Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   200M : Hub 3 upgrade offer (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705778)

dgcarter 04-12-2017 21:04

Hub 3 upgrade offer

I've just received an email from VM offering to upgrade my Hub (currently 2ac) for free to a hub 3 because to use their words 'we've noticed your older WiFi router is having a few issues'. Does anyone have any experience of this process. I'm a little wary because my contract is almost up, and I have a suspicion that accepting this upgrade will lock me into a new contract. Unfortunately, althoug the email says Further legal stuff applies and to go to virg9inmedia.com for details, I can find nothing on the website about this.

JordanTheToaster 05-12-2017 02:43

Re: Hub 3 upgrade offer

Avoid the Hub3 like the plague.

dgcarter 05-12-2017 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster (Post 35927502)

Would you care to share your reasoning for this advice?

JordanTheToaster 05-12-2017 13:20

It has latency issues that cause massive ping spikes and generally everything just feels slower than when I was on 200 and a SH2AC.

Aye Up 05-12-2017 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster (Post 35927547)
It has latency issues that cause massive ping spikes and generally everything just feels slower than when I was on 200 and a SH2AC.

And there in lay the problem, subjective. SH3 works fine for me, no ping spikes and generally works great in modem mode.

Even using the routing features, throughput is almost as good as BT's Smart Hub. I have very few issues with the device, its also a way of at least getting you access to the faster speeds, seeing as one would struggle to hit 350Mb on a SH2AC which only has 8 downstream channels.

General Maximus 06-12-2017 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgcarter (Post 35927529)
Would you care to share your reasoning for this advice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster (Post 35927502)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I listened to it as well. I had a tech visit back in August and was offered a shub3 and I flat out refused it because of the alleged latency issues but I ended having to have one anyway when I upgraded to 350mbits a few weeks later.

I am an avid first person shooter and a really poor loser so I would be at the front of the line complaining if the shub3 affected my gaming performance in any way and it really doesn't. Yes my TBB graph sucks and looks awful but it doesn't affect anything I do and the ping I get when I do speed tests is mint.

To provide a balanced argument for you consider this: there are/were a tonne of people in the VM forum moaning their asses off about this saying it was ruining their gaming lives so VM recently released an update purporting to fix this issue. A member of this forum (cableforum) who works for VM and it is a networking god said that the update is a joke and doesn't actually fix the problem, it just fakes the result and makes it looks like the latency issue isn't there. Despite this, now all the moaners on the VM forum are hailing it as a miracle and the amazing difference it has made to their connection when in actual fact it hasn't done anything at all.

I honestly believe the majority people believe there is an issue because they want to and it isn't actually there. Those that do have an issue will probably be suffering from congestion and attributing it to the shub3 because the graph is a problem they can see.

kalleh 06-12-2017 10:53

Hub 3 / hitron does have jitter issues which when in certain areas and equipment setups and congestion of some sort comes into play can make playing games which are latency sensitive (not just FPS games) unplayable.

I have business 350 which is great for throughput.

But I prefer to use my FTTC line for pretty much no jitter and alot lower latency.

I would suggest the OP only goes to the Hub 3 if he wants a higher package than 200mbit.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Just to ask as an avid FPS gamer what games are you playing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35927651)
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I listened to it as well. I had a tech visit back in August and was offered a shub3 and I flat out refused it because of the alleged latency issues but I ended having to have one anyway when I upgraded to 350mbits a few weeks later.

I am an avid first person shooter and a really poor loser so I would be at the front of the line complaining if the shub3 affected my gaming performance in any way and it really doesn't. Yes my TBB graph sucks and looks awful but it doesn't affect anything I do and the ping I get when I do speed tests is mint.

To provide a balanced argument for you consider this: there are/were a tonne of people in the VM forum moaning their asses off about this saying it was ruining their gaming lives so VM recently released an update purporting to fix this issue. A member of this forum (cableforum) who works for VM and it is a networking god said that the update is a joke and doesn't actually fix the problem, it just fakes the result and makes it looks like the latency issue isn't there. Despite this, now all the moaners on the VM forum are hailing it as a miracle and the amazing difference it has made to their connection when in actual fact it hasn't done anything at all.

I honestly believe the majority people believe there is an issue because they want to and it isn't actually there. Those that do have an issue will probably be suffering from congestion and attributing it to the shub3 because the graph is a problem they can see.

JordanTheToaster 06-12-2017 14:40

Rainbow 6 Siege I can easily show the issues a guy that has 38 meg FTTC hardly moves from his typical 16-17ms ping to the Amsterdam Azure server meanwhile I'm sometimes at 24 that spikes to 31 sometimes 34 that spikes to 40.

I compared this to another friend on Comcasts network and even he dose not get more than 2-3ms of difference in his ping times he also rarely gets the latency and packet loss icons that appear in the game while I get them almost every round.

I wouldn't complain if I didn't see it first hand as I was also skeptical of the problems affecting games but after seeing it in R6 Siege I believe it now.

Gobble 07-12-2017 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35927651)

It doesn't fake a result, it's that ICMP traffic was fixed early on (remember this firmware revision is just our version of the 93V firmware released in the US months ago) and from my knowledge, shifting it through the Packet Processor is what fixed it. UDP (at least in DNS) was fixed in a way nobody is sure about yet. I've tested the device on both firmware versions and run TCP tests with ping plotter and despite it not being fully fixed it is better than it was. UDP by design is harder to test and honestly, I can't be arsed anymore with the whole debacle.