. I know you also need an aerial to receive the Freeview channels, but if you just want BT Sport, can you receive it without an aerial?

The BT with Sky option is very poor value for money by the looks of it.

Yes you can. Any device that can host the BT Sport app can stream subscriber-only content for you. I’m pretty sure my Samsung TV can do it, though I’ve never bothered to check as I’m not a subscriber.

OLD BOY 22-04-2019 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35991839)
Yes you can. Any device that can host the BT Sport app can stream subscriber-only content for you. I’m pretty sure my Samsung TV can do it, though I’ve never bothered to check as I’m not a subscriber.

Thank you, Chris. I should have realised but I completely forgot that Amazon channels had the BT TV app there, and as you say, some smart TVs have it as well.

In case you are wondering, I was inquiring for my son-in-law, who is annoyed at having to pay so much to Sky for BT and be restricted to watching it only on the main Sky Q box. This appears to offer the required solution. Hopefully, they can pay BT directly and get it in UHD for less than Sky charge.

Unfortunately, he doesn’t live in a cabled area, much to his annoyance!

muppetman11 22-04-2019 16:51

Sky will have offers for the start of the new season as they reached a deal to wholesale BT Sport to it's customers from this year.

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/bt-a...11364237076521

OLD BOY 22-04-2019 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35991852)
Sky will have offers for the start of the new season as they reached a deal to wholesale BT Sport to it's customers from this year.

https://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/bt-a...11364237076521

Thanks, muppetman. Yes, if Sky are doing special deals to encourage BT Sports viewers onto their platform, that would be good. However, if Sky continue with this nonsense about only being able to view it on the main Sky Q and not on the mini-boxes, that would not really cater for his situation. Maybe the new arrangement between Sky and BT will lift that restriction.

muppetman11 22-04-2019 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35991853)
Thanks, muppetman. Yes, if Sky are doing special deals to encourage BT Sports viewers onto their platform, that would be good. However, if Sky continue with this nonsense about only being able to view it on the main Sky Q and not on the mini-boxes, that would not really cater for his situation. Maybe the new arrangement between Sky and BT will lift that restriction.

That stipulation has nothing to do with Sky that is BT as currently you are taking the channels directly from them.

telegramsam 22-04-2019 17:52

Muppetman is correct,it is BT that dictates that you can only watch BT Sport on your main Sky box unless you pay them (BT) a multi room sub. I pay extra to watch on my mini Q box. So in my case it may well work out cheaper for me to get BT Sport through Sky when it becomes available,assuming it becomes part of the already multi room sky offer me at present.
Incidently does anyone know when Sky will start offering it?

OLD BOY 22-04-2019 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35991861)
Muppetman is correct,it is BT that dictates that you can only watch BT Sport on your main Sky box unless you pay them (BT) a multi room sub. I pay extra to watch on my mini Q box. So in my case it may well work out cheaper for me to get BT Sport through Sky when it becomes available,assuming it becomes part of the already multi room sky offer me at present.

I see, thank you both!

muppetman11 22-04-2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 35991861)

I'd have thought we should hear something before start of new season.

telegramsam 22-04-2019 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35991883)

Thanks,will look out for it. As I said previously I'm hoping for a better deal than I currently have with BT.

1andrew1 27-04-2019 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35991883)

Yes. The BT press release says early 2019 but I suspect it will be after this Premier League season has concluded.

OLD BOY 02-05-2019 19:02

My daughter can only get Sky and currently receives BT Sport on only one screen. However, as it is her husband who wants to watch it and she doesn't, they have been trying to set up the second TV in the games room to receive the BT Sports channels.. However, when they tried to get into the BT TV app on Amazon channels, it would not work. BT wouldn't help because they say it is an Amazon problem, but they can't get it through Chromecast either.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a way through it without spending even more money on this?

Chris 02-05-2019 19:30

That entirely depends on why it’s not working. What’s the error message?

pip08456 02-05-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35993174)
My daughter can only get Sky and currently receives BT Sport on only one screen. However, as it is her husband who wants to watch it and she doesn't, they have been trying to set up the second TV in the games room to receive the BT Sports channels.. However, when they tried to get into the BT TV app on Amazon channels, it would not work. BT wouldn't help because they say it is an Amazon problem, but they can't get it through Chromecast either.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a way through it without spending even more money on this?

You should be able to get advice HERE.