Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Glasgow Celtic V Rangers Rivalry (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33626453)

Arthurgray50@blu 03-01-2008 18:54

Glasgow Celtic V Rangers Rivalry

I was watching a prog, the other night on Celtic and Rangers in Glasgow, and l could not believe that the ' relgious ' fued is still as strong as ever, between the clubs, and that Rangers, will NOT sign a catholic player, l am actually, married to a Scot, and her family are Celtic fans, and yet this anger towards Rangers, relates back years, and l cannot believe that the SFA, allow it to continue, there was a rumour that Celtic and Rangers, were planning to join the English Premier League, well if this is the case, l think they are better off staying in Scotland, it was a very interesting prog, l know that down south, we have strong rivalry between ie Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Man Utd, Liverpool etc but this has nothing to do with religion.:)

ikthius 03-01-2008 19:03

Re: Glasgow Celtic V Rangers Rivalry

I am a celtic fan, and you got that wrong.........

celtic have signed many non catholics and rangers have signed catholics, lorenzo amoruso, Gattuso of AC milan

ik

edit: yes the big 2 here tried, and would probably generate a lot of money for the FA, but it wont happen, it should not.......
and yes it stemmed from religion, but that attitude is slowly changing, but it is safer now than it ever was at an old firm match, not as much deaths afterwards.

but remember these programmes, are made for an audience, so they make it as bitter and twisted as they can....

now if they done a prog on football violence, no-one would be as bad as the english clubs in the 80s, but thats another tv prog isn't it

Derek 03-01-2008 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 34463712)
I was watching a prog, the other night on Celtic and Rangers in Glasgow, and l could not believe that the ' relgious ' fued is still as strong as ever, between the clubs, and that Rangers, will NOT sign a catholic player,

It wasn't originally shown in the early 80's was it?

Aside from Rangers buying a Catholic ex-Celtic player (Mo Johnstone) they've had a number of Catholic players, including their captain from a few years back. In fact a few years ago I'm sure the Rangers team had more catholics than the Celtic side. However seeing I doubt many players see the inside of a church/chapel each Sunday I don't think it really matters.
Football is one thing and religion shouldn't come into it.

The religious side of things is still an issue in the West of Scotland but nowhere near as bad as it was 10-15 years ago.

Hugh 03-01-2008 19:40

Arthur, why don't you ever quote/link what programme/paper you see these things in?

No one would mind, honest.

Arthurgray50@blu 03-01-2008 19:44

Hello ikthius, I stand corrected, but, from the prog, and there have been many made on these two big clubs from Scotland, l have been to an old firm game and the tension was there, but this was some 20 years old, but on match days today, this there still the atmosphere that was protrayed in the prog, But the big question is could the SPL survive without the big two, regards:)

ikthius 03-01-2008 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 34463751)
Hello ikthius, I stand corrected, but, from the prog, and there have been many made on these two big clubs from Scotland, l have been to an old firm game and the tension was there, but this was some 20 years old, but on match days today, this there still the atmosphere that was protrayed in the prog, But the big question is could the SPL survive without the big two, regards:)

well the last one was getting back to the old old firm, fight on the park with passion, for the last few years its been boring......

think of it like man u & chelsea, they have a rivalry that you can feel at the game. same with the old firm. mind you we aint as bad a south america.....

but your question of would the spl survive without the big 2..... I think it would, as the other teams have a following, ok not as big, but more money would be spent on the rest so more can be used to get better players, therefore building the league up, a bit like the english first division getting slowly better through Sky money then becoming the premier league. so yes I do think the SPL could survive without the big two.

now the question now is, would the FA handle it if teh old firm were in the PL and one of them winning it???? :erm: :) ;) :D

ik