Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   T-Mobile / Orange switching (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688525)

kwikbreaks 28-06-2012 19:18

T-Mobile / Orange switching

I can see a VM customer SIM only deal that would suit me but the coverage map for T-Mobile which appears to be the default Virgin network is very patchy near my home which is where it would mostly be used. Orange looks to be better although I never trust any of the mobile coverage maps as I've found all of them to be optimistic.

My question is will the phone (plain old 2G one my wife mainly uses for texting) be likely to seamlessly switch over to Orange if the signal is poor rather than non-existent or would I do better digging deeper into my pocket and getting something O2/Vodafone based which both do work well here.

grim reaper 28-06-2012 19:23

Re: T-Mobile / Orange switching

yep ... if there is no t-mobile signal available the phone should automatically switch to orange ..... you can see the difference on your phones screen as when on t-mobile signal it will show Virgin (capital V) whilst if on an orange signal it will show virgin (lowercase v)

kwikbreaks 28-06-2012 19:35

It was the "non-existent" bit in the blurb that bothered me - there probably would be a T-Mobile signal but at Norman Collier quality level. For those too young or too cultured to know what I mean by that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpQyJ_bTiw

BenMcr 28-06-2012 19:45

I think it's cleverer than that now i.e. it'll use the best quality signal available

Peter_ 28-06-2012 22:50

It seamlessly switches between the 2 networks without a hiccup the only way you can tell if it has switched is by looking at the screen.

I never know which network my phone is on unless I look.;)

Matth 29-06-2012 00:44

I can manually select Orange, while using a Virgin Sim, tieing it to Orange though, with no chance to select Virgin (the T-mobile side).
In auto, it will prefer Virgin (T-mob) when available, but how poor it has to be before it will step over to Orange, I'm not sure, so YMMV - if you force Orange as a manual network selection, then you will ONLY get Orange coverage, so it will not hunt back to Virgin

carmad 29-06-2012 08:20

I can received both orange and T Mobile and it seamlessly switches to the strongest signal at the time.

kwikbreaks 29-06-2012 08:41

Thank folks - I'll give it a spin - as it's only a 30 day contract the loss is negligible if it proves to be poor.

Peter_ 29-06-2012 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikbreaks (Post 35447786)
Thank folks - I'll give it a spin - as it's only a 30 day contract the loss is negligible if it proves to be poor.

My wife is on that contract and it is good value.

Jinxey 29-06-2012 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35447654)
I think it's cleverer than that now i.e. it'll use the best quality signal available

I find this. I'm on Orange and there is a Orange 3G signal by me, although the T-Mobile 3G signal is stronger. I find around 99% of time I am using the T-Mobile signal.

kwikbreaks 30-06-2012 20:04

Well it seems to be working just fine - I'm sure I'll be the first to hear if there are any hiccups...

chrispy2000 09-07-2012 20:27

Quote:

I can received both orange and T Mobile and it seamlessly switches to the strongest signal at the time.
I wish mine switched seamlessly.
I use a iPhone 4 and when it's on Orange I can't send any text. A real pain.

Stephen 10-07-2012 10:09

I now spend more time on the Orange(virgin) network as the signal seems to be stronger where I am. Even when I go in and manually select the T-Mobile(Virgin) network, it still switches over to virgin from Virgin.

Gadgie 27-07-2012 21:44

I am presently with T Mobile on a 24 month contract, that is far too expensive, is it possible for me to change over as well as keep my existing number?

02 Mobile, have a present deal which works out at Half the Price I am paying T Mobile!

I've read my contract, and it says I can opt out of the contract, but I want to know if anyone has managed that in the past.;)

alferret 01-08-2012 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadgie (Post 35457096)

I've read my contract, and it says I can opt out of the contract, but I want to know if anyone has managed that in the past.;)

My wife opted out of her contract a few years ago & it cost half of the contract that was left which was £60'ish IIRC but the savings on the new contract outweighed the buyout by another £20. This was with Voda in 07.