Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Hugh 02-11-2021 22:54

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Dune - 9/10

Just got back from the Vue IMAX - loved the film, thought it got the pace and mixture of action versus exposition.

The sound in the IMAX was amazing - so glad I didn’t wait to see it on TV; no way would the experience have been anywhere near as good.

General Maximus 05-11-2021 17:46

Eternals: 5/10

Very forgettable characters with a very insignificant storyline and very much a Marvel B movie. All the way through I was thinking "please tell me this is a standalone movie in the MCU" and then at the end it says "Eternals will be back" :doh: Without dissecting every aspect of the movie the best way to describe it is you come away feeling like you have watched a DC movie. It is so bad it has replaced Ragnarok as my least favourite Marvel film.

Chris 05-11-2021 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36100222)
Eternals: 5/10

Very forgettable characters with a very insignificant storyline and very much a Marvel B movie. All the way through I was thinking "please tell me this is a standalone movie in the MCU" and then at the end it says "Eternals will be back" :doh: Without dissecting every aspect of the movie the best way to describe it is you come away feeling like you have watched a DC movie. It is so bad it has replaced Ragnarok as my least favourite Marvel film.

If it’s on a par with Ragnarok I’m going to love it :D

Paul 06-11-2021 00:53

Dune - 5/10
Standing ovation ?? No chance. More like a slow handclap.
It was mostly just slow & confusing, and those constant visions started to get irritating.
Sure, it was spectacular in places, and a few bits of excitement crept in, but really, not much. :sleep:

I got the feeling this was another film where you needed to know the story beforehand to have any chance of understanding half of it.
It was 2.5 hours long, and yet it felt like very little really happened, in fact just as it seemed progress was going to be made, it stopped. :doh:

I hope Eternals is better next week (GM dislikes it, so its looking good ;))

General Maximus 06-11-2021 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36100245)
If it’s on a par with Ragnarok I’m going to love it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36100259)
I hope Eternals is better next week (GM dislikes it, so its looking good ;))

you can laugh now but you won't be after you have seen it :p: Food for thought for you when watching it; think about Shang Chi and his movement and how he handled the rings and then watch Angelina Jolie.

Stephen 06-11-2021 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36100272)
you can laugh now but you won't be after you have seen it :p: Food for thought for you when watching it; think about Shang Chi and his movement and how he handled the rings and then watch Angelina Jolie.

I quite enjoyed it. Not brilliant by any means.

Also Ragnarok was by far one of the best.

Stephen 08-11-2021 12:47

Got invited to a press screening of Ghostbusters Afterlife this morning.

It was amazing. 9/10

General Maximus 08-11-2021 13:47

Sweet. I have got my ticket booked for 2 weeks today.

Stephen 08-11-2021 13:54

I've already bought tickets for the 18th and 19th to see it again.

I'm going on the 18th to Braehead with a load of other Ghostbusters from Glasgow in full costume for the opening day. We were asked by the ccinema. So that will be great.

General Maximus 08-11-2021 14:08

Fantastic, I love that kind of stuff. I remember when Star Wars Ep 7 came out and everyone dressed up. I had a photo on my phone of two people who dressed up as Han Solo and Jabba the Hutt but I can't flipping find it. They looked awesome.

Jaymoss 09-11-2021 18:18

No Time to Die absolutely brilliant loved the little links to OHMSS too 10/10

Paul 09-11-2021 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36100272)
you can laugh now but you won't be after you have seen it :p:

Well Im booked for Thursday evening, so we'll see. :)

General Maximus 14-11-2021 18:52

Red Notice: 4/10

I was really looking forward to this but unfortunately it under delivers. It is an action comedy which leans more heavily towards the comedy. It feels as if the entire script was designed so that a joke or barb could be incorporated into every sentence and it feels forced throughout the entire film. There was however one scene at the end of the film with Ed Sheeran in which had me in stitches. I like The Rock, I love Ryan Reynolds however the only thing which kept me going and made the film worth while was Gal Gadot. If she wasn't in it I would have turned it off very early on.

Stephen 14-11-2021 20:09

I loved Red Notice. As it was Ryan Reynolds I was expecting a large number of gags and riffs. He has become Deadpool in real life.

Chris 14-11-2021 23:18

Eternals: 7/10.

Definitely a gentler pace than most MCU films, mostly due to the flashbacks. But those are so well done it’s fine by me. It was all worth it to hear the Epic of Gilgamesh spoken in Akkadian. :D

Spoiler: 
I love the way it starts to tie together things we’ve seen in earlier films; the idea that you can put a celestial to sleep is a nice callback to Guardians vol.2. That Ego himself is clearly so feeble compared even to the infant Tiamut suggests there’s more to his origins than we know so far.

I appreciated the fact that (unlike Shang Chi) it didn’t connect itself to the Avengers, even in the Coda. It was nice to feel we were exploring a completely new part of the MCU.

I think they could have afforded to pick up the pace a little. Much as I enjoyed it, the flashback material was not all essential. But that doesn’t make it a bad film, or even a ‘meh’ film. It has the same characteristic lightness of touch and humour that always sets the MCU apart from DC.