Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

SnoopZ 10-07-2021 01:37

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36085751)
Black Widow and it is so good 9 / 10 this is what a Janet Bond 008 movie should look like

Just finished watching this and I would score similar, post credits need to be watched though.

Chris 10-07-2021 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36085805)
Just finished watching this and I would score similar, post credits need to be watched though.

The coda proves Marvel is quite serious about its Disney+ TV shows properly influencing MCU continuity.

Damien 11-07-2021 19:07

Watched it today. 8/10. Very fun. Especially liked the credits sequence to a cover of Smells like Teen Spirit.

I always find it interesting on these smaller stakes solo films how they work around the fact the hero needs to complete the task themselves rather than call in Thor, Captain America and so on to just end it easily and quickly.

General Maximus 11-07-2021 19:22

Good point. It is the first solo movie we have had in a long time where characters from the other movies haven't crossed over. I would like to think it is due to Scarlett Johansson's pull with the audience but I think Marvel are trying to start phase 4 with a clean slate and give themselves some room to introduce new characters (e.g. her sister) who can grow and feature in future movies.

Jaymoss 11-07-2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36085921)
Watched it today. 8/10. Very fun. Especially liked the credits sequence to a cover of Smells like Teen Spirit.

I always find it interesting on these smaller stakes solo films how they work around the fact the hero needs to complete the task themselves rather than call in Thor, Captain America and so on to just end it easily and quickly.

Spoiler: 
She could not as you well know due to the fact this is set right after Civil War and half of them hate the other half and her side are all running away due the Sokovia accord

This ones plot made it easier

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

:bigcry:I will never get over what they did to her in Endgame:bigcry::bigcry:

Pierre 13-07-2021 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36085658)
So are we saying 'Tomorrow War' and 'Infinite' are a good watch?

Tomorrow war was ok.

I watched a movie called Captive State the other day, which I enjoyed very much. Think Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but with an alien invasion back story.

Also just watched Nobody, which is a right hoot, very much in the John Wick vein.

And also just watched Black Widow, which was just unnecessary.

General Maximus 13-07-2021 02:44

I really enjoyed Captive State, one of those rare films where it exceeded expectations. I was quite disappointed with Nobody, I would class it as a children's John Wick.

Jaymoss 14-07-2021 19:53

Gunpowder Milkshake 8/10 female John Wick with humour, really liked it

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36086101)
I really enjoyed Captive State, one of those rare films where it exceeded expectations.

watched this and it was just ok 6/10 just goes to show how we are all different

pip08456 14-07-2021 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36086101)
I really enjoyed Captive State, one of those rare films where it exceeded expectations. I was quite disappointed with Nobody, I would class it as a children's John Wick.

I too was disappointed with Nobody. It didn't bring what the trailer appeared to promise.

Paul 14-07-2021 23:32

Black Widow 7/10

Not exactly your typical marvel movie, but a good action movie and funny at times.

Jimmy-J 15-07-2021 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36086259)
Gunpowder Milkshake 8/10 female John Wick with humour, really liked it

Very entertaining, lots of influences from the director in there, such as Sergio Leone (spaghetti westerns) including the music, very Ennio Morricone. 8/10 from me.

Damien 19-07-2021 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36085923)
Good point. It is the first solo movie we have had in a long time where characters from the other movies haven't crossed over. I would like to think it is due to Scarlett Johansson's pull with the audience but I think Marvel are trying to start phase 4 with a clean slate and give themselves some room to introduce new characters (e.g. her sister) who can grow and feature in future movies.

I rewatched it and I enjoyed it more.

Someone earlier said it's what a female James Bond should be and rewatching that's exactly what this film is. The writers and directors have clearly been inspired by Bond films. There is the dramatic start, the long opening credits (which I don't think Marvel usually do?), Black Widow has someone who gets her gadgets (I.E Q), the globe trotting spy structure and Ray Winstone is channelling a lot of Bond villain energy complete with a powerful henchman. They even have a clip of Moonraker in the film in case anyone thought these homages weren't intentional!

Also Florence Pugh is excellent as she is in most films so it's good she'll be part of the MCU in future.

Jaymoss 19-07-2021 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36086776)

Someone earlier said it's what a female James Bond should be and rewatching that's exactly what this film is. The writers and directors have clearly been inspired by Bond films. There is the dramatic start, the long opening credits (which I don't think Marvel usually do?), Black Widow has someone who gets her gadgets (I.E Q), the globe trotting spy structure and Ray Winstone is channelling a lot of Bond villain energy complete with a powerful henchman. They even have a clip of Moonraker in the film in case anyone thought these homages weren't intentional!

Also Florence Pugh is excellent as she is in most films so it's good she'll be part of the MCU in future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36085751)
Black Widow and it is so good 9 / 10 this is what a Janet Bond 008 movie should look like

Glad I was not the only one caught that haha

Chris 19-07-2021 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36086776)

The Moonraker clip was most certainly a hat-tip towards the Bond franchise, no doubt chosen as it also prefigures the location of the Red Room. There were a couple of other places where I recall thinking that they had inserted an homage or two, maybe a line in the music or dialogue, but I’ll have to see it again to remember. IIRC it should become free to regular Disney subscribers in 3-4 months.

Damien 19-07-2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36086778)
The Moonraker clip was most certainly a hat-tip towards the Bond franchise, no doubt chosen as it also prefigures the location of the Red Room. There were a couple of other places where I recall thinking that they had inserted an homage or two, maybe a line in the music or dialogue, but I’ll have to see it again to remember. IIRC it should become free to regular Disney subscribers in 3-4 months.

I think it works in a lot of Bond tropes. Outside of the usual Marvel formula I wouldn't be surprised if Bond was the main other influence on it.