Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707507)

Mick 19-03-2019 10:53

Brexit

Due to the last Brexit threads size. I’m starting a new fresh topic and Continuation of Brexit discussion. Prior rules are still in place.

Hugh 19-03-2019 11:01

Re: Brexit(New).

Redwood thinks the Speaker made the right decision

Quote:

the Speaker made the right decision and he united Remain and Leave MPs because we on both sides are very critical of this agreement [Withdrawal Agreement]... it was an entirely neutral judgement."

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 11:07

interestingly, I got my tax summary this morning

my lowest contribution was £150ish which was for the EU , then there was a significant increase to the next lowest which was overseas aid at £250ush

Relative to others are contributions to the EU are teeny.

Hugh 19-03-2019 11:10

James Cleverly (Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party) responded on the Government's behalf about the Bercow ruling (without a trace of irony).

Quote:

"The speaker makes a very fair point that, without changes, the Withdrawal Agreement cannot keep being tabled.

I made the point that, had he made such a statement after the first meaningful vote, it would have informed the decisions of how some MPs voted."
So, MPs may have voted differently had they been aware of all the facts...

Maggy 19-03-2019 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987524)
James Cleverly (Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party) responded on the Government's behalf about the Bercow ruling (without a trace of irony).

:D

Dave42 19-03-2019 11:23

Sky News Politics

Verified account

@SkyNewsPolitics
15m
15 minutes ago

More
"My suspicion is, that this is the end of Brexit."

Tory MP @JGray tells @adamboultonSKY that John Bercow's veto of a third vote on the PM's deal means there is likely to be a "huge" extension to Article 50 and no Brexit.

Damien 19-03-2019 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987524)

I think there were a few MPs those assumed it was coming back a third time so wanted to signal to their membership how against it they were before 'having' to vote for it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :rolleyes:

1andrew1 19-03-2019 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35987528)
Sky News Politics

Verified account

@SkyNewsPolitics
15m
15 minutes ago

More
"My suspicion is, that this is the end of Brexit."

Tory MP @JGray tells @adamboultonSKY that John Bercow's veto of a third vote on the PM's deal means there is likely to be a "huge" extension to Article 50 and no Brexit.

Does that mean no Brexit ever? If so, you wouldn't need an extension.

RichardCoulter 19-03-2019 12:43

It was being discussed on the BBC last night that there may be ways to get around the speakers decision. One was that they might try and persuade the Queen to prorogue Parliament. A new session could then be started afresh and May could try for the third time as it would be classed as the first time in the new Parliament.

Dave42 19-03-2019 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987531)
I think there were a few MPs those assumed it was coming back a third time so wanted to signal to their membership how against it they were before 'having' to vote for it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. :rolleyes:

wonder if the ERG are regretting voting it down now as looking like it gonna come back to bite them in the butt

jfman 19-03-2019 13:03

That’s Theresa writing to Tusk to request an extension. We will be in the European Union on the 30th of March. :)

Mick 19-03-2019 13:08

Nope, law hasn’t changed yet, unless your advocating the law gets broken, until that Statute gets changed, we’re still leaving. Plus, it’s not up to Donald Tusk. 27 other members have to agree, only one veto required to deny the request.

denphone 19-03-2019 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987545)
That’s Theresa writing to Tusk to request an extension. We will be in the European Union on the 30th of March. :)

Absolutely inevitable giving the never ending omnishambles.

Mick 19-03-2019 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35987538)
wonder if the ERG are regretting voting it down now as looking like it gonna come back to bite them in the butt

It won’t and as I have already stated, they were not playing stupid games. May’s deal is not Brexit so quite right they should keep voting against it. From some of their tweets, they have no regrets.

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35987548)
Nope, law hasn’t changed yet, unless your advocating the law gets broken, until that Statute gets changed, we’re still leaving. Plus, it’s not up to Donald Tusk. 27 other members have to agree, only one veto required to deny the request.

Honest question, do you think we will actually leave on the 29th ?

Mick 19-03-2019 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987551)
Absolutely inevitable giving the never ending omnishambles.

Wrong. The law has not changed. So it’s not inevitable at all.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 35987554)
Honest question, do you actually think we will leave on the 29th ?

As it stands I follow the laws of the land. The Statute has that date for leaving, until another Statute appears that changes that date. We are still leaving.

There is a lot of shenanigans and stuff but in the end, it’s just noise.

