Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cold call with a threatening tone. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706474)

Hom3r 12-06-2018 19:36

Cold call with a threatening tone.

This morning my mobile was in a dead zone at work.

I had a voice message which roughly said the following, in a computer generated voice.

"Legal action is being taken against me and my home is being watch call this number XYZ, don't ignore this, call XYZ"

I deleted it, it didn't say my name or say a name of the caller.

In hind site I should have saved it and reported it to the police as a threatning call.

If you get this I would report it.

Damien 12-06-2018 21:06

Re: Cold call with a threatening tone.

That's a pretty bad one! Report it anyway if you have the number.

I am not sure about anyone else but I've been getting a lot more spam calls recently. Usually one of those fake London area codes but when I pick up it's quiet.

Mr K 12-06-2018 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35950329)

I am not sure about anyone else but I've been getting a lot more spam calls recently. Usually one of those fake London area codes but when I pick up it's quiet.

A lot of VOIP phone numbers are 0208. My work number is 0208 and I'm nowhere near London. It wasn't me cold calling btw ;)

Paul 13-06-2018 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35950314)
In hind site I should have saved it and reported it to the police as a threatning call.

In what way was it "threatning" :confused:

TheDaddy 13-06-2018 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35950348)
In what way was it "threatning" :confused:

It was threatening legal action

heero_yuy 13-06-2018 10:36

I've had those sort of calls perporting to be HMRC and to call a particular number immediatly or court action would proceed.

HMRC will never phone you out of the blue like that so I could be sure it was some type of scam.

Checking the number on a reverse lookup site came up as a scammer.

Chloé Palmas 13-06-2018 18:51

Yeah, that seems a lot more reasonable than "should have saved the number, then called the cops". Not only is that absurdly over dramatic but it is also entirely pointless and likely to waste resources. Assuming that the individual(s) responsible are even in the jurisdictional United Kingdom you don't have a criminal case to proceed with here.

If you tried calling the police, what on earth would you report the crime as?

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35950329)

On what grounds / for what?

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35950353)
It was threatening legal action

Yeah, try taking that to court. "They threatened me with legal action".

Really think that will go anywhere? Take it to a police station and see where you get.

If the threat is that of lawful behavior (legal action in this case, ironically) then there is no criminal / penal resolution to the issue. He may be able to chase it up civilly but that is as far as it would or could go.

TheDaddy 13-06-2018 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35950419)

Really think that will go anywhere? Take it to a police station and see where you get.

If the threat is that of lawful behavior (legal action in this case, ironically) then there is no criminal / penal resolution to the issue. He may be able to chase it up civilly but that is as far as it would or could go.

Why would I take it anywhere, I didn't receive the call, was merely helping Paul out, I never offered any opinion on the call. What I would say to David if he does get the police involved is the words harassment, alarm and distress will only ever enhance the complaint being made

Chloé Palmas 13-06-2018 19:28

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that you literally take it anywhere. I meant it more in the sense of "you'll see how fast you were laughed out of court is you claim that is a threat". (I didn't want to sound rude though. :p)

And yes, if he does get the police involved those words would trigger a more enhanced and urgent complaint, and response....and when the police see the issue at hand that the complaint is made over the pending rebuke over wasting police time will likely be more enhanced, too.

Chris 14-06-2018 09:51

Ofcom takes a dim view of these sorts of calls and will happily receive a report.

Anonymouse 14-06-2018 14:30

Ofcom needs to bloody well DO SOMETHING!!!

I'm now getting calls from unfamiliar numbers every weekday. I have filled my blacklist (so my phone tells me) with numbers I don't recognise. So now if I don't recognise the number I simply put the phone on silent, wait till they give up and delete the call. I DO NOT ANSWER THEM. EVER.

Carth 14-06-2018 16:20

I only answer calls from people in my contacts list . . all the rest get ignored.

If it is anyone genuinely needing to get in touch they simply have to send a text explaining who they are and the reason for calling. Even then I still have a choice of whether to talk to them or not :D

heero_yuy 14-06-2018 18:31

If I recognise the number then I take the call. Otherwise they get to talk to the answerphone if I haven't blacklisted the number.

IMO cold calling should be made a criminal offence on the company CEO that the call is being made for. A weeks jail for every call to run consecutively. :D

That'll put a stop to it.

Mr K 14-06-2018 18:53

The moral of the story is don't give your phone no out to all and sundry. I pity anyone with the phone no 01234 567890, as its the number I give to anybody that doesn't really need it.

Paul 14-06-2018 19:18

Hey, thats my number !