Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Free V6 box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705962)

Broken Hope 23-01-2018 12:28

Free V6 box

Not sure if everyone can get it but in MyVirginMedia I was able to upgrade one of my old TiVo boxes to a V6 for no cost, not even the £20 activation charge.

Mad Max 23-01-2018 13:08

Re: Free V6 box

It does happen..

daveeb 23-01-2018 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Hope (Post 35933537)
Not sure if everyone can get it but in MyVirginMedia I was able to upgrade one of my old TiVo boxes to a V6 for no cost, not even the £20 activation charge.

They've offered me one free, twice so far. Yet to take them up on the offer but yes they definitely do it.

Mad Max 23-01-2018 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35933554)
They've offered me one free, twice so far. Yet to take them up on the offer but yes they definitely do it.

Why didn't you take it mate, they are a huge improvement on the old TiVo.

denphone 23-01-2018 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933556)

Most definitely MM.

SnoopZ 23-01-2018 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35933554)

You should take it up asap before they change their mind!

StopThePigeon 23-01-2018 17:00

The only reason, not to take a V6, is losing the recordings on the TiVo - nothing, at all, to do with cost.

A few weeks back, there was talk of VM providing a copy function from TiVo to V6, but that seems to have died a death.

BenMcr 23-01-2018 17:01

There are no current plans to offer a copy of recordings.

You can already copy Series Link+, Thumbs and recording Wishlist settings between TiVo based boxes.

OLD BOY 23-01-2018 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by StopThePigeon (Post 35933582)
The only reason, not to take a V6, is losing the recordings on the TiVo - nothing, at all, to do with cost.

A few weeks back, there was talk of VM providing a copy function from TiVo to V6, but that seems to have died a death.

The best way to avoid the loss of material you haven't yet seen is to watch as much as possible by the beginning of autumn (there will be less good material to record during the summer, so at this point your list will be a short as it's likely to get.

Next, work out what you can watch in a different way (eg through Virgin Media On Demand, Netflix, Amazon, Now TV, TV Player, etc).

Then watch what you are left with before your new box arrives. Once you have your new V6 installed, start recording on there and in the meantime, catch up with the other stuff you wanted to see before it is taken off the relevant streaming, catch up and on demand services.

That's what I did prior to changing my box and I didn't miss a thing in the end, despite the long list I had!

Raider999 23-01-2018 17:14

I would have thought the easiest way would be to add an extra box (v6) for a month or 2 whilst watching things on old TiVo box - remove the TiVo box when everything watched.

Yes it would cost extra for a month or 2, but would be easier to do.

StopThePigeon 23-01-2018 17:15

And that is the real blocker, for moving to V6 - paying VM a premium for a very neat PVR service, that is not transferrable, ruins the cost justification of building a collection of recordings. With or without the option of the V6, the need to replace a TiVo box with another TiVo box (performance, disk failure, fatigue, etc.) defeats the point of investing in the product.

BenMcr 23-01-2018 17:41

The V6 is TiVo based, which means you can transfer the settings across.

But there has never been an option to transfer the recordings themselves from any type of Virgin Media PVR to another physical box.

daveeb 23-01-2018 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933556)

I probably should have and may live to regret it. Reasons at the time were
1. slight suspicion at the offer and wondered if there was a catch
2. recordings I don't really want to lose
3. currently pipe signal to other tv's via scart to rf modulator > rf distributor and would lose that option. Would be trickier to split/send hdmi signal.

but yes, i probably shouldn't have looked a gift horse in the mouth :dunce:

cheekyangus 23-01-2018 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933583)
There are no current plans to offer a copy of recordings.

You can already copy Series Link+, Thumbs and recording Wishlist settings between TiVo based boxes.

Ben, do VM backup these up regularly over the box broadband connection or do you need to ask the engineer (or a VM rep over the phone if a self install) to do this?

I wouldn't like to lose my settings because I assumed something.

spiderplant 23-01-2018 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35933601)
Ben, do VM backup these up regularly over the box broadband connection or do you need to ask the engineer (or a VM rep over the phone if a self install) to do this?

I wouldn't like to lose my settings because I assumed something.

They are backed up to a server automatically, and remain available for two weeks after the box is removed

vincerooney 24-01-2018 00:15

How do i get it? We have two old tivos and i cant see the offer?

