Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hamas Israel War (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712196)

Chris 07-10-2023 20:44

Hamas Israel War

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67041679

Really don’t know where to start with this. Somewhat surprised it’s not a thread on here already. One thing’s for sure, the bloodshed is only just starting. And it’s also worth noting that there is video circulating of Hamas using drone-dropped grenades to very precisely take out Israeli tanks. There are only two militaries in the world that so far have developed the skills to do this. Hamas has been trained either by Ukraine or by Russia. I wonder which it is.

Jaymoss 07-10-2023 20:52

Re: Hamas terrorists invade Israel, kill civilians and take hostages

Israel will hit them hard and all we will see then is Hamas crying about it

jfman 07-10-2023 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161464)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67041679

Really don’t know where to start with this. Somewhat surprised it’s not a thread on here already. One thing’s for sure, the bloodshed is only just starting. And it’s also worth noting that there is video circulating of Hamas using drone-dropped grenades to very precisely take out Israeli tanks. There are only two militaries in the world that so far have developed the skills to do this. Hamas has been trained either by Ukraine or by Russia. I wonder which it is.

Only two militaries have put it into practice publicly.

Given it's quite a primitive technology, if a military of relative novices like Ukraine without any assistance (no laughing at the back) could develop it then there's no reason to expect that the Iranians or anyone else couldn't do the same. Or a well known group of mercenaries active in North Africa. Indeed Russia have been heavily reliant on Iran for drones, not the other way around.

Ms NTL 07-10-2023 21:21

terrorists?

BBC calls them militants.

Sky calls them Hamas fighters as well as militants.

Chris 07-10-2023 21:36

A man who takes up arms in order to randomly kill, rape and take hostages is a terrorist. If Hamas was the recognised army of a recognised country, then the these men might, at best, be considered war criminals. But it isn’t. And they’re not.

The language of “militant” and “fighter” represents years of well-meant attempts to be even handed and neutral in reporting on Palestine-Israel but here and now it’s plain equivocation. These men sit in precisely the same category as the Al-Qaeda terrorists who hijacked planes on 9/11 and used them to murder 1,000s of people in New York and Washington.

TheDaddy 07-10-2023 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161472)
A man who takes up arms in order to randomly kill, rape and take hostages is a terrorist. If Hamas was the recognised army of a recognised country, then the these men might, at best, be considered war criminals. But it isn’t. And they’re not.

The language of “militant” and “fighter” represents years of well-meant attempts to be even handed and neutral in reporting on Palestine-Israel but here and now it’s plain equivocation. These men sit in precisely the same category as the Al-Qaeda terrorists who hijacked planes on 9/11 and used them to murder 1,000s of people in New York and Washington.

Wasn't there an incident yesterday where settlers attacked a Palestinian village and killed people? Not saying two wrongs make a right or excusing anything or even that they're as bad as each other, just that it happened

Chris 07-10-2023 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161477)
Wasn't there an incident yesterday where settlers attacked a Palestinian village and killed people? Not saying two wrongs make a right or excusing anything or even that they're as bad as each other, just that it happened

They attack, beat up and occasionally kill each other all the time. Nobody covers themselves in humanitarian glory in that part of the world and much of the time they’re as bad as each other.

The fact that these things happen doesn’t excuse or justify today’s events in the slightest. In fact it’s safer not to casually link the two even in conversation, just so as that remains clear.

A lot of the people I follow for Ukraine analysis have started talking about this today so sadly on my Tw*tter feed I’ve seen some stuff I would rather not have (not everyone uses the ‘sensitive content’ screen when sharing graphic video sadly). Seriously, this was a planned and co-ordinated rape-pillage-destroy expedition that would have shamed the Vikings.

nomadking 07-10-2023 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161477)

Is that the one which was a response to an attack on Israelis?
Did Hamas get thousands of rockets and plan all this overnight?

jfman 07-10-2023 23:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161478)
They attack, beat up and occasionally kill each other all the time. Nobody covers themselves in humanitarian glory in that part of the world and much of the time they’re as bad as each other.

The fact that these things happen doesn’t excuse or justify today’s events in the slightest. In fact it’s safer not to casually link the two even in conversation, just so as that remains clear.

A lot of the people I follow for Ukraine analysis have started talking about this today so sadly on my Tw*tter feed I’ve seen some stuff I would rather not have (not everyone uses the ‘sensitive content’ screen when sharing graphic video sadly). Seriously, this was a planned and co-ordinated rape-pillage-destroy expedition that would have shamed the Vikings.

In other words it’s safer to censor debate than engage with the fact Israel also commit war crimes in the occupied territories.

It doesn’t excuse or justify. It is absolutely a catalyst.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161479)

And round and round we go.

Paul 08-10-2023 00:19

I think whatever "victories" they may claim they made today will be short lived, this is not going to end well for Hamas.

Jaymoss 08-10-2023 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36161483)
I think whatever "victories" they may claim they made today will be short lived, this is not going to end well for Hamas.

Or the innocents Hamas surround their weapons caches with in an attempt to dissuade Israel from attacking

Pierre 08-10-2023 00:56

If I was Israel, I would completely destroy Gaza, just flatten it.

I know that’s what Hamas want, but i would give it to them in spades.

Give them 24hrs warning, then flatten it.

Ms NTL 08-10-2023 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161485)
If I was Israel, I would completely destroy Gaza, just flatten it.

I know that’s what Hamas want, but i would give it to them in spades.

As Hezbollah won the previous war.

Arabs ain't humans. Flatten them. Shame on you. Despicable person.

Paul 08-10-2023 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161485)

Pretty much what they think as well (perhaps not flatten, but certainly attack).

Quote:

Israel warns Gaza residents to flee homes ahead of revenge attacks.
[BBC Coverage]

TheDaddy 08-10-2023 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161478)

That's the problem, the fact these things happen is what leads directly to this and Jerusalem has been in my timeline for weeks, starting with the assaults on people at the mosque, then those extremist Jews spitting at Christians, almost as if there was something brewing with hindsight, lots of conspiracies on there now about Russian involvement and the Taliban asking for passage to join the fight through Syria

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161479)

Well well, look whose crawled out the woodwork just in time, it's the zionists number one defender, so much so you are Mark Regev and I'm claiming a fiver

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36161486)

She knows you well Pierre :D

nomadking 08-10-2023 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161488)
That's the problem, the fact these things happen is what leads directly to this and Jerusalem has been in my timeline for weeks, starting with the assaults on people at the mosque, then those extremist Jews spitting at Christians, almost as if there was something brewing with hindsight, lots of conspiracies on there now about Russian involvement and the Taliban asking for passage to join the fight through Syria

Well well, look whose crawled out the woodwork just in time, it's the zionists number one defender, so much so you are Mark Regev and I'm claiming a fiver

She knows you well Pierre :D

Did I say anything that is untrue? I did check about the attack you referred to but didn't specify. Your implication was somehow it was linked to the attack by Hamas.
Palestinians barricaded themselves in the mosque,and blocked access for others.

Pierre 08-10-2023 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36161486)

The residents of Gaza were all out on the streets celebrating the murder of innocent men women and children.

Terrorists parading the body of a young female murdered German tourist in the back of a truck. Half naked, so probably been raped too.

OAPs gunned down at a bus stop.

The list of atrocities is long.

But, yeah, I’m despicable.

When Gaza is destroyed, and the Palestinians are surrounded by rubble of course Israel will then be accused of being the bad actor.

Mr K 08-10-2023 10:38

Bad guys on both sides. But you've to ask who has invaded who, and occupying the other's territory. Why Western reporting and Govts are so biased to one side, who aren't exactly angels themselves. Any criticism of Israel isn't antisemitic, whatever the wrongs of the past doesn't give them a free ticket to do whatever. Its situations like this that causes terrorism to thrive.

Jaymoss 08-10-2023 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36161502)
Bad guys on both sides. But you've to ask who has invaded who, and occupying the other's territory. Why Western reporting and Govts are so biased to one side, who aren't exactly angels themselves. Any criticism of Israel isn't antisemitic, whatever the wrongs of the past doesn't give them a free ticket to do whatever. Its situations like this that causes terrorism to thrive.

While we are sat in a nation that essentially has invaded and kept control over many countries over the years and still keep hold of one of them pretty close by we can hardly hold judgement on a country such as Israel can we

Pierre 08-10-2023 11:04

Quote:

That is utter bollocks and the language of a terrorist sympathiser.

Twitter X, is awash with videos that make you sick to your stomach, such as a girl being executed in front of her parents, brother and sister.

I don’t recall Israel doing that.

But they’ll be dropping a lot of ordnance on Gaza over the next weeks, and rightly so.

Sephiroth 08-10-2023 11:34

Quote:

No - but it heads that way when certain members start using the word "Zionist" in the context of this thread.

TheDaddy 08-10-2023 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161508)

But they’ll be dropping a lot of ordnance on Gaza over the next weeks, and rightly so.

Including white phosphorus in civilian areas apparently

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36161513)

You and Corbyn make a fine pair (of ....).

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

No - but it heads that way when certain members start using the word "Zionist" in the context of this thread.

Let me guess you're going to call my step father and closest thing I had to a dad a self loathing Jew next because he's as disgusted by Israels behaviour over the years as I am and his now deceased mother who was made stateless by the nazis, bet you'd have supported the daily mail in their campaign to stop Jewish people fleeing hitler coming here

jfman 08-10-2023 12:18

I'm sure if/when Israel raze Gaza to the ground everyone will be out with their Palestinian flags, donating money and weapons and pushing Palestine to conscript every man of fighting age to push to fight for every inch of their own territory (and beyond, it'll be the only way they can truly be safe after all).

Or at least that's where my flowchart has got me, but maybe I'm not following it correctly.

Sephiroth 08-10-2023 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161517)

Let me guess you're going to call my step father and closest thing I had to a dad a self loathing Jew next because he's as disgusted by Israels behaviour over the years as I am and his now deceased mother who was made stateless by the nazis, bet you'd have supported the daily mail in their campaign to stop Jewish people fleeing hitler coming here

You introduced the term “Zionist” which points to you actual beliefs, despite the step-family history you provided.

Your earlier statements are self evident. Why don’t you just condemn the Hamas assault rather than make Israel out to be baddies in this context?

Paul 08-10-2023 14:13

Enough of the digs at each other.
If it keeps up, some will be taking a rest from this topic.

TheDaddy 08-10-2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36161524)
You introduced the term “Zionist” which points to you actual beliefs, despite the step-family history you provided.

Your earlier statements are self evident. Why don’t you just condemn the Hamas assault rather than make Israel out to be baddies in this context?

Why does anyone with an ounce of humanity in them need to condemn such a heinous act, it goes without saying and I doubt there is a person on this forum who supports what's happened but here you are going all woke demanding condemnation.

Oh yes it points exactly to my beliefs in that I don't like extremists of any brand and the term has transformed from a perfectly reasonable and laudable ambition of 100+ years ago into what we see today

Sephiroth 08-10-2023 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161532)
Why does anyone with an ounce of humanity in them need to condemn such a heinous act, it goes without saying and I doubt there is a person on this forum who supports what's happened but here you are going all woke demanding condemnation.

Oh yes it points exactly to my beliefs in that I don't like extremists of any brand and the term has transformed from a perfectly reasonable and laudable ambition of 100+ years ago into what we see today

What we see today is the consequence of incompatible cultures fighting over their own perceived justices.

1/
Israel was awarded its territory by UN resolution in 1948. Immediately, that territory was invaded by Israel's Arab neighbours - an act of war. Israel successfully defended that aggression and some Arab families lost their homes (still a bone of contention fuelling the fire).

AT that time, Jordan administered the West Bank and annexed it in 1950. Jordan controlled East Jerusalem and there was peace until 1956 when Israel's neighbours invaded again. Israel came out on top that time too.

Btw, Gaza was administered at the time by Egypt, the terrorist group.

2/
The Fatah terrorist group then got busy against Israel and in 1967,the Arab neighbours had another go at Israel. Fata later transformed into a political party. In Gaza, Hamas was formed as a militant, armed group.

This time, Israel took the West Bank and Gaza into occupation which is the current status save that the West Bank is officially the Palestinian Territory. (Historian will recall that the 1948 UN declaration reserved Palestine to become an Arab state). As part of of the goings on, East Jerusalem was taken by Israel and eventually Annexed.

3/
It is well known that with the exception of Lebanon (Hezbolllah influenced) and Syria, Israel's neighbours took up diplomatic relations with Israel. In those days, Israel was not governed by the right wing hard liners we see in power today. Under those accords, Palestine formed the Palestinian Authority and it appeared for a while that a transition to statehood was on the cards.

Then Likud came to power and the orthodox settlers made incursions into Palestine which set the cat among the pigeons.

In Gaza, Hamas came under Iran's influence - the arch enemy of Israel. The suicide bombing shows that extreme Islamist culture stretches to such insane acts. That's what we're seeing today because the Hamas fighters know they'll die. What's worse, they know their families will suffer. The culture difference is evident.

4/
Hamas (as in Iran) have never let up on Israel. The fact that the Israeli Ultras share power with the right-wing Likud doesn't help either. The Ultra's ideology and doctrine is unhealthily anti-Islam. Iran stokes this up and only Gazan and Israeli blood is shed.

5/
You might ask why Israel didn't give the West Bank back to \\\\\\jordan when diplomatic relations were taken up. The answer is that Jordan didn't want it any more than Egypt didn't want Gaza given back to them.

The history lesson is worth knowing. If Israel gets back to some political sense and elects a centrist government (I fear this wont happen for birth rate reasons), then a Palestinian state could emerge, although Gaza and its separation from the West Bank poses a challenge.

Hamas stands fully condemned.

Pierre 08-10-2023 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161517)

Been announced has it? I assume you have a link, I’ll wait.

Unless you’re going to refer to something that was incorrectly reported years ago. WP were used in 2009 to produce instant smoke and noxious fumes to flush out personnel and combatants. They are not a primary incendiary device.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36161535)

What we see today is the consequence of incompatible cultures fighting over their own perceived justices.

1/
Israel was awarded its territory by UN resolution in 1948. Immediately, that territory was invaded by Israel's Arab neighbours - an act of war. Israel successfully defended that aggression and some Arab families lost their homes (still a bone of contention fuelling the fire).

AT that time, Jordan administered the West Bank and annexed it in 1950. Jordan controlled East Jerusalem and there was peace until 1956 when Israel's neighbours invaded again. Israel came out on top that time too.

2/
The Fatah terrorist group then got busy against Israel and in 1967,the Arab neighbours had another go at Israel. Fata later transformed into a political party. In Gaza, Hamas was formed as a militant, armed group.

This time, Israel took the West Bank and Gaza into occupation which is the current status save that the West Bank is officially the Palestinian Territory. (Historian will recall that the 1948 UN declaration reserved Palestine to become an Arab state). As part of of the goings on, East Jerusalem was taken by Israel and eventually Annexed.

3/
It is well known that with the exception of Lebanon (Hezbolllah influenced) and Syria, Israel's neighbours took up diplomatic relations with Israel. In those days, Israel was not governed by the right wing hard liners we see in power today. Under those accords, Palestine formed the Palestinian Authority and it appeared for a while that a transition to statehood was on the cards.

Then Likud came to power and the orthodox settlers made incursions into Palestine which set the cat among the pigeons.

In Gaza, Hamas came under Iran's influence - the arch enemy of Israel. The suicide bombing shows that extreme Islamist culture stretches to such insane acts. That's what we're seeing today because the Hamas fighters know they'll die. What's worse, they know their families will suffer. The culture difference is evident.

4/
Hamas (as in Iran) have never let up on Israel. The fact that the Israeli Ultras share power with the right-wing Likud doesn't help either. The Ultra's ideology and doctrine is unhealthily anti-Islam. Iran stokes this up and only Gazan and Israeli blood is shed.

5/
You might ask why Israel didn't give the West Bank back to \\\\\\jordan when diplomatic relations were taken up. The answer is that Jordan didn't want it any more than Egypt didn't want Gaza given back to them.

The history lesson is worth knowing. If Israel gets back to some political sense and elects a centrist government (I fear this wont happen for birth rate reasons), then a Palestinian state could emerge, although Gaza and its separation from the West Bank poses a challenge.

Also Israel pulled out of Gaza in 2005.

They removed everything, even their dead.

There could have been a way forward, but Hamas took over two years later. Hamas are a terrorist organisation no different than ISIS or the Taliban. Israel had no choice but to defend themselves against Hamas and introduce restrictions.

If Hamas had not gained control of Gaza, things could have been very different.

It’s like the U.K. giving the people of Co. Tyrone independence, pulling out all the loyalists and anything else British. Only for the IRA to take control and continue to fire rockets and set bombs etc.

Ham

Chris 08-10-2023 19:13

Quote:

Thus far you’re correct. It is an intractable problem and, sad to say, it is never going to have a political resolution - not in the lifetime of anyone living today. The reasons for that are complex and nuanced and routinely misunderstood, especially by those who think that telling the history from 1948 onwards is an adequate approach to it. It really, really isn’t - the seeds of 1948’s conflict were already decades old by that point.

Quote:

It does. Today it stands condemned for deploying medieval tactics in its pursuit of statehood (and it is a cold irony that as a state it would stand condemned in international law for behaviour half as egregious as this).

In the longer run, it may yet stand condemned in the eyes of moderate Palestinians, once they realise their dreams of statehood are further away than ever. The re-occupation of Gaza by Israel is now inevitable. Its retaliation against Hamas is likely to be wide-ranging. Gaza will be unrecognisable 18 months from now. I wouldn’t even put money on it continuing to exist at all in the long run.

Pierre 08-10-2023 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161547)
Gaza will be unrecognisable 18 months from now. I wouldn’t even put money on it continuing to exist at all in the long run.

It’s inevitable. Israel left Gaza, they had a real chance of statehood. Israel is not likely to ever do that again this century.

Gaza will be taken over by Israel, and it will be a bloody conflict.

TheDaddy 08-10-2023 21:04

Quote:

You mean the Muslim Brotherhood

Quote:

fatah and their corruption is the direct reason hamas got into Gaza, it basically died with Arafat and he had the best deal his people could have got and couldn't bring himself to grasp it

Quote:

The suicide bombing shows that extreme Islamist culture stretches to such insane acts. That's what we're seeing today because the Hamas fighters know they'll die. What's worse, they know their families will suffer. The culture difference is evident.
Ever considered that such insane acts emanate from a desperate and hopeless situation and their families actually benefit financially from their deaths btw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161542)
Been announced has it? I assume you have a link, I’ll wait.

Unless you’re going to refer to something that was incorrectly reported years ago. WP were used in 2009 to produce instant smoke and noxious fumes to flush out personnel and combatants. They are not a primary incendiary device.

Considering it took Israel 4 years to admit what they did I fear you're going to have a long wait

Sephiroth 08-10-2023 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161552)
You mean the Muslim Brotherhood

fatah and their corruption is the direct reason hamas got into Gaza, it basically died with Arafat and he had the best deal his people could have got and couldn't bring himself to grasp it

Ever considered that such insane acts emanate from a desperate and hopeless situation and their families actually benefit financially from their deaths btw

Considering it took Israel 4 years to admit what they did I fear you're going to have a long wait

What? How so? And certainly not if the families are among the dead.

Pierre 08-10-2023 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36161552)

You’re talking gibberish now? Not sure how any of that relates to my post. Sleep it off and reply tomorrow.

Jaymoss 08-10-2023 22:04

Another serious news thread spoilt by the same faces bickering

Will just go read a newspaper instead

Chris 08-10-2023 22:24

I wonder if Jeremy Corbyn has phoned his friends in Hamas and asked them if they’d kindly stop raping, kidnapping and murdering people.

Friends in Hamas. Specifically. These people.

To think that Corbyn and his fellow travellers were (albeit briefly) allowed to run one of our two major political parties is all the more chilling. Whatever you think about Boris Johnson and his legacy, what would the alternative have been, had that utter shower been in charge of our government today? To even imagine the equivocation coming out of Downing Street is awful.

Hugh 08-10-2023 22:30

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67047034

Quote:

More than 250 bodies have reportedly been recovered from the festival site, according to rescue agency Zaka.

jfman 08-10-2023 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161559)
I wonder if Jeremy Corbyn has phoned his friends in Hamas and asked them if they’d kindly stop raping, kidnapping and murdering people.

Friends in Hamas. Specifically. These people.

To think that Corbyn and his fellow travellers were (albeit briefly) allowed to run one of our two major political parties is all the more chilling. Whatever you think about Boris Johnson and his legacy, what would the alternative have been, had that utter shower been in charge of our government today? To even imagine the equivocation coming out of Downing Street is awful.

You don't really need to imagine he's actually said this on Twitter:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Corbyn on X
The unfolding events in Israel and Palestine are deeply alarming.

We need an immediate ceasefire and urgent de-escalation.

And we need a route out of this tragic cycle of violence: ending the occupation is the only means of achieving a just and lasting peace.

Horrific.

Chris 08-10-2023 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161561)
You don't really need to imagine he's actually said this on Twitter:

Horrific.

Corbyn is horrific, yes. There’s an entire essay to be written on exactly what he means by ‘occupation’ - there are plenty on the British far left who use that word to describe Israel’s very existence, on the basis that the Israeli state is illegitimate and therefore all ‘Israelis’ are occupiers. Assuming he doesn’t think this way would be being …. generous.

