Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 04-01-2009 00:26

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob M (Post 34708866)
"Indiana Jones and Some Sort of Crystal Skull Thing"

Not bad I guess, 7/10 purely for entertainment value.

Yeah, I enjoyed it.

Some stupid bits, but the original trilogy had some silly bits too.

Then again, I don't think the original trilogy had anything quite like The Fridge though...

Fatec 04-01-2009 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal (Post 34708926)
Okay, it may not be in the same ultra-clean category as Mary Poppins or Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang, but it was good family fun movie, where both kids and adults could laugh at, rather than being just either the kids or the adults.

Exactly. :)

Patlabor (The Movie) (BluRay)

7/10

Found the english dub more fitting than the japanese for some reason, alot of action, abit of comedy thrown in too, quite enjoyable.

Stuart 04-01-2009 23:10

Wall-e

8 out of 10.

When I first saw it, I thought I was going to be put off by how sentimental it was. While there was a lot of sentimentality in it, it had a surprisingly good story. It also had good performances from the cast (although the two main characters just used a series of sampled and heavily processed words as a language so didn't really speak as such).

Excellent graphics as well. Especially in HD. A lot of pop culture references as well.

homealone 04-01-2009 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C (Post 34709477)
Wall-e

8 out of 10.

When I first saw it, I thought I was going to be put off by how sentimental it was. While there was a lot of sentimentality in it, it had a surprisingly good story. It also had good performances from the cast (although the two main characters just used a series of sampled and heavily processed words as a language so didn't really speak as such).

Excellent graphics as well. Especially in HD. A lot of pop culture references as well.

It was the lack of dialogue & , rather, the way the animation expressed the story that appealed to me, I thought it was great & agree with your 8/10 :)

zing_deleted 04-01-2009 23:17

Holes. Shi Le beouf first starring role (old film lol ) good for what it was. Bethia wanted to see it as she was studying the book before the holidays and wanted to see the film 7/10

Alien 05-01-2009 17:29

Rumble in the Bronx: 6/10

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift: Not too bad, the main character's hicksville accent was rather annoying though. 7/10

Vampire in Brooklyn: Not bad. 7/10

Garfield: Much better than I was expecting from what some people had written about it. Loses a point for the song he sings when John throws him out, as it seems totally out of character for Garfield, & out of place for the movie as it's not a musical [thankfully!]. 7/10

The Recruit: Decent thriller. 8/10

Alien 06-01-2009 14:19

Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story: Interesting spin on an old story. 7/10

40 Days and 40 Nights: 7/10

Vampires Anonymous: 5/10

Gargoyle: 5/10

demented 06-01-2009 14:25

Serenity 3/10. One of the biggest disappointments of all time and one of the worst films I've ever seen. Cannot understand the hype.

Vanity Fair 7/10 good adaptation.

Chris 06-01-2009 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by demented (Post 34710347)
Serenity 3/10. One of the biggest disappointments of all time and one of the worst films I've ever seen. Cannot understand the hype.

I tuned in last night and tried to get into this, but after 30 minutes or so I was left wondering exactly why I was supposed to give a damn about any of the main characters. The plot was obscure, wrapped in far too many layers of backstory and legend. I have seen just enough of the TV series to have had some idea what was going on, but anyone who came to this cold will most likely have been totally flummoxed.

I gave up well before the end.

Jewel Staite is far better employed in Stargate Atlantis. :D

Quote:

Vanity Fair 7/10 good adaptation.
It's been a while since I saw this, but I agree, it was well done, and nice to see Natasha Little, who played Becky Sharp in the mid-90s BBC adaptation given a role in the film as Lady Jane (IIRC there may have been others, but I can't remember who).

zing_deleted 06-01-2009 21:32

Defiance 9:10 very good indeed and fact based makes it all the better

Tezcatlipoca 06-01-2009 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34710360)
I tuned in last night and tried to get into this, but after 30 minutes or so I was left wondering exactly why I was supposed to give a damn about any of the main characters. The plot was obscure, wrapped in far too many layers of backstory and legend. I have seen just enough of the TV series to have had some idea what was going on, but anyone who came to this cold will most likely have been totally flummoxed.

I gave up well before the end.

Jewel Staite is far better employed in Stargate Atlantis. :D

The first time I saw "Serenity" was before I ever saw "Firefly". In-flight movie, not much choice. I didn't know the characters, or the backstory, but I watched it & found it fairly enjoyable.

When I next watched it, after having had a marathon "Firefly" DVD session, I loved it. Really really helps if you know the series, the characters, the story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34710679)
Defiance 9:10 very good indeed and fact based makes it all the better

Is that the new one with Daniel Craig?

zing_deleted 06-01-2009 22:16

Yeah very good indeed :)

Tezcatlipoca 06-01-2009 22:51

Cool. One to look out for then :)

Chris 06-01-2009 23:54

Speed 2:Cruise Control. Another zero from me. I'm not having much luck this week!

I sat through 90 minutes of this on e4+1 just now, before giving up to go to bed. It's awful. The soundtrack is awful, the dialogue is clunky and the pacing is all over the place. I think the film editor has used blunt garden shears.

Goodnight!

Stephen 10-01-2009 00:06

Repo! The Genetic Opera 7/10 - Interesting and slighty strange musical movie. Apparently holds the record for the most musical numbers in a single film and was done by the people that brought us Saw!

Starring Anthony Head, Sarah Brightman and Paris Hilton!