All i get is:

"Changing your package online:
It's likely that you can still grab one of our excellent TV, broadband or phone packages for some of that Virgin Media magic. You can get in touch using our webchat or you can speak to us on the phone by calling 150* from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111* from any other phone.

*For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary."

Was anyones v6 loud last night for 90 mins?

denphone 24-01-2018 05:09

They say from what my eyes can see they will contact Virgin customers Vince.

Quote:

Virgin Media is now offering free upgrades to its Virgin TV V6 box to existing customers.

All customers who take both TV and broadband packages can swap their older set-top-box, whether that's the TiVo box or V+ box, for the 4K-capable V6 box at no cost.

Nor will it impact current contracts, so there is no penalty for doing so.
Quote:

Eligible customers will be contacted shortly with details on how to upgrade their existing boxes

spiderplant 24-01-2018 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35933645)
Was anyones v6 loud last night for 90 mins?

Which channels/programmes?

---------- Post added at 09:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 ----------

http://www.virginmedia.com/corporate...s-top-box.html

heero_yuy 24-01-2018 09:37

Don't forget that the V6 box has no SD SCART output so if your using that on the Tivo for a VCR/DVD/HDD/PVR recorder or an RF Modulator you'll need to source an alternative solution.

vincerooney 24-01-2018 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933651)

Thought you could do it online I’m lazy den... :( anyone else done this free box deal?

As for the loud v6 it’s after I turn it off and goes on for about 20 minutes+

BenMcr 24-01-2018 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933651)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35933672)
Thought you could do it online I’m lazy den... :( anyone else done this free box deal?

From the Press Release:

Quote:

Eligible customers will be contacted in the coming weeks with details of how they can request their V6 box. The vast majority will be able to self-install avoiding the need for an engineer visit.

Bob 24-01-2018 09:48

I presume this would include customers with older V and V+ boxes too? :-)

muppetman11 24-01-2018 09:51

Shows how competitive a market we are in , the likes of Sky and Virgin are now having to play catch up with the OTT providers.

The Yank 24-01-2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933590)
The V6 is TiVo based, which means you can transfer the settings across.

But there has never been an option to transfer the recordings themselves from any type of Virgin Media PVR to another physical box.

it would however be a nice addition and make life simpler for so many people when they switch boxes.

Raider999 24-01-2018 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35933676)
it would however be a nice addition and make life simpler for so many people when they switch boxes.

Agreed, however there could be technical issues - are the recordings stored in the same format on V6 boxes compared with legacy boxes?

BenMcr 24-01-2018 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 35933674)

I'd expect so yes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35933676)

I can't see it being simpler, as it would need to be a method that is by design not simple to ensure that the content can't be copied off to another device.

spiderplant 24-01-2018 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35933672)

Oh, so the box itself is noisy? You need to report that to VM. (This really could have done with its own thread, vince ;))

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35933681)
Agreed, however there could be technical issues - are the recordings stored in the same format on V6 boxes compared with legacy boxes?

There are both technical and legal issues. It's not going to happen.

cheekyangus 24-01-2018 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35933611)
They are backed up to a server automatically, and remain available for two weeks after the box is removed

Thanks spiderplant. :-)

nodrogd 24-01-2018 10:32

Quote:

Looks like its anyone with anything other than a V6. You must also have Virgin Broadband though. Anyone who doesn't can only have a standard TiVO.

Bob 24-01-2018 10:33

It's the parents. They have broadband so they should be fine for the upgrade :-)

SnoopZ 24-01-2018 11:15

You WONT need to enter a new contract to get a free box swap.

trickytree 24-01-2018 15:24

Proper annoying that a high payer on VIP bundle with 1 V6 I don't qualify to get the old, clicking . slow TiVo replaced but others paying hardly anything do.
Great policy

SnoopZ 24-01-2018 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickytree (Post 35933746)
Proper annoying that a high payer on VIP bundle with 1 V6 I don't qualify to get the old, clicking . slow TiVo replaced but others paying hardly anything do.
Great policy

I would give them a call and make a fuss, i am sure you will get it replaced eventually.

Raider999 24-01-2018 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35933748)
I would give them a call and make a fuss, i am sure you will get it replaced eventually.