Telling also that his preference is for equivocation like ‘immediate cease fire’ rather than specifically calling on his friends in Hamas to stop the very specifically war-crimey things they’re doing, release civilian hostages and return to Gaza.

An immediate cease fire does rather imply that Hamas gets to continue to occupy those Israeli settlements it has captured and to hold on to the people it has kidnapped. I wonder what reasons he might offer the Israeli government for not immediately retaking its sovereign territory by force and attempting to rescue its citizens.

As a contrast, I offer Keir Starmer’s statement, which says in part that “Labour stands firmly in support of Israel's right to defend itself, rescue hostages and protect its citizens … The indiscriminate attacks from Hamas are unjustifiable and have set back the cause of peace." He has also deliberately used the word ‘terrorism’ in relation to Hamas’ actions, a designation that not everyone on the British left would be willing to admit.

jfman 08-10-2023 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36161562)
Corbyn is horrific, yes. There’s an entire essay to be written on exactly what he means by ‘occupation’ - there are plenty on the British far left who use that word to describe Israel’s very existence, on the basis that the Israeli state is illegitimate and therefore all ‘Israelis’ are occupiers. Assuming he doesn’t think this way would be being …. generous.

Telling also that his preference is for equivocation like ‘immediate cease fire’ rather than specifically calling on his friends in Hamas to stop the very specifically war-crimey things they’re doing, release civilian hostages and return to Gaza.

An immediate cease fire does rather imply that Hamas gets to continue to occupy those Israeli settlements it has captured and to hold on to the people it has kidnapped. I wonder what reasons he might offer the Israeli government for not immediately retaking its sovereign territory by force and attempting to rescue its citizens.

Sounds like you are grasping at straws to insert your own fanciful prejudice to give meaning to Corbyn’s words that isn’t actually there.

Considering everyone predicts the current trajectory to be more war and more bloodshed he’s clearly right that the status quo is not sustainable.

Pierre and yourself have quite eloquently outlined the alternative - essentially a genocide.

Chris 08-10-2023 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161564)
Sounds like you are grasping at straws to insert your own fanciful prejudice to give meaning to Corbyn’s words that isn’t actually there.

Considering everyone predicts the current trajectory to be more war and more bloodshed he’s clearly right that the status quo is not sustainable.

Pierre and yourself have quite eloquently outlined the alternative - essentially a genocide.

I don’t think my view of Corbyn is at all fanciful when his comments are taken in the round, especially in the context of who he has chosen to be seen with, and who he has called his friends over many years. But in the grand scheme of things that’s a sideshow and I have no intention of going on about it for the next 10 pages.

What’s more concerning is that when you look at the conflict, all the way back to its 19th century roots, I think it becomes clear that if there is ever a permanent ‘solution’ it will have been wrought by one side pretty much eliminating the other. If there isn’t a solution then we will continue with a version of the status quo. A state and a non-state, uneasy neighbours occasionally flaring up into murderous cycles of bloodletting.

The so-called ‘two-state solution’ died some time ago but nobody is yet willing to stand up and say so.

TheDaddy 09-10-2023 03:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36161555)

What? How so? And certainly not if the families are among the dead.

Because Hamas pays the families of suicide bombers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161557)
You’re talking gibberish now? Not sure how any of that relates to my post. Sleep it off and reply tomorrow.

You wanted proof, the last time Israel committed that particular war crime it took them 4 years to admit it, hence you'll have a long wait

ianch99 09-10-2023 09:20

Hamas have given us a vivid reminder of the evils of the current Islamist extremes. They are content to die for their faith and here is the result. Saying that, this is a significant failure for the Israeli security services. They are supposed to have Gaza locked down by sea and land but we see 1000's of missiles being smuggled in, assembled and fired into Israel.

What is interesting are the "normal" reactions from both sides where they condemn the other side yet dance around the reasons and underpinnings of these events. Corbyn is a classic example of this. He will not condemn the attacks in clear language yet will pivot back to the behaviour of Israel.

As you can see on this forum, no sensible debate can be had without recognising the faults on both sides. Gaza is the worlds largest prison camp. It has minimal healthcare, water & electricity rationed by Israel and 40% unemployment. Generations have been born in this camp with literally no hope. No wonder the likes of Hamas seduce them. In a way, Israel helped to form Hamas. By refusing to take seriously the PLO and its attempts to pursue a two state solution, it effectedly spawned Hamas and led us here today.

Both sides are signed up a predominantly Old Testament moral code: "an eye for an eye" with the inevitable "sow and ye shall reap". Like some here are doing, everyone in Gaza are treated as terrorists:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67045078

Quote:

Palestinian health officials say more than 400 people have been killed in retaliatory Israeli air strikes on Gaza.

Most areas are without electricity as Israel has stopped supplying Gaza with power. Gaza's own supplier can only provide 20% of the electricity needed.

Food and water supplies have also been cut.

Driving through the Gaza city centre on Sunday morning, I saw rubble blocking roads. Shops were closed, except for a few bakeries where long queues had formed.

The escalation has made Gaza's dreadful humanitarian situation even worse.

Its under-equipped hospitals - which at the best of times struggle to provide healthcare to a population of more than two million people - have launched desperate appeals for blood donors.

Mahmoud Shalabi, Gaza director of the charity Medical Aid for Palestinians, described the city's main hospital as a "slaughterhouse".

Many people were lying on the ground in the emergency department, he said. "There were many dead bodies in the morgue and many medical staff were unable to cope with the huge influx of casualties they were receiving," Mr Shalabi added.
It is sad that world will, quite correctly, focus on the Israelis killed by Hamas, however the innocents killed by the retaliatory IDF bombs will be lost to history.

jfman 09-10-2023 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161576)
Hamas have given us a vivid reminder of the evils of the current Islamist extremes. They are content to die for their faith and here is the result. Saying that, this is a significant failure for the Israeli security services. They are supposed to have Gaza locked down by sea and land but we see 1000's of missiles being smuggled in, assembled and fired into Israel.

What is interesting are the "normal" reactions from both sides where they condemn the other side yet dance around the reasons and underpinnings of these events. Corbyn is a classic example of this. He will not condemn the attacks in clear language yet will pivot back to the behaviour of Israel.

As you can see on this forum, no sensible debate can be had without recognising the faults on both sides. Gaza is the worlds largest prison camp. It has minimal healthcare, water & electricity rationed by Israel and 40% unemployment. Generations have been born in this camp with literally no hope. No wonder the likes of Hamas seduce them. In a way, Israel helped to form Hamas. By refusing to take seriously the PLO and its attempts to pursue a two state solution, it effectedly spawned Hamas and led us here today.

Both sides are signed up a predominantly Old Testament moral code: "an eye for an eye" with the inevitable "sow and ye shall reap". Like some here are doing, everyone in Gaza are treated as terrorists:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67045078

It is sad that world will, quite correctly, focus on the Israelis killed by Hamas, however the innocents killed by the retaliatory IDF bombs will be lost to history.

Irony overload.

nomadking 09-10-2023 09:52

Gaza is reliant on Israel because of it's geographical location and it seems to be overcrowded. Not a lot of scope to build an economy, unless Egypt is going to hand over some territory.

ianch99 09-10-2023 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161578)
Irony overload.

Explain

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161579)
Gaza is reliant on Israel because of it's geographical location and it seems to be overcrowded. Not a lot of scope to build an economy, unless Egypt is going to hand over some territory.

Gaza is effectively part of Israel. Looking through the lens of Ultra-Zionism, I guess it makes sense to want the to ship some of the Palestinians to Egypt. However, Egypt is not Palestine.

Ultra-Zionism is an often religiously motivated movement to extend the State of Israel to subsume the Palestinian territories, aligning with a perceived goal of reclaiming the "Promised Land" of the Old Testament.

The Palestinian Authority seeks the West Bank as the heartland of a future independent state and so the current Likud administration, the most hard-line for years, is actively countering this:

Netanyahu government makes West Bank settlement expansion its priority

Quote:

etanyahu’s new government – the most religious and hardline in Israel’s history – is made up of ultra-Orthodox parties, a far-right ultranationalist religious faction affiliated with the West Bank settler movement, and his Likud party. It is to be sworn in on Thursday.

Several of Netanyahu’s key allies, including most of the Religious Zionism party, are ultranationalist West Bank settlers.

In the coalition agreement between Likud and Religious Zionism, Netanyahu pledges to legalise wildcat settlement outposts considered illegal even by the Israeli government. He also promises to annex the West Bank “while choosing the timing and considering the national and international interests of the state of Israel”.

Such a move would alienate much of the world, and give new fuel to critics who compare Israeli policies in the West Bank to apartheid South Africa.

nomadking 09-10-2023 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161580)
Explain

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Gaza is effectively part of Israel. Looking through the lens of Ultra-Zionism, I guess it makes sense to want the to ship some of the Palestinians to Egypt. However, Egypt is not Palestine.

Ultra-Zionism is an often religiously motivated movement to extend the State of Israel to subsume the Palestinian territories, aligning with a perceived goal of reclaiming the "Promised Land" of the Old Testament.

The Palestinian Authority seeks the West Bank as the heartland of a future independent state and so the current Likud administration, the most hard-line for years, is actively countering this:

Netanyahu government makes West Bank settlement expansion its priority

Any expansion of Gaza would have to come from Egypt. Israel can't be blamed for Gaza's geographical location.

jfman 09-10-2023 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161587)
Any expansion of Gaza would have to come from Egypt. Israel can't be blamed for Gaza's geographical location.

Israel can absolutely be blamed for it’s location and expansion. They aren’t some passive actor, or a victim of chance, when they seize Palestinian land to give it to Israeli settlers.

ianch99 09-10-2023 11:04

Quote:

You really know very little about this subject.

Hugh 09-10-2023 11:30

Quote:

You may find this informative

https://www.britannica.com/place/Gaza-Strip

jfman 09-10-2023 11:54

That’s the Israelis onto air strikes on refugee camps taking in the Palestinians fleeing their homes.

I presume the “you must condemn Hamas before you can speak of Israeli war crimes” brigade will be out any minute now to unequivocally condemn this.

ianch99 09-10-2023 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161594)
That’s the Israelis onto air strikes on refugee camps taking in the Palestinians fleeing their homes.

I presume the “you must condemn Hamas before you can speak of Israeli war crimes” brigade will be out any minute now to unequivocally condemn this.

Don't hold your breath. Only actions against Israel seem to have a mandate for condemnation.

Hugh 09-10-2023 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161594)

The deliberate targeting of civilians by any military force should be condemned.

I look forward to your condemnation of the same…

jfman 09-10-2023 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36161598)
The deliberate targeting of civilians by any military force should be condemned.

“Any military force” sounds a bit Corbyny to me.

Maggy 09-10-2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36161598)

Exactly! How about we look around the world and see just how many powder keg situations exist at present that both east, west,north and south are covering their ears and eyes to. How many people on both sides of any of those situations are desperate for those in charge to just shut the f*** up and start to looking at finding ways to make peace.

noel43 09-10-2023 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36161469)
terrorists?

BBC calls them militants.

Sky calls them Hamas fighters as well as militants.

What people forget is Israel is an occupying force, . Build settlements in occupied land, which is against international law. Would you fight if England was occupied or just let them get on with the occupation. Reason Britain or usa will not complain of this, is the Jewish vote in both countries.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 36161601)
What people forget is Israel is an occupying force, . Build settlements in occupied land, which is against international law. Would you fight if England was occupied or just let them get on with the occupation. Reason Britain or usa will not complain of this, is the Jewish vote in both countries.

Ms NTL 09-10-2023 15:38

@noel43

I agree with you but I don't participate in this thread. Chris's thread title is bigoted, no major non-Israeli news organization call Hamas terrorists.

Sephiroth 09-10-2023 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161579)

…. or take Gaza back.

Paul 09-10-2023 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36161608)
I agree with you but I don't participate in this thread.

and yet you just did ... :erm:

Quote:

no major non-Israeli news organization call Hamas terrorists.

Hamas is designated as a terrorist group by the UK [and the EU] as well as the USA.

In fact, by Australia, Canada, European Union, Israel, Japan, Organization of American States, Paraguay, United Kingdom, United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

(The EU and OAS is over 50 countries in total)

jfman 09-10-2023 16:07

Quote:

@noel43

I agree with you but I don't participate in this thread. Chris's thread title is bigoted, no major non-Israeli news organization call Hamas terrorists.

Well his bias permeates almost every post he makes on the subject you can’t really exempt a thread title. He’s not had much to say about his hypothetical Russian link in the OP, and even less to say about arms from Ukraine turning up in the Middle East.

However it’s important to challenge where people seek to censor opposing thought through their use of language - such as the obligation to criticise Hamas before being permitted to criticise Israel. They’ll criticise opponents for playing the “both sides” card yet are unable (or unwilling) to criticise Israeli actions on their own merit when they are the most egregious breaches of international law and condemned universally by human rights organisations.

Conflating criticism of Israel with antisemitism another classic of the genre.

Hugh 09-10-2023 16:15

It is possible to criticise both sides - you should try it…

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161599)
“Any military force” sounds a bit Corbyny to me.

If that’s your default viewpoint, most things would… ;)

Sephiroth 09-10-2023 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161590)
Israel can absolutely be blamed for it’s location and expansion. They aren’t some passive actor, or a victim of chance, when they seize Palestinian land to give it to Israeli settlers.

Your two points are unconnected. Gaza was previously Egyptian territory which they lost int the 1967 war. Egypt didn’t want it back when the two countries made peace.

The Israeli settler issue is a disgrace and doesn’t help matters. I hope tha Palestinians keep out of this.

As is widely reported, this culture clash is founded on Iran’s desire to eradicate Israel. Hamas and Hezbollah are their soldiers intent only on murder. In UK, those same types did the 7/7 atrocities.

ianch99 09-10-2023 16:28

Quote:

@noel43

I think you are being harsh here. I think "terrorist" is an accurate description of these people who carried out these attacks. Killing unarmed old & young civilians is a clear example.

jfman 09-10-2023 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161617)
I think you are being harsh here. I think "terrorist" is an accurate description of these people who carried out these attacks. Killing unarmed old & young civilians is a clear example.

Does that make Israel a terrorist state?

noel43 09-10-2023 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36161611)
and yet you just did ... :erm:

Hamas is designated as a terrorist group by the UK [and the EU] as well as the USA.

