Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

OldBear 26-06-2008 15:01

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Found this interesting: http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/news/22...es-annoy-users

Especially this quote: (My bold btw)
Quote:

“Companies need to ensure they aren’t alienating web users. The Internet is often the first port of call for research and a website deserves the same time and effort spent on other marketing materials. If companies continue in this way they will lose not only customers, but reputation."
These are the sort of reports BT, et al should be taking notice of.

OB

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:04

Reading an email sent to the ICO now, BT planned to target the Kingston area, aiming to sign up 10,000 of 25,000 customers.

They planned to use an interstitial pop-up the first time a browser was used.

BT then planned a wider roll-out after the trial.

Frank Rizzo 26-06-2008 15:05

That 30th May letter is probably the ICO to BT equivalent of the ICO to myself letter. Same date and same conclusion.

I would hope that my follow up letter to them after that date, and the noises from the EU since would have made the ICO realise that they need to take action and that the 30th of May letters were totally inadequate.

I have not had a reply to my follow up letter yet. I do hope the ICO make the correct decision.

roadrunner69 26-06-2008 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ico to dephormation under foi
"in these circumstances seeking consent would not have served a meaningful purpose and it would have been difficult to frame consent/cookie wording in a way that would have had resonance for customers"

Does that not go against the surveys from phorm/BT sugesting that customers were reacting positively to the scheme?

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:07

Picture of the interstitial BT planned to use.

Look at the level of information given about profiling, and the size of the [YES] [NO] buttons.

Also confirms, if you delete your cookies, you get prompted to opt in or out again (ie, you CAN'T opt out entirely)

If you live in Kingston, phone BT, ask for your MAC code.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/8.png

Wildie 26-06-2008 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585033)
Reading an email sent to the ICO now, BT planned to target the Kingston area, aiming to sign up 10,000 of 25,000 customers.

They planned to use an interstitial pop-up the first time a browser was used.

BT then planned a wider roll-out after the trial.

is that interception before the choice without consent in the first instance.

Privacy_Matters 26-06-2008 15:15

Quote:

Whilst it appears likely that a technical breach of the requirements...
A breach is a breach...

Quote:

... of the Regulations occurred in the 2006 and 2007 Trials, there is no evidence to suggest significant detriment to the individuals involved.
As there is no evidence to suggest otherwise - BECAUSE NO EVIDENCE WAS ASKED FOR.

How can this assumption be made without looking into the details... Cmon ICO, a house with a history of subsidence may or may not have significant detriment to the Home Owner's wellbeing - BUT A SURVEY IS STILL NEEDED.

[biting tongue........]

:mad:

Frank Rizzo 26-06-2008 15:15

The Kingston area itself was not targetted. They mean the Kingston RAS. This covers most of of Southern England, parts of Scotland and Wales so guinea pigs could have come from anywhere in the country.

See this post:

Kingston Ras

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34585039)

Looks that way to me. Its not 'opt in' at all.

Florence 26-06-2008 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585038)

Look at the level of information given about profiling, and the size of the [YES] [NO] buttons.

Also confirms, if you delete your cookies, you get prompted to opt in or out again (ie, you CAN'T opt out entirely)

There is not enough information there to make informed consent.
BT fail to say Phorm will be logging theri surfing habits, mirroring the site harvesting key words, to target adverts tot hem for a start.

No information on the history of Phorm.

Personal view if I was met by that I would refuse then start to reseach it if I had not already heard of it.

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo (Post 34585045)
The Kingston area itself was not targetted. They mean the Kingston RAS. This covers most of of Southern England, parts of Scotland and Wales so guinea pigs could have come from anywhere in the country.

See this post:

Kingston Ras

I'm sure you're right, but what they told the ICO was the service "will be trialled from 12th March to 16 April in the Kingston area. We will be targetting around 25,000 BT Broadband customers with he aim of getting 10,000 signed up users of the BT Webwise service".

They even tell the ICO "Nothing will change to the way the BT Broadband service is provided today to those customes who do not wish to join the trial" (apart from the fact they will have to carry cookies in every single application to indicate that they didn't want to participate).

Its just gross.

Privacy_Matters 26-06-2008 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34585050)

More so... NO mention of Phorm...

SimonHickling 26-06-2008 15:21

Quote:

How much more informed could the consent be? You know it's hard to explain.

:mad:

Edit - beaten by Florence.

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:25

19 March - ICO were experiencing 15+ calls a day about Phorm, and described it as "significant issue in terms of volume".

roadrunner69 26-06-2008 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34585050)
There is not enough information there to make informed consent.
BT fail to say Phorm will be logging theri surfing habits, mirroring the site harvesting key words, to target adverts tot hem for a start.

Personal view if I was met by that I would refuse then start to reseach it if I had not already heard of it.

