Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   ASUS RT-AC88U providing unstable and incomplete service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706981)

roughbeast 24-10-2018 20:45

ASUS RT-AC88U providing unstable and incomplete service

I recently had to replace my AC88U with another after the WAN port died and ceased to pick up a connection through my Virgin Media Superhub 3 (modem-only mode). I made sure that I saved the current settings so that my stable arrangements continued.

As soon as my replacement arrived I set it up with default settings without any LAN connection. Bit by bit I added network components, such as switches, clients, media and my old N66U in AP mode. All seemed well until my family tried to connect from their devices by Ethernet and wifi.

1) Devices dropped internet connection even though connected to the router by Ethernet.
2) Devices dropped internet connection even though connected to the router by wifi.
3) Virgin Media 'On Demand' and 'Catch up' ,which require an internet connection , became inaccessible.
4) My Kodi boxes failed to connect to the AC88U media server, but could access the N66U media server via the AC88U!
5) My Kodi boxes could not connect to my cloud media via Livedrive
6) My pal in Kefalonia could connect to my VPN server but could no longer stream BBC iPlayer content.
7) My FON hotspot went off line even though it was a visible client.

All these problems can be temporarily put right by rebooting my modem and the AC88U simultaneously and then rebooting devices and/or by disabling and re-enabling network adaptors. After a while the problems re-appear.

I have tried everything including reinstating my old settings, restoring factory settings and starting again and by allocating ip addresses manually. Bizarrely, if I reinstate my old N66U as the DCHP server, the network runs smoothly. This is not a permanent solution because the AC88U has features and capacity unavailable on the N66U.

Has anyone any ideas as to what might be the issue? 1) Firmware issues? 2) Faulty kit?

videodj 24-10-2018 21:33

Re: ASUS RT-AC88U providing unstable and incomplete service

I'd say it's faulty, I brought an Asus router last year, had nothin but problems, so replaced with a Netgear Night Hawk, and my network has been rock solid since. I won't touch Asus routers again.

roughbeast 24-10-2018 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by videodj (Post 35967862)
I'd say it's faulty, I brought an Asus router last year, had nothin but problems, so replaced with a Netgear Night Hawk, and my network has been rock solid since. I won't touch Asus routers again.

I am beginning to wonder.

What VPN server protocols has the Night Hawk? Does it do iMesh?

alanbjames 25-10-2018 09:54

I had a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000. One of the worst routers i had. I had it 10 months, since the outset i saw a 10% decrease in wifi speed, browsing was sluggish and if u need to update router settings the entire router has to reboot each time.

I got so annoyed with it i took a hammer to it and its the best thing i could have done for the Netgear was to put it out of its misery.

I replaced for an Asus AC86U and all now is well, i had the AC87u before i bought the netgear but it packed in, wouldnt power on.

Hom3r 25-10-2018 21:22

I bought the AC88U but got zero wifi downstairs, so I returned it to Amazon, and bought a Netgear Nighthawk X6, so far so good.

roughbeast 27-10-2018 14:58

Things are looking up.

Someone in another forum told me that, because the AC88U has two internal switches to service the 8 ethernet ports, we need to take care what ports we use. It is better to put your key network cables in ports 1-4 or in 5-8, not to mix them. That advice seems to be correct. I now have a stable the system. Services are running normally.

This begs the question: What do I do if I need more than 4 switches to run a larger network?

heero_yuy 27-10-2018 16:28

The general advice is to build your network pyramid like, not daisy chain to get the maximum throughput.

alanbjames 27-10-2018 21:23

I'm gonna have to get that Egyptian friend of mine in for a few ideas then.

Uncle Peter 29-10-2018 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 35968226)
Things are looking up.

Someone in another forum told me that, because the AC88U has two internal switches to service the 8 ethernet ports, we need to take care what ports we use. It is better to put your key network cables in ports 1-4 or in 5-8, not to mix them. That advice seems to be correct. I now have a stable the system. Services are running normally.

This begs the question: What do I do if I need more than 4 switches to run a larger network?

According to the specs yep there's a broadcom set and a realtek set in 2 banks of 4Ge ports. Something's obviously dodgy, most probably the firmware which would come as no great surprise.

Have you checked the cpu utilisation when it's playing up? ssh to the thing and run 'top'. Toggle between the cores with 1 to see if there are any problems.

Btw if you were ever in a situation where your network had some kind of requirement for 4x physical switches then the first place to put that Asus thing would be ebay or in the bin ;)