In fact, by Australia, Canada, European Union, Israel, Japan, Organization of American States, Paraguay, United Kingdom, United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

(The EU and OAS is over 50 countries in total)

Maybe so. Was the Marquis (WW2) in France considered terrorists ''no'' they were classed as freedom fighters. Israel is an occupying force and Hamas is trying to get them out of Palestine. Lets face we do what usa says, most of those countries mentioned rely on america in some form or other.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161617)

I believe isreal bombing and destroying civilian high rise buildings is also terrorism. Any attacking force can say enemy forces were hiding in building.

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161618)

Yes has been for a long time.

Pierre 09-10-2023 17:08

Quote:

@noel43

Only because they're scared to call them what they are.

What do you call someone that murders a daughter in front of her parents, Sister and Brother?

A freedom fighter?

What do you call someone that kidnaps a young German tourist from a music festival then gang rapes and murders her then parades her half naked body around in a pick up, whilst inviting others to spit on it?

The poor oppressed?

What do you call someone that machine guns three old ladies waiting for a bus.

Brave?

No, I think terrorist sums them up perfectly. They're not soldiers, Militants or guerillas. They're Criminals.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 36161619)
Was the Marquis (WW2) in France considered terrorists ''no'' they were classed as freedom fighters..

Did they do any of the following?

Quote:

What do you call someone that murders a daughter in front of her parents, Sister and Brother?

A freedom fighter?

What do you call someone that kidnaps a young German tourist from a music festival then gang rapes and murders her then parades her half naked body around in a pick up, whilst inviting others to spit on it?

The poor oppressed?

What do you call someone that machine guns three old ladies waiting for a bus.

Brave?
If you want to compare Hamas to the Maquis, I would happily do so if they just attacked the IDF, or other strategic targets.

I don't know about you but I'm not for the raping of young women, and cold blooded murder of OAPs and Children.

If you are, then good for you.

jfman 09-10-2023 17:32

A customary glance at anyone’s favourite search engine will find the IDF have raped Palestinian women and girls in the past. Does that make everyone who supports their actions, their war crimes, “pro-rape”?

Or is it just important if the victim meets a certain profile.

Hugh 09-10-2023 17:43

Both are bad…

If one doesn’t condemn Hamas raping and killing civilians, does that make one "pro-rape"?

Or is it just important that the perpetrators meet a certain profile?

Chris 09-10-2023 17:44

Quote:

@noel43

Chris’ thread title accurately reflects the designation given Hamas by the British government, also the EU, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. So away with you and whistle. And even if you wish to try to draw a distinction between Hamas as a political movement and this weekend’s actions, I am simply not going to debate with you or anyone else whether the scenes we witnessed yesterday in southern Israel are terrorism or not. These were the actions of terrorists, perpetrating terrorism. If you wish to equivocate on this, shame on you.

pip08456 09-10-2023 17:53

1 Attachment(s)
This is about to get bigger. 100,000 troops being assembled by IDF to wipe out Hamas, 300,000 reservists being called up to bolster the IDF to repel further incursions.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1696869074

IMHO (and many others) this is all sponsored by Russia via their proxy Iran and to distract from Ukraine. The failure of the West to give more timely resorces needed for Ukraine to win rather than defend has caused this.

Russia welcomes weakness, get ready for another war in the Balkens with Serbia and Kosovar. The more they can distract the West and face no repercussions the more they will do so. Just like Hitler in the 1930.s

We have learnt nothing from history.

ianch99 09-10-2023 17:56

Quote:

In some contexts, I would say yes. Things get more complicated when trying to apply simple labels to state-level entities.

Pierre 09-10-2023 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161624)
A customary glance at anyone’s favourite search engine

There's many stories of allegations

The below was Convicted and rightly jailed, for his crimes.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ending...stinian-woman/

I've read the story, there was nothing I could see about him then murdering her and parading her corpse around the streets, they must of left that bit out.

jfman 09-10-2023 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161629)
There's many stories of allegations

The below was Convicted and rightly jailed, for his crimes.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ending...stinian-woman/

I've read the story, there was nothing I could see about him then murdering her and parading her corpse around the streets, they must of left that bit out.

So it'd have been alright if they left her alive then?

Pro-rape but anti-murder, at least we know where the line is I guess.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36161625)
Both are bad…

If one doesn’t condemn Hamas raping and killing civilians, does that make one "pro-rape"?

Or is it just important that the perpetrators meet a certain profile?

Both are bad, as you say.

Itshim 09-10-2023 18:50

Quote:

Definitely , having been to the area a few times , Israel definitely terrorises the ordinary poeple of Gaza . That said it is not except able action but the world really has no interest in upsetting israel . As it was put to me ,and make of this what you will . What would happen if the UN desided that a group of people need a homeland and moved them in to Yorkshire driving out the people there

jfman 09-10-2023 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36161635)
Definitely , having been to the area a few times , Israel definitely terrorises the ordinary poeple of Gaza . That said it is not except able action but the world really has no interest in upsetting israel . As it was put to me ,and make of this what you will . What would happen if the UN desided that a group of people need a homeland and moved them in to Yorkshire driving out the people there

My good friend Seph has comprehensively gave his thoughts on that last point.

Pierre 09-10-2023 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161630)

Pro-rape.

Pro-rape? Wow, that’s a peach even for you.

I suppose a terrorist sympathiser will say anything as they know the ground they’re on is so weak.

jfman 09-10-2023 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161640)
Pro-rape? Wow, that’s a peach even for you.

I suppose a terrorist sympathiser will say anything as they know the ground they’re on is so weak.

Au contraire, Pierre.

You introduced the idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre
I don't know about you but I'm not for the raping of young women, and cold blooded murder of OAPs and Children.

If you are, then good for you.

Something something terrorist sympathiser something weak ground.

Pierre 09-10-2023 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161641)
Au contraire, Pierre.

You introduced the idea.

I stand by it. Anybody trying to justify Hamas’s actions must be OK with it?

I’’m not trying to justify anything that the IDF has done in the past but trying equate the despicable isolated actions of bad IDF soldiers, passing them off as systemic to the IDF, to the “planned” and obviously “systemic” atrocities of Hamas is disingenuous and just plain wrong.

I’m not pro-Israel, I’m anti-terrorist.

This rhetoric coming out that Israel had it coming, is bull shit, and anyone that says otherwise is an idiot and a terrorist sympathiser.

This is not how you win peace, but Hamas doesn’t want peace. Israel would negotiate, but it can’t negotiate as Hamas’s terms are the destruction of Israel.

The ball really is in the Palestinians court. Renounce Hamas. Accept Israel’s right to exist, and they may be able to negotiate a future.

Three Islamic nations, two wealthy ones, have already acknowledged Israel. Morocco, Bahrain and the UAE.

This really could be Hamas’s last roll of the dice.

jfman 09-10-2023 20:44

"May be able to negotiate a future"

Doesn't sound very concrete.

It might be Hamas's last roll of the dice but every civilian massacred by Israel in the coming days will be someone's mother, father, brother, sister, etc. There will always be someone willing to carry out a reprisal and always someone else willing to finance it. Try telling them the average Israeli isn't fair.game.

ianch99 09-10-2023 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161644)
I stand by it. Anybody trying to justify Hamas’s actions must be OK with it?

I’’m not trying to justify anything that the IDF has done in the past but trying equate the despicable isolated actions of bad IDF soldiers, passing them off as systemic to the IDF, to the “planned” and obviously “systemic” atrocities of Hamas is disingenuous and just plain wrong.

This rhetoric coming out that Israel had it coming, is bull shit, and anyone that says otherwise is an idiot and a terrorist sympathiser.

This is not how you win peace, but Hamas doesn’t want peace. Israel would negotiate, but it can’t negotiate as Hamas’s terms are the destruction of Israel.

The ball really is in the Palestinians court. Renounce Hamas. Accept Israel’s right to exist, and they may be able to negotiate a future.

Three Islamic nations, two wealthy ones, have already acknowledged Israel. Morocco, Bahrain and the UAE.

This really could be Hamas’s last roll of the dice.

I agree with a lot of what you say but in terms of you point:

Quote:

In this case, you would clearly condemn the state terrorism that Israel is inflecting on the civilians in Gaza, correct?

Pierre 09-10-2023 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161646)
"May be able to negotiate a future"

Doesn't sound very concrete.

It isn’t, but carry on this way, there is no future. Not a good one, anyway.

Quote:

It might be Hamas's last roll of the dice but every civilian massacred by Israel in the coming days will be someone's mother, father, brother, sister, etc.
And that’s different to victims of Hamas in what way?

Quote:

There will always be someone willing to carry out a reprisal
And that’s different to Israel’s reprisals now, how?

Quote:

and always someone else willing to finance it.
The IDF is well financed

Quote:

Try telling them the average Israeli isn't fair.game.
Try telling the average Israeli, they wouldn’t be better off with all Palestinians either removed from Gaza. Or have Gaza under full Israeli control.

It works both ways but the big difference is Israel can and, if necessary, will subjugate Gaza to prevent a reoccurrence of this incident.

Try as it might, Hamas cannot subjugate Israel.

jfman 09-10-2023 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161648)
It isn’t, but carry on this way, there is no future. Not a good one, anyway.

And that’s different to victims of Hamas in what way?

And that’s different to Israel’s reprisals now, how?

The IDF is well financed

Try telling the average Israeli, they wouldn’t be better off with all Palestinians either removed from Gaza. Or have Gaza under full Israeli control.

It works both ways but the big difference is Israel can and, if necessary, will subjugate Gaza to prevent a reoccurrence of this incident.

Try as it might, Hamas cannot subjugate Israel.

I don't doubt that there are Israelis for whom nothing short of the genocide of the Palestinian people is an objective. Being a nation state simply legitimises it at the ballot box.

It's not really a question of who has the most money or most resource Hamas aren't really operating at a level they can reasonably expect to eliminate Israel. Neither will their successors. This exercise has demonstrated the innovative and intuitive ways that they can strike Israel where it hurts at a scale nobody expected. The main achievement is psychological. How safe are new settlements going to be?

Pierre 09-10-2023 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161647)
In this case, you would clearly condemn the state terrorism that Israel is inflecting on the civilians in Gaza, correct?

If you can point me towards the incidents of state planned and executed acts of terrorism, where they have purely intentionally and purposefully targeted civilians for the sole intention to senselessly kill women and children for no other reason than to make a political point.

Then yes, I would absolutely condemn it.

jfman 09-10-2023 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161651)
If you can point me towards the incidents of state planned and executed acts of terrorism, where they have purely intentionally and purposefully targeted civilians for the sole intention to senselessly kill women and children for no other reason than to make a political point.

Then yes, I would absolutely condemn it.

What about bombing a refugee camp and killing scores of civilians as "collateral damage". A price worth paying?

Pierre 09-10-2023 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161650)
I don't doubt that there are Israelis for whom nothing short of the genocide of the Palestinian people is an objective.

That genocide of the Israelis is the Palestinian objective

Quote:

Being a nation state simply legitimises it at the ballot box.
The Palestinians appointed Hamas at the ballot box.

Quote:

It's not really a question of who has the most money or most resource Hamas aren't really operating at a level they can reasonably expect to eliminate Israel.
That was my point.

They can’t eliminate Israel, when you’re in an un-winnable situation, the sensible thing to do is negotiate a way out, that way you may come out with something.

Quote:

This exercise has demonstrated the innovative and intuitive ways that they can strike Israel where it hurts at a scale nobody expected.
It’s the equivalent of giving Israel an insect bite, not nice and it will irritate for sometime, and Israel will scratch that bite for a long time. They will also be minded to ensure in future they have plenty of insect repellent.

Quote:

The main achievement is psychological. How safe are new settlements going to be?
Oh, a hell of a lot safer now, thanks to Hamas…………how safe will Gaza be?

Gavin78 09-10-2023 21:33

I think we are on the cusp of a world war, especially since Russia has pulled out of the nuclear treaty and a build up of activity with NK

Pierre 09-10-2023 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161652)
What about bombing a refugee camp and killing scores of civilians as "collateral damage". A price worth paying?

No no, you’ll have to provide something before this incident. That camp would not have been targeted before Saturday. There may be Hamas operatives in that camp, making it a legitimate target.

I’m pretty sure all the people at the music rave were not legitimate targets, the 3 old women at the bus stop were not IDF or hiding IDF soldiers.

The girl executed in front of her parents and siblings was not an IDF commander.

jfman 09-10-2023 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161653)
That genocide of the Israelis is the Palestinian objective

The Palestinians appointed Hamas at the ballot box.

That was my point.

They can’t eliminate Israel, when you’re in an un-winnable situation, the sensible thing to do is negotiate a way out, that way you may come out with something.

It’s the equivalent of giving Israel an insect bite, not nice and it will irritate for sometime, and Israel will scratch that bite for a long time. They will also be minded to ensure in future they have plenty of insect repellent.

Oh, a hell of a lot safer now, thanks to Hamas…………how safe will Gaza be?

How many will take the risk of.living there having seen the brutal rapes and slaughter of their fellow Israelis? The best intelligence services in the world asleep at the wheel and the Iron Dome being caught out by a couple of paragliders with assault rifles doesn't bode well for long term safety at the border zone.

Israelis have a choice where they can live, those in Gaza don't.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161655)
No no, you’ll have to provide something before this incident. That camp would not have been targeted before Saturday. There may be Hamas operatives in that camp, making it a legitimate target.

I’m pretty sure all the people at the music rave were not legitimate targets, the 3 old women at the bus stop were not IDF or hiding IDF soldiers.

The girl executed in front of her parents and siblings was not an IDF commander.

So Israel can commit war crimes but Palestinians have to observe international law. Gotcha.

Pierre 09-10-2023 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161656)
How many will take the risk of.living there having seen the brutal rapes and slaughter of their fellow Israelis?

No idea, but if you think Israeli security and IDF strength will be lessened by this incident. I know you’re not that daft.

Every future Israel election will be fought off the back of this for decades.

Quote:

The best intelligence services in the world asleep at the wheel and the Iron Dome being caught out by a couple of paragliders with assault rifles doesn't bode well for long term safety at the border zone.
But it does. The amount of money and resources that will be thrown at this. Hamas have guaranteed maximum attention and resources for the IDF and MOSAD for a generation or two.

Quote:

Israelis have a choice where they can live, those in Gaza don't.
All Israelis live there despite knowing that all of their neighbours want them dead. They’re not going to flee. Have you not looked at any of their history? They’ll fight for their state.

This will only harden their resolve.

Perhaps, Egypt, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon or Syria will allow Palestinians to relocate to their countries? Been a bit quiet on that front.

Sephiroth 09-10-2023 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36161635)

Apart from Israel being legally constituted by UN resolution, and nothing of the scenario you mooted applies. The distortion here is not acceptable.

I went to a lot of trouble to describe the regional history and what you say runs contrary to that. Btw, none of the gurus here have disputed my description.

The UN moved nobody into Israel. Before Israel was formed, Jews fled Europe to Palestine (in the mid 1930s) and they formed the Jewish nation nucleus.

If on independence day the Arab neighbours had not declared war, none of what is happening now would have occurred. The Arabs displaced by that day one war were the unfortunate casualties.

As to Gaza, that was Egyptian territory till they declared another war on Israel and they didn't want it back when the eventual peace treaty was signed. Gaza spawned Hamas, and Hamas terrorised Israel. Israel retaliated strongly and that's what you call "terrorises the ordinary people of Gaza" - who voted Hamas into power. Nobody was evicted from Israel to Gaza.

Just remember 7/7 in the UK and you've got Hamas in one.

Pierre 09-10-2023 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161656)
So Israel can commit war crimes but Palestinians have to observe international law. Gotcha.

Are they committing war crimes? Are you the current sole arbiter at The Hague?

Chris 09-10-2023 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36161659)

I went to a lot of trouble to describe the regional history

No you didn’t. You started in 1948. Regional history did not begin there.

If you’re genuinely interested in regional history, try again, this time discussing Ottoman land reform, early Zionism and the British Mandate.

Clue: if you don’t go back at least as far as 1858 you’re doing it wrong.

jfman 09-10-2023 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161658)
No idea, but if you think Israeli security and IDF strength will be lessened by this incident. I know you’re not that daft.

Whether the risk is high or low is irrelevant if the perceived risk of terror is high. I cant even take a full size toothpaste on a plane because some guy almost blew his shoes up twenty years ago. Would you live there with your wife or daughters?

Quote:

Every future Israel election will be fought off the back of this for decades.

Quote:

But it does. The amount of money and resources that will be thrown at this. Hamas have guaranteed maximum attention and resources for the IDF and MOSAD for a generation or two.
You are kidding yourself on if you think it's not already so disproportionate as to be irrelevant. What terror groups have to offer is innovative, often suicidal, methods.

Quote:

All Israelis live there despite knowing that all of their neighbours want them dead. They’re not going to flee. Have you not looked at any of their history? They’ll fight for their state.

This will only harden their resolve.
As will Israel's reprisals on innocent Palestinians to the Palestinian people.

Quote:

Perhaps, Egypt, Jordan, Iran, Lebanon or Syria will allow Palestinians to relocate to their countries? Been a bit quiet on that front.
We aren't queuing to take in anyone either.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36161660)
Are they committing war crimes? Are you the current sole arbiter at The Hague?

If you are wilfully ignoring what you can clearly see with your own eyes, or worse you think nits a reasonable response, you can't really complain about the next terrorist attack on Israel or the one after that.

We are going round and round a bit so i will bid you good night at this point I'm sure the thread will still run and run.

Pierre 09-10-2023 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161662)
Whether the risk is high or low is irrelevant if the perceived risk of terror is high. I cant even take a full size toothpaste on a plane because some guy almost blew his shoes up twenty years ago. Would you live there with your wife or daughters?

It’s a good point, only the subjugation of Gaza in the short to medium term would help, and that is probably will happen.

Quote:

indeed, one side has previously offered concessions and a willingness to negotiate, the other hasn’t, only death to Israel, let’s keep spinning.

Quote:

You are kidding yourself on if you think it's not already so disproportionate as to be irrelevant. What terror groups have to offer is innovative, often suicidal, methods.
major questions will be asked, this will make it more disproportionate. They always break through. The CIA didn’t stop 9/11, MI5 didn’t stop 7/7 or Manchester.

Israel has faced suicide bombers before, many times, this will come as no surprise to them.

Quote:

As will Israel's reprisals on innocent Palestinians to the Palestinian people.
No doubt.wonderful isn’t it? Imagine if one side would negotiate in good faith how different things might be?

Quote:

We aren't queuing to take in anyone either.
are we advocating the elimination of the Israeli state? Or are we asking for peace?

Quote:

If you are wilfully ignoring what you can clearly see with your own eyes, or worse you think its a reasonable response,
I don’t have access to any intelligence, it may be a legitimate target, there may be Hamas sheltering there. I don’t know. Do you have access to those intelligence reports?

Quote:

you can't really complain about the next terrorist attack on Israel or the one after that.
You seem to have unrivalled access to intelligence for the area. Impressive.

Quote:

We are going round and round a bit so i will bid you good night at this point I'm sure the thread will still run and run.
Good night. I think people need to reconsider the terms terrorist and terrorism. I’m not sure everyone understands it.

Paul 09-10-2023 22:43

Funny how "whataboutary" is suddenly valid for some forum members when defending Hamas terrorists.
Anyone defending them should be totally ashamed of themselves.

jfman 09-10-2023 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36161665)
Funny how "whataboutary" is suddenly valid for some forum members when defending Hamas terrorists.
Anyone defending them should be totally ashamed of themselves.

You won't find a single post where I've defended them.

It's not 'whataboutery' - that relates to completely unlinked events. Politicians telling unrelated lies, different corruption, the Lawrence Fox and Chris Packham discussion the other day.

The actions of Israel and Palestinian terror groups are absolutely intertwined. Always have been and always will be.

For the avoidance of doubt:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...0&postcount=72

Paul 09-10-2023 22:55

I didnt mention any names, but clearly a guilty conscience kicking in.

Still, for the "avoidance of doubt", in which post have you condemed them ?

jfman 09-10-2023 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36161668)
I didnt mention any names, but clearly a guilty conscience kicking in.

Still, for the "avoidance of doubt", in which post have you condemed them ?

I've linked above.

It's not a guilty conscience it was an obvious reference to me. Unless I've guessed incorrectly in which case you can correct me. It's worth noting once again nobody will find a single post where I've defended Hamas.

Sephiroth 09-10-2023 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161670)
I've linked above.

It's not a guilty conscience it was an obvious reference to me. Unless I've guessed incorrectly in which case you can correct me. It's worth noting once again nobody will find a single post where I've defended Hamas.

My friend John is absolutely right.

ianch99 09-10-2023 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161667)
The actions of Israel and Palestinian terror groups are absolutely intertwined. Always have been and always will be.

How can anyone not see this? It is the fuel that drives this whole sorry story. By not condemning both sides, it allows one side to claim the moral high ground.

The people who claim that children killed by Israeli bombs are not victims of terrorism in the same way that the Israeli's killed by the Hamas terrorists are the real problem here.

Sephiroth 10-10-2023 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161672)
How can anyone not see this? It is the fuel that drives this whole sorry story. By not condemning both sides, it allows one side to claim the moral high ground.

The people who claim that children killed by Israeli bombs are not victims of terrorism in the same way that the Israeli's killed by the Hamas terrorists are the real problem here.

While there is truth in Ian’s assertion, this is thwarted by the dark force of Iran which stokes up the hatred of Jews and Israel.