Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Jury Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711824)

livelysprite 07-04-2023 11:32

Jury Service

Been called up for jury service two years in a row in Scotland. I am 60 and have never been called up before. I am wondering if it's because of a backlog of cases due to covid and there is more chance of being selected. I was excused from doing it due to being a full time carer.

nomadking 07-04-2023 11:40

Re: jury service

Difficulty in finding someone without a criminal record?

Taf 07-04-2023 14:55

If you are still a full time Carer, but the Allowance has been stopped due to you receiving the State Pension, you should tell them ASAP.

Chris 07-04-2023 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36149465)
Been called up for jury service two years in a row in Scotland. I am 60 and have never been called up before. I am wondering if it's because of a backlog of cases due to covid and there is more chance of being selected. I was excused from doing it due to being a full time carer.

Could be - I keep meeting people who have been called up recently. I’ve not done it for years myself, and when I was called up it was to crown court in Englandshire. Two interesting cases over two weeks.

I appreciate it is a hassle for some but I do think everyone who possibly can do it, should do it. There are few enough things connecting us to shared civic experience in this country and jury service is a sort of reminder that we’re all connected and owe something to each other.

livelysprite 07-04-2023 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36149483)
If you are still a full time Carer, but the Allowance has been stopped due to you receiving the State Pension, you should tell them ASAP.

I'm still 7 years away from a state pension.

Hugh 07-04-2023 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36149467)
Difficulty in finding someone without a criminal record?

Eh?

Damien 07-04-2023 17:05

I believe it's just a random selection from the electoral roll. I am not even sure if they preclude people with criminal records. You might have to declare it when called upon. It's one of those things were people see patterns when there likely isn't one.

I've been called twice. I hated it the first time and the second time they thankfully called me and said they no longer needed me days before I was due to do it.

nomadking 07-04-2023 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36149489)
Eh?

As in difficulty in finding somebody other than livelysprite.

jfman 07-04-2023 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36149483)

I wish it was the good old days of 60/65 ;)

livelysprite 07-04-2023 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36149493)
As in difficulty in finding somebody other than livelysprite.

I anticipate being called again next year. No worries. I have the complete DVD collection of Rumpole of the Bailey. I will watch that to get me in the mood.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36149495)
I wish it was the good old days of 60/65 ;)

The pension age reform is not fair. Life expectancy varies depending on where you live.

Paul 07-04-2023 19:12

So far, Ive never been called up for Jury Service.

Mr K 07-04-2023 20:17

Just watch 'Crown Court' on Talking Pictures that will prepare you. They find everyone not guilty, fair enough I say.

livelysprite 28-04-2023 12:09

Re: Jury Service

Well there you go, I have been called up again only a few weeks after being excused.

pip08456 28-04-2023 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36149487)
I'm still 7 years away from a state pension.

As Taf should know.

livelysprite 28-04-2023 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36150732)
As Taf should know.

What does that mean?

Ms NTL 29-04-2023 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36150712)
Well there you go, I have been called up again only a few weeks after being excused.

What happens if you do not "receive" the letter?

TheDaddy 29-04-2023 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36150736)
What does that mean?

Taf, third poster in the thread and and carer receiving state pension

livelysprite 29-04-2023 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36150765)
What happens if you do not "receive" the letter?

They send a reminder. I hear a lot of people just ignore the letters and reminders as they are not sent by registered mail.

Dude111 29-04-2023 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite
Been called up for jury service two years in a row in Scotland. I am 60 and have never been called up before..

I know people hate that... They think of ways to tryu snd get out of it.....

Good luck :)

livelysprite 01-05-2023 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36150803)
I know people hate that... They think of ways to tryu snd get out of it.....

Good luck :)

I can't believe they excused me a month ago due to my circumstances and have sent me another citation. I am a registered full-time day and night carer and they will only pay £1 per hour for a non-registered carer to replace me for a week. A registered carer will get £6 per hour. I can still turn up and ask the judge for excusal.

Chris 01-05-2023 13:01

Did you get excused or just deferred? If it was a deferral it’s not unusual to get a new date so soon afterwards. In such circumstances your name has still been considered to have been chosen and they’ve just allocated a different set of dates for you. If you are fully excused, then they cancel your name from the list and you don’t get called again unless the computer randomly selects you again. That could be years away, or never. However in your case they seem to have treated you the same as if you told them it clashed with a pre-booked holiday.

You might be better off trying to ask a judge directly, I don’t imagine you’re likely to get sufficient consideration from the cynical and jaded back office staff.

livelysprite 01-05-2023 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36150865)
Did you get excused or just deferred? If it was a deferral it’s not unusual to get a new date so soon afterwards. In such circumstances your name has still been considered to have been chosen and they’ve just allocated a different set of dates for you. If you are fully excused, then they cancel your name from the list and you don’t get called again unless the computer randomly selects you again. That could be years away, or never. However in your case they seem to have treated you the same as if you told them it clashed with a pre-booked holiday.

You might be better off trying to ask a judge directly, I don’t imagine you’re likely to get sufficient consideration from the cynical and jaded back office staff.

I got an email a month ago saying "I am pleased to let you know that you have been excused from jury service. Please destroy your citation, as this will no longer be required".

ozsat 02-05-2023 06:51

I got a two week block and sat around all day on day 1.
On day 2 we got told to get ready for the case was closed before leaving the waiting room.
On day 3 after waiting we got sent home
On the some of following days we were told to be ready but got text messages to say don't bother coming in - if if in never got called.
Never got further then the waiting room.

livelysprite 03-05-2023 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36150865)

I just got an email saying I have been excused. But as you say they might just put my name back into the puddin mixer and I will probably be called up again in a month's time.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36150915)
I got a two week block and sat around all day on day 1.
On day 2 we got told to get ready for the case was closed before leaving the waiting room.
On day 3 after waiting we got sent home
On the some of following days we were told to be ready but got text messages to say don't bother coming in - if if in never got called.
Never got further then the waiting room.

Sounds like you went to a crown court. My local court is a sherrif court so trials are normally only 5 working days max.

Chris 03-05-2023 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36151114)
I just got an email saying I have been excused. But as you say they might just put my name back into the puddin mixer and I will probably be called up again in a month's time.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Sounds like you went to a crown court. My local court is a sherrif court so trials are normally only 5 working days max.

Ah … in Scotland then. I have to say I found the Sherriff court an absolute nightmare to deal with for deferrals/excusals (wife was called a few years ago) compared to my own experience of Crown Court years ago when we lived down south.

The Sherriff court actually tried to operate between Christmas and New Year, dragged dozens of people into town on a daily basis only to tell them they could go home because one or more people involved in the trial hadn’t shown up, what with it being the middle of the apparently unforseeable CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY. Absolute numpties, the lot of them.

heero_yuy 05-05-2023 10:22

I've never been called up and seeing as from today I'm an OAP looks like I got away with it. :D

Hom3r 05-05-2023 10:38

How long are the sessions before any breaks, I only ask as the reason most films in the cinema are 90 to 120 minutes in the human bladder?

Hugh 05-05-2023 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36151234)
I've never been called up and seeing as from today I'm an OAP looks like I got away with it. :D

Me, neither, but I’ve got some bad news for both of us…

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/j...land-and-wales

Quote:

Jury age limit to be raised to 75 in England and Wales

As of the 01 December (2016) the upper age limit for jurors in England and Wales will be raised from 70 to 75…

… Previously only people aged 18 to 70 were eligible to sit as jurors.

As with everyone who is selected for jury service, individuals over the age of 70 will be able to apply for an excusal if they feel incapable of carrying out their duties.

heero_yuy 05-05-2023 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36151250)
Me, neither, but I’ve got some bad news for both of us…

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/j...land-and-wales

Bugger! I'll just have to pretend to be senile.

joglynne 05-05-2023 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36151234)

Quote:

If you're over 18 years old, you can be called for jury service. Some people aren't eligible for jury service or can get excused because of their job. There's no automatic exemption from jury service for being elderly. You can ask to be excluded when you're over 70.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...eing%20elderly.

I was called in 2021 at age 72. I claimed exemption due to me being classed as medically vunerable. They didn't request any verification so I assume they treated me as over 70 entitled to be excused.

spiderplant 05-05-2023 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36151240)
How long are the sessions before any breaks, I only ask as the reason most films in the cinema are 90 to 120 minutes in the human bladder?

Never more than 90 minutes in my experience

Dude111 06-05-2023 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite
I got an email a month ago saying "I am pleased to let you know that you have been excused from jury service. Please destroy your citation, as this will no longer be required".

Wow very lucky!!