I would tell them it is missing recordings, keeps needing resetting etc and see where you get.

BenMcr 24-01-2018 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickytree (Post 35933746)
Great policy

The current VIP bundle comes with two Virgin TV V6 boxes, so you should see what options you have to change to the current version of VIP and get the two V6 boxes.

This particular activity is to ensure every TV bundle customer has one Virgin TV V6. Even if I didn't work for Virgin Media, I can only see this as a good thing to help as many customers as possible get the same TV experience.

OLD BOY 24-01-2018 16:32

Here is an article about the free upgrade. Notice they are confirming that they will be more proactive on commissioning OTT content. This is where our new stuff will come from, I think, rather than new channels.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018/...pgrade-scheme/

figgyburn 24-01-2018 17:58

I have a couple of vhd boxes.I pay £6 p.m. extra for the second one.Do you think it will just be straight swops(self installs?)and the second charge stays the same.

Rjs37 24-01-2018 22:38

Pretty similar to the previous query. Currently got a Tivo and a V+ box, will they upgrade just one or both boxes?

And would there be any extra monthly charge? (like there used to be for making your second box a Tivo too). Already paying over £100pm at the moment.

SnoopZ 24-01-2018 22:48

Phone them up.

Mr K 25-01-2018 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35933767)
I have a couple of vhd boxes.I pay £6 p.m. extra for the second one.Do you think it will just be straight swops(self installs?)and the second charge stays the same.

I've got a tivo and a vhd.

Rang up about this offer a few months ago, when they were charging the £20. Didn't want to swap the Tivo, ever so fond of it's scart output, but wanted to swap the Vhd for a V6. There was an extra monthly charge, reason being it was a recordable box, has this changed ?

cheekyangus 25-01-2018 10:43

I'm getting impression from some places that you need a Superhub 3 for a V6. Is SH2 not compatible in some way?

BenMcr 25-01-2018 10:45

SuperHub 2 and 2ac are currently compatible, however Virgin Media will offer the Hub 3.0 quite often along with the V6.

cheekyangus 25-01-2018 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933873)
SuperHub 2 and 2ac are currently compatible, however Virgin Media will offer the Hub 3.0 quite often along with the V6.

Thanks BenMcr. Wowsers that was a speedy reply!

japitts 25-01-2018 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35933681)

Possibly - but this is the biggest hurdle I have. I've never quite agreed with the idea of the V6 sharing my home broadband, much prefer the idea of the box having dedicated connections.

But inability to transfer recordings when we don't watch some programs until well beyond 3/4 weeks after broadcast..that's my issue. I know you can rely on OD services upto a point, but it's still a pain when I'm pretty happy with my 1Tb box in the grand scheme.

I know one day probably within 18months I'll changeover, but I find my Tivo performs perfectly well and "if it ain't broke"...

alwaysabear 25-01-2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933873)

I do not want SH3, will I still be able to have the V6?

BenMcr 25-01-2018 13:33

As far as I know the overall rules haven't changed at this stage - so if you've got a 2 or 2ac you'd keep it.

However I can't guarantee that won't ever change.

alwaysabear 25-01-2018 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933910)
As far as I know the overall rules haven't changed at this stage - so if you've got a 2 or 2ac you'd keep it.

However I can't guarantee that won't ever change.

Thanks for the prompt reply Ben:)

raging bull 25-01-2018 17:58

Ordered V6 free, no extra contract term but to wait till 2nd Feb for self install delivery.

vincerooney 25-01-2018 19:25

Few questions:

1) Do i need to phone to get a V6 or wait for them to come to me? im seeing conflicting answers. (i currently have 1 v6 and 2 old tivos)
2) I know it needs superhub 3 for it to work how does that work with multiple v6s? the v6 is in my bedroom and the superhub is next to it in my bed. How do you get it downstairs? they install another modem downstairs? That sounds bonkers haha

MichaelScofield 25-01-2018 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35933976)
Few questions:

1) Do i need to phone to get a V6 or wait for them to come to me? im seeing conflicting answers. (i currently have 1 v6 and 2 old tivos)
2) I know it needs superhub 3 for it to work how does that work with multiple v6s? the v6 is in my bedroom and the superhub is next to it in my bed. How do you get it downstairs? they install another modem downstairs? That sounds bonkers haha

The free V6 offer isn't open to customers who already have one V6 box, as I think I have read this elsewhere.
Another V6 box would be able to connect to your current Superhub over Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

alwaysabear 25-01-2018 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35933976)
Few questions:

You don't have to have sh3 Vince according to Ben post#46.

