Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705705)

1andrew1 15-11-2017 23:50

BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV

Quote:

The BBC is manoeuvring towards a £500m bid for full control of UKTV, the broadcaster behind the Dave and Gold channels, in what would be a major expansion into the advertising and pay-TV markets.
According to industry and City sources the corporation’s commercial arm BBC Worldwide is in talks with advisers about borrowing hundreds of millions of pounds from private investors to buy out the half of UKTV it does not already own.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...e-broadcaster/

RichardCoulter 16-11-2017 01:01

Re: BBC considers bid for the rest of UKTV

Never saw that coming.

Wonder why they didn't make an offer when Scripps were selling their 50% stake?

1andrew1 16-11-2017 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35925175)
Never saw that coming.

Wonder why they didn't make an offer when Scripps were selling their 50% stake?

I think you meant VM not Scripps? The BBC has become more right-wing since then and the Government is tied up with Brexit so the BBC is unlikely to find so much opposition this time round.

OLD BOY 16-11-2017 09:04

Well, if it helps to keep the licence fee down, I'm all for it. They are BBC programmes, after all.

RichardCoulter 16-11-2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35925189)
I think you meant VM not Scripps? The BBC has become more right-wing since then and the Government is tied up with Brexit so the BBC is unlikely to find so much opposition this time round.

I thought that Scripps had put themselves up for sale and been bought by Discovery?

Maybe the BBC would have had to buy the whole company as opposed to just the rest of UKTV.

denphone 16-11-2017 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35925192)
Well, if it helps to keep the licence fee down, I'm all for it. They are BBC programmes, after all.

Why are you all for it as yesterday you predicted the end is nigh for Linear TV as we know it but of course OB changes his mind more then a chameleon changes their skin.:)

Quote:

OB said.

1. The number of traditional linear channels would start to decline from about 5 years' time;

2. The number of traditional linear channels existing in 20 years' time will be very small or non existent, due to the massively increased use of OTT services, which were easier and more convenient to use.

That was about a year ago, so you can take a year off the 5 years and 20 years predictions

Mr K 16-11-2017 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35925211)
Why are you all for it as yesterday you predicted the end is nigh for Linear TV as we know it but of course OB changes his mind more then a chameleon changes their skin.:)

Humour the Old Boy Den, we know linear TV is here for some time yet, the crinklies don't watch any other way and they don't die so much these days,I blame the flu jab......

As for UKTV when are they going to show some classic Dr Who again ?? Fed up of the modern version.

johnathome 16-11-2017 18:14

BBC were pleading poverty when they shut BBC3 down.

The licence fee is obviously too much!

jj20x 16-11-2017 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35925280)
BBC were pleading poverty when they shut BBC3 down.

The licence fee is obviously too much!

It's nothing to do with licence fee funding. BBC Worldwide is a commercial division of the BBC, funds for any purchase would be raised separately and revenue generated by BBC Worldwide ultimately supports the licence fee as an additional source of income.

OLD BOY 16-11-2017 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35925211)

What are you on about? UKTV is a brand and they will continue to make programmes available, whether conventionally or through on demand.

I don't know what your definition of 'nigh' is, but I thought that meant almost immediately. I have never said that the end of these beloved channels was imminent!

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35925217)
Humour the Old Boy Den, we know linear TV is here for some time yet, the crinklies don't watch any other way and they don't die so much these days,I blame the flu jab......

As for UKTV when are they going to show some classic Dr Who again ?? Fed up of the modern version.

Don't let Den mislead you, Mr K! I agree that these channels are here for a while yet, but Den can't quite grasp this (although I think he's full of mischief!).

1andrew1 29-09-2018 11:15

So it looks like the BBC will acquire the drama channels (including Dave, Gold and Drama) and Discovery the lifestyle channels (including Good Food and Home).
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...plit-ccg2k52xc

OLD BOY 29-09-2018 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35964834)
So it looks like the BBC will acquire the drama channels (including Dave, Gold and Drama) and Discovery the lifestyle channels (including Good Food and Home).
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...plit-ccg2k52xc

I hope that BBC ensures that Drama has an HD offering. I would be more inclined to watch it.

I recorded The White Princess, but being in standard definition, it is not so pleasant to watch on a larger screen and this spoilt it for me.

japitts 01-10-2018 08:52

Agreed. I've become quite intrigued recently by UKTV's free vs pay strategy. I've noticed a few programs being shown across 3 channels. Gavin & Stacey, The Bill & a couple of older comedies are shown on W, Gold & Drama at different times.

I've managed to deduce that UKTV's free channels don't have HD equivalents except for Dave, but Drama would certainly benefit from HD far more than Gold would.

OLD BOY 01-10-2018 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35965028)
Agreed. I've become quite intrigued recently by UKTV's free vs pay strategy. I've noticed a few programs being shown across 3 channels. Gavin & Stacey, The Bill & a couple of older comedies are shown on W, Gold & Drama at different times.

I've managed to deduce that UKTV's free channels don't have HD equivalents except for Dave, but Drama would certainly benefit from HD far more than Gold would.

Yes, and I think the repeating of shows on pay-tv channels to free channels that you describe was one of the issues raised by Virgin Media in their recent carriage dispute with UKTV. It is a bit off, frankly.

RichardCoulter 01-10-2018 15:02

Lots of them do this e.g. Sky, Discovery etc I don't mind as if I ever dump pay TV I know I won't be missing out.