Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (OLD) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708712)

tweetiepooh 09-03-2020 09:35

Re: Coronavirus

Someone from my son's college tested positive. We've not been contacted so are not in the (immediate) contact group so it's attend as normal - deep cleansed the college over weekend.

Apparently customers are being nasty to Sainsburys' staff as if it were there fault there are no loo rolls. We buy ours from Costco. Just can't understand the panic. Yes we buy pasta in large volumes because I don't go to Costco that often but it keeps.

heero_yuy 09-03-2020 09:51

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote from downquark1: Remember this all started because one Chinese man was bitten by a bat (supposedly).
I thought is was a bowl of this:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1583747414

:D

Attachment 28239

nomadking 09-03-2020 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36026697)
Someone from my son's college tested positive. We've not been contacted so are not in the (immediate) contact group so it's attend as normal - deep cleansed the college over weekend.

Apparently customers are being nasty to Sainsburys' staff as if it were there fault there are no loo rolls. We buy ours from Costco. Just can't understand the panic. Yes we buy pasta in large volumes because I don't go to Costco that often but it keeps.

Not as simple as that. It is the network of contacts that occurred in the previous 2 weeks. A passes it to B, C, D, etc, and they each pass it on to others and so on. Then there is the issue of indirect transference via contact with contaminated surfaces.

If everybody works under the assumption that they might be carrying it, and they take precautions to avoid potentially giving it to others, then it will calm down.

As far as banning large gatherings, eg sports events, the issue is not just when X gets the bug and gets seriously ill or dies, but they go on to spread it to others around their home area. One of those instances where doing something prematurely is far better than doing it too late.

RichardCoulter 09-03-2020 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36026701)
Not as simple as that. It is the network of contacts that occurred in the previous 2 weeks. A passes it to B, C, D, etc, and they each pass it on to others and so on. Then there is the issue of indirect transference via contact with contaminated surfaces.

If everybody works under the assumption that they might be carrying it, and they take precautions to avoid potentially giving it to others, then it will calm down.

As far as banning large gatherings, eg sports events, the issue is not just when X gets the bug and gets seriously ill or dies, but they go on to spread it to others around their home area. One of those instances where doing something prematurely is far better than doing it too late.

Exactly this.

downquark1 09-03-2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36026702)
Exactly this.

Yes, but this essentially means closing down the country.

nomadking 09-03-2020 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36026703)

As a World Health Organisation Doctor pointed out on TV, it has worked in China. The number of new cases is just a handful.

downquark1 09-03-2020 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36026704)
As a World Health Organisation Doctor pointed out on TV, it has worked in China. The number of new cases is just a handful.

Even that is not assuming EVERYONE is infected. There are people operating outside the infected areas trying to manage this situation.

But yes, we need to stop all unnecessary travel and close down unnecessary communal activity. Basic services infrastructure are going to have to work on skeletal crews. Hospital workers are going to have to be heroes here.

None of this will be easy. Best case scenario is we delay it until spring and the weather kills it.

nomadking 09-03-2020 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36026705)
Even that is not assuming EVERYONE is infected. There are people operating outside the infected areas trying to manage this situation.

But yes, we need to stop all unnecessary travel and close down unnecessary communal activity. Basic services infrastructure are going to have to work on skeletal crews. Hospital workers are going to have to be heroes here.

None of this will be easy. Best case scenario is we delay it until spring and the weather kills it.

The Meteorological spring started at the beginning of this month.

denphone 09-03-2020 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36026703)

Which they have done in Lombardy.

---------- Post added at 11:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36026697)

We were in Sainsbury's this morning and it was calmness and serenity personified.

There were notices that stock was limited on certain products allbeit several pallets of toilet roll were being brought out from the stock room and there was still some on the shelves, there was some hand wash available although it was pretty limited in what they had , pasta well there was still some there but not a lot.

Bleach and anti bacterial wipes there was still plenty of that on observation.

Carth 09-03-2020 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36026707)

We were in Sainsbury's this morning and it was calmness and serenity personified.

There were notices that stock was limited on certain products allbeit several pallets of toilet roll were being brought out from the stock room and there was still some on the shelves, there was some hand wash available although it was pretty limited in what they had , pasta well there was still some there but not a lot.

Bleach and anti bacterial wipes there was still plenty of that on observation.

Bleach and anti bacterial wipes . . not sure I'd fancy that combination instead of toilet roll, although in my far distant youth a dock leaf or two came in very handy :D

denphone 09-03-2020 14:42

Latest UK figures show 319 people have tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...085f0b8d944f16

Quote:

A total of 319 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK, up from 273 on Sunday, the Department of Health has said.

jfman 09-03-2020 15:04

Government not going to do anything. I'd suggest they ask the Italian Government what they'd like to have done a week ago.

pip08456 09-03-2020 15:05

1 Attachment(s)
Wel I'm all lready now.:D

denphone 09-03-2020 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36026722)
Wel I'm all lready now.:D

Now which one should one use first.:D

Paul 09-03-2020 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by downquark1 (Post 36026693)
As long as one infected person remains unquarantined it has the potential for most people to be infected.

Which is exactly the same for Flu, every year. :erm:

People in the UK die from Flu every year (on average about 600 people in the UK die from flu, some years are much higher, it was estimated that over 13,000 deaths resulted from flu in 2008-09) and yet the country somehow manages to carry on without insanity setting in. :dozey: