Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Microsoft Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Xbox Series X - World Premiere (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708507)

SnoopZ 13-12-2019 18:09

Xbox Series X - World Premiere

Here is the first look at Microsoft's next games console to be released late 2020.

Press Release.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/...xbox-series-x/

cheekyangus 13-12-2019 18:38

Re: Xbox Series X - World Premiere

Shame about the name. XSX is tricky to say and the name will only confuse people, especially given the previous Xbox console naming.

SnoopZ 13-12-2019 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36020233)
Shame about the name. XSX is tricky to say and the name will only confuse people, especially given the previous Xbox console naming.

It's too close to the current Xbox X name.

SnoopZ 14-12-2019 09:49

1 Attachment(s)
It'll fit perfectly in my Kitchen! :D

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1576316890

cheekyangus 14-12-2019 15:25

:D Genius SnoopZ!

:clap:

SnoopZ 14-12-2019 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36020296)
:D Genius SnoopZ!

:clap:

Not my handy work but since the reveal there are loads of pictures like this.

Uncle Peter 14-12-2019 17:39

The design is pretty cool

MS are releasing the new Flight Sim (FS2020) for this so hopefully it has a decent amount of horsepower.

SnoopZ 14-12-2019 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 36020307)

MS are releasing the new Flight Sim (FS2020) for this so hopefully it has a decent amount of horsepower.

Rumour is 12 Teraflops based on RDNA architecture which is better than the current GCN architecture, and the same for the PS5, these next gen consoles are going to be awesome.

This design is said to be 310mm x 160mm, very problematic for peoples TV stands!

denphone 14-12-2019 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36020259)
It'll fit perfectly in my Kitchen! :D

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1576316890

There is even space for the beers..:D

cheekyangus 14-12-2019 19:23

You know, the only problem with this fridge idea is that consoles can get hot.

adzii_nufc 15-12-2019 21:16

I like Microsoft's current outlook. Xbox everywhere for everyone.

Don't have a PC. Buy a series X, guaranteed for an entire generation. Got a PC? Game pass works there too and every Microsoft exclusive is for Windows 10 too. Don't have either? CloudX.

Didn't buy a PS4. Bought an Xbox One solely for a few console exclusives. Shows you who I favoured. After a horrendous start to life for the Xbox One it's undeniable that Microsoft are just getting it all right. Opening your product up to more than just a box and a gamepad.

The name is simple too. When they undoubtedly release upgraded ones and streamlined ones they can just call it the Series Y and Z or any other letter.

SnoopZ 15-12-2019 22:05

I agree the Xbox outlook is good but personally I think they need more game exclusives.

I favour PlayStation at the moment as there are far more great game exclusives that I want to play and can't think of any on the Xbox.

cheekyangus 15-12-2019 23:45

MS exclusives do little for me. I've always admired the Forza Horizon games and the new MS Flight Simulator game appeals, but Sony and Nintendo machines attract the inventive, unusual titles, and those are what I want. And they both do 1st Party games I'm much more interested in too.

denphone 16-12-2019 05:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36020402)
I agree the Xbox outlook is good but personally I think they need more game exclusives.

I favour PlayStation at the moment as there are far more great game exclusives that I want to play and can't think of any on the Xbox.

Exactly as IMO Playstation has a far better range of games and exclusives.

Mythica 17-12-2019 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 36020307)

While it will obviously work on this, flight simulator is for the PC and Xbox One.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 36020400)
I like Microsoft's current outlook. Xbox everywhere for everyone.

Don't have a PC. Buy a series X, guaranteed for an entire generation. Got a PC? Game pass works there too and every Microsoft exclusive is for Windows 10 too. Don't have either? CloudX.

Didn't buy a PS4. Bought an Xbox One solely for a few console exclusives. Shows you who I favoured. After a horrendous start to life for the Xbox One it's undeniable that Microsoft are just getting it all right. Opening your product up to more than just a box and a gamepad.

