Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Damien 11-07-2017 21:10

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Baby Driver - 9 / 10 : Very fun film set to music
My Life as Courgette - 9/10 : Nice little animated film, worth catching if you can
Spiderman 8/10 : One of the better superhero films

Damien 22-07-2017 14:54

Dunkirk 9/10 - great, tense, film. One of those you need to see in a cinema

General Maximus 22-07-2017 16:25

I agree that you need to see it in the cinema but I would only give it 6.5/10. I was expecting it to be like Private Ryan with a story, characters and dialogue however it was more like Gravity. I really enjoyed Gravity but I knew what to expect.

I am sure this is going to be nominated for a few Oscars and technically it did a brilliant job of portraying what happened and the sound effects were excellent, I felt like I was really there. I was expecting it to be more of an entertaining war film like Black Hawk Down (also based on a true story) but it felt more like a National Geographic special.

Damien 22-07-2017 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35908778)
I agree that you need to see it in the cinema but I would only give it 6.5/10. I was expecting it to be like Private Ryan with a story, characters and dialogue however it was more like Gravity. I really enjoyed Gravity but I knew what to expect.

I am sure this is going to be nominated for a few Oscars and technically it did a brilliant job of portraying what happened and the sound effects were excellent, I felt like I was really there. I was expecting it to be more of an entertaining war film like Black Hawk Down (also based on a true story) but it felt more like a National Geographic special.

I can see that. I think if you were expecting a story-driven film then this would surprise you. It is a film driven by picture and sound rather than dialog.

The thing about seeing it in the cinema is that it's perfect for that medium. It wouldn't work on television as well as it does with large screens a big sound systems. I also love that this and other films such as Mad Max, Gravity and Baby Driver to a less extent are taking advantage of cinema more.

This is the kind of film Michael Bay would like to do but lacks the ability. It's how you do a specular film.

adzii_nufc 22-07-2017 21:18

Transformers: The Last Knight. 1/10

Realised I just ranted last time and didn't actually rate. As before just an absolute pile of crap. Clearly just aimed at the Chinese market.

I worry Pacific Rim 2 will now be pushed with the same goal.

admars 22-07-2017 21:28

T2: Trainspotting 8/10. It would be fair to say it's an unnecessary sequel, but, we really enjoyed it, and again every Begbie scene has you on the edge of your seat worried about what he'll do :)

It's not quite as good as the first one, but that being the iconic film it is, it would be hard to live up to that, but it didn't disappoint.

Hugh 27-07-2017 13:56

Dunkirk 9/10.

If you can, see it in IMAX - the sound, especially in the opening sequence, is amazing.

Damien 27-07-2017 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35909468)
Dunkirk 9/10.

If you can, see it in IMAX - the sound, especially in the opening sequence, is amazing.

Agreed. I saw it in 15/70mm IMAX at the BFI and it was amazing, so amazing I booked to go again next week. The water sweeps under you.

You're right about the sound too, the opening scene shocks you and then it's unrelenting until the end.

admars 28-07-2017 22:08

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10 , it's very silly, but exciting, and made us laugh, perfect switch of brain and enjoy for a Friday night :)

General Maximus 28-07-2017 22:14

First or second one?

Paul 28-07-2017 22:45

The Mechanic 1 & 2 - good films if you like that kind of action film. 7/10.

dilli-theclaw 28-07-2017 23:37

Spider-Man homecoming.

It was ok I guess but nothing special.

admars 29-07-2017 07:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35909703)
First or second one?

First one, we didn't get round to seeing it at cinema, then I recorded it when it on BBC, probably when 2nd was about to be cinema. 2nd one comes out to buy in Sep, prob get round to that when it's on BBC in another 3 years, when the 3rd film comes out at cinema ;)

General Maximus 29-07-2017 16:00

if you really enjoy them you really need to make a point of seeing them at the cinema. Don't wait till the second one comes out on tv because it will be too late. Avengers: Infinity Wars is coming out next year and the Guardians of the Galaxy are in it. You need to watch the second one so you can go and see Infinity Wars at the cinema, it is going to be amazing. If you haven't done so already, you to need the watch Iron Man films, Captain Americas, Thors and Avengers' (preferably in the order the were released).

admars 29-07-2017 17:26

sadly don't have the time or money to go to the cinema like we used to :(