Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Vm mobile price increase (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694073)

howardmicks 27-06-2013 18:06

Vm mobile price increase

Today I received a letter informing me that my mobile phone tariff is going up by 2.9% very annoyed I just agreed to a early upgrade and also less than 2 weeks ago purchased a mobile for my daughter,rung up to complain and they say there is nothing they can do feel totally scammed if this is the start of life with the new owners start worrying:( going to contact citizens advice and watchdog and can some one please give me the email address of vm head office to complain:mad:

Dave42 27-06-2013 18:32

Re: Vm mobile price increase

well in tv bb and phone you can cancel if price goes up not certain if same for mobile would have thought so but not certain

howardmicks 27-06-2013 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35589297)
well in tv bb and phone you can cancel if price goes up not certain if same for mobile would have thought so but not certain

I thought the same told me I can't I'm tied for 24 months and because I have had the phone over 14 days can't send it back,total disgrace dave42 :mad:

Qtx 27-06-2013 19:00

Does the usual 28 day grace not apply to phone contract type goods then?

Thought they had to inform new customers of upcoming price increases at the point of sale. I know sky do this with their new signups so figured all providers would be doing the same

howardmicks 27-06-2013 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35589305)
Does the usual 28 day grace not apply to phone contract type goods then?

Thought they had to inform new customers of upcoming price increases at the point of sale. I know sky do this with their new signups so figured all providers would be doing the same

Yer really got mad with them I have paperwork for both phones clearly showing tariff and no mention of price increases I even phoned up yesterday to make sure I was going on the right tariff and she confirmed my new tariff price no mention of a increase total scam,How the hell can this be legal????

Stephen 27-06-2013 22:58

I got a letter too. However 2.9% isn't exactly a lot.

BenMcr 27-06-2013 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35589297)

No it's not the same. This is from the Virgin Mobile terms

Quote:

5.2 Price changes: We may also change our Charges or introduce new Charges. Unless the change is a significant change as set out in clause 5.3 we will give you 14 days notice of any change to the Charges for the elements of the Services or Additional Services you are using.

5.3 Significant changes: We will notify you at least one month in advance of any change coming into effect that (in our reasonable opinion):
(a) will increase the monthly or other periodic Charges for your Contract Allowance by an amount which is more than the percentage increase in the previous twelve month period in the Retail Prices Index (or any future equivalent) published by the Office for National Statistics; or
(b) is a change to your Agreement, your Contract Allowance, the Services or any Additional Services you are using, or to the Charges for any Services or Additional Services you are using, which is likely to be of material detriment to you.

5.4 Non acceptance of changes: If you do not accept a change that falls within clause 5.3 you may cancel this Agreement by writing to us within 1 month of us telling you about any change, to let us know that you want to cancel. However you may not cancel this Agreement if such change: (a) has been imposed on us by any regulator with appropriate authority, for example OFCOM, or as a direct result of new legislation, statutory instrument or government regulation; or (b) relates solely to an Additional Service. If this is the case then you may cancel such Additional Service by giving us a least ten days notice in writing to that effect.
The price change is not more that the RPI, so the cancellation option doesn't apply

howardmicks 28-06-2013 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35589406)
I got a letter too. However 2.9% isn't exactly a lot.

It's not but I have been with them just under 2 years with no price increase and soon as new owners arrive we get price increase and the annoying thing is that I have only just renewed and nothing was said and I only spoke to them yesterday to upgrade to VIP and retentions quoted £42 to me,I have also only just purchased an addition phone 2 weeks on Sunday and again nothing mentioned both stating what I would pay over 24months and no mention of possible price increases.very annoying I have contacted trading standards and got an appointment to see them tomorrow been advised to take all paperwork with me,gonna email vm head office as well if someone could kindly give me a email address :)

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35589410)
No it's not the same. This is from the Virgin Mobile terms

The price change is not more that the RPI, so the cancellation option doesn't apply

Never had this rpi price increase before Ben and have contacted 3 tonight and thy have told me what tariff i agree to is length of contract with them I thought it would be same with vm mobile clearly by this letter I have received sadly it is not.i want to cancel my contracts and move to 3 but vm mobile are saying I can't

dilli-theclaw 28-06-2013 07:41

I've not had a letter about any increase.

howardmicks 28-06-2013 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35589456)
I've not had a letter about any increase.