The name is simple too. When they undoubtedly release upgraded ones and streamlined ones they can just call it the Series Y and Z or any other letter.

The name is too close to the Xbox One X for my liking. Potential for some parents to get confused.

SnoopZ 25-02-2020 19:22

Microsoft have tweeted the following which confirms this console will be a beast.

12 Teraflops
Custom RDNA 2 & Zen 2 Processor
Variable Rate Shading
Hardware Accelerated DirectX Raytracing

https://mobile.twitter.com/Xbox/stat...43054904324096

Hugh 25-02-2020 20:02

1 Attachment(s)
20 years ago, that sort of spec was the IBM ASCII White, which was a supercomputer consisting of 512 nodes that had a peak performance of 12.3 Teraflops, and cost $110m to build.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1582660965

Here’s hoping that the Series X is cheaper than that... :D

SnoopZ 25-02-2020 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36025680)
20 years ago, that sort of spec was the IBM ASCII White, which was a supercomputer consisting of 512 nodes that had a peak performance of 12.3 Teraflops, and cost $110m to build.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...9&d=1582660965

Here’s hoping that the Series X is cheaper than that... :D

But those will not be RDNA Teraflops. ;)

Stephen 25-02-2020 23:39

It's also going to have full day one game pass as well as backwards compatibility with all previous generations of xbox console, with graphical improvements on them all.

I just hope the price isn't too high, its sounding like a beast of a console with a day one catalogue of epic proportions.

SnoopZ 29-02-2020 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36025698)
It's also going to have full day one game pass as well as backwards compatibility with all previous generations of xbox console, with graphical improvements on them all.

I just hope the price isn't too high, its sounding like a beast of a console with a day one catalogue of epic proportions.

Stephen do you plan on buying the Xbox Series X and/or PS5 and would you buy day one?

I'm not really a 2 console person so i would like to stay in the Playstation ecosystem because i prefer their exclusive games but that could change if the performance of the Xbox has a noticeable performance advantage over the PS5, although we won't know until Sony finally tell us.

Stephen 29-02-2020 11:23

I used to always own every console so I got to experience all the exclusive games on each one. However I had the X1 from 10 months after release and didn't get the PS4 till last April.

So I will likely end up with both Series X and PS5 eventually, however I don't think I'll be getting either console from Say 1. If I was to then it would be the X due to game pass.

SnoopZ 29-02-2020 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36025932)
I used to always own every console so I got to experience all the exclusive games on each one. However I had the X1 from 10 months after release and didn't get the PS4 till last April.

So I will likely end up with both Series X and PS4 eventually, however I don't think I'll be getting either console from Say 1. If I was to then it would be the X due to game pass.

Do you mean PS5 or you will just stick with PS4 an Series X?

I don't want a jet engine console, so i hope they're as quiet as my Pro.

Stephen 29-02-2020 11:29

5 it's auto correct on this phone.

Fixed it

SnoopZ 16-03-2020 20:16

The wait is over for the Full Xbox Series X specs With Console break down video, it even has 1TB expandable storage!

I'm extremely impressed, this may make me buy an Xbox again but i hope the PS5 has similar specs and expansion options.

DF Direct: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons!

Xbox Series X Tech Demo.

Source: Digital Foundry with full spec sheet.

Stephen 16-03-2020 20:26

It's shaping up to be a really fantastic machine.

It actually looks really nice too. Love the expandable SSD as well, looks well thought out and implemented.

SnoopZ 16-03-2020 20:32

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1584390698

This is meant to be an animated gif, is that possible here?

SnoopZ 16-03-2020 20:36

1 Attachment(s)
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/...series-x-tech/

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1584391158

Mythica 17-03-2020 14:58

And most likely will 'fail' along with the PS5 if the price is too high due to a global recession that looks likely to happen. I was getting excited that the next gen consoles were very powerful but are people going to buy with what's going on in the world.

SnoopZ 17-03-2020 15:16

They will never fail if the price is below £500, they are not stupid enough to make it cost too much, remember what happened to the PS3, but that never failed.

Mythica 17-03-2020 15:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36027737)
They will never fail if the price is below £500, they are not stupid enough to make it cost too much, remember what happened to the PS3, but that never failed.

It didn't have the best launch though if I remember correctly priced at £425. Fail might be a bad word to use but it seems Microsoft and possibly Sony have gone all out with the next gen consoles which I'm glad about but sadly I feel it's going to come back and bite them on the bum. I've got a failing a lot worse is going to come for the economy and I just can't see people paying £400 to £500 for these consoles with a lot of uncertainty about if the covid19 continues for a while.

cimt 19-03-2020 01:48

I can see MS doing some sort of contract for it. i believe they do one for One X? Contract that includes console, gold and game pass

Stephen 19-03-2020 21:22

They already announced it a while back. I think if you took out an S or X around the time they announced the series X, then you can take out the new console after 12 months or something.

Edit it's after 18 payments
https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-all-access

Quote:

.Upgrade to the next Xbox console
Enjoy the option to upgrade to the next Xbox console, Xbox Series X, after the equivalent of 18 payments. Get the Xbox Series X with a new Xbox All Access purchase from the same retail partner where you joined the program, and trade-in the console originally purchased with Xbox All Access

cimt 19-03-2020 21:52

Ah I didn't see that bit. I can see a lot of people doing that method then as it will be a lot easier on the bank account.

SnoopZ 08-09-2020 09:41

1 Attachment(s)
The Xbox Series S design and price got leaked so MS have made it official, the price is $299 and spec details will be released soon.

Both consoles will launch on November 10th and a finance plan is available according to Windows Central.
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...nally-revealed

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1599554337

SnoopZ 08-09-2020 10:13

Pricing for UK is £249 Tweeted by MS.

cimt 08-09-2020 11:18

They deffos leaked it on purpose. They want Sony to reveal their prices. Remember this gen? We had the prices ages in advance.

SnoopZ 08-09-2020 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36049047)
They deffos leaked it on purpose. They want Sony to reveal their prices. Remember this gen? We had the prices ages in advance.

That leak didn't go too well then as MS have also revealed the prices officially now too.

cheekyangus 08-09-2020 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36049051)
That leak didn't go too well then as MS have also revealed the prices officially now too.

May be part of the strategy.

Stephen 08-09-2020 12:07

At £249 I'd definitely consider the series S

Some more details

Quote:

A full version of the earlier leaked teaser has now listed the console's technical specs as including support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.

Oh, and the Series S is 60 per cent smaller than the X, so easier to fit under your TV.

SnoopZ 08-09-2020 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36049060)
At £249 I'd definitely consider the series S

Some more details

Still wondering how Raytracing is possible on it with a far slower GPU and only 4GIG of ram.

Stephen 08-09-2020 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36049066)
Still wondering how Raytracing is possible on it with a far slower GPU and only 4GIG of ram.

Apparently its 10GB of RAM Vs the 16GB on the Series X. Same CPU but slightly slower GPU. The fact it will run 1440p at up to 120fps and raytracing says to me its a fairly powerful little box

SnoopZ 08-09-2020 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36049075)
Apparently its 10GB of RAM Vs the 16GB on the Series X. Same CPU but slightly slower GPU. The fact it will run 1440p at up to 120fps and raytracing says to me its a fairly powerful little box

Oh yeah I got that mixed up with GPU teraflops which is 4.

Stephen 08-09-2020 13:56

Still for a ray tracing capable machine, able to do 1440p up to 120fps for only 249 is an absolute steal.

Stephen 09-09-2020 12:58

From what I've been reading the Series S will do everything the Series X will do just at 1440p rather than 4K.