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35987555)
Wrong. The law has not changed. So it’s not inevitable at all.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

As it stands I follow the laws of the land. The Statute has that date for leaving, until another Statute appears that changes that date. We are still leaving.

There is a lot of shenanigans and stuff but in the end, it’s just noise.

I get that, I'm asking you for your personal opinion on if you think we will leave on the 29th with or without the withdrawal agreement in place.

Not a trick question in any way, just want to understand from someone who's the opposite side of the fence so to speak. :)

Damien 19-03-2019 13:20

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status...88238118121472

Quote:

Cabinet sources say PM is writing letter to EU today asking for extension - frustration that she is going to ask for end date of June 30th, with proviso of up delay of up to 2 years

Mr K 19-03-2019 13:45

3 months or 2 years ? She doesn't sound very 'strong and stable' , she sounds desperate....

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987568)
3 months or 2 years ? She doesn't sound very 'strong and stable' , she sounds desperate....

She'll try and get the vote through hence the three months, if it fails again then GE and a two year extension.

Interesting times

denphone 19-03-2019 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987568)

Wibbly wobbly l would say.....

Damien 19-03-2019 13:57

I think the EU want that. They don't want to have a rolling three months so it's either get it sorted now or have the time to sort something else out.

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987572)
Wibbly wobbly l would say.....

Well, I guess you could compare the entire process to an episode of Noels House Party.......

Hugh 19-03-2019 14:08

https://ico.org.uk/action-weve-taken...leave-limited/
Quote:

Date 19 March 2019
Type Monetary penalties
Sector Political

The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has fined Vote Leave Limited £40,000 for sending out thousands of unsolicited text messages in the run up to the 2016 EU referendum.
https://ico.org.uk/media/action-weve...lty-notice.pdf

jfman 19-03-2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35987548)

It’s arguable whether the law actually facilitates leaving the EU legally if the Government asks for an extension. In any case, it can be amended by statutory instrument immediately following a vote in both Houses. No second readings, no committees. A straightforward yes or no vote.

Damien 19-03-2019 15:36

https://www.civilservicejobs.service...M0NDk2ODhhZA==

Closing date extended eh?

jfman 19-03-2019 16:44

The EU don’t sound like the “cave at the last minute” desperate type here lads.

denphone 19-03-2019 18:06

UK to pay health costs of retired Britons in EU if no deal agreed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...no-deal-agreed

Quote:

The government has thrown a potential £500m Brexit lifeline to 180,000 British pensioners in EU countries outside the UK who rely on the NHS to pay for their healthcare.

Chris 19-03-2019 18:22

I’m sticking my neck out here but on the basis of the information we now have I think we’re heading either for a 30 June extension or No Deal.

The EU will do itself no favours by agreeing a long extension and won’t do us any either. I think they will conclude its time to lance the boil, and I have a sneaking suspicion that May will actually thank them for it.

nomadking 19-03-2019 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987593)
The EU don’t sound like the “cave at the last minute” desperate type here lads.

Why would they, with so many appeasers only too ready and willing to wave the white flag in their direction.

jfman 19-03-2019 18:42

I think the problem with the 30th June extension is what will our politicians, devoid of ideas for two years, come up with in the 'final' three months?

The EU have given us two options (and the ECJ a further one). Britain needs to sort out what type of Brexit it wants and select it, allowing everyone else in the EU to get on with it. The persistent arguments over "what type of Brexit" have to be resolved in some way.

Damien 19-03-2019 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987598)
I’m sticking my neck out here but on the basis of the information we now have I think we’re heading either for a 30 June extension or No Deal.

The EU will do itself no favours by agreeing a long extension and won’t do us any either. I think they will conclude its time to lance the boil, and I have a sneaking suspicion that May will actually thank them for it.

I have no idea. One thing I have heard is the EU will agree a max 2-year extension but one in which we can leave at any time once an agreement is secured, subject to not vetoing anything and participating in EU elections if we're still in.

I think you're right though that if there is no sign of anything being different then they will probably pull the plug. Although thinking about it a long extension will change the dynamic since May would not survive that and nor, imo, would Parliament so an election would be very likely.

jfman 19-03-2019 19:18

How does a 2 year extension and leaving with no deal compare with the Malthouse proposal?

Chris 19-03-2019 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987600)
I think the problem with the 30th June extension is what will our politicians, devoid of ideas for two years, come up with in the 'final' three months?