Its exactly as most of us thought it would be, nice and fluffy, trusty BT logo, emphasis on anti-phishing, less adverts etc. And it's all FREE!!

Complete and utter BS.

Frank Rizzo 26-06-2008 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585053)
I'm sure you're right, but what they told the ICO was the service "will be trialled from 12th March to 16 April in the Kingston area. We will be targetting around 25,000 BT Broadband customers with he aim of getting 10,000 signed up users of the BT Webwise service".

This may correlate with the 1-2% or so, 10,000 to 25,000

It could be that the Kingston RAS has 1 Million users.

This is just another example of BT being economical with the truth and spinning.

They are trying to imply that the tests only involved a small local exchange (Weston-Super-Mare) in my case. But it is clear they mean one RAS exchange was used in the trial and that had the potential of intercepting a Million customers.

popper 26-06-2008 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34584994)
Just received a wallet full of documents from ICO, too many to upload at present.

Summary of info is here

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugi...topic.php?6937

There's some significant revelations. I'm still reading through it.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2008/07/25.gif

good, and dont forget to write up a Cable Forum News release based on the findings there,ASAP ,including our esteemed CF member Baroness sue's CF post quote ;) , the #10000 protest post details would be a good thing too as a build up, and have Mick or one of the others place it on the news page to get full world wide news coverage pointing here in minutes....

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:34

I am going to have to scan this whole dossier. Its just utterly staggering.

Can someone tell me who was the PR Week Award 2007 winner?

The name of the originators of some email has been obscured, but I'm guessing the originator was the winner of the PR Week Award 2007 ;)

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

Can anyone in the Bristol area volunteer a sheet fed scanner?

AlexanderHanff 26-06-2008 15:41

I had an email from Baroness Miller today too, just to add to the action :)

She has marked the protest in her diary and hopes to attend. She too feels there would be value in speaking to the public the day before she address HoL again.

Alexander Hanff

roadrunner69 26-06-2008 15:44

Deleted: Irrelevant

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:46

http://www.citigatedewerogerson.com/awards.html

PR Week Award 2007, Winner Best Financial Campaign

They exchanged many emails with ICO on Phorms behalf, "[Phorm] determination to be totally open and positively engage is even impressing critics, it seems".

It would be funny if it wasn't so untrue.

Deko 26-06-2008 15:51

I bet BT/Phorm wish they could have stopped you getting that dossier of info.

Good work Pete.

Florence 26-06-2008 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 34585089)

Good work Pete.

Bet the ICO had wanted tonot hand it over but thankfully the FOI helps

Dephormation 26-06-2008 15:56

More documents.

Home Office cover note from their advice document makes clear they have been involved with Phorm for 'some time' prior to January 2008... Details here

Update; the cover letter originated from Simon Watkin (see email address in the header)

Florence 26-06-2008 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585102)
More documents.

Home Office cover note from their advice document makes clear they have been involved with Phorm for 'some time' prior to January 2008... Details here

Update; the cover letter originated from Simon Watkin (see email address in the header)

No wonder he stopped replying to emails he knew he was in trouble...

I still have all my emails from him if you want them?

popper 26-06-2008 16:07

just think how much more is being left undisclosed though, Hence as you see, we NEED that FOI and ICO directives extended and enforced to include all private companies correspondence Baroness Miller ;)

Privacy_Matters 26-06-2008 16:08

Quote:

More documents.

ok, so the HO are caught out AGAIN:

Quote:

...You were interested in the view of the Home Office on your Client's proposal for the roll out of an internet based advertising service in the uk.

I am now able to let you have our considered view.
Is this the same HO who stated that the document was NOT specifically produced for Phorm???

I smell a rat - it can be SAFELY assumed that a request for the document had been made; subsequently a 'generalised' view had been created by the HO, built around the Phorm System...

I'd love to see the HO beat that rap....

:angel:

EDIT: Complaint being drafted re HO blatant 'Croneyism'.

EDIT 2: Try not to differentiate two Government bodies whilst kids screaming at yer feet ....

popper 26-06-2008 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34585079)
I had an email from Baroness Miller today too, just to add to the action :)

She has marked the protest in her diary and hopes to attend. She too feels there would be value in speaking to the public the day before she address HoL again.

Alexander Hanff

good, lets hope theres a tripod and cam handy, or at least a stong box to rest any cam phone so not to have a shaky video capture of any interesting public record of this one time event.

icsys 26-06-2008 16:15

What a wonderful week this is turning out to be...

first - NebuAd trials are frozen by their ISP, Charter.
second - Baroness Miller posts support in the forums.
third - Meglena Kuneva, EU Consumer Commissioner promises tighter legislation on internet privacy and data interception
fourth - the ICO release a batch of damning evidence.

Can it get any better?

Dephormation 26-06-2008 16:18

Alexander, you'll love this.