Mr K 25-01-2018 21:29

Are they still charging you a monthly subscription ? It's not 'free',. It's an invite to stay and pay them for years to come ...Another price rise coming very soon if I know VM and their 'free upgrades' ;)

SnoopZ 25-01-2018 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35934005)
Are they still charging you a monthly subscription ? It's not 'free',. It's an invite to stay and pay them for years to come ...Another price rise coming very soon if I know VM and their 'free upgrades' ;)

The prices always go up though regardless, but they're far too high if you ask me, just like Sky.

denphone 26-01-2018 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35934005)

Nothing is free as they say..

RobboEdin 26-01-2018 10:39

I’m sure I saw something that suggested this program was costing Virgin Media £100 million, so around £20-25 per customer.
£2 per month per customer. Perhaps part of the reason for the November 2017 increase.

muppetman11 26-01-2018 10:58

In the long run it will be making them money you can bet on that , remember when Sky invested a large sum connecting people's Sky boxes to the internet with free adaptors look at how they are now doing with transactional sales through things like Sky Store.

No business gives money away

spiderplant 26-01-2018 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35934063)
£2 per month per customer

An error in your logic. Boxes last a lot longer than 12 months on average.

Doz007 26-01-2018 11:47

Once everyone is moved to the new V6 boxes will this pave the way for a new updated UI similar to the one that recently rolled out to the US TiVo boxes?

oliver1948uk 26-01-2018 12:21

Just ordered online a V6 to replace my Tivo. Coming to a local shop on 7 February.

HERE

RobboEdin 26-01-2018 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35934071)
An error in your logic. Boxes last a lot longer than 12 months on average.

I appreciate that. I was just trying to attribute the increased revenue from the annual price increase to this program.

Matth 26-01-2018 16:01

Not sure if my Tivo is 500GB or 1TB (59h HD, 257 SD). Wouldn't mind a faster 1TB box, but I'd miss the SCART and the lights that have me checking what suggestion it's decided to record.
And got some things to watch, or SCART to my DVD/HDD recorder.

I think I'd have to get a splitter + converter, and wish for good luck with the evil HDCP

BenMcr 26-01-2018 16:24

You've got a 500GB box I believe - the 1TB box used to say it's 120 hours for HD. Not sure what it'll say once the MPEG4 changes are complete.

OLD BOY 26-01-2018 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35934154)
You've got a 500GB box I believe - the 1TB box used to say it's 120 hours for HD. Not sure what it'll say once the MPEG4 changes are complete.

240 would be good! :)

johnathome 26-01-2018 17:31

So how come when these V6 first came out you had to have an installer visit, with the associated payment, yet you can now install yourself.

Has something changed on the backend or was it just a money grab because it was new tech?

spiderplant 26-01-2018 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35934167)
So how come when these V6 first came out you had to have an installer visit, with the associated payment, yet you can now install yourself.

Has something changed on the backend or was it just a money grab because it was new tech?

Many reasons, but it certainly wasn't a money grab. Sending a technician is expensive, and VM would really rather avoid it if possible.

vincerooney 26-01-2018 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelScofield (Post 35933992)
The free V6 offer isn't open to customers who already have one V6 box, as I think I have read this elsewhere.
Another V6 box would be able to connect to your current Superhub over Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Ah many thanks for this.

Damn shame the old tivo boxes are slow as heck. i feel guilty sitting in my boxroom with superfast loading netflix whilst the people downstairs suffer even getting to the tv guide...oh well ho ho

Mythica 27-01-2018 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35934167)

The the manned installation was free up until self instal became available.

RichardCoulter 27-01-2018 02:24

Is this free box upgrade available to those on the minimum M/Player packs?

oliver1948uk 27-01-2018 03:23

Yes. I am on M TV, though I do have 100 broadband. I ordered the V6 online and it went through straight away. Will not be delivered for a week and a half.

