Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705858)

RichardCoulter 07-05-2018 22:06

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Yes thanks, as it confirms that John Malone has the ability to win any vote as to whether Discovery should make Quest HD available on his wholly owned Virgin Media platform.

I think that he'll want to do this as it would help to make his own platform more attractive to potential customers, especially as Quest have now won the rights to the English Football League.

I've seen some people say that the Freeview SD version of Quest leaves a lot to be desired and it's not available at all to some Freeview customers.

I haven't heard any more about Quest HD since Discovery said that they were "working on it".

love Virgin2013 08-05-2018 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35946175)
Yes thanks, as it confirms that John Malone has the ability to win any vote as to whether Discovery should make Quest HD available on his wholly owned Virgin Media platform.

I think that he'll want to do this as it would help to make his own platform more attractive to potential customers, especially as Quest have now won the rights to the English Football League.

I've seen some people say that the Freeview SD version of Quest leaves a lot to be desired and it's not available at all to some Freeview customers.

I haven't heard any more about Quest HD since Discovery said that they were "working on it".

Quest have only won the rights to highlights which C5 have been showing this season.

RichardCoulter 08-05-2018 06:35

Sorry, yes, I should have made that clearer.

1andrew1 08-05-2018 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35946175)

There won't be a vote on this, it's a case of negotiation.

OLD BOY 08-05-2018 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35946211)
There won't be a vote on this, it's a case of negotiation.

I agree. I don't think Malone would be involved in this level of operational detail anyway.

RichardCoulter 08-05-2018 16:05

I would think that the two entities would negotiate as separate unconnected companies, but if this didn't obtain a positive result, someone higher up could influence the outcome.

It reminds me of the time when VM sold off some channels that they held a 50% stake in, just prior to this all of the ones missing from the portfolio launched on VM.

In certain cases, decisions can be influenced, remember when the Sky channels were pulled from VM in a carriage dispute? Staff changed the EPG entries to Sky Gone, Sky Snooze etc. Branson thought that this was childish and ordered them to be corrected back..

heavyside 09-05-2018 11:50

Could this be a signal that Liberty Global will soon have its hands on the cash to buy ITV?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...oadband-assets

1andrew1 11-05-2018 11:15

I wonder if La Liga UK rights owner 11 Sports will set up as a channel as it has done in other countries? The advent of stand-alone sports channels like DAZN and 11 Sports seems to vindicate VM's strategy of not following BT into this market.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...eleven-sports/

muppetman11 11-05-2018 11:51

Genuine question how many in the UK are going to pay another sub to watch La Liga ? , very few I'd say.

denphone 11-05-2018 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35946521)
Genuine question how many in the UK are going to pay another sub to watch La Liga ? , very few I'd say.

Only those with more money then sense l would imagine...

1andrew1 11-05-2018 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35946521)

The implicit question is what do Eleven Sports do with those rights. The clock is ticking!
- Sub-licence to BT, Sky, Premier Sports or Amazon?
- Sub-licence to a PSB?
- Offer free online sponsored by Santander?
- Acquire more rights to form a channel and then try and get it bundled in with BT Sport or Premier Sports?

Chad 11-05-2018 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35946524)
The implicit question is what do Eleven Sports do with those rights. The clock is ticking!
- Sub-licence to BT, Sky, Premier Sports or Amazon?
- Sub-licence to a PSB?
- Offer free online sponsored by Santander?
- Acquire more rights to form a channel and then try and get it bundled in with BT Sport or Premier Sports?

They could snap up more content. The rights to Seria A and Eredivisie are up for grabs along with the Scottish Cup and Scottish International teams friendlies. I'm sure Amazon would love to add Eleven Sports as one of their Amazon channels.

OLD BOY 11-05-2018 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35946528)
They could snap up more content. The rights to Seria A and Eredivisie are up for grabs along with the Scottish Cup and Scottish International teams friendlies. I'm sure Amazon would love to add Eleven Sports as one of their Amazon channels.

That's right. I don't think for one minute that La Liga will be the only sport on Eleven Sports (note the plural!).

Raider999 11-05-2018 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35946528)

I like football, but only ever watch the Real/Barcelona games - don't watch any of your suggestions so for me it is a non-starter if it isn't free.

muppetman11 11-05-2018 13:50

Exactly the majority of UK viewers who watch Football view the Champions League , Premier League , EFL etc.

The rest is just filler , I wouldn't subscribe to a Channel with just foreign football league's.