Take a look at this document.

BT explain that they dropped cookies, but don't tell ICO how, or why (the 2006 report tells you it was done to circumvent the BT terms and conditions that would have prevented them dropping cookies).

They then swapped the 'default ad' (they don't mention it was a charity advert) for a targeted one when possible.

They estimate 15,000 cookies users PER DAY.

There's almost nothing about the 2007 trial.

And BT seem surprised by the idea it should be opt in.

popper 26-06-2008 16:26

pete, i assume if this is the right PRweek, then the peoples pictures are in that bunch somewere, they even have a handy bulk download so you can save them for later sorting ;) 500meg though
http://www.prweek.com/uk/news/articl...k-awards-2007/

dont know if its only valid for my connection but its bulked here
http://www.theimagefile.com/bd/a0725...7a62d0d145.zip

AlexanderHanff 26-06-2008 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585125)
Alexander, you'll love this.

Take a look at this document.

And BT seem surprised by the idea it should be opt in.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall during that "little chat" mentioned at the end...

"Opt-In? You have to kidding surely? You realise that will kill our catchment figures? Surely there is an arrangement we can come to with regards to opt-out?"

Alexander Hanff

Dephormation 26-06-2008 16:28

BT go into a tailspin as ICO tell them "consent is more than simply 'not opting out' ".

:doh:

Even confirms "there would need to be some form of action where the individual knowingly indicates their consent to the processing".

roadrunner69 26-06-2008 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34585132)
I would love to have been a fly on the wall during that "little chat" mentioned at the end...

"Opt-In? You have to kidding surely? You realise that will kill our catchment figures? Surely there is an arrangement we can come to with regards to opt-out?"

Alexander Hanff

And that was only due to 'a couple of luddites and an anorak' kicking up a fuss.

mark777 26-06-2008 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585134)
BT go into a tailspin as ICO tell them "consent is more than simply 'not opting out' ".

Even confirms "there would need to be some form of action where the individual knowingly indicates their consent to the processing".

Surely big companies that seek extensive legal advice should not be surprised by this (PECR)? :D

Dephormation 26-06-2008 16:37

European Commission get suckered too.

A question for any passing EU Commissioners, how is having your entire data communication intercepted a privacy enhancement?

Woah... it says Phorm should present its technology to the Article 29 Working Party.

Isn't that the working party 80/20 Thinking are chairing?

:omg:

vicz 26-06-2008 16:44

Quote:

More documents.

Pete FYI the 'Home Office Covert Investigation Policy Team' is the team including Simon Watkin that ran the consultations on RIPA, inter alia.
http://p10.hostingprod.com/@spyblog.org.uk/blog/ripa3/

Dephormation 26-06-2008 16:49

I've hesitated to scan the mails concerning earlier launch dates that BT cancelled.

I've included this one because it is more current, June 2008.

Its not clear whether the email originates from Phorm or BT, but it suggests either BT or Phorm were expecting trials to start in early June (obviously, the dates have gone by already)

Privacy_Matters 26-06-2008 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585140)

A question for any passing EU Commissioners, how is having your entire data communication intercepted a privacy enhancement?

Woah... it says Phorm should present its technology to the Article 29 Working Party.

I'm not sure, but looking.

UPDATE: Doesn't look like they are fundamental to 'Article 29'.

Meanwhile... a little of their opinions, which incidently back up ours. TBH, I think they will be trying to sway opinion.

http://www.privacyinternational.org/...m20041115b.pdf

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

PR? likely :

http://www.phorm.com/reports/Article_29_Apr8-08.pdf

This appears to be the ruling they reference:

http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj...8/wp148_en.pdf

Florence 26-06-2008 16:59

Quote:

There is conflict of interests and this needs to be highlighted to them. Simon needs to consider his reputation if he fails to declare conflict of interests and brings Phorm into this meeting he is turning his back on all the good work he completed before Phorm bought him.

An image that is worth looking at see if you can spot the difference?

icsys 26-06-2008 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585147)
I've hesitated to scan the mails concerning earlier launch dates that BT cancelled.

I've included this one because it is more current, June 2008.

Its not clear whether the email originates from Phorm or BT, but it suggests either BT or Phorm were expecting trials to start in early June (obviously, the dates have gone by already)

So, from that e-mail the trial was going to start on monday 9th June.
That may explain all the news articles stating the trial was 'imminent'

popper 26-06-2008 17:04

Quote:

i cant find the post on this thread right now, but yes it was something to do with them, but indirectly i seem to remember.

im keeping an eye on this http://ec.europa.eu/justice_home/fsj...s/index_en.htm
and nothing in their news seems to relate to it yet.

they (the Eu/A29WP) are asking for External Experts as in 3rd party tech experts to be on call to advise on web tech matters etc, but i cant find the direct URL to it now off there, perhaps some here can find it, and apply for some posts...