Saw this posted by a dev on reddit
Quote:

Graphics dev here, some notes about performance targeting that people might find useful.

It has been designed to match the graphical output in almost every way except output resolution, it still supports all the same GPU features, just targets a lower resolution and has lower memory bandwidth because its not needed.

You can take a game that is running at 4k on the series X and without any changes render at 1440p on a series S and be in the same ballpark of performance.

People here are correct that its not quite as simple as you have 33% of the flops, therefore, you can render 33% of the resolution. But as most games are very fillrate limited it is more like that than it used to be.

Also, they are correct that vram amounts and bandwidth matter, both of which are reduced for series S, however so are the texture sizes.

Assets for the series X package will be at the optimum resolution for a 4k native output, assets for the series S will be at the optimum resolution for a 1440p output, almost half the resolution!

This has 4 major effects,

Lower memory usage at runtime which is needed due to it having less memory.
Lower disk space consumed by a game (could be as much as 40% less) which is great because it has half the storage size.
Lower SSD bandwidth required (which is good because the SSD is also slower as it uses fewer channels to keep the price down)
Lower memory bandwidth required both for moving the textures and for simple fill operations.
So you can see that by scaling back the Ram size and speed, and SSD size and speed, and the GPU speed you end up with a console that can perfectly handle 1440p content as long as the content is mastered for a 1440p experience. This isn't as hard as you think as final output sizes for builds is done automatically by most content processing pipelines anyway.

SnoopZ 09-09-2020 13:02

Latest leak is the expansion storage for the X will cost $220 for a 1TB drive.

cimt 09-09-2020 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36049051)

Everyone has loved it though. I'm going for the monthly plan, it's awesome value.

Mythica 09-09-2020 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36049263)
Everyone has loved it though. I'm going for the monthly plan, it's awesome value.

I wouldnt say it was awesome value.

Xbox Series X - £28.99pm for 24 months equals £695.76. The console is £449. That means 2 years of Gamepass Ultimate is £246.76.

Xbox Series S - £20.99pm for 24 months equals £503.76. The console is £249. That means 2 years of Gamepass Ultimate is £254.76.

You can Gamepass Ultimate for around £100 per year. So it's more expensive than what you can buy now. At the end of last year I got a year of Gamepass Ultimate for £56 from Argos, so taking this deal means you can't take advantage of the cheaper prices as you've paid full price for 2 years.

SnoopZ 09-09-2020 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36049263)

I'm not a 2 console household I wouldn't have time so it is PS5 only for me as they have the best first party games in my opinion, Never say never though.

cimt 09-09-2020 17:27

EA Access is also part of GPU though so that is even better value for money now.

Stephen 09-09-2020 17:50

Pre orders start for the new consoles on 22nd September and launch on the 10th November.

I have a feeling ill go for the series S. That price is just too darn good. Microsoft have also revealed that Gears 5 will run on the S at 1440p 120fps and 4k 120fps on the Series X.

That is utterly stunning.

SnoopZ 10-09-2020 09:37

Stephen, are you still getting the PS5 and what will you do if all the multiplat games are included in GPU would you then play them on the S which is a console with only 1/3 of raw GPU power compared to the X and less than 1/2 compared to the PS5? Questionably not really next gen and we still don't know visually how they will compare on screen side by side.

Stephen 10-09-2020 09:47

I think i am going to stick with my ps4 Pro for now. Although depends on the price

However the S may technically be 1/3 the power of the X. However it has the same CPU, it was specifically designed to run the exact same games with the exact same next gen features, just rendering at 1440p rather than 4k. The video from Microsoft yesterday showed some games running on the S and it has still got fast loading, quick resume and will be able to run Gears 5 at 120fps, which is what the X can do also. The S is no slouch. Its got exactly what it needs for next gen at 144ps. It also has a hardware scaler to upscale to 4k output. If a game is designed to run 4k@60 on the Series X then it will run at 1440p@60 on the series S. Its got all the power it needs for a lower resolution output