The EU have given us two options (and the ECJ a further one). Britain needs to sort out what type of Brexit it wants and select it, allowing everyone else in the EU to get on with it. The persistent arguments over "what type of Brexit" have to be resolved in some way.

The same problem exists with the long extension. May doesn’t like Brexit but I think she correctly calculates that it would be electoral suicide not to deliver it. She isn’t about to propose a second referendum or a solution that looks like EEA membership.

“No Brexit” is a bluff to get the ERG on side. I think it’s either her deal or no deal. The problem for her is I think the ERG are willing to call her bluff because they also think it’s her deal or no deal, and they want to bring about the latter.

All these machinations aside, I think the EU27 are likely to end the uncertainty for us by refusing a long extension.

OLD BOY 19-03-2019 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987598)

It'll probably be a 3 month extension and a no deal. They just cannot agree on anything and three months won't change that.

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987600)

Easier said than done, I think, jfman. There's no majority for any course of action as things stand. They should just let no deal happen automatically and start negotiations on the trade deal. Maybe the EU will agree to a protection period to allow trade to continue on the present basis, which will be of benefit to both sides. But I wouldn't stake my life on it.

Mr K 19-03-2019 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987607)
It'll probably be a 3 month extension and a no deal. They just cannot agree on anything and three months won't change that.

Thought you were a TM fanboy OB ? Have faith, I'm sure she's got it all under control, it's all a cunning plan I should think ;)

Hugh 19-03-2019 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987610)
Thought you were a TM fanboy OB ? Have faith, I'm sure she's got it all under control, it's all a cunning plan I should think ;)

Unfortunately, it’s one of Baldrick’s cunning plans...

OLD BOY 19-03-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987610)

My criticism is of the MPs who are standing in the way of delivering the result of the referendum and failing to deliver the manifestos they signed up to. I think Theresa May is the only grown up in the House.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987612)

For all the criticism of Theresa May on these forums, I'd love to hear any cunning plan that would enable the government to deliver the result of the manifesto.

Personally, I'd just let 29 March happen. They had their chance.

jfman 19-03-2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987607)

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Easier said than done, I think, jfman. There's no majority for any course of action as things stand. They should just let no deal happen automatically and start negotiations on the trade deal. Maybe the EU will agree to a protection period to allow trade to continue on the present basis, which will be of benefit to both sides. But I wouldn't stake my life on it.

I agree it’s easier said than done, but something has to give at some point and the uncertainty isn’t doing anyone any good.

No deal will be catastrophic, with illegal tariffs and no leverage in any future negotiations with anyone.

I’m not convinced letting no deal happen because of ineptitude, and essentially sabotage by the ERG, is a price the country should pay. Members of the ERG are on record saying it could be 50 years before we see the economic benefit.

nomadking 19-03-2019 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987616)
I agree it’s easier said than done, but something has to give at some point and the uncertainty isn’t doing anyone any good.

No deal will be catastrophic, with illegal tariffs and no leverage in any future negotiations with anyone.

I’m not convinced letting no deal happen because of ineptitude, and essentially sabotage by the ERG, is a price the country should pay. Members of the ERG are on record saying it could be 50 years before we see the economic benefit.

Would love to know what the Leave side are meant to have done to give a "no deal", that the Remain side haven't done and more. Both Leave and Remain voted against the Withdrawal Agreement(ie under the EUs thumb).

jfman 19-03-2019 20:27

Re: Brexit (New).

As a separate post- the timescale for changing “exit day” and confirmation that failure to do so would leave the UK in breach of international treaty obligations as an EU member state if the Government extends and Parliament doesn’t.

https://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/bl...ory-instrument

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35987620)
Would love to know what the Leave side are meant to have done to give a "no deal", that the Remain side haven't done and more. Both Leave and Remain voted against the Withdrawal Agreement(ie under the EUs thumb).

The ERG and DUP voted against the deal. That means they in effect voted for no deal. We know remainers want to remain, but the fact is the May deal would have passed last week with ERG and DUP backing.

They didn’t back it because they don’t want any deal.

nomadking 19-03-2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987621)
As a separate post- the timescale for changing “exit day” and confirmation that failure to do so would leave the UK in breach of international treaty obligations as an EU member state if the Government extends and Parliament doesn’t.

https://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/bl...ory-instrument

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

The ERG and DUP voted against the deal. That means they in effect voted for no deal. We know remainers want to remain, but the fact is the May deal would have passed last week with ERG and DUP backing.