Coming soon !!!!

Stephen 28-06-2013 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35589429)
It's not but I have been with them just under 2 years with no price increase and soon as new owners arrive we get price increase and the annoying thing is that I have only just renewed and nothing was said and I only spoke to them yesterday to upgrade to VIP and retentions quoted £42 to me,I have also only just purchased an addition phone 2 weeks on Sunday and again nothing mentioned both stating what I would pay over 24months and no mention of possible price increases.very annoying I have contacted trading standards and got an appointment to see them tomorrow been advised to take all paperwork with me,gonna email vm head office as well if someone could kindly give me a email address :)

---------- Post added at 00:39 ---------- Previous post was at 00:35 ----------

Never had this rpi price increase before Ben and have contacted 3 tonight and thy have told me what tariff i agree to is length of contract with them I thought it would be same with vm mobile clearly by this letter I have received sadly it is not.i want to cancel my contracts and move to 3 but vm mobile are saying I can't

It's nothing to do with new owners. Would have happened anyway. As you say nearly two years and no increase means it was bound to happen.

It's mentioned in the small print about possible price changes so there would be no case for Trading Standards IMO.

BenMcr 28-06-2013 09:58

Quote:

This is from Three's Pay Monthly terms:
Quote:

4.2 You will not be able to end the agreement if any variation or increase:
(d) is equal to, or less than, the percentage increase in the Retail Prices Index figure, as set out in section 4.1 above.

Qtx 28-06-2013 11:27

Quote:

You should double check about the tariff on Three not having any increases. All the mobile operators were pulled up about it earlier in the year and while Ofcom talked about making changes I don't think it has happened yet. It is entirely possible that Three has made the change of their own back but I doubt it.

Linky

My galaxy S3 contract with Three that has as good as unlimited everything was £29 a month when I took the contract originally but now the cost has increased to £30

Dave42 28-06-2013 11:31

got a price rise here too :mad::mad::mad:

jobbie8 01-07-2013 22:05

Got my 3 letters today, as have 3 contracts. Orange increased their contracts this year too.
Funny how today the EU make Mobile networks charge less for using phones abroad, making them less money, so contracts go up instead.

Sirius 02-07-2013 05:24

I remember reading somewhere that the mobile phone operators had been forced to change the way they charge for connecting calls here or in the EU i think its. At that time i said to a friend this will make them change there prices to cover for the lost revenue. Wonder if all of the mobile operators will slowly increase over the following months :(

hansi 04-07-2013 12:02

Had my letter today. As you say, 2.9% is not a lot, but it's the principle. Seems like the contract is only one way. VM's way!:mad: If you cancel the contract, you lose out, but they can increase the price whenever they like!

Gary L 04-07-2013 12:28

Move to Three like everybody else.

BenMcr 04-07-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35591903)
Move to Three like everybody else.

Who also do this

Gary L 04-07-2013 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35591905)
Who also do this

Good. they'll save a fortune.

BenMcr 04-07-2013 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35591910)
Good. they'll save a fortune.

No I meant Three also have the tariff increase clause in their terms

howardmicks 04-07-2013 15:06

Might have it benmcr but I have friends who have been with 3 for over 2 years and going and no price increase as yet

BenMcr 04-07-2013 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35591928)
Might have it benmcr but I have friends who have been with 3 for over 2 years and going and no price increase as yet

Well they have done it http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-mobile-prices

Gary L 04-07-2013 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35591917)
No I meant Three also have the tariff increase clause in their terms

Oh.
I'm sure they all do. all that matters is what they're charging now.

Have you seen this thread?

Three Reduce Prices - Move to Three! and save Loads Of Money!!!!

howardmicks 04-07-2013 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35591930)

I notice it says customere before the 8th march,that is whats annoyed me I only renewed contract beginning of june and only got my daughters phone 2 weeks ago and nothing was said to me,these sort of dirty tricks I expect from sky not vm

fudge 04-07-2013 19:27

I have 2 contracts, the increase is a matter of pence. no big deal really . Cant believe the fuss thats being made.