Dephormation 26-06-2008 17:13

No DPI gets a mention as the trial in early June is cancelled.

Looks like ICO are talking to BT lawyers.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

The last, and perhaps the most intriguing of all the documents.

Mostly blacked out, but one phrase left to contemplate...

"we anticipate that matters may rest here"

I don't expect that means what I hope it means, but it would be nice to think so.

icsys 26-06-2008 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585161)
No DPI gets a mention as the trial in early June is cancelled.

Looks like ICO are talking to BT lawyers.

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

The last, and perhaps the most intriguing of all the documents.

Mostly blacked out, but one phrase left to contemplate...

I don't expect that means what I hope it means, but it would be nice to think so.

"[BT]considering our options....given the innaccuracy of much of the comment..."
[on nodpi.org? Page 10 - ad hijacking post]"

Cogster 26-06-2008 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 34585089)

Good work Pete.

Id echo those comments.. Seriously good job!;)

Dephormation 26-06-2008 17:16

Some conclusions then;
  • ICO have comprehensively failed to understand Phorm, or demonstrate independent regulation
  • ICO have not adequately investigated the trials of 2006, and particularly 2007
  • ICO have not sought any technical data from BT during the investigation
  • ICO have not sought independent industry expertise
  • European Commissioners have similarly been fooled into believing Phorm, effectively mass communication interception, was some kind of privacy enhancing technology
  • Simon Watkin of the Home Office has been engaged with Phorm for 'some time' prior to January 2008
  • BT have tried to pull the wool over the Information Commissioners, paying lip service to requests for information

Idiots all of them.

And we need to redouble the effort to get the message over.

I'm told Derek Wyatt MP is interested in Phorm.

mark777 26-06-2008 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585161)

That's got to relate to the legal threats to Alex, surely?

EDIT : Great work Pete, have a coffee, your hands must be falling off!

roadrunner69 26-06-2008 17:24

Well done Pete, bloody brilliant.
Take Five. :)

icsys 26-06-2008 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark777 (Post 34585170)
That's got to relate to the legal threats to Alex, surely?

EDIT : Great work Pete, have a coffee, your hands must be falling off!

It does... https://nodpi.org/?p=10 is referenced in the e-mail

Frank Rizzo 26-06-2008 17:28

re: MP's

I don't know about the House of Lords or the EU but the MPs go on their long summer holiday from 28th July.

If we don't get any action out of them by then I doubt we will until late September. It would be a shame if any support by them fizzles out.

bluecar1 26-06-2008 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585167)
Some conclusions then;
  • ICO have comprehensively failed to understand Phorm, or demonstrate independent regulation
  • ICO have not adequately investigated the trials of 2006, and particularly 2007
  • European Commissioners have similarly been fooled into believing Phorm, effectively mass communication interception, was some kind of privacy enhancing technology
  • Simon Watkin of the Home Office has been engaged with Phorm for 'some time' prior to January 2008
  • BT have tried to pull the wool over the Information Commissioners, paying lip service to requests for information

Idiots all of them.

he is my MP, will drop him a letter, i am in brum tonight in a hotel, so plenty of time to email him and suggest if he want i can meet to explain more

Wildie 26-06-2008 17:48

so in a nut shell where does everyone stand now?

Mr Angry 26-06-2008 17:55

I'm just to the right of the fridge freezer and adjacent to the living room door.

Wildie 26-06-2008 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 34585197)
I'm just to the right of the fridge freezer and adjacent to the living room door.

you sure now you not sat in a chair in front of a screen and k/b ;)

Tharrick 26-06-2008 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34585194)

I don't. I'm sitting down, because I'm lazy like that.

(BTW, hi again all. Once again, I go away for a few days and miss some massive bombshells.)

tee cee 26-06-2008 18:37

Another "well done" here, Pete

Webwise, Phorm, BT, Talk Talk, Virgin Media, The Home Office and DOI, 80/20 Thinking, a veritable army of PR parasites, lawyers,etc ...

Not a truthful word
Not a shred of integrity
Nothing

Why am I NOT surprised ?

serial 26-06-2008 18:38

WOW, excellent work Pete. Hopefully this will cause more bad publicity for BT and they won't want to start the trial at the same time.

warescouse 26-06-2008 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585167)
Some conclusions then;

Idiots all of them.

Pete, Your like a dog with a bone ;) :clap:

Deko 26-06-2008 18:48

http://www.woofdistribution.com/imag..._gets_bone.jpg

WOOF WOOF pete.

Google found it so it must be ok :-)

icsys 26-06-2008 18:52

Quote:

Joking aside... where does everyone stand now in light of this information?
(With still more to come)

Deko 26-06-2008 18:54

Yeah I think Mr Hanff alluded to some info he can't release as its under NDA, i PM'd him about it.

But toms friday and maybe it will become clear then.

Who else has FOI requests outstanding ?

icsys 26-06-2008 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 34585233)
Yeah I think Mr Hanff alluded to some info he can't release as its under NDA, i PM'd him about it.

But toms friday and maybe it will become clear then.

Me, but I dont expect as much info as Pete and it may be duplicated.

Wildie 26-06-2008 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by icsys (Post 34585232)
Joking aside... where does everyone stand now in light of this information?
(With still more to come)

eyes are in over load they rolling and can`t keep up.
:erm:

vicz 26-06-2008 19:50

I think the proposed webwise interstitial sign up page shows exactly what the intentions and motivations are of phorm and BT. Does it look as if it is designed to allow an end user to make an informed choice about staying subscribed to a 'service' which trades away some privacy for the (dubious) benefits of 'less irrelevant advertising'? Or does it look like something designed to mislead users into signing up for something they don't understand, without knowing what they are committing to or what the implications are? Clearly it is designed to trick the unwary into participating. In fact is exactly like the sort of EULA fine print found in spyware products such as those with which 121media and Ertugral made their ill gotten gains.

So if anyone ever again tries to portray webwise as something good for the consumer, just show them the page, and then lets see them defend it.

bluecar1 26-06-2008 20:16

Quote:

"reduces the number of irrelevant adverts you see on participating websites"

that would suggest to people they will actually see fewer adverts, NOT the same number just targeted at them due to spying on there browsing

that is just down right misleading

peter

popper 26-06-2008 20:28

Quote:

that is in NO WAY ,SHAPE OR FORM, in line with any concept of Informed consent from any legal system anywere

that is and advert for inadequate phishing protection you dont need as you already have it in your default browser and that is in its best light.

its CON trick, a SHAM......

there is not mention in any shape or form, that by clicking that yes/on link YOU are infact agreeing to something totally unrelated to the text on that page, your right to privacy, and potentially signing away your ability to profit from your unique copyrighted datastream property.

at no point do they even point out your every web click, and page visited will be collected,collated, processed, and perhaps after all that, finally anonymised and sent to a "derivative work" that you can not then finantially profit from.

that page wouldnt pass go in any court of law....but it might make you a few quid after you take them to court.

so they want you to click yes, and that gives them the right to do something totally
unrelated to the text you have read and agreed to.

fine, if thats the case , by allowing said user to click yes they agree that by placing a BT,webwise or any other DPI associated cookie in any form,on the agreeing users machine, BT also agree to pay said user £100 an hour or nearlest hour which ever is the greater, plus VAT and all delivery charges, in advance, and in cash ,delivered to the acount holders front door no later than 9am, , for their storage per single cookie on said users machine ;) for starters, you can make your own rules up as you go, if the commercial pirates for profit can make it up, so can the paying users.

Wildie 26-06-2008 20:35

print some off and take a on the street view by asking anyone what it means to them also needs a online one as well.

Florence 26-06-2008 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34585323)
print some off and take a on the street view by asking anyone what it means to them also needs a online one as well.

Very good idea that image needs posting on as many forums as possible asking people to say what they think they are agreeing to if they clicked to accept?

icsys 26-06-2008 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34585324)
Very good idea that image needs posting on as many forums as possible asking people to say what they think they are agreeing to if they clicked to accept?

Permission to link Sir! ??
(Thinks about bandwidth usage due to the amount of hits to dephormation)

bluecar1 26-06-2008 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecar1 (Post 34585300)
"reduces the number of irrelevant adverts you see on participating websites"

that would suggest to people they will actually see fewer adverts, NOT the same number just targeted at them due to spying on there browsing

that is just down right misleading

peter

just noticed the bottom line "if you delete your cookies you will be asked to switch on BT WebWise again"

so they will just badger you until you give in

peter

OldBear 26-06-2008 21:12

Re: that Weblies image:

I'm bothered by that line that says
Quote:

...your data will be held in line with an amended BT Privacy Policy...
If this is so, why do they keep insisting "no data will be kept or stored anywhere", and "that it's all deleted immediately the page you request loads", etc? What data are they talking about?

OB

Incidentally, isn't that PR firm mentioned above the one that had their people posting in forums all over the place in the guide, PhormTechTeam? I'm sure it's the same lot that BadPhorm outed, (could be wrong, though).

Florence 26-06-2008 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by icsys (Post 34585330)
(Thinks about bandwidth usage due to the amount of hits to badphorm)

perhaps a few copies on a few different websites I host one for a while or any one with plenty of bandwidth willing to host a copy so we can get the message out.

popper 26-06-2008 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34585039)

Yes, the second they make Your Unique datastream pass to that Deep Packet Inspection/Interception device , and power it up , it will be collecting your data, no two ways about it.

it is Interception Before choice or agreement to allow them to intercept your data property.

and as we all know, that is against RIPA, DPA, Copyright, etc, the second they plug it in ,power it up, and the observing ICO team instantly fail, Phorm fail, and BT fail.

