Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Reviving old towels in the wash (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706094)

alanbjames 27-02-2018 04:32

Reviving old towels in the wash

Can someone tell me how to revive towels in the wash?

Just over 2 years ago i bought some expensive towels from Dunelm Mill and now they have gone very still and rough on the skin.

I use DAZ washing powder and Comfort Softner which over the years ive found to be the best for me as i have Psoriasis but still they are like sand paper when they dry. Can someone tell me if its posible to revive these?

Thanks?

denphone 27-02-2018 05:04

Re: Reviving old towels in the wash

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35938680)

Just over 2 years ago i bought some expensive towels from Dunelm Mill and now they have gone very still and rough on the skin.

I use DAZ washing powder and Comfort Softner which over the years ive found to be the best for me as i have Psoriasis but still they are like sand paper when they dry. Can someone tell me if its posible to revive these?

Thanks?

The trouble with many towels after a lot of using generally lose their softness Alan and its very hard to get back that softness.

alanbjames 27-02-2018 07:27

I have towels that are older than these which were cheaper and i are still soft.

Ken W 27-02-2018 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35938680)

Thanks?

I Googled and found this:-
Cut back on detergent. Towels feel stiff because they start to build up soapy residue.
Wash in warm water. ..
. Replace fabric softeners with vinegar.Use baking soda. ... Lighten your load. ...
Toss in a tennis ball or dryer ball.
Go easy on the tumble drying

Matthew 27-02-2018 09:00

I don't use any fabric softener with my towels just wash powder and then tumble dry and after 5 years these ones still seem ok. Hottest wash I can do seems to do them ok.

alanbjames 27-02-2018 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35938694)
I Googled and found this:-
Cut back on detergent. Towels feel stiff because they start to build up soapy residue.
Wash in warm water. ..
. Replace fabric softeners with vinegar.Use baking soda. ... Lighten your load. ...
Go easy on the tumble drying

Lighten your load? Toss in a tennis ball?, what have u been watching this morning? lol...

On a more serious note i will try some of the above.
Thanks.

BenMcr 27-02-2018 09:49

My understanding is never use Fabric Softer with towels (or anything similar), or if you do skip it regularly - it stops them absorbing water.

Taf 27-02-2018 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35938712)
My understanding is never use Fabric Softer with towels (or anything similar), or if you do skip it regularly - it stops them absorbing water.

Correct. And not overloading the washing machine, or using too much detergent, helps too.

weenie 27-02-2018 10:25

After washing them put them in a quick wash say 30 minutes or less with just fabric conditioner, then put them on a spin and that should bring back the softness Alan, plus I sometimes also not only put fabric conditioner in the drawer, I also put a cap full directly onto the towels while in the drum.

I find this works a treat :)

Mr_love_monkey 27-02-2018 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35938694)
Lighten your load. ...

ooer!