Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Sony Freeview changes, include channel swap (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708148)

cheekyangus 10-09-2019 12:33

Sony Freeview changes, include channel swap

The Sony rebranding of the remaining True channels and Movies4Men is happening today, and RXTVlog on Twitter is reporting Sony Crime on the Manchester multiplex is being replaced by Sony Channel +1 (previously True Entertainment+1). It also swapping channel numbers (i.e. 60 and 61) with Sony Movies+1, which is only on Local multiplexes.

This means Sony Crime Channel is now only on Pay TV services. Will it keep going as is? Will it become a Pay channel? Or will it close entirely?

Media Boy UK 10-09-2019 12:43

Re: Sony Freeview changes, include channel swap

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36009604)
The Sony rebranding of the remaining True channels and Movies4Men is happening today, and RXTVlog on Twitter is reporting Sony Crime on the Manchester multiplex is being replaced by Sony Channel +1 (previously True Entertainment+1). It also swapping channel numbers (i.e. 60 and 61) with Sony Movies+1, which is only on Local multiplexes.

This means Sony Crime Channel is now only on Pay TV services. Will it keep going as is? Will it become a Pay channel? Or will it close entirely?

For all we know maybe Sony is looking for an buyer for Sony Crime Channel's Sky EPG slot.

cheekyangus 10-09-2019 13:13

Re: Sony Freeview changes, include channel swap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36009610)
For all we know maybe Sony is looking for an buyer for Sony Crime Channel's Sky EPG slot.

Maybe. They haven't sold the True Crime slot on Sky yet to my knowledge though. And that's coming up on 3 months. As I've said before, there's a possibility that they are waiting for the rebrand before doing anything as this means they could sell the True business and therefore the Freeview slots. On that platform they are still technically allowed to keep their slots for 12 weeks and that isn't up for another few weeks. Freeview website has True Crime and +1 as off-air, not closed. Any buyer of True business would get TC slots on Freeview and Sky, though Sky can be done be done separately, as you said, as their rules allow channel number trading, unlike Freeview. The True business may also come with Freesat number too as there is still an unfilled EPG gap there of theirs, maybe Freesat has same 12 week rule as Freeview?

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

The buyer of the True business would, of course, close it officially and use it for their own service.

This is what FreeSports did with one of the small shopping channels on Freeview to get a better channel number. Bought it and closed it.