Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707632)

cheekyangus 29-04-2019 10:56

New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

In amongst the new V.VIP pack and broadband speed level news today is this.

Quote:

Pick ‘n’ Mix TV packs

With Personal Picks, customers can pick and mix their TV options to create a personalised TV line-up and control the price they pay for the telly they love every month.

Available with Virgin Media’s great value Player bundle, customers can add up to four Entertainment Picks: Entertainment & Drama, Entertainment & Documentaries, Entertainment & Lifestyle and Entertainment & Sport Lite.

Each Pick includes Sky One, Sky Witness, Gold HD and Comedy Central HD as well as a great selection of channels relating to each of the four genres, plus must-see box sets.

Customers can add one Pick to their bundle for £10 per month with each subsequent Pick costing £7 per month. Picks can be changed every month.

A dedicated Kids Pick is also available on Player and Full House packages and will keep Virgin Media’s youngest viewers entertained for just £5 per month. This includes 11 channels, such as Disney XD, Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network, as well as many episodes available via catch-up and box sets.

Customers can also add a range of premium TV packs to their bundle such as Sky Sports, Sky Cinema HD and BT Sport, as well as subscribe to Netflix, Hayu and Starzplay.

On top of this, Full House and V.VIP customers can experience blockbuster entertainment in stunning 4K Ultra High Definition with the Virgin TV Ultra HD channel.

All customers can enjoy their favourite shows included in their bundle on the move with the Virgin TV Go app which can be accessed across multiple devices such as mobiles, tablets and laptops. Customers can watch live TV, catch up and on-demand box sets and Full House and V.VIP customers can also download a host of shows to watch offline.

Lutz Schüler concluded:

“Our new Personal Picks mean viewers can tune into the shows they love, picking and mixing the best channels around with the freedom and flexibility to change them every month.

“Whether it’s binge-worthy dramas like The Walking Dead, unearthing the planet’s secrets with a dazzling documentary or making sure they’re keeping up with Kardashians, Virgin Media customers can build a top telly line-up and stay in control of the price they pay for their package.”

Source: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...bundle-line-up

Taf 29-04-2019 11:20

Re: New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

I did a VM survey about this a few months ago. All the "packs" had bizarre names, but seemed to be weighted towards including certain channels, most of which I would never watch. So less about choice, more about charging more for mainstream channels. If I could ACTUALLY choose what channels I wanted, and pay less, I'd only choose about 6 channels that were not "free to air" on freeview.

hansi 29-04-2019 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35992661)
In amongst the new V.VIP pack and broadband speed level news today is this.

Source: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...bundle-line-up

Are they going to mail existing long term customers with these offers, or is it new customers only again:o::o:

spiderplant 29-04-2019 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansi (Post 35992666)
Are they going to mail existing long term customers with these offers, or is it new customers only again:o::o:

"New and existing customers..."

MatthewEastaugh 29-04-2019 13:01

Looks like they're taking the kids channels out of Full House, and putting them exclusively behind the extra £5 a month charge:

Quote:

A dedicated Kids Pick is also available on Player and Full House packages and will keep Virgin Media’s youngest viewers entertained for just £5 per month. This includes 11 channels, such as Disney XD, Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network, as well as many episodes available via catch-up and box sets.
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/bun...tvlistings-top

Mr K 29-04-2019 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewEastaugh (Post 35992678)
Looks like they're taking the kids channels out of Full House, and putting them exclusively behind the extra £5 a month charge:

Good, hope they have to use up their pocket money on it ;)

cheekyangus 29-04-2019 13:34

Quote:

Nice spot. I did read that, but clearly my coffee hadn't kicked in and I didn't see that interpretation of it.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

The table on that link now has the tiers being sold to the public as Player, Player + Drama (though you can change the +bundle part), Full House and V.VIP.

RichardCoulter 29-04-2019 13:54

Quote:

If this is the case, this is just what Now TV did.

This new pick 'n' mix system might work out for some people, but by the time you've paid an extra £10/£17, you might as well get Full House anyway.

The non discounted price of the Player Pack is £54 per month. Adding one pack makes it £64 and two makes it £71. The non discounted Full House is £78 (£60.94 with my discounts). As you can see, if I went for the Player Pack and one bundle, it would cost me £3.06 more for a lot less channels!

If I only wanted the basic service plus the childrens channels, I would save the princely sum of £1.94 per month, again, for a lot less channels.

Unknownguy 29-04-2019 13:59

Quote:

I'm guessing that's for new customers only?

cheekyangus 29-04-2019 13:59

I just looked closer at this. If you sort that table by Kids channels only the FTA ones will be in all packs. Only V.VIP will have the Pay TV ones.

If I assume packs such as Mix and Fun are now legacy packs but will remain with current Kids TV selection but are not available to new customers.

The table is not showing the Pay TV Kids channels under Full House, so either VM is automatically going to add the Add On to existing customers (which they can remove) or they are going to have two versions of the Full House tier, the old one, which will remain but no longer be sold to new customers and the new Full House.