Dephormation 26-06-2008 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by icsys (Post 34585330)
(Thinks about bandwidth usage due to the amount of hits to badphorm)

You're welcome to link to those images. They're hosted on Dephormation at present.

I need to compile a page by page electronic version of the dossier so you can read the same horror story, but I could do with a batch scanner.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBear (Post 34585341)
Incidentally, isn't that PR firm mentioned above the one that had their people posting in forums all over the place in the guide, PhormTechTeam? I'm sure it's the same lot that BadPhorm outed, (could be wrong, though).

You're right. Its Citigate Dewe Rogerson.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 34585233)

I'm waiting on a Home Office FoI, due early July.

July is shaping up to be 'interesting'. Don't go on holiday without a laptop.

And if you're on BT, particularly under Kingston RAS, get your MAC code and move now.

davidb24v 26-06-2008 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34585342)
perhaps a few copies on a few different websites I host one for a while or any one with plenty of bandwidth willing to host a copy so we can get the message out.

ImageCave link - "Unlimited" bandwidth, apparently. Is that like my "Unlimited" 20Mb VM cable broadband then? :erm:

Dave

bluecar1 26-06-2008 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecar1 (Post 34585187)
he is my MP, will drop him a letter, i am in brum tonight in a hotel, so plenty of time to email him and suggest if he want i can meet to explain more

just sent the below via theyworkforyou, now wait and see what comes back

thanks to inphomationdesk for the template

peter

Dear Derek Wyatt,

As one of your constituents I would like to draw your attention to the issue of privacy related to a new advertising system called BT WebWise and it is promoted by a company called “Phorm”, this system may soon be utilised by Internet Service Providers in this country. BT have already done 'secret' (and illegal!) trials in 2006 and 2007.

Virgin Media and Talk Talk are currently in talks with Phorm with a view to introducing the system later this year.

The technology which causes greatest concern is that of Deep Packet Inspection and its use by an advertising company. This unit is installed by Phorm but gifted to the ISP to circumvent data protection act issue of a third party processing data on the ISP's network - the ISP has no access to it so cannot test, check or verify anything about the unit - and it inspects every packet of data which passes through it whether the customer is opted in or out this is shown on the BT network diagram (if opted out the customer is just not served adverts).

The alleged idea of this technology is to read ALL internet activity by a customer and use the information to better target on-line advertising. However, there are grave concerns over the method of encoding used to keep user’s details anonymous and over the level of permission needed for this software to install itself and begin running.

Everyone who works from home, be they home workers or members of Parliament or anyone in-between would find their data being subjected to the kind of inspection only intended for law enforcement activities and which would only ever be available to a judge following due legal process. Confidential material worked on by yourself or your colleagues, critically confidential business, personal or even security information could well be intercepted and examined. This includes constituants emails to and from yourself if a constituant uses a web based email service (although phorm do say they have a list of 100 webmail systems they do not look at, but bear in mind that is a small fraction of the number or web mail system out there and they will not publish which ones they are or how to get others added)

I am suspicious of this software, which bears so much similarity to “spyware”, indeed there are reports that some employees of Phorm are former spyware developers. I do not trust these people to have so much unprecedented access to my
internet usage information, my preferences, habits and political views.

if you dig into the background of phorm they changed their name from 121media last year , 121media was responsible for a nasty spyware application called "people on page" which used root kit technology (very difficult to remove as it embeds itself very deeply into windows).

if you dig into Kent Ertugrul (phorms CEO) you find most of his ventures involve collecting personal information on people

if you dig into the programing team behind WebWise you find "The development team for the new software was recruited from Moscow's elite Lebedev Institute of Precision Mechanics and Computer Engineering, a vital part of of the Cold War spying effort and still a centre for developing Russia's 'national security' computer systems." - Mail on Sunday article

the information presented by both phorm and BT to the ICO and HO has been lacking important detail and talked about general principles and there have been a number of news articles exposing these facts, look at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...horm_meetings/ or https://nodpi.org

there is also an early day motion about this by don foster http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDe...px?EDMID=35552

and a petition on the PM's website http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/ with nearly 15,000 signatures since march

i have also asked BT if there are sufficient controls to prevent my children from accepting this service on my behalf and changing my contract with BT (as to accept webwise you have to accept a change to the privacy clause of the contract) as there is no check on the opt-in / opt-out website (which is runn by phorm and at a hosting centre outside the main BT network to ensure the person enacting the initial change to the contract is the account holder as there would be issues allowing phorm (a third party) access to the BT customer database to verify the username and password of the account holder, i have recieved the answer it is my responsibility, this is clearly unacceptable

Feel free to ask for any further information and links.

I would ask that you convey my concerns to the relevant political authorities and ensure that, if Phorm is allowed to progress at all, that hefty restrictions are placed on its ability to intrude on consumer privacy.

I would like permission to post your reply on cable forum ( http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...-page-675.html) feel free to come in and join the debate

you will see there has been a lot of information release regarding this under a FOI request on the forum

Yours sincerely,

AlexanderHanff 26-06-2008 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34585155)
There is conflict of interests and this needs to be highlighted to them. Simon needs to consider his reputation if he fails to declare conflict of interests and brings Phorm into this meeting he is turning his back on all the good work he completed before Phorm bought him.

An image that is worth looking at see if you can spot the difference?

I can tell you all now that Phorm are not involved in the Article 29 working party in any way what so ever because I know for a fact they are not, so don't worry about that.

Alexander Hanff

icsys 26-06-2008 21:55

With regard to the interstitial page, it would be interesting to know what clicking on 'Find out more' will bring up

popper 26-06-2008 21:59

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/im...s/viewpost.gif

See this post:

Kingston Ras

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585053)

They even tell the ICO "Nothing will change to the way the BT Broadband service is provided today to those customes who do not wish to join the trial" (apart from the fact they will have to carry cookies in every single application to indicate that they didn't want to participate).

Its just gross.

holly molly, people REALLY need to read your linked post
that RAS is covering, so many SERVING EXCHANGEs i lost count after 10 pages, a total of 32 full pages werth, and thats not even counting the seperate peoples homes in each areas that are connected to those SERVING EXCHANGEs connected to that/those Kingston RAS DPI devices.

i was going to copy it here as i find BP really hard to find information without a link somewere else,i even loose the few posts iv made there :erm:,but ill leave that up to you....

Dephormation 26-06-2008 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34585374)
that RAS is covering, so many SERVING EXCHANGEs i lost count after 10 pages, a total of 32 full pages werth, and thats not even counting the seperate peoples homes in each areas that are connected to those SERVING EXCHANGEs connected to that/those Kingston RAS DPI devices.

i was going to copy it here as i find BP really hard to find information without a link somewere else,i even loose the few posts iv made there :erm:,but ill leave that up to you....

I'll try to get the whole lot scanned and up on Dephormation soon. I'll try to structure it to make the docs accessible. It won't look pretty (I'm tech not graphics!) but I'll try to get the navigation easy to use.

Florence 26-06-2008 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34585374)

BT really have to be brought to task over this those in high managment need to be removed from control.

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34585368)
I can tell you all now that Phorm are not involved in the Article 29 working party in any way what so ever because I know for a fact they are not, so don't worry about that.

Alexander Hanff

Alex I really hope they are not asked to go but after reading it in those notes today and since 80/20 are chairing it, trust is not what comes naturally at present.

kagemusha 26-06-2008 22:14

Quote:

If this document is correct then BT and Phorm are misrepresenting good and services, breaking The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Specifically

Part 2, Prohibitions. Sub section Misleading Omissions.

6.—(1) A commercial practice is a misleading omission if, in its factual context, taking account of the matters in paragraph (2)—
(a) the commercial practice omits material information,
(b) the commercial practice hides material information,
(c) the commercial practice provides material information in a manner which is unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely, or.....

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/uksi_20081277_en_1

(Thanks to Annie Hall for directing me to the legislation)

icsys 26-06-2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34585379)
Alex I really hope they are not asked to go but after reading it in those notes today and since 80/20 are chairing it, trust is not what comes naturally at present.

I believe the EU suggested that Phorm present Webwise to the Article 29 working party "on the basis that it enhances privacy".

Whether that means Phorm themselves present it i'm not sure.

popper 26-06-2008 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34585378)
I'll try to get the whole lot scanned and up on Dephormation soon. I'll try to structure it to make the docs accessible. It won't look pretty (I'm tech not graphics!) but I'll try to get the navigation easy to use.

tech is good, pritty, well thats in the eye as it were, personally id advocate a totally seperate "moobunny" style free form page for BP that gets auto updated with any new posts and subjects as it happens, Seriously it really works for keeping track and looking back as a super low bitrate wayback machine type page ,and the moobunny on page google search link works perfectly with Johns custom MB layout, simple but good.

http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/amiga/

you can keep the main part as you do now, just link in a Moobunny style side page somewere and its then easy to see and keep track of 3 days werth of posting.

i must warn you though, the moobunys are rather odd , and dont mention the amiga court case or documents etc :angel:

id go as far as to say a simple layout "moobunny" type page with NO pre-registration in any form is a great way to serve the on the fly "low bitrate" live protest posting if someone can make it.

sure you get trolls and bad posts, but on ballance its a good thing not having to register to post first.