RichardCoulter 27-01-2018 06:10

Thanks, I'll let my relative know :)

Skie 28-01-2018 01:17

Paid £20 to get ours last week. Oh well!

If you want to keep your Tivo recordings, heres how:
  1. Unplug your tivo from the coax, but leave it powered on
  2. Call the activation line
  3. Connect the v6 up
  4. Simples

It should last a couple of weeks before the old Tivo box dies. You can't access the old recordings via the V6 over a network, as VM remove the Tivo box from your account and the V6 will only connect to other devices on your network that are part of your account (bit stingy there VM, but oh well). You have to just use another HDMI connection for the old Tivo whilst you watch recordings.

The self-install box has a leaflet in saying you dont need to return the old box you are replacing, so theoretically you can keep it running like this until it decides it's giving up trying to connect and commits harri-kari.

RichardCoulter 28-01-2018 06:09

What a good idea :)

Mr K 28-01-2018 19:13

How quiet is the V6 ? Currently got a none recording VHD in the bedroom, which is quite as a mouse and totally powers down at night via the remote.

Wouldn't want lights and any sort of noise going off and on all night (there's no way i'd have a Tivo in the bedroom). Just wondered before I make enquiries to VM.

OLD BOY 28-01-2018 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35934448)
How quiet is the V6 ? Currently got a none recording VHD in the bedroom, which is quite as a mouse and totally powers down at night via the remote.

Wouldn't want lights and any sort of noise going off and on all night (there's no way i'd have a Tivo in the bedroom). Just wondered before I make enquiries to VM.

The V6 is very quiet and one of them is in our bedroom. Never hear a peep from it.

Unfortunately, it does have a light, but you can simply turn the box to face another way if it bothers you.

Thoroughly recommend the V6 - far, far better than the Tivo.

The Yank 28-01-2018 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35934450)
The V6 is very quiet and one of them is in our bedroom. Never hear a peep from it.

Unfortunately, it does have a light, but you can simply turn the box to face another way if it bothers you.

it has another benefit too. The remote doesn't near infra red which means it will work even if installed in a cupboard. That means that white light cannot even be seen.

SnoopZ 28-01-2018 19:41

You can always cover the red/white light with tape also.

Definitely recommend getting a V6, soooooo much better than the old Tivo.

spiderplant 28-01-2018 19:44

The V6 has an RF remote, so you can stick in a cupboard to solve the light problem. That will also help deaden any noise that is does make.

Raider999 28-01-2018 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35934454)
The V6 has an RF remote, so you can stick in a cupboard to solve the light problem. That will also help deaden any noise that is does make.

Never hear a squeak from either of my V6 boxes - they are often recording when I'm in bed

Mr K 28-01-2018 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35934450)

Ok, thanks - so I could put some black tape over the light. and the remote would still work? Keeping the TiVo, it's the VHD I'd replace if they let me. Last time I asked they wanted to increase the subscription.

OLD BOY 28-01-2018 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35934454)

If I put my ear to either of my V6s, it seems to make a very quiet 'exhaling' sound, but nothing you would notice at a greater distance.

I can't hear anything when in bed. Just a shame about the light, but at least you can mask it if necessary, one way or another.

spiderplant 28-01-2018 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35934470)
Ok, thanks - so I could put some black tape over the light. and the remote would still work?

The remote doesn't need line of sight. You could take it to another room and it will still work.

cityfan247 29-01-2018 13:06

I have 2 Tivos.

Does the free V6 upgrade cover both of them? If i was replacing one box i would really want both doing. Wont bother though if it is going to cost me.

BenMcr 29-01-2018 13:06

It'll cover one of the boxes.

cityfan247 29-01-2018 13:12

Cheers Ben

Would the 2nd box just be £20 (I could maybe justify that to myself and my better half) or are there any other costs?

BenMcr 29-01-2018 13:23

Possibly.

Have to be honest I'm not quite sure how the offer works when you then want to swap additional boxes.

cityfan247 29-01-2018 13:25

Thank you Ben.

Might give them a call.

cityfan247 29-01-2018 20:58

Spoke to a very helpful chap at VM.

Sorted 2 new V6's to replace the old Tivo's.

First one is part of the free upgrade and the 2nd will cost me £20. No change to my bundle and no new contract.