I suspect the latter.

OLD BOY 29-04-2019 14:00

Quote:

It's only right, really. If you don't have children in your family, why should you be made to pay for the children's channels?

This is clearly an intelligent review of bundles, taking account of the growing attraction of skinny bundles and the anticipated cord cutting that is likely to take place here as it has in the States. Expect any new UHD channels that come along to be available only to Full House and V VIP customers.

Assuming that Sky Atlantic will make its way to VM shortly, I expect that channel too to be made available to top tier customers only.

No savings for me, it seems.

cheekyangus 29-04-2019 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35992691)
If this is the case, this is just what Now TV did.

This might work out for some people, but by the time you've paid an extra £10/£7, you might as well get Full House anyway.

The Pay TV kids TV channels aren't in the new Full House if the table is to be believed, so getting Full House in the future won't get you any extra Kids channels than Player. The earlier highlighted line from the Press Release suggests this too.

RichardCoulter 29-04-2019 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35992697)
The Pay TV kids TV channels aren't in the new Full House if the table is to be believed, so getting Full House in the future won't get you any extra Kids channels than Player. The earlier highlighted line from the Press Release suggests this too.

Whilst this won't affect me, this looks like a further devaluation of Full House then. There was a leak some time ago that said that VM were thinking of an add on kids pack, but I didn't think that they would be removed from Full House!

Unknownguy 29-04-2019 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35992694)
I just looked closer at this. If you sort that table by Kids channels only the FTA ones will be in all packs. Only V.VIP will have the Pay TV ones.

If I assume packs such as Mix and Fun are now legacy packs but will remain with current Kids TV selection but are not available to new customers.

The table is not showing the Pay TV Kids channels under Full House, so either VM is automatically going to add the Add On to existing customers (which they can remove) or they are going to have two versions os the Full House tier, the old one, which will remain but no longer be sold to new customers and the new Full House.

I suspect the latter.

Thanks for explaining it. That's what I trying to get at. I assume those under contract will keep the kids channels until end of existing contract as you suggested

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35992698)
Whilst this won't affect me, this looks like a further devaluation of Full House then. There was a leak some time ago that said that VM were thinking of an add on kids pack, but I didn't think that they would be removed from Full House!

I would imagine this leaves room for more haggling when renewing a contract! Customers won't pay the same or more for less viewing!

cheekyangus 29-04-2019 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35992698)
Whilst this won't affect me, this looks like a further devaluation of Full House then.

As I said (somewhere) above, there will likely be two Full House packs, the old one at the old price with the Pay TV Kids channels and the new one at a new lower price that you can add the pack to if you want it.

The old Full House pack will be kept for existing FH customers, but withdrawn from sale to new customers.

You could be right though, there may not be enough to distinguish the tier as an ongoing product, especially if HD swaps continue. It might be worthwhile someone going through the new Full House channel table and looking for any other changes. I'm on a lower tier so am not that familiar with FH and above tier's content.

dodgem22 29-04-2019 17:03

I wonder how this affects current vip customers if they will be migrated to V Vip

cheekyangus 29-04-2019 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35992715)
I wonder how this affects current vip customers if they will be migrated to V Vip

I think I read someone say V.VIP is £10 more than VIP. So I'd imagine not.

japitts 29-04-2019 19:08

I guess under this new pricing structure there won't be (m)any channels where the HD equivalent isn't packaged at the same level as SD.

That makes the commercial side of SD/HD switchover a little easier, once everyone is on the new structure. "Once" being the operative word.

jfman 29-04-2019 20:47

Quite strange that Virgin would announce what are essentially price rises if, in the coming days, they will get Sky Atlantic. Surely it makes more sense to announce new packages with the new content?

SonicMaster 30-04-2019 19:29

What will this mean for existing Mix customers?

From what I can tell, there is no equivalent package. It would be a matter of paying significantly more for the same channels or losing some.

Some of the categorisation is bizarre and the different packages aren't even very well balanced.

Entertainment included with all 4 options:
Sky One, Sky Witness, Sky Witness + 1, GOLD HD, GOLD + 1, Comedy Central , Comedy Central HD, Comedy Central + 1, ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD, ITV 4 HD, ITV Be HD, E4 HD, Dave HD, More 4 HD, Film 4 HD

+ Documentaries
History, History + 1, History HD, Crime & Investigation, Crime & Investigation +1, Crime & Investigation HD, Discovery , Discovery + 1, Discovery HD, Sky Arts, Animal Planet, Animal Planet + 1, Animal Planet HD, Discovery History, Discovery History + 1, Discovery Science, Discovery Science + 1, H2, H2 HD, DMAX, DMAX + 1, Eden, Eden + 1, Eden HD, National Geographic, National Geographic + 1, National Geographic HD, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Wild HD, Discovery Shed, Discovery Turbo, I.D, I.D +1, Love Nature, Love Nature HD

