Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   1000M : Are VM throttling Usenet again? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709938)

buckeye 02-04-2021 18:26

Are VM throttling Usenet again?

As the title says are VM throttling Usenet again?
I'm on their GB tier and up until the 26th March my Usenet downloads averaged over 100 MB/s, usually they would be around 108 MB/s.
Ever since that date my downloads are fluctuating between 20-48 MB/s, but if I go to speed test sites I'm being shown pretty much my full bandwidth (although ping has increased during this time to 10ms from 7 or 8),
also whilst I am downloading from Usenet the speed test sites are showing a pretty accurate measure of my remaining bandwidth.

All of my Usenet servers are SSL servers on port 563 and over the past week I've pretty much eliminated any hardware faults in my own equipment, so either my VM Hub 4 (which is in modem mode) has suddenly developed a fault, my area has suddenly become congested at all hours, my area has maintenance being done (nothing is announced when I phone or check in my VM) or VM are throttling me on Usenet only.

Is anyone else experiencing any problems like this?

Jaymoss 02-04-2021 18:41

Re: Are VM throttling Usenet again?

how many providers you tried? Tweaknews saturates my connection all the time

buckeye 03-04-2021 11:32

I have tried 5 providers 4 of which are on different backbones, I've also tried to see if its a routing problem by trying all of those providers via their US servers and their EU ones nothing is making a difference, for Usenet its like I'm on at the most the 500 meg tier but other stuff is behaving like the 1000 meg tier.

Jaymoss 03-04-2021 11:35

Well maybe they are targeting you because you are downloading the internet or maybe there is a temporary issue in your area

buckeye 03-04-2021 14:52

Well I'm not downloading the internet, my usage is reasonably low compared to most other Usenet users I know.
As someone who is working during lockdown and not from home my bandwidth usage is zero for 10 hours a day for 5 days a week anyway.
I guess I will have to lodge a complaint but its going to be anyone's guess as to when I will be able to get a weekend visit from an engineer which is the only time I can have a visit.

Jaymoss 03-04-2021 14:56

I know there is DMCA take downs and the like but may I ask why you need 5 providers ?

pip08456 03-04-2021 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeye (Post 36076079)
Well I'm not downloading the internet, my usage is reasonably low compared to most other Usenet users I know.
As someone who is working during lockdown and not from home my bandwidth usage is zero for 10 hours a day for 5 days a week anyway.
I guess I will have to lodge a complaint but its going to be anyone's guess as to when I will be able to get a weekend visit from an engineer which is the only time I can have a visit.

Have you set up a BQM yet?

buckeye 03-04-2021 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36076080)
I know there is DMCA take downs and the like but may I ask why you need 5 providers ?

As a beta tester for 3 of those providers I get very cheap life time accounts,
my other two accounts are from the darkside I.E. Omicron, but they are still ridiculously cheap , I'm not asking about DMCA takedowns, I haven't even thought about those for many years, no-one using Usenet should have any concerns about DMCA if they have their system setup correctly.
I am asking why my downloads from NNTP are so slow?

Sephiroth 10-04-2021 09:52

The usual reasons are:

1. Area congestion;

2. Circuit impairment.

Have you checked your modem levels? What is happening to your neighbours? VM don’t throttle anything afaik.

broadbandking 13-04-2021 21:46

Couldn't it be down to load balancing and given certain traffic priority on the VM level?