For the price it really is great. I would likely play multi platform games on the S

SnoopZ 10-09-2020 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36049363)
I think i am going to stick with my ps4 Pro for now. Although depends on the price

However the S may technically be 1/3 the power of the X. However it has the same CPU, it was specifically designed to run the exact same games with the exact same next gen features, just rendering at 1440p rather than 4k. The video from Microsoft yesterday showed some games running on the S and it has still got fast loading, quick resume and will be able to run Gears 5 at 120fps, which is what the X can do also. The S is no slouch. Its got exactly what it needs for next gen at 144ps. It also has a hardware scaler to upscale to 4k output. If a game is designed to run 4k@60 on the Series X then it will run at 1440p@60 on the series S. Its got all the power it needs for a lower resolution output

For the price it really is great. I would likely play multi platform games on the S

Remember the TV needs to support 120fps to take advantage of it.

cimt 21-09-2020 15:53

So Bethesda is now owned by MS. That means Fallout, DOOM, Elder Scrolls, Wolfenstein and a lot more are now gunna be exclusives in the future. No one was expecting that...

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-be...max-aquisition

Stephen 21-09-2020 18:12

Means most existing titles will likely be added to gamespass as well.

SnoopZ 22-09-2020 00:11

This is not good for the games industry in my opinion.

Stephen 22-09-2020 00:28

How so?

I don't see Microsoft doing anything other than claiming. Game exclusives for a few months before the games appear on other console and also all Bethesda games joining game pass on day of release.

I cant see game like fallout only appearing on xbox.

cimt 22-09-2020 02:03

Games being exclusive to MS is going to be on a game by game basis. The franchises that Bethesda own are huge, they won't wanna half the seperate the fanbase.

Damien 22-09-2020 07:40

I don't see why Microsoft would release these games on Playstation?

Playstation has been killing Xbox with their exclusives. Just recently Sony were buying up exclusive use of Spiderman as DLC in Avengers. They had also negotiated timed or complete exclusivity with some Bethesda games. They've been very aggressive this coming generation to have games that are only on PS5.

Why would Microsoft pay $7 billion to not respond in kind? If all their games are on Playstation but none of Playstation's games are on Xbox then why not get a Playstation?

Stephen 22-09-2020 08:23

Microsoft have game pass. Stick them all on there and bulk up subs for that easily. Would probably work out better for them.

Either way Microsoft still make money. Take a game like Cuphead. Once an exclusive to xbox but also now available on the Switch and now PS4. More money in MS pocket.

They would likely do timed exclusives rather than taking total exclusivity. However they have said it will be a case by case situation.

Damien 22-09-2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36051082)
Microsoft have game pass. Stick them all on there and bulk up subs for that easily. Would probably work out better for them.

Either way Microsoft still make money. Take a game like Cuphead. Once an exclusive to xbox but also now available on the Switch and now PS4. More money in MS pocket.

They would likely do timed exclusives rather than taking total exclusivity. However they have said it will be a case by case situation.

They'll put it on GamePass for sure but that's still 'exclusive' to them in this world where all their games are Xbox, XCloud or PC.

But to get people on GamePass and/or their platform they'll want to make the next Fallout and Skyrim exclusive.

SnoopZ 22-09-2020 09:08

Yes I expect the next Fallout and Skyrim/ Doom to be Xbox/PC exclusives so this purchase is bad for Playstation.

I guess it may make people buy an Xbox now as now they can say they have the games.

MadGamer 22-09-2020 18:30

Pre ordered mine this morning with Amazon :)

SnoopZ 23-09-2020 09:23

It looks like loads of people bought the Xbox One X by mistake as its sale rankings are up 747% on Amazon. lol

cimt 23-09-2020 13:56

Haha damn, that's class. Or they may of realised that MS is starting to really improve their platform.