BenMcr 04-07-2013 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35591944)
Oh.
I'm sure they all do. all that matters is what they're charging now.

Have you seen this thread?

Three Reduce Prices - Move to Three! and save Loads Of Money!!!!

Yes, I have and VM are cheaper than some of what Three are doing, just as Three is cheaper on things than VM

All depends on what you use.

Gary L 04-07-2013 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35591991)
Yes, I have and VM are cheaper than some of what Three are doing, just as Three is cheaper on things than VM

All depends on what you use.

What are they cheaper on?

BenMcr 04-07-2013 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35591994)
What are they cheaper on?

The tariff the Three charge £18 a month for, VM's equivalent is £15

Quote:

VIP SIM Only £15
SIM card cost FREE
Your tariff gives you:
Unlimited calls to Virgin Mobile numbers
Unlimited minutes
Unlimited texts
Unlimited texts to Virgin Mobile numbers
Unlimited Mobile Web
If you aren't a Media customer you just don't get the specific Mobile bits, you still get everything else

and also have Blackberry version of tariff too

Gary L 04-07-2013 21:23

Does that include unlimited tethering on up to 5 devices?

BenMcr 04-07-2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35592010)

Nope, again, it depends what you use. VM's tariff offers more minutes and texts than the Three version for less money

It isn't not black and white of 'VM BAD, <INSERT OTHER COMPANY HERE> GOOD' which you are seem to think

Gary L 04-07-2013 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35592013)
Nope, again, it depends what you use. VM's tariff offers more minutes and texts than the Three version for less money

It isn't not black and white of 'VM BAD, <INSERT OTHER COMPANY HERE> GOOD' which you are seem to think

Yeh, but be realistic. who uses unlimited minutes and texts in the real world? :)

tell the VM marketing team to change it to
1,000,000,000 minutes
1,000,000,000 texts

it'll bring in more punters.

So if they don't allow tethering. what about 4G speeds?

BenMcr 04-07-2013 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35592017)
So if they don't allow tethering. what about 4G speeds?

Pretty sure VM will support DC-HSPDA (which is what Three are using) where EE enable it

Qtx 04-07-2013 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35592010)

Apparently Virgin mobile does not allow tethering at all any more and their Unlimited data is actually 3.5GB before they butcher your speeds down to 3G speeds.

Gary L 04-07-2013 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qtx (Post 35592030)
Apparently Virgin mobile does not allow tethering at all any more and their Unlimited data is actually 3.5GB before they butcher your speeds down to 3G speeds.

No tethering at all?
people want to thether on their phones now. it's 2013. not the year of the brick still.

I read somewhere that Three themselves said they're happy for you to download 1,000 GB's a month.

3.5GB makes Virgin sweat?

Qtx 04-07-2013 23:32

They claim their data allowance is for mobile data, ie mobile phone use only although I doubt they would notice if you looked at just a few web pages every so often but using it daily you would easily hit the 3.5GB FUP limit.

When I moved house and was waiting for broadband to be re-installed I tethered my Three mobile to the computer and laptop and easily downloaded 80-100GB in that month. My galaxy s3 is the older non-4G version so was using Three's DC-HSPDA at around 1.4Mb/s (12mbit) speeds. It made being without fibre broadband totally painless. The Tethering and data allowance made all the difference.

howardmicks 06-07-2013 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35592000)
The tariff the Three charge £18 a month for, VM's equivalent is £15

If you aren't a Media customer you just don't get the specific Mobile bits, you still get everything else

and also have Blackberry version of tariff too

That will be going up surely with the price rise,£15 no more.vm need to update there prices on there website as I'm living proof that there store staff and office staff won't tell you about the price increase.

007stuart 06-07-2013 09:22

Incensed at price increase. Nearly a pound more each month. How can I afford to smoke 40 a day and feed the kids.

Has Virgin Mobile no compassion their customers in this dire economic climate.

