Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

jfman 21-08-2019 13:11

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Once you've paid for said broadband plus some streamers - factoring in the price rises to make their business models viable - you're suddenly in excess of Virgin/Sky discounted pricing.

oliver1948uk 21-08-2019 13:13

The point is that the cost of decent broadband must be added to the cost of your chosen streamed services

OLD BOY 21-08-2019 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36006849)
Remember broadband without a bundled TV package will cost more

What if the streaming services were packaged instead of the pay tv channels? That's what I envisage happening in the longer term.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36006888)
Once you've paid for said broadband plus some streamers - factoring in the price rises to make their business models viable - you're suddenly in excess of Virgin/Sky discounted pricing.

That's because you are not envisioning what I said in my above post.

---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36006889)
The point is that the cost of decent broadband must be added to the cost of your chosen streamed services

No. See above.

muppetman11 21-08-2019 15:54

Love Nature, a worldwide leader of Ultra HD natural history content, comes to Sky on demand later this year

Link

denphone 21-08-2019 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36006912)
Love Nature, a worldwide leader of Ultra HD natural history content, comes to Sky on demand later this year

Link

Some good content on that channel.

jfman 21-08-2019 17:39

I can't believe I'm being accused of having a lack of vision for a future to which Old Boy doesn't currently subscribe.

Mad Max 21-08-2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36006927)
I can't believe I'm being accused of having a lack of vision for a future to which Old Boy doesn't currently subscribe.

Maybe that's because you keep knocking back all the evidence that he provides, and i do think that he does subscribe to some streaming services, isn't that what he said was the future?

OLD BOY 21-08-2019 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36006927)

Could you explain that for me, please, as now you are talking in riddles.

I said I envisage that in the future, we would probably end up with packages of streaming services rather than channels on cable tv. Against that comment, your response doesn't appear to make sense. Are you referring to something else?

To be perfectly clear, if Virgin offered broadband and a package of streaming services that you could take instead of TV channels, I would take it. I cannot subscribe in this way at present because such a deal is not on offer.

As you know, I attach great importance to having all my streaming services on one box.

jfman 21-08-2019 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36006951)
Could you explain that for me, please, as now you are talking in riddles.

I said I envisage that in the future, we would probably end up with packages of streaming services rather than channels on cable tv. Against that comment, your response doesn't appear to make sense. Are you referring to something else?

To be perfectly clear, if Virgin offered broadband and a package of streaming services that you could take instead of TV channels, I would take it. I cannot subscribe in this way at present because such a deal is not on offer.

As you know, I attach great importance to having all my streaming services on one box.

Why don’t you just buy broadband from someone else? Vodafone are doing it for £20 a month. Then some streaming.

Easy.

Except it’s not. Streaming doesn’t offer the compelling content that’s the bread and butter of pay-tv in this country.

You attach an importance to something unrealisable if you want it all on one box with integrated menus and search functions. Disney don’t want to direct you to Viacom content, or Netflix content, or NBC content.

If you think they do then you’ve missed the point altogether. If you are relying on a platform to offer it then it’s no different to Sky or Virgin now.

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36006949)
Maybe that's because you keep knocking back all the evidence that he provides, and i do think that he does subscribe to some streaming services, isn't that what he said was the future?

Opinion pieces from digital marketing companies isn’t evidence.

Mad Max 21-08-2019 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36006986)
Why don’t you just buy broadband from someone else? Vodafone are doing it for £20 a month. Then some streaming.

Easy.

Except it’s not. Streaming doesn’t offer the compelling content that’s the bread and butter of pay-tv in this country.

You attach an importance to something unrealisable if you want it all on one box with integrated menus and search functions. Disney don’t want to direct you to Viacom content, or Netflix content, or NBC content.

If you think they do then you’ve missed the point altogether. If you are relying on a platform to offer it then it’s no different to Sky or Virgin now.

It's a damn sight more than you ever offer!

Stephen 21-08-2019 23:30

Quote:

Easy.

Except the fact that most of the main channels DO offer streaming options to watch most of the broadcast TV. iPlayer, all4, 5on Demand etc.

Mad Max 21-08-2019 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36007005)
Except the fact that most of the main channels DO offer streaming options to watch most of the broadcast TV. iPlayer, all4, 5on Demand etc.

Yup, spot on, but others still deny this is happening, heads in the sand!

jfman 22-08-2019 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36007002)
It's a damn sight more than you ever offer!

I dunno, a basic grasp of economics?

jfman 22-08-2019 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36007005)

Yes, my point is that linear will continue to exist alongside streaming. I even accept there will be less linear channels.

However to the companies you mention the cost of maintaining linear, considering the prominence it gives them, is virtually zero.

OLD BOY 22-08-2019 08:36

Quote:

Easy.

No, because I am talking about the future, not the present. Much of the 'compelling content' on the main terrestrial channels will soon be available on Britbox UK later this year, which is another step towards that future. I am waiting for that cross over point when everything that is on pay tv is also on a streaming service and available in one place.

You say that Disney won't want their subscribers to access other content on the same box, but that is a nonsense argument that is answered just by looking at what is already happening. The route to maximising the chances subscribing to your service is to ensure it is on as many platforms as possible. Look at the Amazon Fire Stick, for example. Search for stuff on there and it also brings up the Netflix offerings. Netflix - their greatest competitor!

The presence of streaming services on as many platforms as possible is key to the biggest possible audience with the content you have to offer. Even Apple have come to that conclusion and will roll out their Apple+ service on platforms other than Apple.

A good example of what happens to streaming services that cannot find any popular platforms from which to offer their services is Eleven Sports, and look what happened to their plans for the UK.

You constantly denigrate just about everything that is posted by me and others, despite the links provided, but you rarely provide any links of your own to back up your contrary arguments. This leads me to the view that you tend to argue for the sake of it. It would be really nice if you could engage sensibly with the arguments put forward, but just basically saying 'No you're wrong because it will be the opposite and I'm right because I've studied economics' just doesn't wash, I'm afraid.

---------- Post added at 08:36 ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36007017)
Yes, my point is that linear will continue to exist alongside streaming. I even accept there will be less linear channels.

However to the companies you mention the cost of maintaining linear, considering the prominence it gives them, is virtually zero.

And yet ITV was in deep trouble just a few years ago when their advertising revenues were hit due to the recession. Can't you see that when advertising no longer brings in sufficient reveue because audiences are going elsewhere for their entertainment, these channels will fold? It costs money to run a channel with decent content on it, despite what you say. Apart from organising schedules, etc, and the costs associated with broadcasting, they have to pay for the rights to show programmes by that method. If you are just showing old junk, I guess you can get the rights for peanuts, but if you are showing what people want to see, now that costs serious money.

It won't be a case of waiting until the last person stops watching scheduled tv before the system is shut down. It will be shut down when it is no longer worth the while of companies to broadcast their wares in that way.