Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

General Maximus 02-09-2021 22:33

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Dont forget Shang Chi is out tomorrow.

General Maximus 03-09-2021 15:29

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: 9/10

I know a lot of people had misgivings about this film and the trailer didn't exactly make you jump for joy. You'll be pleased to know that it far exceeds expectations and is really really good. I think it is very much a case of they didn't want to give too much away. It ticks every box and exudes the quality and richness which we have come to expect from a Marvel film. In addition to an action packed visual effects spectacle they have done a cracking job with establishing a new character and building his history and back story to the point that you feel like you know him very well by the end of the film. There are some well timed funny moments but the thing which makes the film so special is its blend with the new and the old. It is very much a Chinese film full of culture, mythology, martial arts and some absolutely beautiful choreography with a great soundtrack
Marvel made a big deal about Black Widow, the new characters and the family dynamic and tbh I felt like it was a lot of hot air because it didn't do anything for me. I like the relationship with the sister but the mum, dad and everyone else were just people in the picture. In contrast, this film is full of fully fleshed out deep characters who feel like they mean something and you are completely engrossed in the story and every scene. I can't wait to see more of Shang Chi and especially how he integrates into the MCU and interacts with the other Avengers.

There are two post credit scenes, one in the middle and one right at the end and it goes without saying that both are worth watching.

If you enjoy your Marvel films you'll be doing yourself a grave disservice if you don't go and watch this at the cinema. It is one of those films that just won't be the same either visually or auditory on a tv.

Chris 03-09-2021 15:58

Likely to be seeing it on Sunday afternoon. Without spoiling the plot, though, please tell me: what did this film do to your realism factor?

General Maximus 03-09-2021 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36091988)
what did this film do to your realism factor?

I am glad you asked because I did want to mentioned it and resisted the temptation. The reason I enjoyed the film so much is because so much care and attention to detail went into every aspect of it that at no point during the film did anything stand out and ruin it for me to the extent that I went "hang on, that doesn't make sense/wouldn't happen" etc. I can't stand Awkwafina and she did my head in from the beginning and I was going to call her the Jar Jar Binks of the MCU but she redeemed herself at the end. In all honestly (and seperate from the film ;) ) the second post credit scene did hit my realism factor but I am sure they'll justify it in the next movie and do some flashbacks to explain it all so I am okay with it atm.

Stephen 04-09-2021 00:00

Shang-Chi 8/10

As mentioned above, stunning film mixing martial arts and Chinese mythology into the MCU.

Story was great and the back story to the characters was so well done. Ties in brilliantly to what will be coming next.

Also a surprising return from a preciously seen character that had some good laughs.

Mid credit and post credit scenes are well worth sticking around for.

Chris 05-09-2021 19:38

Shang Chi …. Mind blown. Nods, cameos and perfectly timed comic relief from an entirely appropriate but totally unexpected source. Solid story, well performed and as always with the MCU you are never in any doubt that the broader narrative is also moving forwards and the present instalment has been crafted to respect it, fit into it but also to add to it in new ways. Kevin Fiege and the team make it look easy, and it seems the only reason DC continues making films is to remind us that it isn’t.

I’m really not sure what more I could have wanted from this film, so based on a first cinema viewing I’m giving it 10/10. I might only take a mark off if on repeated viewings I find it falling down somewhere technical and not immediately obvious. But that’s not very likely.

General Maximus 05-09-2021 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36092184)
I might only take a mark off if on repeated viewings I find it falling down somewhere technical and not immediately obvious.

did you spot the bamboo scaffolding ;) That was the only thing which tweaked my realism factor but I didn't say anything in case they do actually use bamboo for scaffolding in China in which case it would very much be realistic and in keeping with the setting.

Chris 05-09-2021 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36092185)
did you spot the bamboo scaffolding ;) That was the only thing which tweaked my realism factor but I didn't say anything in case they do actually use bamboo for scaffolding in China in which case it would very much be realistic and in keeping with the setting.

I did, and you should allow it to further engorge your realism factor - bamboo scaffolding is still widely used in that part of the world, particularly Hong Kong, which is famous for it, but also across the bay in Macau where that sequence is set.

Hugh 05-09-2021 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36092185)

Bamboo scaffolding was still being used in India late 90s and early 2010s - I saw it being used in Mumbai and Bhopal.

Paul 06-09-2021 01:09

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, 8/10.

Good action, good story, good comedy.
Great to be back at the cinema for another excellent Marvel film.

:)

Jaymoss 12-09-2021 00:17

Kate 6 / 10 bloodiest most violent film I have seen in a good while

alanbjames 12-09-2021 00:42

I watched Murder on the Orient Express with Kenneth Branagh as Hercules Poirot and I didn't think things could get worse second time around but I was wrong.

This film is awful, it shows Poirot as some sort of Hench man where he never was at all.

Damien 03-10-2021 15:58

Bond - No Time To Die

8/10

Won't post spoilers but a decent Bond film. The 'new 007' Lashana Lynch's Nomi is really good and it's a shame that it's likely Bond is going for a reboot when they recast him because she would be an excellent recurring character.

Jaymoss 03-10-2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36095689)
Bond - No Time To Die

8/10

Won't post spoilers but a decent Bond film. The 'new 007' Lashana Lynch's Nomi is really good and it's a shame that it's likely Bond is going for a reboot when they recast him because she would be an excellent recurring character.

Is it common knowledge she is 007? I had thought she was gonna be but not read it anywhere so you may have posted a spoiler hahaha

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

A quick google says it was haha

Damien 03-10-2021 16:09

Yeah it was already out there.