Gary L 06-07-2013 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35592457)
Incensed at price increase. Nearly a pound more each month. How can I afford to smoke 40 a day and feed the kids.

Get a job?
Or sell your least favourite kid.

DocDepraved 06-07-2013 11:05

A few people in here are saying why moan its only a few pence. Well This is why im bloody annoyed at this.

My Tarriff is 30.99 per month for 2 years. Basically x amount of that is for the cost of my mobile and x amount is cost of the actual tariff ( as in calls, text etc etc )

Lets say 15 a month is for cost of phone and 15.99 a month for the actual usage. This means when I took contract I paid them 360 for my phone.

As they are increasing the 2.9% on the whole 30.99 they are actually now telling me that even though I signed a contract and agreed that I would buy my phone at 360 and pay 15.99 a month for usage they have now decided to increase how much I would pay for my phone.

I spoke to someone from VM a minute ago and she actually stated to me that yes the increase is actually increasing the cost of my phone purchase from them.

This is unlawful. I will be writing to ofcom to complain about this. I do not mind if they increase the cost of using the phone but to charge me more for the actual hardware that I purchased the day I signed the contract ( and paying for monthly ) is outright bloody wrong.

I also asked about cancelling the contract due to the price increase. Now legally I should be able to cancel and only pay remaining months * % of Tariff which covers cost of device but no I would have to pay remaining months * full amount to cancel which means I would pay for usage which I can not use.

dilli-theclaw 06-07-2013 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35589461)
Coming soon !!!!

It did at that - got it this morning :)

007stuart 06-07-2013 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35592477)
Get a job?
Or sell your least favourite kid.

Benefits for 10 kids makes it difficult to get a job that pays enough to let me enjoy my lifestyle. Regarding selling my favourite child, I can't choose between Tyler, Jordan, Chantelle, Chardonnay, Senga, Shannon, Bailey, Billy=Jo/, Kane andMason. Any other ideas as this increase is really winding me up. My social worker says not to get stressed as it will kick off my drinking.

1701-e 09-07-2013 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007stuart (Post 35592700)
Benefits for 10 kids makes it difficult to get a job that pays enough to let me enjoy my lifestyle. Regarding selling my favourite child, I can't choose between Tyler, Jordan, Chantelle, Chardonnay, Senga, Shannon, Bailey, Billy=Jo/, Kane andMason. Any other ideas as this increase is really winding me up. My social worker says not to get stressed as it will kick off my drinking.

hmm... Chantelle isn't yours:D

Gary L 09-07-2013 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 35593558)
hmm... Chantelle isn't yours:D

She's mine.
I bought her and Chardonnay for £20 each :D

Chantelle can't cook to save her life. she makes a nice cup of tea though.

007stuart 09-07-2013 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary L (Post 35593681)
She's mine.
I bought her and Chardonnay for £20 each :D

Chantelle can't cook to save her life. she makes a nice cup of tea though.

If you are unhappy with any purchase please return for a full refund or exchange ( still plenty to choose from) . BTW there's a restocking charge of a case Carlsberg Special.

Still too upset about this price increase to go out for my daily 10 Lotto Scratchcards so borrowed £300 from Cashlady (Gutted Kerry Katona no longer the face Cashlady as she went bankrupt again.) and got myself an Ipad from a really nice guy on Gumtree. Sent the cash off today so should getit by the end of the week. Can't wait to get online to do the Lotto as I am sure my numbers will come up. A steal at £150 for the top of the range. It's BNWT. Says he has pal who works for Apple and gets 70% staff discount. Well pleased what a bargain. Decided to splash out on a couple of crates of wine with the rest to celebrate my good luck, got a £40 off voucher through the post and thought too good waste given my current state of mind.

Anyone up for joining in my Facebook campaign to see if we can get Virgin to reconsider the price increase, my 10 have already signed up.

howardmicks 21-07-2013 19:11

Wtf just checked on vm mobile price and the VIP price for s4 as gone down to £39 so not only am I paying £3 more than the advertised price my price goes up again tomorrow with the price increase.call to retentions tomorrow me think robbing gits !!!!