Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Doctor Who (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698617)

Hugh 11-08-2014 20:24

Doctor Who

Trailer for the new series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Fhr-HapZE

Russ 23-08-2014 21:09

Re: Doctor Who General Discussion

Could Jenna Coleman get any more annoying? She was a bad distraction in an otherwise good episode.

Stephen 23-08-2014 21:15

I loved the new theme, very odd but a lot more Who like. Loved the new titles.

Scottish accent is fantastic and loved the jokes about it and them sounding English.

Also though Clara was actually better now, she seems to work better with Capaldi.

Russ 23-08-2014 21:20

Her performances in the 'restaurant' and underground chamber almost made want to switch off, I really hope this isn't a new direction they're taking her in.

Paul 23-08-2014 21:33

I dont really mind her.
If the rumours are true, she is leaving soon, so you should be happy.

I find this doctor acting all weird after a regeneration a bit tiresome now.

peanut 23-08-2014 21:35

What a load of crap for an opener. Though probably would be fine for 12 year olds.

Chris 23-08-2014 21:38

Loved it from start to finish, as did the rest of the family. I thought there was some obvious chemistry between Jenna Coleman and Peter Capaldi which bodes well for the series to come.

Stephen 23-08-2014 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35723836)
What a load of crap for an opener. Though probably would be fine for 12 year olds.

You do realise it is aimed at families/kids? Always has been.

I personally loved everything about it. So glad to finally have an older Doctor again.

One thing that confused me was Clara fraking out over the Doctor looking older. She has met all versions of the Doctor so it shouldn't be a shock that his look is so different.

peanut 23-08-2014 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35723841)
You do realise it is aimed at families/kids? Always has been. .

Crap as in crap acting, crap fight scenes, crap story, crap CGI, for an opener it was dire. Each to their own an all that.

Stephen 23-08-2014 22:25

I thought the opposite for all of that.

Maggy 23-08-2014 23:20

A bit too surreal for me.Hopefully next week's will be less confusing.

Maggy 24-08-2014 08:58

Oh and a little less of the 'affair' with female companions would suit me far more..lets have an adventure and stuff the romance. Oh and the Doctor threatening to kill people/lifeforms? Perlease.I remember Layla who wanted to kill everyone and Who was the one who kept telling her off..

Stephen 24-08-2014 12:06

The doctor has killed people before although he doesn't do it unless a last resort.

They have stated there will be no romance this time.

Next weeks maybe a little weird too. It's called into the Dalek.

Stuart 24-08-2014 13:21

I liked it.

Good acting, especially Jenna's performance when the Doctor almost sacrificed Clara.

Good story as well, it was funny where it needed to be, but also a little unnerving where it needed to be. Steven Moffat seems to be keen to explore the darker side of the Doctor, and I loved the bit where Capaldi was recognising everything as Clara, except Clara.

Good, if a little obscure, references to the earlier Moffat stories as well. In fact, this story almost seemed like a sequel to one of them.

Looking forward to next weeks. Good to see a show that has good SFX etc, but doesn't forget that you need a good story to use them on.

Mick Fisher 24-08-2014 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35723844)
Crap as in crap acting, crap fight scenes, crap story, crap CGI, for an opener it was dire. Each to their own an all that.

Typical arty farty self indulgent Beeb crap. This show used to be fun but the story lines are usually so obtuse these days it is a chore to watch. Yes I agree Jenna is intensely annoying. I hope it is true that she is on her way out. How do the lesbians add to the mix. Just the Beeb being PC I expect. I thought Capaldi was disappointing, maybe he will stop hamming it up so much and grow into the role?

adzii_nufc 25-08-2014 03:01

Forgot it was on and caught it on catch up. Dire stuff and 40 minutes alone was wasted on him being confused. Can't recall having complained once about an episode until now. I liked the idea of capaldi but I'm having second thoughts, watch next weeks and give it a proper go given the regeneration nonsense is over.

v0id 25-08-2014 03:04

I was expecting a huge packet of Chewits when I saw that dinosaur :D

Pierre 27-08-2014 22:25

Re: Doctor Who : Season 8

The dinosaur was there purely for impact. " a tyrannosaur in London" it gave little to the story.

But I like Capaldi, I think he will be great Doctor.

Matt Smithnwas not required.

I like the Sontaren, but not the other two

The ending intrigued me.

I do hope they keep it simple this time

Pierre 30-08-2014 23:14

Good episode this week.

I assume the male teacher will be the new assistant.

This " heaven" thing will be the season arc.

Paul 31-08-2014 01:11

Well I guess it was ok, better than last weeks.

Not sure why you think the teacher will be the new assistant, but I suspect you are correct about the heaven thing.

Mick Fisher 31-08-2014 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35725424)
Well I guess it was ok, better than last weeks.

Yep....

I found it a bit tedious to watch due to the predictabilty of it all.

Please lets have something original instead of continually writing Eps around what is already languishing in the props cupboard.

Stephen 31-08-2014 14:48

Yet again I totally enjoyed it.

Inside a Dalek was a new interesting idea imo.

Pierre 31-08-2014 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35725424)

Not sure why you think the teacher will be the new assistant, but I suspect you are correct about the heaven thing.

Just that he turned down that other woman because she was a soldier.

He's a soldier with a conscience, he can be introduced to the doctor by Clara.

I'm probably wrong but it all fits.

Just a question to the whophiles amongst us, what happened to the new technicolor daleks?

BenMcr 31-08-2014 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35725556)
Just a question to the whophiles amongst us, what happened to the new technicolor daleks?

I think the programme is pretending they don't exist anymore

Watch the Extra episode and they gloss right over them.

Chris 31-08-2014 19:51

The teletubby daleks were a disaster, and they have been steadily fading them further into the background until they have now, hooray, disappeared completely.

The daleks were a design classic and were almost unchanged from 1963 onwards. Quite why they thought they should suddenly pimp them was a mystery to me, but I'm glad they were big enough to realise they were wrong and on balance I'm glad they've faded them out rather than feeling obliged to create a convoluted on-screen reason.

Russ 06-09-2014 21:20

Not sure this season is really doing it for me. The supporting characters are totally unrealistic, the actors playing them just look like university students in costumes and totally unrealistic ones at that. Makes it difficult to suspend disbelief and buy in to the storylines.

Pierre 06-09-2014 23:31

I thought tonight's was classic "who" from even before the reboot.

I think Capaldi is getting better, for me, much more watchable than Matt Smith.

I liked tonight's.

Chris 07-09-2014 09:38

That episode was like Douglas Adams era Tom Baker stuff. Our family loved it.

dilli-theclaw 07-09-2014 09:42

Last night's was the first one I liked from this series.

Mick Fisher 07-09-2014 18:12

I'm trying, not very sucessfully as yet, to work up the enthusiasm to watch it. :(

Stephen 07-09-2014 19:56

Another great episode. This series is really shaping up to be the best yet.

Next weeks sounds really interesting and having read the script should be really great.

Paul 07-09-2014 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35727064)
Last night's was the first one I liked from this series.

Ditto, I really liked this one.

Even though I love the Daleks, I thought last weeks was a bit "meh" at best, last nights was much better.

Mick Fisher 08-09-2014 15:55

Well I did watch it in the end.

Once I got over the "Oh no, not Robin Hood again" moment and it got going, I have to say I quite enjoyed it.

Definately the best Ep and Capaldi's best performance so far.

Why was Robin and his merry men so "camp"? Am I missing a trick here? I thought I had it figured out but right at the end Maid Marion shows up and my theory went down in flames :)

Stephen 08-09-2014 17:12

Robin Hood is camp. See the Erroll Flynn movies. BBC version. Was also pretty camp.

martyh 08-09-2014 18:55

Having just finished watching all the episodes since the reboot it is clear that all the actors take a few episodes to find their feet and develop the character Capaldi will be no different ,a slow start but getting better

Stephen 14-09-2014 16:20

Another great performance from Capaldi. Fast becoming my fav Doctor since the comeback.

Although seems Moffat is making Clara the most important companion ever. She told him to choose that TARDIS. She now is the reason for the scary hand under the bed too.

Pierre 14-09-2014 21:21

It was very good.

Started very good, it's amazing how scary someone under a blanket can be.

Got a bit " meh" at the end, but Capaldi is captivating as the Doctor. Good times ahead.......with the right material.

Russ 14-09-2014 21:30

The most boring and tedious episode I've ever seen. I'm really hoping it gets better than this, Capaldi showed promise to begin with but I'm having a tough time seeing him fit the role.

Mick Fisher 15-09-2014 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35728927)
The most boring and tedious episode I've ever seen. I'm really hoping it gets better than this, Capaldi showed promise to begin with but I'm having a tough time seeing him fit the role.

^ This!

martyh 15-09-2014 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35728849)
Another great performance from Capaldi. Fast becoming my fav Doctor since the comeback.

Although seems Moffat is making Clara the most important companion ever. She told him to choose that TARDIS. She now is the reason for the scary hand under the bed too.

I would agree with that and say that it is a mistake ,it seems to me that the Doctor is taking somewhat of a back seat to Clara

Paul 16-09-2014 12:28

I didnt find it boring or tedious, but a bit confusing in places. Did Orson know who Clara was ? (assuming she actually is his great grandmother).

Paul 22-09-2014 16:06

So, another somewhat confusing episode.

I hope this isnt a trend, I could not follow what the hell was going on for part of this.

Mick Fisher 22-09-2014 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35730688)
So, another somewhat confusing episode. I hope this isnt a trend, I could not follow what the hell was going on for part of this.

I gave it 20 minutes before deleting it and cancelling the series link.

From its peak with Tennant's Doctor and Rose Tyler it has now degraded to incomprehensible garbage and seems to be purely an ego trip for the writers who try to outdo each other in the incomprehensibility stakes each week.

Anyway no more Saturday masochism for me.

Stephen 22-09-2014 18:22

Oh well each to their own.

I've been totally loving them all and think it's the best series in a good few years.

Chris 22-09-2014 19:03

All loved it in our house ...

Pierre 27-09-2014 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35725410)
Good episode this week.

I assume the male teacher will be the new assistant.

This " heaven" thing will be the season arc.

Nothing I have seen to think I am wrong....yet.

Russ 05-10-2014 15:50

Am about to watch last night's episode. I'm hoping the fact they filmed it on the beach down by me will enable to see it through to the end - something I was unable to do with the past 2 episodes. Not really impressed with this series yet.

Chris 05-10-2014 17:08

Man, last night's was hard viewing - dark, claustrophobic, kind of reminded me of Alien, and not just because of the immediate subject matter.

martyh 05-10-2014 19:22

I think this series will go down as the worst ever ,Capaldi doesn't seem to be settling into the role imo and Coleman just irritates me

Russ 05-10-2014 19:34

Agreed - although last night's episode wasn't too bad.

Stephen 05-10-2014 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35733113)
I think this series will go down as the worst ever ,Capaldi doesn't seem to be settling into the role imo and Coleman just irritates me

Must be watching two different series then. I have loved every episode and think its been Capaldi that has been the best thing about them.

I find Clara is so much better this season and its down to working so much better with the new doctor.

Chris 05-10-2014 21:39

This series has been consistently well received so far, audience appreciation ratings in the mid 80s and viewing figures of just under 5 million on the night, made up to around 7 million with timeshift.

Mick Fisher 06-10-2014 02:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35733113)

I already gave up on it.

I agree with you totally.

Russ 06-10-2014 05:55

I've come close to giving up on it a few times too. Never thought I'd say this but I can't wait for Coleman to leave, I agree she's been really annoying and doesn't suit the role of Capaldi's assistant. She worked well for Matt Smith but there's a something just not working with the current Doctor.

Paul 07-10-2014 01:42

I like Capaldi, and I like Clara, but the stories themselves have been a real let down so far.

Mick Fisher 07-10-2014 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35733405)
I like Capaldi, and I like Clara, but the stories themselves have been a real let down so far.

To be honest I think the poor quality of the story lines makes it impossible for anybody to shine as the Doctor or Companion.

It's not just Who or the Beeb though, I am finding mediocre story lines in most of the Drama I am watching.

New Tricks is dismal, The Driver is disappointing, GrantChester was cringworthly poor.

Hopefully the new series of Lewis will give some respite and Scott and Baily is still watchable but seems to running out of steam.

adzii_nufc 07-10-2014 17:35

I haven't taken to capaldi yet but he'll grow on me no doubt. Coleman has to go though. It doesn't work. Explore the possibility of having capaldi's doctor solo it for a while?

Mick Fisher 07-10-2014 18:12

I might be tempted to give it another try if Coleman goes. Hows about a guest companion each week?

Stephen 07-10-2014 19:14

As i have mentioned earlier I feel that Capaldi has been great so far. What he has delivered and the way he delivers it is brilliant.

Also I really feel Jenna has been written so much better this series and works a lot better with 12th. With 11 it was just flirtation and annoying. This time round she actually gets to converse in a more grown up manor.

This week looks like there will be no companion. Still in a huff I guess.

Think we need to get some more 'heaven' and Missy as they have been introduced but hardly featured. Not much of a storyline as hardly been used.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 35733541)
I might be tempted to give it another try if Coleman goes. Hows about a guest companion each week?

That just wouldn't work. You need to get to know the companion and feel involved with them. A random person each episode would just put people off IMO.

Pierre 10-10-2014 22:17

That was the best episode so far IMO.

Capaldi is great.

Chris 11-10-2014 21:42

Superbness. I love Capaldi, even when he's not doing Tom Baker impressions. :D

Stephen 11-10-2014 21:48

That was epic!

Jelly babies brilliant.

This episode was soort of mentioned by the 10th Doctor in Big Bang.....

Paul 12-10-2014 14:48

Now last nights I really enjoyed.

Stuart 12-10-2014 16:08

If you liked the cover of "Don't Stop Me Now" by the singer Foxes (she did a suprisingly good version in a jazz style), the BBC have put a video online.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/foxes-d...lips-67641.htm

Chris 12-10-2014 18:04

Graham Norton played it in full on Saturday morning. Didn't like it much at all. The lyrics really don't fit that style.

martyh 12-10-2014 19:12

I liked the story ,more like Dr who should be (a space train .....pure class) made better by the large slots with no Coleman ,alas it looks like the Dr and Jenna have made up so we will have to put up with her a while longer

Russ 12-10-2014 21:47

A little bit better but it comes to something when Frank Skinner's appearance improves the show. Coleman was a lot less annoying which was good and I'm looking forward to next week.

Stephen 19-10-2014 19:57

I thought that was another cracking episode.

Pretty creepy in places.

Chris 19-10-2014 19:59

I'm absolutely loving this series. Last night's was another stonker.

Stephen 19-10-2014 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35736346)
I'm absolutely loving this series. Last night's was another stonker.

Indeed, there hasn't actually been an episode I haven't enjoyed.

My fav series since the return in 2005

Russ 19-10-2014 20:53

I think I've figured out what's wrong with this series - it doesn't work when Capaldi tries humour. They're trying to get him over as a 'darker' Doctor and I think that's effective but it all goes to pot when they bring humour in to it. It might explain why some of us are finding Coleman so annoying. Her 'ditzy' persona is at conflict with Capaldi's dark edge.

She was slightly annoying, now she's becoming teeth-grindingly irritating - that part when she's on the phone to Danny, politely trying to make excuses when any normal script-writer would have had her say "Sorry, can't speak, I'll call you back" but her silly schoolgirl whittering spoiled the whole scene for me.

Paul 19-10-2014 21:28

Enjoyed yesterdays again, let's hope the improvement continues.

Stephen 19-10-2014 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35736355)
I think I've figured out what's wrong with this series - it doesn't work when Capaldi tries humour. They're trying to get him over as a 'darker' Doctor and I think that's effective but it all goes to pot when they bring humour in to it. It might explain why some of us are finding Coleman so annoying. Her 'ditzy' persona is at conflict with Capaldi's dark edge.

She was slightly annoying, now she's becoming teeth-grindingly irritating - that part when she's on the phone to Danny, politely trying to make excuses when any normal script-writer would have had her say "Sorry, can't speak, I'll call you back" but her silly schoolgirl whittering spoiled the whole scene for me.

You say that but people in a stressful situation may react differently and I doubt I would just tell someone that I am busy if something was trying to kill me.

I find Clara is so much better with Capaldi and works because there isn't all the silly flirting.

Also maybe its a Scottish thing but I love the humour they are giving Capaldi. So hard and uncaring then them hits out with a pure killer joke.

Chris 19-10-2014 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35736355)
I think I've figured out what's wrong with this series - .

From where I'm sitting, there's nothing wrong with this series. Capaldi is superb, and he's barely broken a sweat yet.

Russ 19-10-2014 22:22

This series seems to be the most polarising yet.

Chris 19-10-2014 22:29

Funnily enough my father in law was complaining that it's got a bit dark. But all three of my kids absolutely love it, including the youngest, who was pretty terrified by The Boneless last night, but watched the episode right to the end anyway, and raved about it afterwards.

dilli-theclaw 19-10-2014 22:33

I didn't like the first one in this season but I am starting to like it. Not seen last nights yet as I've been busy but I am looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

Stuart 20-10-2014 09:53

I felt this episode was good in places, but I couldn't feel any empathy for any of the characters other than Clara and the Doctor. Actually, it wasn't just empathy. I don't have to empathise with a character to enjoy watching them. I don't have to even like them, but I do need to feel something about them one way or the other. The story did not spend enough time establishing the supporting characters, so I felt they were just there as fodder. I even thought that the actor who has just finished playing "Jeff" in Casualty was still playing "Jeff" from Casualty, but just in Doctor Who.

It was a good idea to separate Clara and the Doctor as it gave Jenna Colman and the story a chance to develop the character of Clara a bit more. I also like the strong hint at the end that she may be a little bit more than just another companion.

richard s 21-10-2014 14:42

Not liking it as much, been a fan for years.

adzii_nufc 26-10-2014 01:04

Wow what a boring episode! Can't remember the last time I've just wanted to fast forward. Finale looks good though to end what in my opinion is probably the worst series since the 2005 revival. I don't fully blame Capaldi I blame Coleman whom just doesn't fit in with Capaldi and I blame the writers for some episodes bar a few like the orient express episode.

Hopefully we can move past Clara and onto someone that fits with Capaldi a bit better come the Christmas special.

Pierre 26-10-2014 06:55

I have to admit, I wasn't blown away by this episode, I watched 30 mins then went to bed. I'll finish watching it later.

Capaldi is still a great Doctor, but this week was a weak story.

Russ 26-10-2014 07:20

Funnily enough I thought that wasn't too bad if you excuse the awful acting from the kids, plus Maive's mother sees her other child who went missing a year ago and all she can do is stand there saying "Annabelle.....my Annabelle"...? Really?! Weak.

And Clara - how can the hottest assistant ever also consistently be the most annoying ever? But yes, next week's episode looks pretty good.

Stephen 26-10-2014 09:13

I thought it was ok. Not the best by far.

Again Clara in my opinion is much better with Capaldi and has been written a lot better for this season.

I wouldn't say hottest ever. I still think that award goes to Peri ;-)

Flying cybermen coming out of St Paul's!

Chris 27-10-2014 08:23

I enjoyed this again. I suspect what's proving so marmite about this season is, they've ramped up the fantasy and toned down the hard sci fi. That would tend to irritate the hardcore fans (or a certain section of them, anyway), while pleasing the family audience which, let's not forget, is what it's supposed to be for.

All three of my kids have sat through every episode this season, no fidgeting even from the youngest. This has never happened before.

MetaWraith 30-10-2014 12:28

Hottest ever assistant IMHO is Leela, Louise Jameson
and she could kill a Sontaran with thrown dagger.

Peri was only useful if you wanted to recline on some bulgarian fun bags

Stephen 02-11-2014 10:53

Rather brilliant episode last night.

m sure most people already guessed the Missy twist even though Moffat and co tried to deny it.

Pierre 02-11-2014 22:24

Nope, I didn't see that coming.

Lew 02-11-2014 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35738649)
Rather brilliant episode last night.

m sure most people already guessed the Missy twist even though Moffat and co tried to deny it.

When she said she was a time lady I was assuming she was going to be the Rani.

adzii_nufc 03-11-2014 02:40

Enjoyed it. Looking it up now I can see there were plenty of articles on the Masters return going as far back as June so it appeared certain anyway. Luckily I missed them all an actually thought missy was a new villain.

Would love to know how the hell the master just found his way out of Gallifrey. If that isn't answered I guess the answer "Because Master" will have to do. It's a tad bit annoying when they do stuff like that. Daleks destroyed? But really one survived or some miraculous thing happened because time. Gallifrey is lost? Different Universe? Just follow the master.

Russ 03-11-2014 13:19

Now THAT was a good episode! Coleman kept the annoying histrionics to a minimum which was great and the whole story was gripping. I guessed who Missy would probably be when she said she was a Time Lord, still it was a good 'wow' moment. For the first time in this series I'm really looking forward to next week's episode.

Pierre 05-11-2014 20:53

Best bit of the episode was the way Missy/master said "I'm in charge"

Quality

Russ 08-11-2014 21:47

The ending was pretty anti-climatic to be honest. As soon as it was clear Earth was safe it was a bit of a 'meh' moment. Up until then it was one of the best episodes of the series not that it had much competition. Some poor casting choices (the majority of supporting characters just seemed like young middle-class university/media types) and at times the acting was embarrassingly bad but it did have its moments.

One of the weaker seasons of the new Doctor Who but I'm looking forward to the Christmas episodes and whatever comes next.

Stephen 08-11-2014 22:42

I throughly enjoyed it.

Loved the new Cybermen voices and Missy has been by far the best Master of recent years, hope she will be back.

Lovely final send off for the Brig also. Shame so many characters got bumped off.

martyh 09-11-2014 12:12

Worst season ever

Tezcatlipoca 09-11-2014 16:11

I'm sure that Missy will be back.

Maybe she teleported rather than was disintegrated. Or, if she did die, she would presumably have been sent to the Nethersphere and so could escape from there.

One thing though...

Shouldn't Clara be pregnant, given that her and The Doctor met a descendant of her and Danny earlier in the series?

Stephen 09-11-2014 17:18

Unless the future is changed as of course nothing is set in stone ;)

Rewatching some episodes from the last few seasons, I am now even more sure that this season has been fantastic.

Can't wait till Christmas.

Mick Fisher 09-11-2014 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35739865)
Worst season ever

agreed :(

Stephen 09-11-2014 20:16

I think Missy did Teleport as she went blue where as everyone else went in a puff of red.

Lew 09-11-2014 20:52

She wasn't killed by her own weapon, though. Pink killed her so that Clara wouldn't have to.

dilli-theclaw 09-11-2014 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lew (Post 35739992)
She wasn't killed by her own weapon, though. Pink killed her so that Clara wouldn't have to.

Actually Pink didn't kill / shoot her ;)

Spoiler: 
It was the Brigadier back as a cyberman after rescuing his daughter that shot her