Had hoped to get it all for no charge (well you can hope can't you) but £20 is fine. The guy did initially say it would be £69.95 so got it down a bit.

Wild Oscar 30-01-2018 00:10

There used to be a way of getting your previous recordings from the TIVO to your desktop PC as I recall, but I think it got 'squashed' some time back!

BenMcr 30-01-2018 09:38

That's never been available on the Virgin Media boxes.

The Yank 30-01-2018 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35934592)
Spoke to a very helpful chap at VM.

Sorted 2 new V6's to replace the old Tivo's.

First one is part of the free upgrade and the 2nd will cost me £20. No change to my bundle and no new contract.

Had hoped to get it all for no charge (well you can hope can't you) but £20 is fine. The guy did initially say it would be £69.95 so got it down a bit.

there was an offer to change them FOC up till end of December.

Wild Oscar 30-01-2018 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35934642)
That's never been available on the Virgin Media boxes.

Maybe ... it involved taking out the hard drive, putting it in a caddy and connecting it to the PC, running a proggie and then extracting all the stuff on it ...

I found it on a US based site all about the TIVO boxes some time back now!

BenMcr 30-01-2018 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35934643)
there was an offer to change them FOC up till end of December.

Not for everyone there wasn't.

There was some targeted swaps for customers where they had older V HD or V+ HD boxes and were subscribing to Sky Sports HD.

I think there was also a targeted swap offer for some other customers too, the same as other offers have a target audience.

This current activity is the first one where all customers that don't already have a Virgin TV V6 box can get a free swap to one.

spiderplant 30-01-2018 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Oscar (Post 35934646)
Maybe ... it involved taking out the hard drive, putting it in a caddy and connecting it to the PC, running a proggie and then extracting all the stuff on it ...

I found it on a US based site all about the TIVO boxes some time back now!

That would be for original TiVos, which were basically analogue video recorders. VM TiVos have always had encrypted hard drives to prevent content being copied.

Mr K 30-01-2018 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35933849)
I've got a tivo and a vhd.

Rang up about this offer a few months ago, when they were charging the £20. Didn't want to swap the Tivo, ever so fond of it's scart output, but wanted to swap the Vhd for a V6. There was an extra monthly charge, reason being it was a recordable box, has this changed ?

So to answer my own question yes, you can swap a non-recording VHD (rather than a Tivo) for a V6 for no extra charge. The nice person in retentions said yes. It better be good ;)

mhatter67 30-01-2018 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35934679)
So to answer my own question yes, you can swap a non-recording VHD (rather than a Tivo) for a V6 for no extra charge. The nice person in retentions said yes. It better be good ;)

The only issue I had was the SH3 that normally comes as standard with a V6 box, my home plugs did not work consistently anymore with constant loss of connection, so I had to revert to WIFI connection to my V6 Tivo :(

Mr K 30-01-2018 13:21

A question - ideally would like to link my Tivo and V6 to watch recordings from each.

My tivo is already networked via ethernet cable. I'm anticipating using wifi for the V6. - will this work to link to the tivo or do i need to get the V6 hardwired into my home network with a powerline ?

BenMcr 30-01-2018 13:23

As long as it's a good WiFi connection, it'll work

Mr K 30-01-2018 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35934687)
As long as it's a good WiFi connection, it'll work

ta Ben, of course its a good wifi connection, I use Modem mode ;)

mhatter67 30-01-2018 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35934686)
A question - ideally would like to link my Tivo and V6 to watch recordings from each.

My tivo is already networked via ethernet cable. I'm anticipating using wifi for the V6. - will this work to link to the tivo or do i need to get the V6 hardwired into my home network with a powerline ?

Sorry someone will have to help you with one, but on certain recordings I can stream or download my recording to my tablet!

I never go an answer to my question why suddenly with the SH3 my home plugs did not work consistently anymore and now all my devices in our living room are wirelessly connected!

Mr K 30-01-2018 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhatter67 (Post 35934689)
Sorry someone will have to help you with one, but on certain recordings I can stream or download my recording to my tablet!

I never go an answer to my question why suddenly with the SH3 my home plugs did not work consistently anymore and now all my devices in our living room are wirelessly connected!

Unplug it all and start again ?

Got an SH2ac, they never said anything about needing an SH3.