+ Drama
W, W +1, W HD, Alibi, Alibi + 1, Alibi HD, Universal, Universal + 1, Fox, Fox +1 , Fox HD, Syfy, Syfy +1, TCM, TCM + 1, TCM HD, Sky 2, Movies 24, Movies 24 + 1

+ Lifestyle
TLC, TLC + 1, TLC HD, E!, Good Food, Good Food + 1 , Good Food HD, Lifetime, Lifetime + 1, Lifetime HD, Real Lives, Real Lives + 1, Comedy Central Extra, Discovery Home and Health, Discovery Home and Health + 1, MTV, MTV HD, MTV Live HD, MTV Music, MTV Hits, MTV Base, MTV Dance, MTV Rocks, MTV OMG, Club MTV, VH1, Box Upfront, The Box, Box Hits, Kiss, Magic, Kerrang!

+ Sport Lite
Sky Sports News , Sky Sports Mix , Eurosport 1, Eurosport 1 HD, Eurosport 2, Eurosport 2 HD

cheekyangus 30-04-2019 20:46

Thanks for setting the pack contents so clearly SonicMaster. It makes it easier to digest.

I don't think it means anything to the old, no longer sold, tiers like Mix and Fun. Nobody new will be able to get them, but I can't see them wanting to upset exisiting customers by moving them onto the new packs, it would be a lot of work for VM if nothing else.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

The packs are badly balanced, I agree SonicMaster. Given those are all the same price they should be more equal.
----
Of topic, but it occurred to me the presence of the HD versions of ITV2/3/4/Be and More4/E4 in the Entertainment selection makes it highly unlikely they will be part of any swap, if another set of HD swaps is due any time soon. ITV and C4 obviously value the extra revenue.

Can't say I am surprised.

japitts 30-04-2019 21:29

One channel not appearing in any list is Universal HD, I'd assume this goes alongside Universal & +1 in the Drama pack, but thankyou SonicMaster for that excellent post.

I've had another pondering on the Kids pack being removed from Full House. So low-tier customers now have an option to add the kids-pay channels without having to go top-tier, a saving for them and extra revenue for VM.

Top-tier customers who don't use them probably don't care either way unless they're against the principle of having products taken away for what looks to me the same monthly cost.

Top-tier customers who do use these, appear to be looking at an extra charge the next time they re-contract.

FWIW I'm in the latter category so I'm naturally feeling negatively about this change.

RichardCoulter 30-04-2019 22:08

If they stop selling Full House to existing subscribers and remove my discount I shall simply downgrade to Player and use Now TV if/when I want pay TV.

At the end of my contract I would then have to consider whether it was worth keeping TV when I can get the channels for free via Freeview & Freesat, the phone when I never use it and 200mb BB when a lot less would suffice.

jb66 30-04-2019 22:47

How can it be called Full house when there is no kids channels, they should have renamed it to stop confusion

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 00:06

I'm convinced VM will just run two versions of Full House. Existing customers will get their current line-up at their current price. New Customers will get the new line-up with a lower cost which they can add Kids Pack to if they want.

They probably won't change anything until the number of customers on the old tier drops away significantly.

Virgin Media and their predecessors have a long history of keeping tiers they no longer sell to new customers going. We've had the same low end tier for 15 years before they decided to get rid of it and wrote to see what we wanted to do. VM have even done the same with their PayG Mobile, some tariffs from over 10 years ago are still operating, with only minor changes.

heero_yuy 01-05-2019 09:12

Quote:

Quote from jb66:

How can it be called Full house when there is no kids channels, they should have renamed it to stop confusion
Full Bungalow. :D

jb66 01-05-2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35992885)
Full Bungalow. :D

Semi detached house

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35992893)
Semi detached house

With the option of a garage. :monkey::D

gba93 01-05-2019 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35992895)
With the option of a garage. :monkey::D

Other music genres should also be made available

SonicMaster 01-05-2019 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35992859)
One channel not appearing in any list is Universal HD, I'd assume this goes alongside Universal & +1 in the Drama pack, but thankyou SonicMaster for that excellent post.

I've had another pondering on the Kids pack being removed from Full House. So low-tier customers now have an option to add the kids-pay channels without having to go top-tier, a saving for them and extra revenue for VM.

Top-tier customers who don't use them probably don't care either way unless they're against the principle of having products taken away for what looks to me the same monthly cost.

Top-tier customers who do use these, appear to be looking at an extra charge the next time they re-contract.

FWIW I'm in the latter category so I'm naturally feeling negatively about this change.

Unfortunately not.

Universal HD (as well as some other HD channels like Syfy HD, Sky One HD, Sky Witness HD, Sky Sports Mix HD and Sky Sports News HD) remain Full House only and are not included in the new 'Entertainment Picks'.

It's a mess.

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35992938)
Unfortunately not.

Universal HD (as well as some other HD channels like Syfy HD, Sky One HD, Sky Witness HD, Sky Sports Mix HD and Sky Sports News HD) remain Full House only and are not included in the new 'Entertainment Picks'.

It's a mess.

And all those channels have Comcast as their parent company.

Horizon 01-05-2019 18:36

JJ20x posted on my site over a week ago about these new bundles and has posted a update again:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...-virgin-media/

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35992947)
JJ20x posted on my site over a week ago about these new channels and has posted a update again:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...-virgin-media/

And I noticed JJ20x also mentioned there some changes to the Player bundle I hadn't noticed (mainly becaise I'm on a higher package and I'm working it out using VM website and channel lists). I'll put that, with appropriate credit, on the Changelog thread.

japitts 02-05-2019 12:23

I presume boxsets also remain in the new Full House, not sure I'd put it past VM to treat that like the kids pack and make it a chargeable add-on.

cheekyangus 02-05-2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35993051)
I presume boxsets also remain in the new Full House, not sure I'd put it past VM to treat that like the kids pack and make it a chargeable add-on.

I'd imagine so as there are boxsets mentioned in the marketing saying they are in some of the Add-On packs, and Full House is basically meant to be All The (non-premium) Add-On Packs Except The Kids TV One from now on. At least that's the impression I get from how VM put it on their website/social media.

Horizon 02-05-2019 12:42

Full House is no longer full house. Sneaky way to bring in a price increase...

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35993056)
I'd imagine so as there are boxsets mentioned in the marketing saying they are in some of the Add-On packs, and Full House is basically meant to be All The (non-premium) Add-On Packs Except The Kids TV One from now on. At least that's the impression I get from how VM put it on their website/social media.

Sky have boxsets as an add on (£5 per month I think).

I wonder if I will be able to 'downgrade' to the new Full House and pay a fiver a month less without the kids channels? I bet that VM will say that those who do will lose their discounts, meaning i'd be paying more for less channels.

It will be useful not having to go through Planned Recordings and deleting kids stuff that TiVo has picked up though. I really wish that TiVo had an option to ignore chosen channels as I have little interest in kids, shopping and foreign channels.

nodrogd 02-05-2019 12:47

Seems as though someone has already fallen foul of the issue with Kids channels being removed from Full House:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/td-p/3982147

denphone 02-05-2019 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35993058)
Full House is no longer full house. Sneaky way to bring in a price increase...

Most companies are sneaky with their price rises.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35993065)
Most companies are sneaky with their price rises.

I've always said that the ultimate result of a system like this, is that people will end up paying the same for less channels (even if they are channels that aren't watched, at least people have a choice if there's a chance that something apears that they do want to watch).

One example for me is BT Sport, I like some of their BT Sport Films programmes.

Horizon 02-05-2019 13:19

That's the argument that the pay tv companies have always used too Richard, in that having the big bundle of channels, gives the opportunity to access less popular channels, which are in effect subsidised by the popular ones.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35993083)
That's the argument that the pay tv companies have always used too Richard, in that having the big bundle of channels, gives the opportunity to access less popular channels, which are in effect subsidised by the popular ones.

Yep. If I save some money by dropping some channels that I don't watch, but you do and you do the same vice versa, all of the channels receive less subscription income.

This then either means that there is less money for programming on all of the channels or they have to recoup the lost income by asking VM for a bigger cut of the subs from those that do want to receive the channels in question.

The end result is that either:

- VM do not agree to increase the subs to particular channels and the money available for new programming decreases or

- VM agree to increase the cut of the subs for particular channels and pass this on to their customers. So, what you gain by no longer contributing to the cost of channels that other people watch, you lose as the cost of the channels that you do watch goes up.

The only outcome that I can see is less money to invest in programming, or the customer ends up paying about the same for less channels.

cheekyangus 02-05-2019 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35993061)
Seems as though someone has already fallen foul of the issue with Kids channels being removed from Full House:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/td-p/3982147

Wow. VM forgot to tell the relevant staff. :shocked:

OLD BOY 02-05-2019 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35993083)

Maybe they should give people the choice of either pick'n'mix or all channels. Now there's a revolutionary thought!

Horizon 02-05-2019 18:47

Some of the American companies are offering ala carte options old boy, but I think this is all old hat now.

We both see streaming as the future, because it is, and so what Sky, VM, BT do with their channel packs doesn't really matter now either way.

Mr K 02-05-2019 19:45

Personally, I miss Woolworths pick and mix, choose wisely and you made a killing ;)

Matth 03-05-2019 01:28

Well, if it cuts my price, I guess I'm looking at "new" FH minus kids, or maybe Ent+Doc+Drama to cover the channels I actually use at all.