NTLVictim 26-06-2008 22:31

Quote:

I'm standing by.

serial 26-06-2008 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by icsys (Post 34585372)
With regard to the interstitial page, it would be interesting to know what clicking on 'Find out more' will bring up

Probably this page:

http://webwise.bt.com/webwise/how-it-works.php

Dephormation 26-06-2008 22:36

First two batches of docs available to download as PDFs. Let me know if there are any problems;

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugi...topic.php?6987

NTLVictim 26-06-2008 22:38

Got this PR thing down pat, haven't they?

BT PRscrewup part deux

Florence 26-06-2008 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by icsys (Post 34585393)
I believe the EU suggested that Phorm present Webwise to the Article 29 working party "on the basis that it enhances privacy".

Regardless on if phorm present it or they have this information to read with 80/20 thinking chairing thye have to declare the conflict of interests and withdraw from that part or it is expected they will manipulate this meeting to get phorm accepted.

warescouse 26-06-2008 22:55

The more I look at that BT 'consent' form the more angrier I get. If that is really BT's informed consent form to WebWise privacy spying, I hope it will be added to their list of crimes when they finally get their legal comeuppance.

Although I am angry, should I really be surprised?

After all, BT now has the joint experience of Phorm(121Media) and I suspect Phorms experience of how they originally got the uninformed public to allow rootkits and spyware to infest PC's to propagate their old ad spyware network. I personally see little difference in the presentation of this screen and presentation the PeopleOnPage bar.

In my opinion they both could fool the public as to what really happens to to your data and also the real intent of what the public could be agreeing to beforehand.

icsys 26-06-2008 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial (Post 34585413)

Thats new [to me], I haven't seen that one before.

jtechs 26-06-2008 23:06

as for the ICO files, I will host them all for as long as required, leech away. unlimited BW

www.btweblies.com

Jtech

Wildie 26-06-2008 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial (Post 34585413)

is it me how i see things as i see that they putting the smallest part of it the anti phishing in big eye catching form info first and the real main reason for the service 2nd and small and not so eye catching.

oi web browsers come with anti phishing built in and they work without the adverts.
:dunce:

popper 26-06-2008 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by icsys (Post 34585393)

perhaps if the baroness turns up , hopefully she might even see fit to inform and bring along some of her peers too, someone can ask her, what exactly was it that also gave her the misguided initial opinion that Phorm were as the EU also seem to think was so great, a simple lack of basic laymans/womans details being given them ,talking up the it "doesnt store" lie, or forgetting to mention the very first data protection rule "dont collect" without good reason, never mind collate,process,store,export etc.

it would be good to understand why (as in why did they beleave the tale being told) and how they are being lied to to get he required effect and complience.

serial 26-06-2008 23:14

OK, am I being dumb: "The ICO has not contacted any independent IT experts for their view on Webwise since being made aware of the 2007 trails(sic) on 10 March 2007"

dates of contacts between ICO and Phorm, 8020 and BT:

1st contact Phorm 20/03/08
1st contact BT - 03/04/08
8020 - never

So who informed them of the trials in March 2007? I thought the 2007 trials were later in the year.

Kursk 26-06-2008 23:26

We're kind of aiming at a peripheral target here and it might be an idea to give officialdom room to 'manoeuvre'. Technology moves at a pace and it is unlikely that anyone can keep abreast of all of the change all of the time. They are getting up to speed and it might serve us better to get them onside; we need allies not enemies.

Dephormation 26-06-2008 23:32

Full suite of scanned docs now uploaded to Dephormation as PDFs.

Links below, thread on Badphorm if you need full hi res scans, or a CD copy.

FoI Response, Covering letters (9Mb)

Letters from ICO to BT, and BT to ICO (9Mb)

Email Correspondence Batch 1 (6Mb)
Email Correspondence Batch 2 (6Mb)
Email Correspondence Batch 3 (6Mb)

Goodnight. :sleep:

popper 26-06-2008 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Angry (Post 34585197)

:D :tu::wavey:

finally, Mr Angry arrives, how are you ,have you read all the thread yet MrA ?

why is it that the professional's dont really comment on the legal matters raised in all this MrA ?,even a personal view from a trained professional would be valuable, that really bothers me...

Dephormation 26-06-2008 23:35

I'll leave you with a thought from the email signature of the ICO staff;

"The Information Commissioner's office cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted and amended and you should perform your own virus checks"

:dunce:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2008/07/25.gif https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/06/7.png

roadrunner69 26-06-2008 23:37

The only thing that surprises me about the webwise invitation page is that everyone here seems surprised by it.

I think we all knew exactly what it would say, and indeed some of us said as much several months ago - almost word perfect.

Did you expect anything else from a company who have spyware experts on hand to design it?