Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tinder Man Aged 69, wants to legally change his age to 49 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707039)

Mick 08-11-2018 21:13

Tinder Man Aged 69, wants to legally change his age to 49

Quote:

Age is just a number and you’re only as old as you feel, it’s been said.

Emile Ratelband agrees wholeheartedly, so that’s why the 69-year-old Dutchman is petitioning to legally change his age to 49.

Ratelband says his senior status is crimping his chance at romance on the dating app Tinder MTCH, +0.31% and interfering with his work prospects.

“We live in a time when you can change your name and change your gender. Why can’t I decide my own age?” Ratelband, a multi-tasking Dutch media personality and motivational coach, said, according to the BBC.

Even though the judge sounded skeptical of Ratelband’s longshot bid to switch his birthday from March 11, 1949 to March 11, 1969, the big picture problems surrounding age discrimination are no joke — and not going away.

In America, age-based workplace discrimination is outlawed by the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967. The statute applies to job applicants and workers ages 40 and above; it says, among other things, that businesses with at least 20 people and various government entities cannot discriminate based on age in hiring, firing and promotion decisions.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ti...tes-2018-11-08

Can you imagine if this was permitted - people would try to change their age to much older age ranges, why not raise it to retirement age and start legally claiming the State Pension? :rolleyes:

daveeb 08-11-2018 22:22

Re: Tinder Man Aged 69, wants to legally change his age to 49

Unbelievable, bit it's crazy enough that you wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

On a side note, if i was him, i'd be looking at a bit of plastic surgery as his likeness to a young Rolf Harris is rather offputting.

Pierre 08-11-2018 22:45

Stop the world, I want to get off.

However, this does perfectly show how “ self identifying” with anything is bullshit, and dangerous.

Damien 08-11-2018 23:09

I mean changing your name is obviously not the same thing. Being transgender is a recognised medical condition. Changing age and race is not.

RichardCoulter 09-11-2018 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35969771)
I mean changing your name is obviously not the same thing. Being transgender is a recognised medical condition. Changing age and race is not.

Exactly.

Paul 09-11-2018 04:43

Quote:

“We live in a time when you can change your name and change your gender. Why can’t I decide my own age?”
Is he really that stupid. :nutter:
Someone should explain basic maths to him. :rolleyes:

pip08456 09-11-2018 08:10

We'll know next month, the court gives it's decision in 4 weeks.

Mr K 09-11-2018 08:25

Why did he go for 49? I'd have gone for 29, and changed my name to Ivor Biggun.

OLD BOY 09-11-2018 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35969763)
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ti...tes-2018-11-08

Can you imagine if this was permitted - people would try to change their age to much older age ranges, why not raise it to retirement age and start legally claiming the State Pension? :rolleyes:

It just goes to show the reality of all this diversity/self identity nonsense.

It sounds to me that this is just a stunt to show how ridiculous this whole thing is. Where will it all end?

Maybe someone sensible could identify as the Labour Party Leader and kick out the current incumbent. :rofl:

papa smurf 09-11-2018 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35969787)
Why did he go for 49? I'd have gone for 29, and changed my name to Ivor Biggun.

I have just accepted that i am fifty twelve .

Hugh 09-11-2018 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35969791)
It just goes to show the reality of all this diversity/self identity nonsense.

It sounds to me that this is just a stunt to show how ridiculous this whole thing is. Where will it all end?

Maybe someone sensible could identify as the Labour Party Leader and kick out the current incumbent. :rofl:

That's like saying just because one or two people on CF are rude, aggressive, and continually cause trouble, everyone on CF must be the same.

Outliers and extremists in any area shouldn't be used to decry or minimalise the challenges that others undergo, just because it doesn't fit in our "world picture" and we find it difficult to empathise/understand what they are going through, doesn't make it any less challenging for them.

It's like being back in the 20th Century, when homosexuality was seen as a psychological abberation that needed to be cured, and people were imprisoned or given mind-numbing drugs to "make it go away", or when women were expected to stay at home and basically be second class citizens, subservient to their husbands or fathers.

Hopefully, most of us are more enlightened now.

RichardCoulter 09-11-2018 13:46

Yes, in many ways people have become more enlightened with the passage of time, but theres always room for improvement.

Sometimes people don't do things intentionally, it can be down to a lack of education, institutional discrimination etc and often institutions will deem complaints etc to be simply trouble causing. The Stephen Lawrence case is a classic example.

Nonsense like this age thing does nobody any favours.

Ramrod 09-11-2018 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35969769)
this does perfectly show how “ self identifying” with anything is bullshit, and dangerous.

Careful now, someone might get triggered....

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35969800)
I have just accepted that i am fifty twelve .

Diane Abbott, is that you? :D

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35969801)
Hopefully, most of us are more enlightened now.

We probably are but when someone who is white decides to call themselves black or someone who is 69 tries to be 49 or even when a man decides to call himself a woman but then goes on to rape more women in jail, then we reserve the right to call 'bullsh*t' on all this bullsh*t. :shrug:

Stephen 09-11-2018 18:14

So if I get my age changed to 68 does that mean i could just retire?

Its a ridiculous idea. You were born in a certain year so no matter what you say or do you are still that age.

Ramrod 09-11-2018 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35969866)
Its a ridiculous idea. You were born in a certain year so no matter what you say or do you are still that age.

Yeah but, yeah but, if you were born a man with male chromosomes then no matter what you say or do, you can be a woman! :rofl: