Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   DPP charges politicians on expenses fraud (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33661259)

Osem 05-02-2010 11:11

DPP charges politicians on expenses fraud

According to the Beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8499590.stm

David Chaytor, Elliot Morley, Jim Devine & Lord Hanningfield.

Damien 05-02-2010 11:13

Re: DPP charges politicians on expenses fraud

Woop.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

3 Labour MPs:

Jim Devine, MP for for Livingston

David Chaytor, MP for Bury North

Elliot Morley, MP for Glanford and Scunthorpe

1 Tory Peer:

Lord Hanningfield

Chris 05-02-2010 11:16

I've changed the link in the OP to the BBC's text version of the story rather than the live video news feed. :)

punky 05-02-2010 11:36

Excellent news.

Tarantella 05-02-2010 11:38

They only looked back at the last 4 years of expenses though.

If you or I committed fraud five years ago would we get such leniency?

punky 05-02-2010 11:41

Just heard its magistrate's court so its unlikely they will go to prison (max setence is 6 months in magistrate's court), but I think that was a bit of a pipe dream anyway.

Derek 05-02-2010 11:45

If they are found guilty can the court not refer it to a higher court for sentencing?

Chris 05-02-2010 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34958487)
If they are found guilty can the court not refer it to a higher court for sentencing?

The offence is triable 'either way', and there's obviously going to be a trial, they're not going to quietly plead guilty that's for sure.

Either way means that the magistrates can choose to send the trial to the Crown Court. Even if the magistrates prefer to try it themselves, the defendants can choose to go to the Crown Court. And even if the trial does proceed before magistrates, in the event of a guilty verdict the magistrates can decide, if they think the fitting sentence is beyond their powers, to send it to the Crown Court for sentencing.

zing_deleted 05-02-2010 12:08

Excellent news and about time too

martyh 05-02-2010 12:17

did any body read the main report published yesterday

http://www1.sky.com/news/expenses.pdf

it' horrendous

Osem 05-02-2010 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34958471)
Woop.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

3 Labour MPs:

Jim Devine, MP for for Livingston

David Chaytor, MP for Bury North

Elliot Morley, MP for Glanford and Scunthorpe

1 Tory Peer:

Lord Hanningfield

Not a truly representative sample of our parliamentarians but, nonetheless, for some this will give credence to the notion that New Labour has rather more in common with those despicable, greedy, self serving, Tory toffs than it likes to admit... ;)

Damien 05-02-2010 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 34958552)
Not a truly representative sample of our parliamentarians but, nonetheless, for some this will give credence to the notion that New Labour has rather more in common with those despicable, greedy, self serving, Tory toffs than it likes to admit...

There are of course more Labour MP's ;) Not a third more though. Certainly diminishes any chance they have of claiming they are less corrupt.

Osem 05-02-2010 14:38

Of course the other person named but not charged is also a New Labour Peer (by complete co-incidence of course)...

It all set me wondering whatever happened about yet another New Labour Peer's housing allowances and a quick search revealed this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6991021.ece

Quote:

THE Labour peer Baroness Uddin may face a fresh fraud inquiry following the discovery of a second “home” address which she used to claim £91,000 expenses. Uddin claimed the home of her brother and his family in the Essex resort of Frinton-on-Sea was her main residence.
I'm so glad those days of 'Tory sleaze' are over..... :rolleyes:

nomadking 05-02-2010 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 34958585)

I'm so glad those days of 'Tory sleaze' are over..... :rolleyes:

You mean the days when a £1million+ donation was made to ensure a certain law was passed or someone making a £1million donation, when they happen to be looking for an exemption to a proposed law that would affect their business. That's before you count donations less than £1million, 'Cash for Honours' and Union donations.

Damien 05-02-2010 16:05

I am more concerned about MPs having private business interests. How many politicians were discovered to be given advise to businesses or sitting on their boards. Taking money from the taxpayer is one thing, means they are greedy. Taking money from businesses means they have vested interests which may not be those of the electorate.

fireman328 05-02-2010 17:13

If found guilty they should be disbarred for life and made to repay all monies.

martyh 05-02-2010 18:49

just heard on the itv news that they haven't been arrested nor have they been fingerprinted or had dna samples taken but have been charged

i thought ,and i could be wrong that if you have been charged then you must have been arrested and therefore fingerprints and dna must be taken
could this be the reason ?

Quote:

He said those who had been charged had raised the question of whether they could be protected by parliamentary privilege.
Mr Starmer said: "We have considered that question and concluded that the applicability and extent of any parliamentary privilege claimed should be tested in court."

Osem 05-02-2010 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 34958746)
just heard on the itv news that they haven't been arrested nor have they been fingerprinted or had dna samples taken but have been charged

i thought ,and i could be wrong that if you have been charged then you must have been arrested and therefore fingerprints and dna must be taken
could this be the reason ?

But these are not mere mortals like us evidently,* they're deserving of special treatment...

(* except when elections are near & they like to pretend to understand & even empathise with the troubles of ordinary folk e.g. Margaret Hodge, who suddenly became sympathetic to the view that uncontrolled immigration is a genuine cause for concern after Nick Griffin decided to contest her seat).

fireman328 05-02-2010 21:17

I bet there are a few more waiting for the knock on the door.

martyh 05-02-2010 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman328 (Post 34958839)
I bet there are a few more waiting for the knock on the door.

i think there's quite a few who have had a lucky escape reading through that list i posted

Arthurgray50@blu 05-02-2010 22:14

This case might go to the Supreme Court, then the MPs wouldn't have any excuses for not going, its just across the road from Parliament.

Derek 06-02-2010 07:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 34958746)
i thought ,and i could be wrong that if you have been charged then you must have been arrested and therefore fingerprints and dna must be taken could this be the reason ?

In Scotland you can be reported if the crime is minor and the identity of the accused is known so no need for arresting, fingerprinting and DNA'ing.

I'd imagine England and Wales are the same.

---------- Post added at 07:47 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Still its nice to see that they have realised the level of public anger and are taking their chances in court without trying to wriggle out of it by effectively claiming that MP's are better than the public and above the law.

Oh...

Quote:

It is feared that the prosecution case against them could be delayed by months of legal wrangling over whether the MPs are right to assert that their actions are covered by parliamentary privilege.
Absolutely no shame. :td: :upyours: :mad:

martyh 06-02-2010 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34958981)
In Scotland you can be reported if the crime is minor and the identity of the accused is known so no need for arresting, fingerprinting and DNA'ing.

I'd imagine England and Wales are the same.

---------- Post added at 07:47 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Still its nice to see that they have realised the level of public anger and are taking their chances in court without trying to wriggle out of it by effectively claiming that MP's are better than the public and above the law.

Oh...

Absolutely no shame. :td: :upyours: :mad:

it's disgusting that these MP's think they can use an obscure law meant to ensure freedom of speech in the houses of parliament to wriggle out of criminal fraud charges .They all claim they have done nothing wrong ,they all claim they have paperwork to back up there expenses claims and they all claim that a error has been made so why not got to court and proove it ?

Jimmy-J 10-03-2010 23:40

Update...

Quote:

Labour MP Harry Cohen is being investigated by the police over his expenses claims, the BBC understands.
Link

nomadking 10-03-2010 23:50

Then there is the one who got away because the documents were 'accidentally' shredded.

Derek 11-03-2010 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 34978095)
Then there is the one who got away because the documents were 'accidentally' shredded.

Nevermind that. What about Ashcroft? Oh and it's all Maggies fault anyway ©Labour 1997 - 2010 :D

nomadking 11-03-2010 00:10

Geoffrey Robinson, Ron Davies, Joe Ashton, Peter Mandelson, Fiona Jones(convicted of expenses fraud by a jury, but an appeal judge said the law didn't exist in the first place:rolleyes:) and many, many other Labour MPs.

papa smurf 11-03-2010 07:27

Former minister Elliot Morley, MP for Scunthorpe, will face two charges in relation to a total of £30,000 of mortgage interest claims on a property in Winterton, Lincolnshire between 2004 and 2007.

The charges allege he made claims "in excess of that to which he was entitled" and - for part of the period when "there was no longer a mortgage on that property".

i shall be watching this one with great interest - claiming this as an oversight is just taking the p... out of all of the Uk's citizens , i want nothing short of gaol for this blatant theft:mad:

oversight my bottom ,if he claims that in court the judge should throw the book at him :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Osem 11-03-2010 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 34978095)

Yeah odd that.... Now who was it again?... the name escapes me...... :rolleyes:

Dangerous things shredders, you know, especially when they're in the wrong hands! Rumour has it that No.10 has an array of high speed shredders on permanent standby just in case..... :D

papa smurf 11-03-2010 16:24

'Expenses fraud' MPs plead with court not to make them sit in dock... and then insist they should not be put on trial

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0hszQ5wFR
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad:

Chris 11-03-2010 16:30

Absolutely unbelievable.

Derek 11-03-2010 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34978454)
Absolutely unbelievable.

Completely shameless :mad:

Osem 30-07-2010 10:01

Having lost round one in their battle to avoid legal accountability for their actions,....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10293475

Quote:

Three ex Labour MPs and an ex Tory peer are set to stand trial over expenses fraud allegations after a judge ruled they could not claim parliamentary privilege to stop prosecution.
Mr Justice Saunders rejected arguments by Elliott Morley, David Chaytor, Jim Devine and Lord Hanningfield that only Parliament could hear their case.
... the snouts in the trough brigade have just lost their appeal according to the Beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10814765

Osem 10-11-2010 11:05

Well they've lost their latest appeal in the Supreme Court:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11724838

Quote:

Three former Labour MPs should face criminal trials over their expenses claims, the Supreme Court has ruled. It rejected an appeal by David Chaytor, Elliot Morley and Jim Devine that their cases should be heard by Parliament, not the courts.
The impending court case could prove very interesting and not a little embarrasing....

Pierre 10-11-2010 11:11

Good.

String 'em up.

Mick Fisher 10-11-2010 16:04

My day has just got a bit better.

Osem 03-12-2010 13:11

According to the beeb, former Labour MP David Chaytor has pleaded guilty to 3 charges of false accounting at the Old Bailey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11904007

Derek 03-12-2010 14:09

Ho ho ho. :)

So the whole charade of claiming immunity was a desperate waste of tax payers money then? Hope he gets nailed to the wall when it comes to sentencing.

Mick Fisher 03-12-2010 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35132061)
Ho ho ho. :)

So the whole charade of claiming immunity was a desperate waste of tax payers money then? Hope he gets nailed to the wall when it comes to sentencing.

:tu:

Ravenheart 07-01-2011 14:49

Ex-Labour MP David Chaytor jailed for 18 months for making over £20,000 in fraudulent expenses claims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12127327

Osem 07-01-2011 14:56

Good! I wonder if the others might be tempted to change their pleas.

What's the betting there'll be an appeal and subsequent reduction in sentence?

Julian 07-01-2011 15:02

Good riddance.

He will go down as a fitting legacy of a Labour government.

Pierre 07-01-2011 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 35148772)
Ex-Labour MP David Chaytor jailed for 18 months for making over £20,000 in fraudulent expenses claims.

Hurrah!

Mick Fisher 07-01-2011 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35148780)
Good riddance.

:clap:

budwieser 07-01-2011 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 35148780)
Good riddance.

He`ll probably have to go down on something in jail anyway. :D

Tezcatlipoca 07-01-2011 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenheart (Post 35148772)

I believe that his name is pronounced "David Cheater".

frogstamper 07-01-2011 19:58

Despicable, this guy along with the three others have tried their level best to get out of a trial from the get go, we now know why.
This greedy sod has brought shame upon politics and the Labour party and deserves the sentence he received.
As far as the rest of the so called "honourable members" and IPSA, the body that replaced the old disgraced fee's office goes they have now deemed it not financially worth publishing MP's expense receipts anymore.
I wondered how long it would take for the new independent IPSA to cave in on some of their new rules.

martyh 07-01-2011 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogstamper (Post 35148961)
Despicable, this guy along with the three others have tried their level best to get out of a trial from the get go, we now know why.
This greedy sod has brought shame upon politics and the Labour party and deserves the sentence he received.
As far as the rest of the so called "honourable members" and IPSA, the body that replaced the old disgraced fee's office goes they have now deemed it not financially worth publishing MP's expense receipts anymore.
I wondered how long it would take for the new independent IPSA to cave in on some of their new rules.

the ipsa may not be publishing anymore (hadn't heard that) but the info is still going to be freely available though isn't it? ,because it would be financially viable for the press to publish it as i'm sure they will

Derek 11-01-2011 10:50

Eric Illsley has pled guilty as well.

He's still an MP for now, expect that to change.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is all a ploy to ruin Ken Clarkes plan to reduce the prison population :D

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12157768

Osem 11-01-2011 11:03

What a fine example these people are to us all eh!.... :rolleyes:

Derek 11-01-2011 12:05

And Jim Devine. Him getting send down will be almost as good as 'Comrade' Sheridan getting found guilty of perjury.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/01/78.jpg

nomadking 11-01-2011 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35150518)
Eric Illsley has pled guilty as well.

He's still an MP for now, expect that to change.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is all a ploy to ruin Ken Clarkes plan to reduce the prison population :D

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12157768

I wonder if by pleading guilty to a lesser amount(ie £14,500) than the amount charged(£25,000), he hopes to get a shorter prison sentence than the other guy who was convicted for a £22,000+ fraud.

If the sentence is less than 12 months, he might be able to still be a MP or at least become one again.

Ravenheart 12-01-2011 14:22

Breaking news Eric Illsley to stand down as MP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12174117

Osem 16-01-2011 13:43

MP reports colleagues....

Quote:

A serving MP has reported six parliamentary colleagues - including two former cabinet ministers - to police over alleged abuse of expenses, it was reported today.

The Sunday Times claimed that the Labour MP, who represents a northern constituency, passed details of alleged wrongdoing to police because he believes he was unfairly singled out for investigation over his own allowances.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...xpenses-claims

Hmmm... a disgruntled northern MP - I wonder who that could be?... Anyway, it seems there may be more to come in this sorry tale of people who really ought to have known better!

papa smurf 16-01-2011 13:55

Re: MP reports colleagues....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35153559)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...xpenses-claims

Seems there may be more to come in this sorry tale of people who really ought to know better...

we might need a u turn on the decision to close some prisons, at this rate we'll need all the places we can find .

Osem 25-01-2011 17:29

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12275821

Quote:

Ex-Tory peer Lord Taylor of Warwick has been found guilty of making £11,277 in false parliamentary expenses claims.

The 58-year-old peer claimed travel costs between his Oxford home and Westminster, as well as subsistence for staying in London.

He claimed he had made the false claims "in lieu of a salary", and had been acting on the advice of colleagues.
:mad:

Mick Fisher 25-01-2011 17:52

Him being found guilty made my day.

Lets hope he goes down for a good while.

Osem 04-02-2011 11:37

Quote:

A former Labour MP accused of faking expenses asked a stationery company to confirm he had paid for orders when he never did so, a court has heard.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12357996

Derek 04-02-2011 12:11

Also his claims seemed to be for the same amount as his overdraft, how very convenient.

I have to say I'm surprised he's taking it to trial, his defence might be a popcorn moment.

Osem 31-03-2011 13:18

Quote:

Ex-Labour MP Jim Devine has been jailed for 16 months for fraudulently claiming £8,385 in expenses.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12918742

Good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35202846)

Quote:

Devine was declared bankrupt last month, following a separate hearing at Livingston Sheriff Court.

The insolvency order was made after he failed to pay his former office manager Marion Kinley £35,000 for unfair dismissal.
What a fine role model. :rolleyes:

Mick Fisher 31-03-2011 16:46

What 'e said :)

papa smurf 21-05-2011 10:14

Now an ex-MINISTER is jailed for expenses fraud: Weeping Elliot Morley sent down after claiming £30,000 in bogus mortgage claims

Former Cabinet minister Elliot Morley wept yesterday as he was jailed for 16 months for committing the biggest fraud in the parliamentary expenses scandal.
The ex-Labour MP swindled more than £31,000 for mortgage payments from the public purse.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1MycDHdaQ

:clap::clap::clap:

Mick Fisher 21-05-2011 13:07

Great news but............
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daily Mail Article
He was sent to Wandsworth Prison and could be released with an electronic tag by September, having served just four months behind bars.

4 months bird and 12 months tag for 30 grand. If that was advertised as a job there would be a queue round the block

Sends the message that Crime Does Pay If You Are An Ex-MP

:( :confused:

Osem 21-05-2011 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35241746)
Now an ex-MINISTER is jailed for expenses fraud: Weeping Elliot Morley sent down after claiming £30,000 in bogus mortgage claims

Former Cabinet minister Elliot Morley wept yesterday as he was jailed for 16 months for committing the biggest fraud in the parliamentary expenses scandal.
The ex-Labour MP swindled more than £31,000 for mortgage payments from the public purse.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1MycDHdaQ

:clap::clap::clap:

I wonder if they were tears of remorse or indignation...... :rolleyes:

I do have some sympathy for him and his fellow jailbirds, however, since certain lordly snouts in the "Upper House's" much abused trough seem to have got off very lightly indeed.....

Derek 26-05-2011 15:24

Another one found guilty. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13558360

Quote:

The peer and former Essex Council leader Lord Hanningfield has been found guilty of fiddling his expenses.

Osem 26-05-2011 15:58

As one expenses cheat is convicted another is released after serving less than 1/3 of his sentence:

Quote:

Former MP David Chaytor has been released from jail after serving almost a third of his 18-month prison sentence for fiddling his expenses.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13560351

papa smurf 26-05-2011 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35245192)

As he left court, White said he might appeal adding: "I'm devastated but I have no regrets. I did nothing wrong."

no regrets no remorse - this prat should serve a full prison sentence :mad:

Osem 31-05-2011 13:10

Lord Taylor goes down for a year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13599624

For someone with quite a legal brain, apparently, he seems to have had some issues differentiating between the basics of right and wrong.

Quote:

Southwark Crown Court heard he claimed travel costs between his Oxford home and Westminster, as well as subsistence for staying in London.
He'll be out in about 4 months no doubt.....

Derek 31-05-2011 13:16

At least we now know why they made prison life easier and set up numerous early release schemes in the last few years!

Osem 31-05-2011 13:19

:rofl: :rofl:

Wouldn't put it past these people!

Derek 01-08-2011 13:05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14364037

Quote:

Former Labour MP Jim Devine has been released from prison after serving a quarter of his 16-month sentence for expenses fraud.

Osem 01-08-2011 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35281656)

1/4 of his sentence FGS! Why doesn't this surprise me one iota??..... :mad:

Mick Fisher 01-08-2011 17:55

As usual it's not what you know but who you know.

Chris 01-08-2011 18:48

TBH I'd rather he was confined to quarters. It means we're not picking up his dinner bills (at last).

martyh 01-08-2011 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35281680)
1/4 of his sentence FGS! Why doesn't this surprise me one iota??..... :mad:

did you really expect him to go to a proper prison and serve a proper sentence he's been in a hotel for gods sake

Hobbies kits during lock-up
In-cell power
Own bedding
Own clothes
Playstation
Television (£1 per week)

Sports available include;
  • Badminton
  • Basketball
  • Circuit Training
  • Light Circuit Training
  • Over 40s
  • Remedial
  • Soft Tennis
  • Sports Field
  • Volleyball
  • Weight Loss Programme
  • Weight Training

Osem 01-08-2011 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35281796)
did you really expect him to go to a proper prison and serve a proper sentence he's been in a hotel for gods sake

Hobbies kits during lock-up
In-cell power
Own bedding
Own clothes
Playstation
Television (£1 per week)

Sports available include;
  • Badminton
  • Basketball
  • Circuit Training
  • Light Circuit Training
  • Over 40s
  • Remedial
  • Soft Tennis
  • Sports Field
  • Volleyball
  • Weight Loss Programme
  • Weight Training

I see. So the rationale behind releasing this git early is to save the taxpayer money then?... :rolleyes: ;)

martyh 01-08-2011 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35281828)
I see. So the rationale behind releasing this git early is to save the taxpayer money then?... :rolleyes: ;)

i think we are supposed to be apeased do you feel apeased?

Osem 01-08-2011 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35281841)
i think we are supposed to be apeased do you feel apeased?

Yes, I feel much better now that someone whose integrity was taken for granted but who decided to cheat the system has been so severely punished. Let this man's terrible, but entirely justified ordeal, serve as a sober warning for others out there who might be tempted to abuse their positions and do likewise!!!... :rolleyes:

martyh 01-08-2011 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35281847)
Yes, I feel much better now that someone whose integrity was taken for granted but who decided to cheat the system has been so severely punished. Let this man's terrible, but entirely justified ordeal, serve as a sober warning for others out there who might be tempted to abuse their positions and do likewise!!!... :rolleyes:

Actually i wouldn't mind 6 months in there myself i am feeling a little run down lately and work has become somewhat of a chore :D

Osem 01-08-2011 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35281854)
Actually i wouldn't mind 6 months in there myself i am feeling a little run down lately and work has become somewhat of a chore :D

The thing is you wouldn't get 6 months in there - they'd bang you up in some hell hole somewhere.... ;)

martyh 01-08-2011 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35281856)
The thing is you wouldn't get 6 months in there - they'd bang you up in some hell hole somwehere.... ;)

you're probably right ;)

denphone 02-08-2011 05:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35281656)

Thats absolutely pathetic in my mind.:mad::mad:

Chris 06-09-2011 11:55

Now Margaret Moran (ex)MP is going to get her day in court:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-14804698

Quote:

The former Luton South MP is to be prosecuted for allegedly claiming parliamentary expenses illegally.
Margaret Moran, who stepped down at the 2010 General Election, will face 21 charges in relation to claims, Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer said.

Osem 07-09-2011 15:29

Yes, a very timely reminder for us all that many of our glorious leaders who've been so vocal in condemn wrongdoing and corruption in the Met, News Intl. etc. etc. aren't exactly beyond reproach themselves.

Mick Fisher 07-09-2011 19:16

One would hope the sactimonious cow would go down for a long stretch for being so blatent about it.

But if past form is anything to go by it will be just a few months in an open prison. After the customery sentence review for whatever she'll be out and about after a few weeks no doubt.

martyh 07-09-2011 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Fisher (Post 35297702)
One would hope the sactimonious cow would go down for a long stretch for being so blatent about it.

But if past form is anything to go by it will be just a few months in an open prison. After the customery sentence review for whatever she'll be out and about after a few weeks no doubt.

You're forgetting one thing though Mick ,the way the judges are locking up people for the most trivial of crimes during the riots one would expect her to get at least 10 of the best at her majesties pleasure by way of showing an example to the "criminal underclass".Or is she a member of the criminal upperclass and not subject to the same moral code

Mick Fisher 07-09-2011 23:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35297728)
You're forgetting one thing though Mick ,the way the judges are locking up people for the most trivial of crimes during the riots one would expect her to get at least 10 of the best at her majesties pleasure by way of showing an example to the "criminal underclass".Or is she a member of the criminal upperclass and not subject to the same moral code

Well " the way the judges are locking up people for the most trivial of crimes during the riots" did cross my mind.

We shall see if or not she is judged to be a member of the criminal upper class.

Nice terminology on your part by the way. :)

Derek 12-09-2011 10:31

Another criminal has been dealt with to the full extent of the law. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14881229

Quote:

A former Conservative peer jailed for fiddling his parliamentary expenses has been released from prison early, the BBC understands.

Lord Hanningfield was jailed for nine months in July after being found guilty of six counts of false accounting.

Osem 12-09-2011 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35299232)
Another criminal has been dealt with to the full extent of the law. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14881229

Sounds like he served about 25% of his sentence then. It's so refreshing to see how punitive the sentences being handed down really are eh? :rolleyes:

Gary L 12-09-2011 11:17

It's things like this that give a reason to some people to riot.

Mick Fisher 12-09-2011 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35299245)
It's things like this that give a reason to some people to riot.

I think you have a valid point.

Derek 15-12-2011 20:18

Arf!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-16203947

Quote:

Former MPs David Chaytor, Elliot Morley and Eric Illsley have been told to repay thousands of pounds in legal costs after their convictions for fraudulently claiming expenses.

Morley has been asked to repay the largest amount, £56,181 in total. Chaytor has been asked to repay £46,212 while Illsley faces a claim for £23,087.

AdamD 15-12-2011 20:29

They should repay it, with interest added from the time they STOLE it.

Osem 15-12-2011 21:42

Excellent news! They're just as bad as those pesky porcine peers..... :mad:

Mick Fisher 16-12-2011 13:39

:woot:

Hugh 27-04-2012 15:18

Bit of a bump, but here we go....

BBC
Quote:

Former Luton South MP Margaret Moran, who is accused of fiddling her parliamentary expenses, is not fit to stand trial, a court has been told.

Consultant forensic psychiatrist Philip Joseph said that Ms Moran, 56, was suffering from a depressive illness and extreme anxiety and agitation.
Whilst I have every sympathy with those suffering from stress/depression/etc, I am a little suspicious of this manifestation.

Perhaps if she hadn't fiddled her expenses (allegedly), she might not be so "stressed"?

Quote:

Dr Joseph told Lewes Crown Court the stress of the proceedings and allegations she was facing made it impossible for her to participate in court proceedings.
Must try that one next time I am up in court.....

Osem 27-04-2012 15:32

Wonder if this depressive illness will prove as long term and debilitating as Ernest Saunders' dementia.... :rolleyes:

TheDaddy 28-04-2012 03:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35419929)
Must try that one next time I am up in court.....

Next time Hugh? :D

Hugh 28-04-2012 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35420143)

;)

Osem 28-04-2012 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35420143)

Do you reckon he's been fiddling his CF expenses and the reputation store cupboard?.. :D