Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   350M : When will we see another speed upgrade? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706983)

Westyfield2 08-11-2018 12:42

Re: When will we see another speed upgrade?

I wonder at what point they'll differentiate between Coax cable areas and Project Lightning FTTP areas and bin all the RFoG converters?

Skie 09-11-2018 19:32

Yeah, i punt a fair amount of data up to Azure each night (PC backups) so having upload is more priority for me. The download is generally fast enough for everything except for games, and half the time the speeds you get from PSN/XBL are limited by their networks, not VM's.

rtho782 10-11-2018 08:17

For downloads from steam, VM are definitely the limiting factor.

I'd definitely love more upload though. It's awful for backups and remote streaming right now.

SnoopZ 10-11-2018 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35969878)
Yeah, i punt a fair amount of data up to Azure each night (PC backups) so having upload is more priority for me. The download is generally fast enough for everything except for games, and half the time the speeds you get from PSN/XBL are limited by their networks, not VM's.

On my PS4 i get around 170mbit wired on a 200mbit VM connection and 35mbit wireless from 12foot away, based on the PS4s short network speed test.

rtho782 10-11-2018 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35969917)
On my PS4 i get around 170mbit wired on a 200mbit VM connection and 35mbit wireless from 12foot away, based on the PS4s short network speed test.

Steam and newsgroups give me 385mbit or so over cable, and steam on my laptop does similar over wireless, but then I'm only using the hub 3.0 in modem mode and have ubiquiti access points for WiFi.

It's entirely possible to use more speed, even on wireless.

roughbeast 10-11-2018 17:58

In Coventry, where Vodaphone have started installing their FTTP network there is a driver for Virgin and others to increase headline speeds. Vodaphone will be offering 1Gb up and down for £50 a month to residential customers. Although VM have already installed FTTP across swathes of south Coventry, it is pegged back to 350Mb. Surely VM will have to do something about this.

General Maximus 10-11-2018 18:11

Ya but i cant see it any time soon. I am expecting 500 or 600mbits at the end of next year.

Sephiroth 10-11-2018 20:33

There is no market pressure for faster speeds. When there is, mon General's expectation will be fulfilled.

For upstream, they have to ensure really clean channels, and that's the limiting factor at the moment, imo.

General Maximus 10-11-2018 20:44

Buuuut, will that condition/limitation still apply. I havent read up on the difference between docsis 3 and 3.1 but i can remember saying channels wont exist as we currently know it. I am assuming the basics still apply with regards to frequencies and noise etc.

I am expecting massive jumps in tiers though once they start rolling 3.1 out which should be next year.

Sephiroth 10-11-2018 20:53

Have a read, mon General:

https://volpefirm.com/docsis-3-1-plant/

Let us know what you think about channels.

But, as I said before, there is no competitive pressure in the UK to go to DOCSIS 3.1.

General Maximus 10-11-2018 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35970020)
there is no competitive pressure in the UK to go to DOCSIS 3.1.

That may be so but it is the right thing to do to move technology forward

Sephiroth 16-11-2018 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35970030)
That may be so but it is the right thing to do to move technology forward

Technology moving forward doesn't mean the public have to get it until the commercial pressures force VM to do it. They've got the technology - it's moved forward, mon General.