They didn’t back it because they don’t want any deal.

And that's the only thing they've done? Remain supporters ALSO voted against it in order to try(for the umpteenth time) and force a Remain situation.

jfman 19-03-2019 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35987623)
And that's the only thing they've done? Remain supporters ALSO voted against it in order to try(for the umpteenth time) and force a Remain situation.

The opposition parties will always play politics. The Government should be able to trust it’s own party members to work towards a consensus. Even where it means compromise.

That’s how the game works week in week out. Why would Brexit be any different?

Tory MPs plus confidence and supply partners plus Labour leavers = majority.

Remainers are under no obligation to deliver Brexit. Nor should they be. On no other matter would such a ludicrous situation apply.

nomadking 19-03-2019 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987624)
The opposition parties will always play politics. The Government should be able to trust it’s own party members to work towards a consensus. Even where it means compromise.

That’s how the game works week in week out. Why would Brexit be any different?

Tory MPs plus confidence and supply partners plus Labour leavers = majority.

Remainers are under no obligation to deliver Brexit. Nor should they be. On no other matter would such a ludicrous situation apply.

So that's the sum total of Leave have done? So how are they supposed to have blocked an orderly Brexit, when the votes were so recent?

Are you saying that Labour etc are simply playing politics and putting the country at great risk, which you claim the Leave side are doing?

jfman 19-03-2019 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35987625)
So that's the sum total of Leave have done? So how are they supposed to have blocked an orderly Brexit, when the votes were so recent?

Are you saying that Labour etc are simply playing politics and putting the country at great risk, which you claim the Leave side are doing?

The country isn’t at risk because oppositions oppose Governments. Governments put countries at risk by not governing responsibly.

Leave MPs cost Theresa May her deal. The fact it could have been voted on three times with three drastically different results shows who is playing games. It’s either a good deal or a bad deal. There’s no unicorn.

Pierre 19-03-2019 21:14

As i posted in the old thread. Why at this point would the EU27 grant extension?

Now that parliament can’t vote on the deal, and the EU wont change the deal.

Where is there any way to go? Tell me what you think are the possible options. Given those constraints.

Damien 19-03-2019 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35987627)
As i posted in the old thread. Why at this point would the EU27 grant extension?

Now that parliament can’t vote on the deal, and the EU wont change the deal.

Where is there any way to go? Tell me what you think are the possible options. Given those constraints.

The EU granting a short extension might qualify as a different deal. Allowing the government to bring it back. Even if they didn't and MPs wanted to vote on it then they themselves can vote to allow the bill to be brought back to the house.

Alternatively they could grant a longer one if there was a referendum or a general election. I think a long extension would lead to a general election anyway.

jfman 19-03-2019 21:47

A General Election throws everything back up as an option. It’d be loads of fun.

Mick 19-03-2019 21:57

Sorry, John Bercow used a 415 year old precedent yesterday and the same concept cannot be voted on twice. That rules out Extending A50 for 2nd Referendum, this was Amendment H from The Independent Group that was voted heavily against.

ianch99 19-03-2019 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987612)

That's a bit "over the top"? :)

Damien 19-03-2019 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35987631)
Sorry, John Bercow used a 415 year old precedent yesterday and the same concept cannot be voted on twice. That rules out Extending A50 for 2nd Referendum, this was Amendment H from The Independent Group that was voted heavily against.

The same deal actually, May's deal conditional on a 2nd referendum could qualify as a different deal. It's entirely up to the speaker on what qualifies as changed or even if he decides to forget the whole thing and allow it.

Or Parliament can override his decision.

jfman 19-03-2019 22:07

He has allowed things to be voted on twice, it’s how he defines “substantively different” that has varied. If he accepts a deal or proposal is different, then the principle should apply to putting any amendments to a new proposal.

Also only applies during a session of Parliament. The two year session ends this summer.

Pierre 19-03-2019 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987629)
The EU granting a short extension might qualify as a different deal.

How? Extending the deadline doesn’t Materially change the content of the deal. Sorry that’s a non-starter. Not sure how you reasoned that one out.

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987630)
A General Election throws everything back up as an option. It’d be loads of fun.

No it doesn’t.

Damien 19-03-2019 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35987635)
How? Extending the deadline doesn’t Materially change the content of the deal. Sorry that’s a non-starter. Not sure how you reasoned that one out.

No but it might change the politics of the deal and that's all that we're really talking about here. Parliament can force a vote on May's deal if they want it. Bercow might also lose his nerve if he thinks his ban cannot hold in which case a superficial change would likely be enough of a ladder for him to climb down. The bill becomes a vote for the extension to be short or longer for example.

In the end who knows? None of these are immutable laws of physics.

jfman 19-03-2019 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35987635)
No it doesn’t.

Depending on who wins, and what smaller parties may influence in a confidence and supply arrangement, of course it does.

If the arithmetic allows smaller “2nd referendum“ parties prop up old Jezza and his “jobs first Brexit” on condition he puts it to the vote vs remain then that’s what happens. That’s the sovereign power we want to wrestle from Brussels to Westminster.

Note: that’s not what I think would happen just an example.

In another hypothetical if May treats it as a referendum on her deal and returns 400 MPs then the ERG/DUP would struggle to legitimately block her.

Note: I don’t think that’ll happen either.

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987637)
No but it might change the politics of the deal and that's all that we're really talking about here. Parliament can force a vote on May's deal if they want it. Bercow might also lose his nerve if he thinks his ban cannot hold in which case a superficial change would likely be enough of a ladder for him to climb down. The bill becomes a vote for the extension to be short or longer for example.

In the end who knows? None of these are immutable laws of physics.

It’s hard to know what Bercow’s precise intent was. If he’s perceiving TM as using the deadline to bully Parliament then the extension is a material change - being asked to vote on her deal in April with and end of June exit day doesn’t have the same effect.

Equally if there’s a reasonable period to a new deadline and it’s obvious that the ERG/DUP would back a deal (plus Labour leavers) he could take the view the protocols aren’t there to deny Parliament from ruling on matters it has come to an opinion on under less onerous circumstances.

As you say, without being a mind reader...

Pierre 19-03-2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987637)
No but it might change the politics of the deal and that's all that we're really talking about here.

Actually we’re not. Bercow has stated there must be a substantive change to the content of the WA. To progress it in Parliament. But the EU will not give such a change.

Quote:

Parliament can force a vote on May's deal if they want it.
. Not if it isn’t before them......which bercow is preventing.

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987640)
Depending on who wins, and what smaller parties may influence in a confidence and supply arrangement, of course it does.

If the arithmetic allows smaller “2nd referendum“ parties prop up old Jezza and his “jobs first Brexit” on condition he puts it to the vote vs remain then that’s what happens. That’s the sovereign power we want to wrestle from Brussels to Westminster.

Note: that’s not what I think would happen just an example.

Ramblings of a madman! Have some cheese.

jfman 19-03-2019 23:05

I’m unsure ramblings of a madman fits the respectful discussion we’ve been asked for on multiple occasions so I’ll not respond to that. Already had three holidays thanks to others.

Nobody can predict the next General Election if it happens pre-Brexit. Both main parties would be at risk of imploding from their divisions and everyone treating it as a leadership contest. The two biggest parties will still be the two biggest parties, but who is the next PM in waiting after JC/TM is disposed of, and if it requires smaller parties to cobble over the finish line could see plenty of unexpected outcomes.

Parliament can vote to waive the standing orders used by Bercow. In essence a vote to permit a vote. You seem to let your opinion of your desired outcome cloud objectivity.

Damien 20-03-2019 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35987642)
Not if it isn’t before them......which bercow is preventing.

Yes they can. Parliament can vote to override the speaker’s decision. And in the end the speaker is only likely to block it so long as Parliament largely consents otherwise it erodes his strength.

Chris 20-03-2019 07:03

No long delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

Quote:

Theresa May will not be asking the EU for a long delay when she formally requests that Brexit is postponed.
Number 10 said the PM shared the public's "frustration" at Parliament's "failure to take a decision".
I think this is a play for Labour votes. The implication is that she knows the ERG won’t come around in sufficient numbers but that the genuine prospect of No Deal in June will scare enough opposition MPs into backing her.

OLD BOY 20-03-2019 07:16

A long delay would be impractical. I cannot see the EU granting any delay beyond the European elections. Maybe that, at last, will focus minds. It means we have to get either deal or no deal through before then, leaving sufficient time to pass the necessary legislation.

jfman 20-03-2019 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987651)
No long delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47636011

I think this is a play for Labour votes. The implication is that she knows the ERG won’t come around in sufficient numbers but that the genuine prospect of No Deal in June will scare enough opposition MPs into backing her.

Depends what options the EU put in front of her. Long delay or no delay and she’s already tied to the former.

What we have learned from this process is that “strong and stable” Government is the “coalition of chaos” and we are going to get whatever the 27 EU leaders agree upon.

Chris 20-03-2019 07:35

I think you’re grasping. Everything we have heard from the EU says they won’t grant any extension without a concrete plan. If she’s not even going to ask for a long extension, why exactly are they going to give her one, with or without options?

No, it’s chicken time. May’s deal or no deal. It will be interesting to see what that prospect shakes out of the tree.

jfman 20-03-2019 07:44

I think we know what it shakes. May’s deal.

The variable is that it’s the leaders of the EU27 by unanimous agreement on any extension. Until now everything has been delegated to Barnier/Juncker/Tusk.

The EU benefits from the uncertainty in the UK. A nine month or longer extension brings May’s government down and potentially resets any negotiations. What better way to demonstrate to other countries that leaving is a bad idea?

I think you are potentially right and they’re bored of it now. The EU stood firm and we blinked.

OLD BOY 20-03-2019 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987654)
I think you’re grasping. Everything we have heard from the EU says they won’t grant any extension without a concrete plan. If she’s not even going to ask for a long extension, why exactly are they going to give her one, with or without options?

No, it’s chicken time. May’s deal or no deal. It will be interesting to see what that prospect shakes out of the tree.

I think they will give her a short extension to give TM the time to put the legislation in place, but that is all.

It will be Theresa May's deal if she can get it through by 29 March. Otherwise no deal, here we come.

jfman 20-03-2019 07:47

The one certainty is that it’s not going to be no deal. We’ve shown ourselves as completely unprepared. There will be a General Election before that.

ianch99 20-03-2019 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987658)
I think they will give her a short extension to give TM the time to put the legislation in place, but that is all.

It will be Theresa May's deal if she can get it through by 29 March. Otherwise no deal, here we come.

But her MV would need to be substantially changed to pass the Bercow test. Does adding a short extension qualify?

Damien 20-03-2019 07:50

There is no alternative to no deal if there is no deal

jfman 20-03-2019 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35987662)
But her MV would need to be substantially changed to pass the Bercow test. Does adding a short extension qualify?

The next session of Parliament is expected to start in May after which his ruling doesn’t apply.

On top of that MPs can vote to bypass the rule.

That’s if he implemented the rule. Thus far he’s just spoke from the Chair, acknowledging it’s unlikely to be his last word on the matter.

Chris 20-03-2019 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987659)
The one certainty is that it’s not going to be no deal. We’ve shown ourselves as completely unprepared. There will be a General Election before that.

Again, you’re grasping. Did you read May’s statement this morning? She’s appealing to public frustration as justification for just getting Brexit done. These aren’t the words of someone angling for time to hold an election.

jfman 20-03-2019 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987665)
Again, you’re grasping. Did you read May’s statement this morning? She’s appealing to public frustration as justification for just getting Brexit done. These aren’t the words of someone angling for time to hold an election.

The one thing I give no weight to is the words of a Prime Minister of a government in paralysis. She will do what the EU wants, paying whatever price they ask us to pay. We’ve no cards left to play.

“No deal is better than a bad deal”, until we didn’t pass the necessary legislation anyway despite having two years.

ianch99 20-03-2019 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987664)
The next session of Parliament is expected to start in May after which his ruling doesn’t apply.

On top of that MPs can vote to bypass the rule.

That’s if he implemented the rule. Thus far he’s just spoke from the Chair, acknowledging it’s unlikely to be his last word on the matter.

A new session would require a Queen's Speech to be passed (I think) which could be a new obstacle to overcome.

I get the MP vote to overrule but how can that pass when the ERG want No Deal?

denphone 20-03-2019 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987666)
The one thing I give no weight to is the words of a Prime Minister of a government in paralysis. She will do what the EU wants, paying whatever price they ask us to pay. We’ve no cards left to play.

“No deal is better than a bad deal”, until we didn’t pass the necessary legislation anyway despite having two years.

l thought this was a good tweet this morning from Nick Robinson.

Quote:

This is government by Mutually Assured Destruction. One Cabinet faction threatens to resign if we Leave without a deal. Another faction threatens to resign if we Remain beyond June.

1andrew1 20-03-2019 08:12

What are Theresa's May's choices if the EU say yes to her extension request?
- Keep on plugging away at something akin to her current deal but with a slight modification so it can be voted on again.
- Come up with a softer deal that will around some of the opposition.
- Preside over a disastrous no-deal.
- Resign and ask for another extension.

mrmistoffelees 20-03-2019 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987665)

Now you're grasping. Historically May has shown she is capable of saying one thing and reversing that decision in the next breath.

Damien 20-03-2019 08:51

What no one seems to be talking about is that May's deal is only buying time to get us a proper deal so whose going to be doing that? I don't see the Government surviving for too long so it's unlikely to be May doing it. Corbyn? A new Tory leader?

mrmistoffelees 20-03-2019 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987675)
What no one seems to be talking about is that May's deal is only buying time to get us a proper deal so whose going to be doing that? I don't see the Government surviving for too long so it's unlikely to be May doing it. Corbyn? A new Tory leader?

A proper deal? Are the EU suddenly prepared to change their minds and reopen negotiations despite them standing resolute for the past couple of years?

The EU has a whole will find no deal whilst painful easier to accommodate than the UK

Damien 20-03-2019 08:58

Well after this becomes 'what is the future arrangement going to be'?

Maggy 20-03-2019 09:03

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...vPcQOnSjbAG5TQ

Interesting article.

mrmistoffelees 20-03-2019 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987678)
Well after this becomes 'what is the future arrangement going to be'?

You think the EU are going to have a change of heart because of the UK"s complete and utter incompetence?

Damien 20-03-2019 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 35987680)
You think the EU are going to have a change of heart because of the UK"s complete and utter incompetence?

What? May's deal is the terms on which we exit but not the future arrangement, that was always to come later.

mrmistoffelees 20-03-2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987681)
What? May's deal is the terms on which we exit but not the future arrangement, that was always to come later.

The withdrawal agreement is highly unlikely to be passed in it's current form, the EU have said it's not open to renegotiation.

You're now focusing on swimming when we currently can't even inflate the armbands

Chris 20-03-2019 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 35987672)
Now you're grasping. Historically May has shown she is capable of saying one thing and reversing that decision in the next breath.

Not really. What nobody seems to be willing to consider here is that the UK, Teresa May and our dysfunctional parliament are not the beginning and the end of the show here. There is the small matter of 27 other heads of government and the European Union, none of whom have inexhaustible patience and all of whom have had their own energies sapped by May’s indecision and Parliament’s intransigence.

They have absolutely no reason to agree to a long extension unless the UK justifies it with a concrete plan to clear the impasse. The opportunity to present that plan is now - and she’s not done it. The EU has absolutely no incentive at all to grant an extension beyond June.

What May says and what May does are now only a small part of the equation.

jfman 20-03-2019 09:36

The entertainment value? Financial flight to then EU amid ongoing uncertainty? To shore up their own no deal contingency plans? To topple May’s government?

mrmistoffelees 20-03-2019 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987685)
Not really. What nobody seems to be willing to consider here is that the UK, Teresa May and our dysfunctional parliament are not the beginning and the end of the show here. There is the small matter of 27 other heads of government and the European Union, none of whom have inexhaustible patience and all of whom have had their own energies sapped by May’s indecision and Parliament’s intransigence.

They have absolutely no reason to agree to a long extension unless the UK justifies it with a concrete plan to clear the impasse. The opportunity to present that plan is now - and she’s not done it. The EU has absolutely no incentive at all to grant an extension beyond June.

What May says and what May does are now only a small part of the equation.

Making assumptions about what people are or are not considering is dangerous...

May & Parliament are the beginning and of the show right now, right now they are the biggest part of the equation. that focus will obviously shift

The EU is more than capable however of looking to the future and I think would love nothing more than the UK to rescind A50 as it can be used to show other nations should they in the future contemplate leaving

jfman 20-03-2019 09:55

With the Tories wanting a short delay the EU should insist on a long one or no deal on March 29th. The panic in Government would be priceless. I’d say the odds of riscinding would hit 50-50.

Damien 20-03-2019 09:58

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status...01413376053248

Quote:

Am hearing moves afoot for an emergency SO24 Commons debate with a potential vote forcing May to rewrite EU letter to include longer extension option. Bercow hinted SO24 rules could be bent earlier this week to make it substantive not neutral notion. Expect fresh govt panic.

