Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : European football clubs agree to create a Super League (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709971)

1andrew1 18-04-2021 16:04

European football clubs agree to create a Super League

Looks like it's happening! Clubs will still play in their own country's league.

Quote:

Top European football clubs sign up to breakaway Super League

Up to 12 teams including Liverpool, Barcelona and Juventus set to join rival to Champions League

Many of Europe’s wealthiest football clubs have agreed to join a breakaway “Super League” competition that would mark the biggest transformation of the game in decades.

Up to 12 clubs have signed up to a plan, backed by $6bn in debt financing from JPMorgan, to launch a new tournament that would supersede the Champions League, currently the continent’s top annual club competition.

According to people with knowledge of the discussions, those ready to join the breakaway contest include Spain’s Real Madrid and FC Barcelona; England’s Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea; and Italy’s Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan. These clubs either declined or did not respond to a request for comment.

The new league, according to documents seen by the FT, would involve 20 clubs with 15 being “permanent members”, meaning they could not be relegated and would not need to qualify through strong performances in national league competitions.
https://www.ft.com/content/4cbef20a-...a-2af383bd0f5a
https://news.sky.com/story/european-...tands-12279432

Hom3r 18-04-2021 19:49

Re: European football clubs agree to create a Super League

As if clubs don't have enough games to play without moaning about not enough rest between games.

jfman 18-04-2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077195)
Looks like it's happening! Clubs will still play in their own country's league.

https://www.ft.com/content/4cbef20a-...a-2af383bd0f5a
https://news.sky.com/story/european-...tands-12279432

Football authorities now kicking up a stink saying they couldn’t compete in domestic competition. Could get messy.

Ordinarily would chalk this up as a bluff but with teams losing a fortune due to Covid a one off windfall of £350m to join and a super TV deal would certainly soften the blow.

I’m a bit sceptical as to the long term viability of the product. These teams are big because they’re successful and they can’t all be successful in a closed shop league.

Carth 18-04-2021 20:56

Could get very messy indeed :D

There's so much wrong with this it's hard to know where to start, but I guess those pumping the cash in have already got plans in place to recoup any debt :D

iadom 18-04-2021 22:30

Might be another bluff for the ‘big clubs’ to get a bigger slice of the pie? Sadly the FA, UEFA and FIFA are pretty useless and in certain dealings downright corrupt so do only have themselves to blame.

I for one would not renew my United season ticket if this actually comes into being.:(

Carth 18-04-2021 22:39

If you look at the English clubs mentioned, you'll see that most of them haven't won anything in years . . they do however have rich owners and nice big modern stadiums in which to host 'big' games.

Funny that eh :D

iadom 18-04-2021 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077232)
If you look at the English clubs mentioned, you'll see that most of them haven't won anything in years . . they do however have rich owners and nice big modern stadiums in which to host 'big' games.

Funny that eh :D

City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United...how many years are you going back? ;) Even Spurs got to a major European final. Every single team apart from Spurs has won a trophy in the past five years.

Carth 18-04-2021 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36077233)
City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United...how many years are you going back? ;)

How many years of pretty constant success would make a club 'big'?

One premiership champions in 10 years?
One cup in 5 years?
Nothing in 30 years for Spurs :rofl:

denphone 19-04-2021 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36077231)
Might be another bluff for the ‘big clubs’ to get a bigger slice of the pie? Sadly the FA, UEFA and FIFA are pretty useless and in certain dealings downright corrupt so do only have themselves to blame.

I for one would not renew my United season ticket if this actually comes into being.:(

It is a bluff with plenty of sabre rattling going on until they agree a deal and all make up again.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 08:03

The Premier League's TV rights won't be decided too soon then! The Damned United, currently on iPlayer, illustrates why this is a bad idea.

nomadking 19-04-2021 08:50

Seems a lot of trouble and expense by the backers for it just to be sabre-rattling.
The only people that seem to support the idea are those involved. Pretty much everybody else seems to be against it.

1andrew1 19-04-2021 09:24

I would be interested to see what Sky and BT have to say on the matter. ;)

denphone 19-04-2021 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077246)

Given many of the football presenters and pundits employed by these companies have been very vocal since yesterday l would say they have quite a lot to say on this matter.

Carth 19-04-2021 09:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36077246)

I think whatever is said, it will start with "we are prepared to offer . . "

Once all that's done, it will be over to us, and what we are prepared to pay ;)

iadom 19-04-2021 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077248)
I think whatever is said, it will start with "we are prepared to offer . . "

Once all that's done, it will be over to us, and what we are prepared to pay ;)

Very true, the fans either in the grounds or watching on TV will have to foot the bill in the long run, unless we all decide to boycott it. Such huge amounts of money from the Far East will follow this venture making our small protests insignificant, should it ever see the light of day that is.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36077235)
How many years of pretty constant success would make a club 'big'?

One premiership champions in 10 years?
One cup in 5 years?
Nothing in 30 years for Spurs :rofl:

If you take the five competitions/trophies available to clubs, Premier League, European Championship, Europa League, FA Cup, League Cup plus the more spurious World Club and Champion of Champions baubles into account.

Giving weighted points for a top six finish, semi final appearances etc over the past five or even ten years I am certain that these six clubs, even with Spurs included would be miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

Still don’t make it right.:mad: