Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Saaf_laandon_mo 05-02-2009 09:42

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34725994)
Where Eagles Dare

The Guns of Navarone

Two classic WWII movies, both based on stories by Alistair MacLean.

Both excellent, with excellent casts.

I think "Where Eagles Dare" is the better of the two though, due to the pace & the awesome team-up of Clint Eastwood & Richard Burton.

I have to agree. Where Eagles Dare is brilliant. I also liked the Eagle Has Landed.

I watched Starsky & Hutch yesterday. Really enjoyed it, very funny too. 8.5/10 for me.

Fatec 08-02-2009 06:55

Fortress

7/10

Quite a little gem really, glad someone lent me the dvd!

Great little 90s sci-fi with the violence/humour/tackiness of the 80s.

Peter_ 08-02-2009 08:47

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button not bad and does not seem to be almost 3 hours long 6/10

Hugh 08-02-2009 10:13

Juno - 8/10 for quirkiness, and not going for the easy options.

haydnwalker 08-02-2009 10:58

Disney's BOLT - 3/10

It was supposed to be...
Quote:

Originally Posted by TV Advert
Hilariously Funny

but It was one of those films you might snigger at once or twice, there wasn't much of a story for the adults, it was purely for the kids who don't have much of an attention span.

zing_deleted 08-02-2009 11:08

did you catch it in 3d?

alferret 08-02-2009 20:48

Underworld
Vampires taking on werewolves 8.5/10 if you aint watched it you should, excellent special effects and a reasonable story to boot.

Underworld Evolution
More of the above 8.5/10

Looking forward to rise of the Lycans (U3)

Tezcatlipoca 08-02-2009 21:24

You forgot to mention they also feature Kate Beckinsale in a rather nice costume, which should improve the score further IMO :D

X-Men - 8/10

Not watched this in ages. Not as good as X2, but much better than X3.

alferret 08-02-2009 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34730131)
You forgot to mention they also feature Kate Beckinsale in a rather nice costume, which should improve the score further IMO :D

A yes, but I was giving a score for the film and not the beautiful Kate, I'll revise my scores accordingly.

Underworld, hot :)
Underworld Evolution hotter ;)

haydnwalker 09-02-2009 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34729697)
did you catch it in 3d?

No I didn't - wouldn't want to TBH it was an absolutely crap film!

Stephen 09-02-2009 11:08

Bolt 3D Very funny and highly entertaining! 3D worked really well and wasn't the usually gimmicky stuff.

Loved Rhino the wee fat hamster.

8/10

demented 09-02-2009 13:56

The Other Boleyn Girl (Sky Movie Channels) 5/10
Surprisingly bad. I thought most of the main cast were completely typecast incorrectly. I don't mind creativity taking a different take on things compared to other versions - the BBC one on a few years ago. The BBC version of what I remember just seemed much more sumptuous, fun and engrossing. I think David Morrissey was actually the best person in that ahead of all his hollywood superstars he was supporting.

Spiderwick Chronicles [DVD] 6/10
Second viewing. Saw it at the cinema too. Just underwhelming. Not read the books though.

Russ 09-02-2009 14:02

Just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall again, it's ok for about half an hour but then it gets really tedious. Russell Brand plays himself in it so it's up to you whether you'll get along with that. It was only the inclusion of (the mega hot) Mila Kunis (Meg from Family Guy) that kept me watching til the end.

5 out of 10.

zing_deleted 09-02-2009 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by demented (Post 34730468)
The Other Boleyn Girl (Sky Movie Channels) 5/10
Surprisingly bad. I thought most of the main cast were completely typecast incorrectly. I don't mind creativity taking a different take on things compared to other versions - the BBC one on a few years ago. The BBC version of what I remember just seemed much more sumptuous, fun and engrossing. I think David Morrissey was actually the best person in that ahead of all his hollywood superstars he was supporting.

Spiderwick Chronicles [DVD] 6/10
Second viewing. Saw it at the cinema too. Just underwhelming. Not read the books though.

Historically the only main fault was that Anne most likely was younger than Mary. There is documented evidence that supports this story

demented 09-02-2009 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34730478)
Historically the only main fault was that Anne most likely was younger than Mary. There is documented evidence that supports this story

I actually meant style and casting as opposed to historical accuracy. There is a long list of well documented points relating to the book of The Other Boleyn Girl rather than just the age. My only historical complaint was in this version what appeared to be constantly referring to Henry VIII as "your grace". This is historically inaccurate and I can only imagine put as an "in context" educator.

No what I meant was putting in a dullard as Anne Boleyn, having Mary cast as the sexy one and trying to tone it down by acting out of it, having Thomas Boleyn being a duddering cautious idiot and George Boleyn as some hot looking semi-popular brother.