RichardCoulter 03-05-2019 15:25

It looks like new Full House customers no longer get the kids pay channels, without a corresponding price decrease. It's pointless me ringing to take off the kids channels, therefore, as I wouldn't receive a discount. In fact, I may lose my existing discount, so it would work out to be more expensive!

dodgem22 03-05-2019 17:56

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/cus...dBundles_MAY19 This webpage which seems to be for existing customers gives the impression the VVIP is avaliable for £99 for existing customers or have I read it wrong as if you scroll down there is a box to click if you are not already a customer.

OLD BOY 03-05-2019 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35993428)
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/cus...dBundles_MAY19 This webpage which seems to be for existing customers gives the impression the VVIP is avaliable for £99 for existing customers or have I read it wrong as if you scroll down there is a box to click if you are not already a customer.

I'd go for it if it was 99 quid!

dodgem22 03-05-2019 18:40

Tried to phone to check with retentions but couldnt get through

RichardCoulter 03-05-2019 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35993428)

I actually contacted live chat with the same query earlier this afternoon and spoke to 'Jazreel', as usual it was like talking to a brick wall getting any sense out of them :rolleyes:

After asking your and my question, s/he kept waffling on about what's included etc, so I had to say stop waffling and just give me the price.

Then I was given the price of £99 per month for 12 months until 5/3/20 when it would go up to £139. I said that that's not a year, it's about 10 months.

This was ignored, I didn't push the point as I then realised that s/he was giving the dates as if we were in America, just to confuse matters even more.

I was then asked for my details and password. I had no intention of letting these access my account and messing things up or adding services without my permission in order to get their commission, so I refused to give my password. S/he then started talking about my account anyway, so they must be able to access our accounts without entering the password. I shall be monitoring my account very closely after reading about what these people have done to other customers in the past.

The price was then reduced to £80 for the first 12 months until 3/5/20, with an increase to only £99. I asked how long the £99 was for and s/he kept saying 3/5/20 (well, 5/3/20 actually).

After querying this discrepancy, I was told that I would get two V6 boxes!!!

In the end I lost patience and closed the chat, so i'm no the wiser and am just as confused as you probably are!

Hugh 03-05-2019 19:07

Probably the Philippines call handling centre, as the Philippines use USA date format.

Mythica 03-05-2019 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993437)
I actually contacted live chat with the same query earlier this afternoon and spoke to 'Jazreel', as usual it was like talking to a brick wall getting any sense out of them :rolleyes:

After asking your and my question, s/he kept waffling on about what's included etc, so I had to say stop waffling and just give me the price.

Then I was given the price of £99 per month for 12 months until 5/3/20 when it would go up to £139. I said that that's not a year, it's about 10 months.

This was ignored, I didn't push the point as I then realised that s/he was giving the dates as if we were in America, just to confuse matters even more.

I was then asked for my details and password. I had no intention of letting these access my account and messing things up or adding services without my permission in order to get their commission, so I refused to give my password. S/he then started talking about my account anyway, so they must be able to access our accounts without entering the password. I shall be monitoring my account very closely after reading about what these people have done to other customers in the past.

The price was then reduced to £80 for the first 12 months until 3/5/20, with only an increase to £99. I asked how long the £99 was for and s/he kept saying 3/5/20 (well, 5/3/20 actually).

After querying this discrepancy, I was told that I would get two V6 boxes!!!

In the end I lost patience and closed the chat, so i'm no the wiser and am just as confused as you probably are!

Did you have any intention of ordering the VVIP package? I don't see why its confusing. It's £139 for existing customers unless you get given a deal. Its £99 for new customers rising to £139 after 12 months.

RichardCoulter 03-05-2019 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35993441)
Probably the Philippines call handling centre, as the Philippines use USA date format.

Might be. You'd think that VM would have told them how we express the date over here!

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993444)
Did you have any intention of ordering the VVIP package? I don't see why its confusing. It's £139 for existing customers unless you get given a deal. Its £99 for new customers rising to £139 after 12 months.

It's confusing because, after asking what the score was for existing customers, I was given conflicting information, prices and dates in the wrong format.

I might have ordered it at the right price, but in the end I just couldn't be bothered with all the nonsense so gave up.

Mythica 03-05-2019 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993445)
Might be. You'd think that VM would have told them how we express the date over here!

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

It's confusing because, after asking what the score was for existing customers, I was given conflicting information, prices and dates in the wrong format.

I might have ordered it at the right price, but in the end I just couldn't be bothered with all the nonsense so gave up.

The Virgin Media website is pretty clear. Its £99 for the first 12 months then £139. The £139 is what an existing customer would pay unless you work out a deal, which you did but then didn't go ahead with it. The way it reads, you just got in contact just to waste their time.

dodgem22 03-05-2019 19:30

When I looked it was on the VM existing customer landing page. I would snap their hands off if it is £99 for existing customers but I could not get through.

When logging in to look at my offers though it was something like an extra £25 to add the sim, I am on the old version of VIP.

Mythica 03-05-2019 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35993450)
When I looked it was on the VM existing customer landing page. I would snap their hands off if it is £99 for existing customers but I could not get through.

When logging in to look at my offers though it was something like an extra £25 to add the sim, I am on the old version of VIP.

It's £139 for existing customers. VM have always done prices like that on their websites.

Mad Max 03-05-2019 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993454)
It's £139 for existing customers. VM have always done prices like that on their websites.

Well they can ram it at that price!! :mad:

dodgem22 03-05-2019 19:57

Thought it would be O well nothing ventured nothing gained and as you say Mad Max they can stuff it at £139

Mr K 03-05-2019 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993454)

£139!!! £1668 a year......For that I'd want a month in the Bahamas. :)

Mythica 03-05-2019 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgem22 (Post 35993457)
Thought it would be O well nothing ventured nothing gained and as you say Mad Max they can stuff it at £139

How much are you paying for VIP? Its £129.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993456)

Nothing wrong with the price for the full quad package.

wildfruit 03-05-2019 20:29

Just ring and ask for the £99 price. Worked for me. :)

Mad Max 05-05-2019 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993464)
How much are you paying for VIP? Its £129.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Nothing wrong with the price for the full quad package.

So you're happy with an overpriced sub then?

Mythica 05-05-2019 19:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993755)
So you're happy with an overpriced sub then?

Overpriced to what? How much is a standalone 500Mb or equivalent (lower) broadband. How much is an unlimited sim card? How much is a full TV package including sports and movies in HD. How much is the equivalent landline package?

RichardCoulter 05-05-2019 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993448)
The Virgin Media website is pretty clear. Its £99 for the first 12 months then £139. The £139 is what an existing customer would pay unless you work out a deal, which you did but then didn't go ahead with it. The way it reads, you just got in contact just to waste their time.

You asked a question, I gave you the answer. It looks to me like you had formed a snide comment in your head before you asked the question.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993456)

They sure can at £139, I think that £99 is still too expensive as well. I'm thinking of upgrading my basic phone to a smart phone and might have taken it at £80, but the nonsense that was spouted about the contractual agreement put me off ie it's £80 until May 2020 and then when that contract expires, it's £99 until.... May 2020. It hardly instilled me with confidence that things would go smoothly.

Mythica 05-05-2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993783)
You asked a question, I gave you the answer. It looks to me like you had formed a snide comment in your head before you asked the question.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

They sure can at £139, I think that £99 is still too expensive as well. I'm thinking of upgrading my basic phone to a smart phone and might have taken it at £80, but the nonsense that was spouted about the contractual agreement put me off ie it's £80 until May 2020 and then when that contract expires, it's £99 until.... May 2020. It hardly instilled me with confidence that things would go smoothly.

Based on what you had written on a public forum "so I had to say stop waffling and just give me the price" plus you think £99 is overpriced which is the cost to new customers. So what are you enquiring about a package that you believe is expensive at the new customer price that rises after 12 months anyway.

Can I just ask how £99 is too expensive for a quad play service which includes an unlimited sim card?

OLD BOY 05-05-2019 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993794)
Based on what you had written on a public forum "so I had to say stop waffling and just give me the price" plus you think £99 is overpriced which is the cost to new customers. So what are you enquiring about a package that you believe is expensive at the new customer price that rises after 12 months anyway.

Can I just ask how £99 is too expensive for a quad play service which includes an unlimited sim card?

Yes, before we were cabled up in my area, I was paying BT about £120 a month just for the phone calls and charges!

So I think 100 quid for phone, broadband, sim card and the Full House TV service is a bargain!

Mad Max 05-05-2019 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993775)
Overpriced to what? How much is a standalone 500Mb or equivalent (lower) broadband. How much is an unlimited sim card? How much is a full TV package including sports and movies in HD. How much is the equivalent landline package?

Who's talking about sim cards? In my vew £139 for the top package is way too expensive, fine if you have money to burn!

jfman 05-05-2019 20:37

£139 is pricy but back in the day I was over £120 for Sky+, mulitroom, Telewest mid tier broadband, unlimited phone and Setanta in 2004. In real terms that’s £180 now!

Mythica 05-05-2019 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993800)
Who's talking about sim cards? In my vew £139 for the top package is way too expensive, fine if you have money to burn!

Well we are talking about the VVIP package aren't we? It includes an unlimited sim card so adds to the value. But you didn't answer the question, how much are all 4 services from other providers or separately from VM?

figgyburn 06-05-2019 10:02

Does the £99/£139 prices include line rental?.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Ignore noticed that it does include line rental.

RichardCoulter 06-05-2019 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993794)

That's correct. I knew what it included, I simply wanted a price without all the waffle and spin.

Whether something is good value or not is a personal choice based upon needs and what a product offers.
As he couldn't even present the basics to me in a logical and understandable format, I terminated the chat.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 35993858)
Does the £99/£139 prices include line rental?.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Ignore noticed that it does include line rental.

