Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ : Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707942)

Media Boy UK 05-08-2019 22:58

Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes.

An Virgin Media Community poster has confirmed that Virgin Media UK has axe Sky Sports SD Channels from V Boxes.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...039520#M179966

Has anymore channels been axe since April 3rd?

jfman 05-08-2019 23:39

Re: Virgin Media Community: Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes. Virgin Media C

I wonder if Sky incentivised this in their recent deal to eliminate piracy.

Media Boy UK 05-08-2019 23:43

Re: Virgin Media Community: Virgin Media UK axe Sky Sports on V Boxes. Virgin Media C

Note: Sky Sports HD and Sky Cinema HD was axe on V and V+ Boxes in January 2016.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...o-axe-sky.html

cheekyangus 05-08-2019 23:45

Didn't VM do this with Sky Cinema a year or so ago? Maybe they are just reusing the same strategy.

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36005035)
Note: Sky Sports HD and Sky Cinema HD was axe on V and V+ Boxes in January 2016.

https://mediaboyblog.blogspot.com/20...o-axe-sky.html

Actually I think I was thinking of this instead. Well remembered. :)

Media Boy UK 05-08-2019 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36005036)
Actually I think I was thinking of this instead. Well remembered. :)

Info was on our blog.

jfman 05-08-2019 23:59

It’s fundamentally an upgrade to the encryption system switching off the legacy card based system for these channels. So only the newer “cardless“ system will decrypt them.

cheekyangus 06-08-2019 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36005040)
It’s fundamentally an upgrade to the encryption system switching off the legacy card based system for these channels. So only the newer “cardless“ system will decrypt them.

Makes sense. Thanks jfman. :)

I'd forgotten this was still a problem.

jfman 06-08-2019 20:43

Sometimes easy to forget it's out there with so much piracy based on streaming.

RichardCoulter 07-08-2019 04:37

AFAIK Nagra 3 hasn't been cracked, but I have been offered a pirate service based on sending VM signals over the internet.

Hugh 07-08-2019 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36005144)
AFAIK Nagra 3 hasn't been cracked, but I have been offered a pirate service based on sending VM signals over the internet.

Have you reported this to VM?

RichardCoulter 29-08-2019 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36005146)
Have you reported this to VM?

No.

Hugh 30-08-2019 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36007984)
No.

Surely that means you are aiding and abetting these criminals?

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36007984)
No.

Use your "high level" contacts, if you wish to avoid having to give evidence...

RichardCoulter 30-08-2019 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36008064)

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Use your "high level" contacts, if you wish to avoid having to give evidence...

It's not my style to go around snitching on people, this sort of thing is best left to others ;)

The idea was a non starter anyway as it only covers TV. I would lose various discounts if I cancelled my official TV subscription. This, coupled with the charge for the pirated service, would have actually cost me more. In addition, there's no comeback if the pirated content stops functioning and they refuse to resolve the issue.

jfman 30-08-2019 18:09

If piracy is costing you more you are enquiring to the wrong pirates and/or not getting the best discounted packages you could on other products.

Edit: For the avoidance of doubt I don't condone piracy, it's just obvious that if Richard did he'd be pretty bad at it.

RichardCoulter 30-08-2019 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36008091)
If piracy is costing you more you are enquiring to the wrong pirates and/or not getting the best discounted packages you could on other products.

Edit: For the avoidance of doubt I don't condone piracy, it's just obvious that if Richard did he'd be pretty bad at it.

As I explained, cancelling the TV side to pay the pirates a lesser amount would have been a false economy by the time triple play discounts and other discounts were removed from the official account.

I suppose it might be worth it for some who are paying for Sky Sports etc.