Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Tivo V6 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706164)

Ditsum43 17-03-2018 13:25

Tivo V6

I have asked this question before but always the optimist!

Does anyone know whether Virgin will ever allow other ISPs to connect to it's V6 Box and if so when?

I'm keen to have the V6 so that I can ditch Sky but I don't want Virgin broadband!

Any comments will be much appreciated.

Mr K 17-03-2018 13:31

Re: Tivo V6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditsum43 (Post 35940984)

Does anyone know whether Virgin will ever allow other ISPs to connect to it's V6 Box and if so when?

I'm keen to have the V6 so that I can ditch Sky but I don't want Virgin broadband!

Broadband is the best thing about VM ! Wasn't aware it had to be VM connection for the V6. Might be true, I use mine in Modem mode, own router, no issues.

jb66 17-03-2018 14:58

There is no plans ever to allow a v6 use without a virgin connection and is unlikely to happen also

spiderplant 17-03-2018 15:27

Quote:

You can still get the older TiVos, which don't need a separate broadband connection.

OLD BOY 17-03-2018 20:11

Quote:

What's the problem with Virgin broadband? We've got people with no superfast broadband in a nearby village and they would kill to get Virgin broadband.

I have Virgin's broadband on wi-fi with my V6, and even with multiple tablets and i-phones on the go at the same time when the family are all here, it works fine and has never let me down (yet:erm:)!

spiderplant 17-03-2018 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35941028)
We've got people with no superfast broadband in a nearby village

And people on this forum! I wouldn't kill for it, though.

Raider999 17-03-2018 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35941028)
What's the problem with Virgin broadband? We've got people with no superfast broadband in a nearby village and they would kill to get Virgin broadband.

I have Virgin's broadband on wi-fi with my V6, and even with multiple tablets and i-phones on the go at the same time when the family are all here, it works fine and has never let me down (yet:erm:)!

Unless it has changed, virgin provide broadband through cable not by piggy-backing on BT wires as others do.

Therefore villages are not on Virgins radar - they are only interested in more densely populated areas.

OLD BOY 18-03-2018 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35941051)
Unless it has changed, virgin provide broadband through cable not by piggy-backing on BT wires as others do.

Therefore villages are not on Virgins radar - they are only interested in more densely populated areas.

I don't disagree with you. I was merely making the point that it was difficult to understand why anyone would not want Virgin broadband, which has given me enough umph to power two V6 boxes, four tablets and six mobile phones all at the same time with no speed reductions.

muppetman11 18-03-2018 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35941060)
I don't disagree with you. I was merely making the point that it was difficult to understand why anyone would not want Virgin broadband, which has given me enough umph to power two V6 boxes, four tablets and six mobile phones all at the same time with no speed reductions.

How can you be using the internet on all those devices and have no speed reduction.:confused:

OLD BOY 18-03-2018 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35941073)
How can you be using the internet on all those devices and have no speed reduction.:confused:

I meant no impact on performance of our devices.

fox35 22-03-2018 14:41

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, But with VMs CEO Tom Mockridge stating last week in Dublin that VM intends to update the V6 Box UI with the Horizon interface, http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bau...-report/418549 but still using Tivo software, How would this work? Assuming he means Liberty Global's own Horizon being rolled out onto the V6 Boxes, similar to VM Ireland but still using Tivos technology? Any ideas?

muppetman11 22-03-2018 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 35941509)
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, But with VMs CEO Tom Mockridge stating last week in Dublin that VM intends to update the V6 Box UI with the Horizon interface, http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bau...-report/418549 but still using Tivo software, How would this work? Assuming he means Liberty Global's own Horizon being rolled out onto the V6 Boxes, similar to VM Ireland but still using Tivos technology? Any ideas?

I think the clue is here in the link you posted.
Quote:

Last fall, TiVo announced it had renewed and extended its products agreement with Liberty Global, which included a multi-year extension for the MSO’s use of TiVo’s intellectual property and patent portfolio

fox35 22-03-2018 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35941510)
I think the clue is here in the link you posted.

Thanks, but that's what I don't understand. Why update to Horizon when they've agreed a further deal with Tivo? Will it be some kind of Horizon/Tivo hybrid?

muppetman11 22-03-2018 15:11

It sounds like an Horizon UI with the ability to use some of Tivos features for instance say Wishlists etc.