I'm glad you brought up the subject of line rental. Those who paid for Line Rental Saver lose out as it's already been paid, maybe that's why I was offered a further £19 discount (but he tried to make out he was doing me a favour).

Mythica 06-05-2019 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993886)
That's correct. I knew what it included, I simply wanted a price without all the waffle and spin.

Whether something is good value or not is a personal choice based upon needs and what a product offers.
As he couldn't even present the basics to me in a logical and understandable format, I terminated the chat.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

I'm glad you brought up the subject of line rental. Those who paid for Line Rental Saver lose out as it's already been paid, maybe that's why I was offered a further £19 discount (but he tried to make out he was doing me a favour).

The price is all over VMs website. No waffle or spin, it's there. I think your attitude to VM staff is disgraceful even if they are getting stuff wrong.

If someone doesn't need the VVIP package then of course its not going to be good value. At it's most expensive of £139 it still represents good value if you want the quad package. It's the top package they offer, how much cheaper do people want it to be.

jfman 06-05-2019 14:56

In other words Richard thinks he’s above paying the RRP on the website. Which is fine, but he can’t complain when he phones teams who will be under pressure to not offer discounts and finds there’s variation in the answer that he gets.

Mad Max 06-05-2019 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993816)
Well we are talking about the VVIP package aren't we? It includes an unlimited sim card so adds to the value. But you didn't answer the question, how much are all 4 services from other providers or separately from VM?

My mistake, i was talking about the VIP pack not the VVIP, and I still think it's overpriced, for instance why do they insist that you take their landline? Most people have mobile phones and probably dont need a landline, but they insist that you need to take it, unless that has changed recently.

cheekyangus 06-05-2019 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993899)
My mistake, i was talking about the VIP pack not the VVIP, and I still think it's overpriced, for instance why do they insist that you take their landline? Most people have mobile phones and probably dont need a landline, but they insist that you need to take it, unless that has changed recently.

I think VM look on it as an easy way to make a little money. Virtually everyone on non-VM broadband, on a BT line, has to pay line rental, so they are taking advantage of customers expecting to pay for it, even though with VM it's not necessary.

Mythica 06-05-2019 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993899)

But you still didn't answer the question. How much are all four services or equivalent from VM or other service providers. It's not at all overpriced, it might be expensive but that doesn't mean overpriced.

muppetman11 06-05-2019 17:35

I'm not sure why any home user needs 500mb broadband at the moment.

Mythica 06-05-2019 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35993908)
I'm not sure why any home user needs 500mb broadband at the moment.

Who needs Sky Sports or HD? For most people most things in life are a want, not a need.

RichardCoulter 06-05-2019 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993888)
The price is all over VMs website. No waffle or spin, it's there. I think your attitude to VM staff is disgraceful even if they are getting stuff wrong.

If someone doesn't need the VVIP package then of course its not going to be good value. At it's most expensive of £139 it still represents good value if you want the quad package. It's the top package they offer, how much cheaper do people want it to be.

I don't respond well to people who are trying to sell me something that can barely speak English. If I ask a question, I expect it to be answered without all the waffle. There were things on the website that weren't clear, but I CBA going into them.

Now, onto something more important for those who are thinking of taking out V.VIP. There have been reports that BT Sport disappears from Virgin TV Go when this package has been added. Upon calling CS, they are apparently telling people that VM has lost the rights to BT Sport and that it will soon disappear from linear TV too.

Has anyone got any experience of this?

jfman 06-05-2019 17:58

I’m inclined to agree it’s a mystery, however I think the same almost every time the top tier moves and the Internet catches up.

When I dust off the PS4 and start to play a game it informs me I’ve a 20gb download to do and I end up digging out an Ethernet cable to get the fastest speeds.

Mythica 06-05-2019 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993912)
I don't respond well to people who are trying to sell me something that can barely speak English. If I ask a question, I expect it to be answered without all the waffle. There were things on the website that weren't clear, but I CBA going into them.

Now, onto something more important for those who are thinking of taking out V.VIP. There have been reports that BT Sport disappears from Virgin TV Go. Has anyone got any experience of this?

Well I'd get someone to ring up on your behalf as rudeness is no excuse for anything. You certainly wouldn't put up with people being rude to you. My personal opinion is you knew exactly what was going to happen but did it anyway. Everything on the website is clear for the VVIP package in my eyes.

What reports are you talking about?

RichardCoulter 06-05-2019 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993914)
Well I'd get someone to ring up on your behalf as rudeness is no excuse for anything. You certainly wouldn't put up with people being rude to you. My personal opinion is you knew exactly what was going to happen but did it anyway. Everything on the website is clear for the VVIP package in my eyes.

What reports are you talking about?

It appears that you are deliberately trying to stir up trouble again, so i'm bringing this conversation to a close

jfman 06-05-2019 18:04

The Community forum seems littered with technical issues. If it’s a rights issue they’d not be on the TV either.

It’d be rather foolish to advertise
Quote:

Over 300 channels of binge-tastic telly including BT Sport in 4K Ultra HD.
if you know that to be valid for less than 4 weeks.

Mythica 06-05-2019 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993916)
It appears that you are deliberately trying to stir up trouble again, so i'm bringing this conversation to a close

No I'm seeing it how I see it. I've never once told anyone to stop waffling when I've rang them up.

What reports were you talking about?

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35993917)
The Community forum seems littered with technical issues. If it’s a rights issue they’d not be on the TV either.

It’d be rather foolish to advertise if you know that to be valid for less than 4 weeks.

Looking on the community forums, it seems to have been an issue from around 3 weeks ago which is now fixed for most people. I'm on the VIP package (not VVIP) and it's working for me.

muppetman11 06-05-2019 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993909)
Who needs Sky Sports or HD? For most people most things in life are a want, not a need.

People who want an easy way to legally watch certain Sport in the UK.

jfman 06-05-2019 18:22

Quote:

Looking on the community forums, it seems to have been an issue from around 3 weeks ago which is now fixed for most people. I'm on the VIP package (not VVIP) and it's working for me.
That’s good to know, probably put the fix in for VIP and forgot they were about to launch a new tier. :)

Mythica 06-05-2019 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35993926)
People who want to legally watch certain Sport in the UK.

Yes that's a want not a need. Nobody needs 500Mb but plenty of people want it. Nobody needs Sky Sports in HD but plenty of people want it.

muppetman11 06-05-2019 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993929)
Yes that's a want not a need. Nobody needs 500Mb but plenty of people want it. Nobody needs Sky Sports in HD but plenty of people want it.

Plenty want 500mb define plenty ?

Mythica 06-05-2019 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35993932)
Plenty want 500mb define plenty ?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/plenty

"A large or sufficient amount or quantity; more than enough."

muppetman11 06-05-2019 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993936)
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/plenty

"A large or sufficient amount or quantity; more than enough."

I'd say it's very much a minority of people who need or want 500mb currently it's simply overkill for most households and at an increased cost many don't see worth it.

I accept there will always be an element of fanatics and those who like to say they have the quickest.

Do Virgin still give a breakdown of the numbers for broadband and how many are on a set tier ?

jfman 06-05-2019 18:37

It has to be said BT are in the 300Mb market and it’s pricey. It’s only natural for VM to push the headline figure up. What the “average” user needs isn’t really the point - if it’s under utilised by most V.VIP customers then the cost of providing the service is virtually the same as 200/350 anyway.

muppetman11 06-05-2019 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35993939)
It has to be said BT are in the 300Mb market and it’s pricey. It’s only natural for VM to push the headline figure up. What the “average” user needs isn’t really the point - if it’s under utilised by most V.VIP customers then the cost of providing the service is virtually the same as 200/350 anyway.

Do BT give any kind of breakdown on how many take G.fast or FTTH ?

jfman 06-05-2019 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35993940)
Do BT give any kind of breakdown on how many take G.fast or FTTH ?

I’ve no idea - only sharing that there has to be some market there for BT to invest in it too. I’d call it small relative to the market but high revenue, high profits and “higher quality” (less likely to churn). If someone else says plenty I’m not here to debate subjective use of language :)

I agree with your point in general, but the enthusiasts bring in money.

Mythica 06-05-2019 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35993937)
I'd say it's very much a minority of people who need or want 500mb currently it's simply overkill for most households and at an increased cost many don't see worth it.

I accept there will always be an element of fanatics and those who like to say they have the quickest.

Do Virgin still give a breakdown of the numbers for broadband and how many are on a set tier ?

The point I was making of whether one person or one million people want it is it's not what people need but it's what they want. You said how many people need it and I responded by how many need Sky Sports in HD. It's not a need, it's a want. Regardless of that, VM have obviously seen it fit to release the product so they seem to think people want it and I've seen some people 'crying' on here and the VM community forums because it isn't a standalone product.

Mad Max 06-05-2019 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993906)
But you still didn't answer the question. How much are all four services or equivalent from VM or other service providers. It's not at all overpriced, it might be expensive but that doesn't mean overpriced.

That's your opinion!

Mythica 07-05-2019 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35993969)
That's your opinion!

Well what's the standalone prices of all 4 services?

Mad Max 07-05-2019 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 35993972)
Well what's the standalone prices of all 4 services?

From whom, Virgin?

jfman 07-05-2019 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35994034)
From whom, Virgin?

Presumably he's trying to demonstrate the Virgin price is reasonable by comparison to the RRP of comparable products in the market.

Sky Q / HD / Sports / Movies
Extra Box
80 MB broadband
Talk Unlimited

£123

BT Sport on Sky undiscounted

£30

SIM only deal with unlimited data

£25 (?)

It's pricey everywhere you go, which is why so many people either switch or take retention deals. Granted not everyone necessarily wants everything but like for like packages are generally similarly priced.