Hugh 20-03-2019 10:03

Quote:

katya adler
@BBCkatyaadler

EU sounding the alarm: THEY HAVE NOT YET RECEIVED THE PMs LETTER -EU Diplomats saying: How can 27 leaders be expected to reach a unanimous decision on PM’s #Brexit extension request with only hours to go before tomorrow’s EU summit and still no official notice from No10..?

9:32 AM - 20 Mar 2019
I wonder if she gave it to Grayling to send, and he has sent it 2nd Class Post?

Mr K 20-03-2019 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987690)
I wonder if she gave it to Grayling to send, and he has sent it 2nd Class Post?

Or didn't put a stamp on....

Hugh 20-03-2019 10:20

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...3&d=1553077204

denphone 20-03-2019 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987692)

Perhaps he is letting the train take the strain although he has to reply on it turning up in the first place.

Hugh 20-03-2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35987695)
Perhaps he is letting the train take the strain although he has to reply on it turning up in the first place.

Or it's on one of the ferries (that didn't exist) he was going to hire?

OLD BOY 20-03-2019 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35987671)
What are Theresa's May's choices if the EU say yes to her extension request?
- Keep on plugging away at something akin to her current deal but with a slight modification so it can be voted on again.
- Come up with a softer deal that will around some of the opposition.
- Preside over a disastrous no-deal.
- Resign and ask for another extension.

It will focus minds. The remainers will finally have to acknowledge that if they vote down the deal now, with so little time left, no deal will be inevitable.

There will be no soft Brexit. The Customs Union idea means we don't leave, and it has already been voted down.

A no-deal will not be disastrous. It will be an opportunity.

There will be no resignation, and I think the EU will only grant this small extension. So it really is TM's way or the highway, like it or lump it.

jfman 20-03-2019 10:45

Old Boy you are following the flawed narrative that no deal is inevitable without this deal. That is simply not the case.

I do agree though it’s a huge opportunity for disaster capitalists and American companies who want further privatisation of the NHS etc.

papa smurf 20-03-2019 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987693)

Is that your business suit your wearing in the photo.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987692)

It's delaying tactic she knows it'll take the Eu 12 years to work out who pays for the postage.

Hugh 20-03-2019 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35987706)
Is that your business suit your wearing in the photo.

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

It's delaying tactic she knows it'll take the Eu 12 years to work out who pays for the postage.

Don't judge me by your dress standards... ;)

ianch99 20-03-2019 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35987679)

Very. The conclusion is telling:

Quote:

All this should be seen as domestic incompetence. The EU has, from day one, been reasonably accommodating and consistent in its vision for where negotiations would lead. Both sides agreed to the sequencing, both sides agreed to the inclusion of a backstop within the withdrawal agreement. Both sides tried their hardest to obey referendum-induced red lines, which in the end proved impossible to square.

The cold, hard fact of Brexit is that the hardliners poked and pushed so hard that they eventually rendered their dream unrealisable. Any and all leave voters ought to feel let down and disappointed by their actions. When opportunities for leaving presented themselves, hardliner MPs blocked them off.

In the end, the hard Brexiteer perfectionists bedazzled by cake and unicorns proved to be the obstacle that Brexit itself could not hurdle.
Written by a former Vote Leave staffer ..

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35987704)
I do agree though it’s a huge opportunity for disaster capitalists and American companies who want further privatisation of the NHS etc.

This has always been the case. The ERG, led by a certain Mr Mogg, seek to achieve a UK where they and their friends in business can maximise their profits at the expense of the general population.

Let's be very clear here: the ERG do not give a monkeys about the unemployed Leave voters in the North East of England.

papa smurf 20-03-2019 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35987716)
Very. The conclusion is telling:

Written by a former Vote Leave staffer ..

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

This has always been the case. The ERG, led by a certain Mr Mogg, seek to achieve a UK where they and their friends in business can maximise their profits at the expense of the general population.

Let's be very clear here: the ERG do not give a monkeys about the unemployed Leave voters in the North East of England.

Do you have any proof of this allegation ?

1andrew1 20-03-2019 12:26

Breaking per FT: EU pushing back against 30th June Brexit extension; offering 23rd May.

jfman 20-03-2019 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35987720)
Do you have any proof of this allegation ?

At least you didn’t oppose the other point:

Chris 20-03-2019 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35987722)
Breaking per FT: EU pushing back against 30th June Brexit extension; offering 23rd May.

Good.

The shorter the better.