Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   500M : 500mb Question (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707587)

Kushan 05-05-2019 22:45

Re: 500mb Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993829)
Why are you paying that much? The VIP package is £129.

Agreed, seems very overpriced there.

Anyway, seeing lots of complaints about the 500 only being available on V.VIP - but I can see why Virgin are doing it. Think about how Virgin generates revenue - they don't just count the number of customers, they count the number of services ("Revenue Generating Units") each customer takes up. By putting a premium product on their top-tier VVIP package, it's encouraging those that really want it to pick up more RGU's along the way.

Come their next financial results, they'll be able to report that the average RGU's taken up has gone from something like 2.3 to 2.5 or whatever.

I'm not saying I like it or agree with it, but ultimately Virgin is trying to keep its profits up in a land where more and more people are dropping RGU's in favour of just broadband.

mike86 05-05-2019 22:51

If that's true, Kushan, why did they give 350Mb the upload uplift? Surely they could have driven more sales of V.VIP if it exclusively had the higher upload? That's what most people seem to have wanted anyway.

I really can't see the logic in what they're doing. I don't want or need all the extras V.VIP comes with apart from the 500Mb. Instead of getting some extra money from me, they're getting none.

General Maximus 05-05-2019 23:06

It's all about advertising and headline speeds. 500mbits sounds stupidly fast and we can moan about how they are doing it with vvip but you wait until docsis 3.1 gets rolled out. They are going to want to do something special for that and you can guarantee that will launch as 1gbit on a new exclusive package. People will go for it just so they can say they have got a gigabit connection. 100mbits up sounds nice as well.

Kushan 05-05-2019 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike86 (Post 35993834)
If that's true, Kushan, why did they give 350Mb the upload uplift? Surely they could have driven more sales of V.VIP if it exclusively had the higher upload? That's what most people seem to have wanted anyway.

I really can't see the logic in what they're doing. I don't want or need all the extras V.VIP comes with apart from the 500Mb. Instead of getting some extra money from me, they're getting none.

I suspect the upload speed uplift is a separate thing and part of a larger plan going back years to get 10:1 speeds. What do I know, though.

One thing I am pretty sure about though - 500Mbit is hefty on the network without 3.1 to keep it going. I suspect Virgin are deliberately keeping it in the premium packages to limit uptake for that reason as well.

It'll eventually come to lower tiers, I have no doubt.

SnoopZ 05-05-2019 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35993806)
I pay £163.63 for Full House TV, Vivid 200 BB, & Talk more Anytime for Phone.

So will I get this?

You're paying far too much.

trublue 06-05-2019 08:54

Still awaiting the 35mbs upload boost in the Blackburn area:(

SnoopZ 06-05-2019 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by trublue (Post 35993849)
Still awaiting the 35mbs upload boost in the Blackburn area:(

I assume you have done the obvious and rebooted the modem?

trublue 06-05-2019 13:07

Quote:

=SnoopZ;35993875]I assume you have done the obvious and rebooted the modem?
Yes,I did it at the weekend,and just now as well to be sure.

roughbeast 07-05-2019 13:13

Finally, having run the gauntlet of bots, who insisted that V.VIP wasn't available in my street, I have been upgraded. I had to Remain on my current tariff, but that's ok. I am told that CS will give me a loyalty discount.

Be patient. Be polite. Be insistent. Be prepared to call multiple times to get an operative who has initiative. Make sure you are forwarded to the department that actually actions the new package.

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2019/05/5.png

alwaysabear 07-05-2019 18:30

Quote:

So will I get this?

Wow you seem to be paying way to much. I have what you have with Sky premium channels for £85.75 plus line rental which I pay in advance.
I think you need to make a phone call!

SnoopZ 07-05-2019 19:19

Quote:

So will I get this?

Surely you have more services than that I have exactly what you listed and only pay £76 and after 12 months it'll go up to £90 odd which is the normal price.

I am guessing you have premium channels too but you're still paying far to much.

Call the thinking of leaving department and watch your price drop.

roughbeast 08-05-2019 15:29

Blimey! Massive edit to my earlier comment today.

CS, onshore department, just gave me a call back and said that my new service had been all set up wrongly by offshore operatives and that they needed to rebuild it and that I didn't need a loyalty discount to match the V.VIP entry price.

The upshot of this is that I am now on V.VIP 500Mb, with limitless SIM etc for £99.00 + some phone call enhancements, all for £105 pm.!! That's a saving of about £60 pm for me. The operative also suggested I ring back in 11 months, just before the £99.00 ends, to see what can be done to keep costs down. Duly noted in my diary.

The key thing is to get through to the newly set up onshore call centres where operatives are thoroughly trained in every aspect and can do 90% of all functions to do with TV, mobile, broadband and landline. They only pass you elsewhere 10% of the time. To get through to them I went for the billing option then to the option where you want to speak to a human. (08.00 - 21.00 only) Other options may work. DO NOT try to get your new package arranged offshore! The inconsistency of training and honesty levels is deplorable!

Having been more than satisfied by today's experience I did leave comments about the frustration and confusion, caused by the obstructive and robotic behaviour of some of the offshore centres and operatives. I was thanked for this and a complaint case is being generated.

Tricky Trevor 08-05-2019 16:43

Thanks for your post roughbeast

After speaking to 6 people last Friday,I was told that someone will phone me on Thursday from the newly formed V.VIP department to complete the upgrade. Those that I spoke to from Team India were clueless so I might get a sensible conversation tomorrow.

One of the things mentioned on Friday was that someone needs me to consent to is the sim card because apparantly I have reached my quota. This is strange because there is only my wife and myself on my mobile account and we still have a year to go on our contracts.

Another thing I was told was that on the 2x V6 offer is that I can't have one. We currently have a V6 and a very slow Tivo so I intend to dig my heels in over this and insist on recieving a V6 to replace the Tivo.

I wonder if I will recieve the Sky channels and the 500 mbit upgrade at the same time or when I activate the V6 (if they send one) after Ive set it up on quick start?

Watch this space

roughbeast 08-05-2019 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 35994155)
Thanks for your post roughbeast

After speaking to 6 people last Friday,I was told that someone will phone me on Thursday from the newly formed V.VIP department to complete the upgrade. Those that I spoke to from Team India were clueless so I might get a sensible conversation tomorrow.

One of the things mentioned on Friday was that someone needs me to consent to is the sim card because apparantly I have reached my quota. This is strange because there is only my wife and myself on my mobile account and we still have a year to go on our contracts.

Another thing I was told was that on the 2x V6 offer is that I can't have one. We currently have a V6 and a very slow Tivo so I intend to dig my heels in over this and insist on recieving a V6 to replace the Tivo.

I wonder if I will recieve the Sky channels and the 500 mbit upgrade at the same time or when I activate the V6 (if they send one) after Ive set it up on quick start?

Watch this space

It all happens at the same time. I was asked to reboot my SH3 and my V6 boxes straight away, to pick up the new config. If you get on the V.VIP package you will have to wait for the second V6 box, but your services will be up straight away as soon a they have flicked the switch at their end.

To avoid problems try to get on a UK call centre if you can. They'll sort out your SIM properly at the same time.

Tricky Trevor 11-05-2019 08:08

As expected,I didnt recieve the call back that they promised on Thursday so as I got home from work at 3pm on Friday I thought I'd better ring them to increase the chances of getting through to a UK call centre.

Yet again,I got through to Team India who when I asked for the dedicated V.VIP department put me through to another Team India colleague who then put me throught to yet another Team India colleague.

I was impressed with the third person who sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He took me through everything and it was seemless.

Last Friday,I was told that I wouldnt be getting another V6 but that wasn't true at all. My second box will arrive on Tuesday which happens to be my day off. He was going to send someone to install it but I will do it myself as it's easy enough. He then told me it will be delivered by Yodel but I asked for collect + to save a fiver but was suprised to be told it will be free delivery. I didn't need the wifi boosters as I recieved some 3 weeks ago through the connect app. Ive also having a talk international add on for £2 a month for my wife to call her family on Indonesia.

Another thing that suprised me was that the Sky channels came on within 15 minutes and my 500 mbits was upgraded straight away when I thought I would have to wait for Tuesday for it all to be activated. I had another suprise this morning in an email from Virgin that stated that there will be no activation fee.

Overall it was a good quick experience unlike the previous Friday. I forgot to ask what I should do with the old Tivo. I doubt that Virgin will collect it.
So all this for just £10 a month more than I have been paying,